Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 12 of 15
Re: Chicago #2 show 25-June-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: maumau ()
Date: June 26, 2019 19:28

Hairball
I was going to write a proper review for the tour page, and still might do it later, but for now a few more random thoughts:

The stage setup is beautiful, and again my wife and I had a great perspective soundwise and visually from Sec 340 to soak it all in.
Mick is superhuman and unstoppable - truly amazing throughout the show, and considering what he'd recently been through made it all the more mind boggling.
There was mention of Keith being subdued and 'in his shell' for show #1, but was not an issue last night - animated. smiling, prowling around a bit (even to both stage extensions on the side), but first and foremost focusing on his playing.

The B- stage - best idea since the invention of the B-stage (!)...they should play at least one more tune out there. Keith went missing for a minute when Mick, Charlie, and Ronnie met in the middle of the main stage to go out to the B-stage, and I have to say I had a bit of a worry (was he sick?), but then he came running out to meet his mates all smiles...don't know if he needed a mini-break or what the issue was. Play with Fire was great, though Mick's nasally vocalisms came to the forefront ...a bit high pitched, but still all around greatness. Some issues with Micks guitar during Sweet Virginia, but no matter as I couldn't hear a problem with it.

As I'd already mentioned, the Midnight Rambler screw up was a bonus, but when they kicked in to Paint it Black after the false start I was worried we might not get MR in full. Not to worry as right after PIB they reignited the engines and blasted off an intense version of Rambler in all it's ragged glory. Ronnie was clear and focused was great throughout the show, and while his solo's on Rambler were also good, there were times where it sounded a bit spastic and unhinged (typical Ronnie style really). His blazing solo on Ride 'em on Down was superb though, and even made Keith smile a bit. Charlie was great as always!

Loved Keith's set as always, though would have preferred Happy over Slipping Away - Happy being in my top five favorite Stones tunes of all time.

All the warhorses were essential - Brown Sugar, Tumbling Dice and Honky Tonk Women were sublime, Sympathy was demonic, and IORR was a knockout (unlike some lackluster versions I've seen in the past). Even Start Me up which is perhaps my least favorite warhorse of them all was pretty darn good. And Satisfaction...great way to end the show with the ultimate classic.

Opening band Whiskey Meyers were OK and they're good musicians, but not being familiar with any of their music it all started sounding similar...sort of generic southern country rock with a ballad thrown in for good measure. Might listen to more of them on youtube later, but for now it's all about basking in the afterglow of a FANTASTIC Stones show! Still a million thoughts scrambling through my mind while I'm in post-Stones show bliss, and will continue to add more as they come in to focus.

thanks for sharing these moments Hairball, you really dig it! and sounds like a special night, cheers! smileys with beer

Re: Chicago #2 show 25-June-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 26, 2019 19:42

Cheers maumau.smileys with beer

Bought my wife an overpriced $14 beer w/nice souvenir cup for an extra $3.00, and on our way out found two more that people had left in their cup holders - three for the price of one - bargain of the night! smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-26 19:43 by Hairball.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: June 26, 2019 19:51

ahahahah thumbs up

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: June 26, 2019 19:52

The energy of the show is amazing, especially in different songs. The Rambler F-up and then PIB and then a full Rambler was the energy highlight for me, whereas SFM as the opener and DF were the highlights Friday.

I didnt pay attention Friday but did last night and I didn't see Keith take one hit off anything with smoke or any drink the whole show, I may have missed something but he was really sounding good and a little more relaxed than Friday when he seemed a bit nervous. Its gotta be hard to know you're KR and everyone is expecting the riffs.

Mick is just Mick, a marvel of modern science, like KR but in a different way, and Charlie in his modest way, and Ronnie in his reformed way, his playing was very good, and keeps getting better each tour. Saw him walking on Michigan ave between shows this weekend and we chatted a bit and I told him how good he sounded and he said "you think I'm getting better?" and it was a bit awkward but a serious moment as it was a real conversation and I believe he knows that his playing suffered and now as he's sober its getting better and better. Daryl nails the bass riff in MY and they let him play it a bit longer last night I think that was a highlight as he's so funky and good, and thats a perfect bass riff to show off how good he is. Having the Matt/Horns and back up singers so far to the sides is probably better as it really focuses everyone on the band, but I do miss some of the interaction with the crowd from Bernard/Sasha but I was on the other side of a very wide stage so maybe will be better from Pit 1 at another show.

We were in Pit 2 last night up against the back fence in the middle, wished I had gotten the beginning of Rambler #1 filmed in the wrong key, for a minute I started thinking wow this sounds different and cool, then Ronnie took off his guitar to change to his MR guitar and then Keith took off his guitar and then it was only Bass and Drums and Mick, with Ronnie and Keith trying to change guitars behind Charlie, then an abrupt stop and Mick said "wrong key" and Chuck started laughing and then Mick and Keith had a fun moment and then they went right into PIB. This video misses the opening riff...

[www.youtube.com]

We exited the pit when we saw the drums rising on the bstage and then looped around and got right in front on an aisle a row from the stage, but security was too tight and didn't let anyone up against the rail - on Friday we came from row 1 behind the pit and they let us right against the rail and stage and I saw the same could have been done last night - but then you're behind the band. I posted those B stage videos last night under this thread.

Jacksonville next for me...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-26 19:58 by MizzAmandaJonez.

Posted by: dnewton99 ()
Date: June 26, 2019 20:15

Mick dancing like crazy towards the end of the show.. This show was tough to vid, people jostling, fan on catwalk in the way, some bright lights really taking over focus - I took much better vids from same spot in London..

But this one is okay to watch Mick dancing. [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: dgodkin ()
Date: June 26, 2019 20:24

I know the Houston show is still a month away,and the setlist will change with exceptions of the usuals,but im crossing fingers toes whatever I have , in hoping we get the play with fire, sweet virginia acoustic set here.

Posted by: lougio ()
Date: June 26, 2019 20:28

Last nights set list was just about perfect. I will be at the Boston show and will be praying that we get the same.I haven't heard Sweet Virginia live since 1972.
Love It !!!!

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: June 26, 2019 20:29

Keith nailed Monkey Man!

Not the easiest riff but he was spot on.

This cat has some fuel left in the tank.

Bravo, I knew it and love it!

Posted by: bam ()
Date: June 26, 2019 21:01

This was my 10th show since '72; first since '13. I thought it was the Rolling Stones, so it was great, but it wasn't in the top shows I've seen, and wasn't at the level of Philadelphia 2 in '13.

I was towards the front and side of section A, on the floor. The sound was usually good, but one or the other of the guitars occasionally dropped out. For example, at the end of PIB (which was excellent) I could only hear one guitar.

As others have said, turn up the mike on Sasha! Sheesh. Turn it up louder than it was, and from the beginning of GS!

Mick was singing well, and commanding the stage well. His dancing was excellent. He was conserving energy compared to many past shows, which is understandable. He's awesome. While the stage was so large that I couldn't keep my eye on him all the time, I didn't see him run sideways or up to the B stage, and didn't see his signature fast skip-step.

Keith was concentrating and playing well most of the night. There was very little posing or playing to the crowd. There were a couple of solos that didn't go anywhere (like Brown Sugar), but most were played well, and he nailed the key riffs. He seemed looser than the videos from Friday. Keith's singing was a little too soft, and his voice was a bit strained. Keith's guitar playing on his two songs was very good.

Ronnie played very well, especially at the beginning of the concert. He seemed to me to be checking on Keith at the beginning and doubling a couple of the parts, then decided that Keith was good. (That may just be my imagination, but I was watching them a lot.)

Charlie is my darling. He was particularly great on PIB and MR. He smiled a few times.

The PIB-MR f up was great fun. Watching Keith say it was his fault, and then Mick and Keith hug, was one of the highlights of the show.

Other highlights for me: the acoustic set, PIB, Monkey Man, and particularly well played SMU and Satisfaction.

Not so highlights: GS has lost its menace, and I didn't like Ronnie's solos in MR, though Mick's harmonica was fun.

The crowd was pretty young, and didn't know all the songs. Even some of the old folks didn't know Keith's songs.

In summary, great to see them, the crowd enjoyed itself, and it's amazing that they can do this, and do this so well. They are The Rolling Stones. But, IMHO, not their best show ever.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 26, 2019 21:02

PaintitBlue
angee
Fabulous show, viewed from rail at mid-catwalk, Pit 2.
Better than Friday and that was good.

Mick smiles more than usual at both. Keith more animated, song choices better on Tuesday.

You all going to future shows are in for a treat. I have Denver and Miami,
but sadly, no more pits.

Was that a good spot in the pit? Wondering where the best locale is will be in there for Foxboro

PaintitBlue:
It was! The best for me. For Friday I was second row pit, pretty much couldn't see anything except when Mick went by. I'm about 5'1" and the front stage was too high, and two tall people blocked any view I had. When one left, toward the end, I could see Mick on the center main stage.

With Tuesday, rail on the catwalk I could see much of the center main stage, the catwalk of course, terrific, and the backs of them playing on the B stage. I alternated between leaning forward and back a bit, dodging the guy on my right who had the camera and arms aloft almost all the time. He had secured our spot, so hey.

Getting the spot was dicey, partly because security moved us all without regard for place we had in the line/crowd when the rains came for a short while. So those there for hours before got moved back when the space changed to one in the other direction. Of course, we were changed back shortly to the first space. People were anxious to get in and I think, more aggressive than usual. 'Nuff said for now, still in a glow I hope to maintain through my plane trip home.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Xam ()
Date: June 26, 2019 21:23

MidnightGambler
Last night was very disappointed for me.

On Friday Chicago 1, I was in section 104 and it was supposed to be a limited view seat. In fact, it was a super super seat with a great view and Mick at 15 meters from us when he came (at many occasion) on our side.

Last night Chicago 2, we were in section A on the floor and it was supposed to be excellent but in reality it was really bad with all those people talking during all the show and with their bloody iPhone for filming. For us, the limited view it was not on Friday but last night and I precise one important point, I am not that small (1 metre and 80 centimetres).

Even for the set list and the way they played, Friday was really really better. Sad Sad Sad on Friday was a killer and starting with SFM is just amazing.

The only funny thing last night was the false start for Midnight Rambler, a great moment.

If I had to rate those 2 Chicago concerts, Friday goes with 18/20, last night only 8/20.

Last night was my 83rd Stones show (starting in Paris on the Sunday 13th of June 1982). I hope it will not be the last one (I am returning to France tonight)...
Congrats on 83

Isnt it interesting how so many things have to come together for a show and how it all works out for a person and their view/opinion of a show. It is more than just seat location, set list, the band... it is more... more things affect it and some of it is luck... the weather, good vs moronic people around us, etc etc. I found on Friday how much a show can be altered by being surrounded by a bunch of idiots.

I am still trying to decide where is best to see this show, and it is not easy. Of course arms wrapped around the rail up front is the best view (kind of/maybe depending on stage height), but that spot is not easy. It is hours and hours of guarding that spot, standing the whole time, no piss breaks, no dancing around.

Then there is... ah... everyone knows the deal. So it is interesting reading you say (and I am not surprised) that supposedly bad limited views seats turned out to be a better show experience for you than being in supposedly better seats on the floor.

I still have several shows to go and I am not sure which tickets I want.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: June 26, 2019 21:25

Pick up our Lucky Dip tix ($26 each) and find we're in almost the last row of section 440 - we could've touched the top of the Sears Tower from there. Doors are supposed to open at 5:30, but 6pm rolled around before the gates opened. Our tickets didn't scan so we went to the resolution counter where I explained Lisa couldn't handle the height ; at first, we were told there was nothing to be done but after standing there for a couple of minutes, the counter gent went in back and swapped our nosebleeds for a pair on the 100 level...Yay ! We stroll around while Whiskey Myers is on before settling in. Nice people in our area including another pair of Dippers right next to us. Show starts with Jumpin' Jack and proceeds to become one of my top three of 30+ shows going back to 1975. Keith is on top of his game, best he's been in years; Ronnie handled the heavy lifting with ease and Charlie was the beat, ably assisted by Darryl on bass. Mick seemed to feed off the band's energy and go right over the top. And for all the "setlist is the same" whiners: 20 songs with 7 substitutions from opening night: that is more than a third. Wow. Great night of The Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Band in the World.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: June 26, 2019 21:36

Did Micks vocal delivery seem oddly affected during “Play With Fire”? It seemed so to me

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: June 26, 2019 21:39

seeing them in great seats in Foxborough, and planning on refinancing my damn house( LOL) for great seats 2nd show in Jersey. My better half Michelle may not be too keen on NJ. she's never seen them or even been to a real concert ever as far as im concerned. It's about time she did see some show.

the great news is this band is proving once again how damn great they are. the clips I've seen are energetic and overall sounding real good. hope they keep the momentum with switching things up to avoid getting stale.

long live the rolling stones.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: June 26, 2019 21:44

“Did Micks vocal delivery seem oddly affected during “Play With Fire”? It seemed so to me“

It seemed a bit off to me, too. As if he didn’t really feel the song. The guitar playing was very good.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 26, 2019 21:44

Hairball
Cheers maumau.smileys with beer

Bought my wife an overpriced $14 beer w/nice souvenir cup for an extra $3.00, and on our way out found two more that people had left in their cup holders - three for the price of one - bargain of the night! smiling smiley

Yes, at the 2015 Atlanta show, someone left a nice ass Pantagonia windbreaker in the seats near me. Thanks ......

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 26, 2019 21:57

That standard-tuning wrong guitar MR attempt is just gold. It's beginning to sound more intriguing the more you listen to it. I really like how Mick even tries to give it a chance by just going along, or does he sort of become aware of it during his first verse? A bit sheepish when he's asking "Whats happening?" but he surely must have known which song was supposed to be coming? You get a sense of how instinctive their approach actually is. There's also many different perspectives where you can see Keef pointing to himself and it's just sweet how they laugh it off and have a genuine moment.
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Xam ()
Date: June 26, 2019 22:06

Nikkei
That standard-tuning wrong guitar MR attempt is just gold. It's beginning to sound more intriguing the more you listen to it. I really like how Mick even tries to give it a chance by just going along, or does he sort of become aware of it during his first verse? A bit sheepish when he's asking "Whats happening?" but he surely must have known which song was supposed to be coming? You get a sense of how instinctive their approach actually is. There's also many different perspectives where you can see Keef pointing to himself and it's just sweet how they laugh it off and have a genuine moment.
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Absolute 100% unadulterated SOLID GOLD!!! [www.youtube.com] I LOVE THIS BAND!!!

or as Hans says... I LOVE THE ROLLING STONES

One thing that is very interesting... as much has so many love to bash on him, who is the very first person Mick goes to when he is unsure what the @#$%& is happening? It shows how important he is to the band.

I love this moment, it shows that in a era where most "live" acts are 30-99% recorded playback, The Stones are mostly live.

Date: June 26, 2019 22:07

That was great! Thanks for the vid.

On the 7th day God created The Rolling Stones

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: June 26, 2019 22:12

Where can I get the bootleg of the show?

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: June 26, 2019 22:15

Christiaan
Minight Rambler with Com In To My Kitchen. Pit Keith side

[youtu.be]

Awesome.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: June 26, 2019 22:19

Great show, been watching youtube clips, great to see Keith being a bit more Keith Richards, man that must be hard to do in your 76th year, some nice song choices and overall very good for the second show i thought, this tour could build into something very special at this rate.

PS. i think i know what's wrong with Keith, he's actually doing this straight and sober and he's a bit nervous as a result, hope he keeps up the good work as this might be the tour he pulls it all together again.

Re: The Rolling Stones - Chicago 25-June-2019
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 26, 2019 23:13

tumbled
bye bye johnny

Chicago! Thank you for rockin' with us for two sold-out shows at @SoldierField! #StonesNoFilter

LARGE version

[twitter.com]

really spectacular photos with cartoon colors. Thanks for posting. Look at that hair!!!! fabulousness. that sure is a pretty fender keith's got on there.

nice to see the costume designer for The Cars is still working.
At least for the guitar section; it it's not feathers, Mick's easy on the red, apparently.
BV, please tell him "feathers." You can get close at least.
Bring one and point, and scream, "red, red." ty. i miss the feathers.
oh no auto play just went to the dam beetles i hate them.
hey somebody was pissed they didn't play sad sad sad last night.
I love satire!
miss amanda jones is my prediction; they will play it right after adtl and it will make history.
keith should sing connection and drop that mopey one.
or do a different slow one. maybe yesterday. that one was pretty big.
damn that auto-play, brb

Date: June 26, 2019 23:40

Thanks for the youtube links all of you have posted.

Both SFM and JJF have been a direct punch.

Unbelievable. Great. What a start!

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: June 26, 2019 23:51

[www.youtube.com]

I think it is pretty cool that the video technicians straight go into the red colors of Midnight Rambler although it is supposed to be Paint It Black. A great moment.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 27, 2019 00:03

bam
“Did Micks vocal delivery seem oddly affected during “Play With Fire”? It seemed so to me“

It seemed a bit off to me, too. As if he didn’t really feel the song. The guitar playing was very good.

Yes...nasally is the way I'd describe it, as if he had a stuffy nose resulting in a higher pitch...or as if he inhaled a bit of helium (lol).
Beautiful rendition nevertheless and really sweet to see just the four of them out on the B-stage. thumbs up

Posted by: dhinkle555 ()
Date: June 27, 2019 00:08

Here’s to all the upcoming shows getting the no rain set list & the B Stage. Was definitely a highlight of Chicago 2, especially from our seats directly across, Swction 108, Row 4 across the aisle from Section 107. Special to see Mick & Keith sharing vocals on Sweet Virginia.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 27, 2019 00:29

schwonek
[www.youtube.com]

I think it is pretty cool that the video technicians straight go into the red colors of Midnight Rambler although it is supposed to be Paint It Black. A great moment.

I was already thinking "this sounds wrong" before they realised and stopped: Keith must have started MR using the guitar tuned for PIB.

It takes a really well trained crew of under-the-stage musicians to fake a cockup like that....

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 27, 2019 00:42

They’re both in standard tuning.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 27, 2019 00:44

Nikkei
[www.youtube.com]

That was pretty funny indeed. It looks like they were going to try to wing it too with what looks like a guitar change (from the "sitar"?) to the Gibson LP for Ronnie and then back to the "sitar".

Lovely to see Mick and Keith huddle like in that old cartoonish picture, let's see...nope, can't seem to find it now.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 12 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1653
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home