Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Kinks Reunion 2019?
Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: June 24, 2019 19:05

Well not to take away from the excitiment of the Stones tour, this just came in.
Lets see if it really happens?

[www.independent.co.uk]

Re: OT: Kinks Reunion 2019?
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 24, 2019 19:18

This appears to be recycling Ray's remarks earlier this year when promoting OUR COUNTRY. Ray often teases a Kinks reunion whenever promoting a solo project. Dave then sets the record straight and lets the wind out of our sails. Not really expecting a true reunion. Overdubbed outtakes are likely to surface at some point. Wholly new songs are less likely. Dave has allegedly asked to co-write with Ray and even suggested releasing new material not using The Kinks name at one point. It seems unlikely Ray would be interested in collaborating in terms of sharing credit and royalties.

Date: June 24, 2019 19:49

Yes Rocky, I agree - recycling remarks and self promotion.

Date: June 24, 2019 20:24

i'll believe it when I see it

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 24, 2019 21:07

Article's dated 26 June 2018.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: June 24, 2019 21:11

bye bye johnny

that explains it then

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: June 24, 2019 23:44

keefriffhard4life

Bit like the Stones new album, then.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 25, 2019 00:29

….. might happen once they iron out all the kinks …….

ROCKMAN

Date: June 25, 2019 01:02

Oops! My bad. Sorry.
Back to Stones tour!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 25, 2019 01:27

bye bye johnny

kinky!

Date: June 25, 2019 01:28

jlowe
keefriffhard4life

Bit like the Stones new album, then.

yup

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: June 25, 2019 04:25

They should wait another 10-15 years...Then they will be ready to rock!!!! God save The Kinks!!!!!

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: June 25, 2019 05:03

I saw Dave Davies last year. Awful show.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 25, 2019 07:19

Listen, I'm knee deep in a Kinks mode right now, so this isn't the type of joke I need right now. As we see, its from last year, and at this point it really is a see it to believe thing. As I've said, its too late anyway. Would be great to see them play again but the opportunity was like 10-15 years ago. I genuinely think it wouldn't sound good nowadays. They are better solo. The only way I see it working is if they played some small theaters and did kind of a Storytellers type show. Those 3 and a small band but it doesn't necessarily have to be loud. Just go and hear 2 hours of Kinks classics. Unfortunately, no way they'd do that in America or ever get the funding for it. So honestly, as much as I want it, the time has passed. It happens.

But yeah, in the last week I've heard A Soap Opera, Schoolboys In Disgrace, To The Bone, Something Else, Dave Davies Rock Bottom live album, Ray Davies Storyteller album, and a smattering of other selections. This band is so god damn good.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: June 25, 2019 07:49

daspyknows
I saw Dave Davies last year. Awful show.

I saw Dave almost 20 years ago, and he put on a very entertaining, energetic show. It was probably a similar band. It's too bad Dave can't sing and play as well as he used to, though Ray isn't as good as he used to be, either. They might be better off releasing whatever studio work they have and forget any live performing.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 25, 2019 10:13

I last saw Dave a few years ago and thought his performance was sad. He still loves being in front of an audience, but he can't play well anymore after his stroke.

I saw the Kinks a bunch between 1978 and 1993. The old records stand up, but I have serious doubts that a reunion would be any good.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: June 25, 2019 11:21

If you want to see a Kinks show then the closest & best you'll get
is the Kast-Off Kinks.
Tremendous stuff.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 25, 2019 12:07

Adrian-L
If you want to see a Kinks show then the closest & best you'll get
is the Kast-Off Kinks.
Tremendous stuff.

Absolutely. And Ray has joined them on stage once or twice.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: June 25, 2019 16:30

Mick Avory in Goldmine Feb 2019-

GM: There’s been talk through the year of a Kinks reunion with you, Ray and Dave. Will it ever happen?

MA: Well, I said I would be open to doing it but it’s been up to Ray and Dave to agree on something and they didn’t so we never got there. As time goes on it’s looking more and more doubtful because everyone’s older and I’m the only one who’s really performing regularly. I mean, Dave had a stroke about 16 years ago and he’s never really been the same, which he wouldn’t be. So we’d have to have help. After the last time of discussing it, which was three years ago, we were quite serious about it. Ray said, “Monty Python has done it and they all hate each other”—or they hated John Cleese actually—“so just let bygones be bygones and go out and do it,” which I agree with but Dave had another idea so it never materialized and it’s a shame. But I can’t see it happening now but Ray has said, “Never say never.” If it were to happen it would have to be done in the correct way.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 25, 2019 16:44

Kast Off Kinks are the nearest thing we are gonna get I reckon.
Saw them play a few months ago here in Epsom and great musicians and vocalist.
Thanks to a couple of friends who are real big Kinks fans , got to meet Mick Avory and his lovely wife afterwards as well as the rest of the band.
Someone mentioned Mick was a bit knackered after the gig and me and my mate loaded his drum kit into the car.
He came across as a very nice ,genuine guy.
They always seem to be gigging somewhere in the U.K.

[kastoffkinks.co.uk]

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: June 25, 2019 17:21

A reunion at this stage would not only be pointless, but humiliating and depressing for everyone involved.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: June 26, 2019 01:11

I used to think the animosity between Ray and Dave was mostly a publicity thing to create tension and get attention. I knew Dave felt his brother lorded over him, but I didn't think there was real animosity.
But now it seems to me that Dave really has some long-standing resentments and dislike of his brother, and Ray is unable or unwilling to smooth things over.

Date: June 26, 2019 03:21

wonderboy
I used to think the animosity between Ray and Dave was mostly a publicity thing to create tension and get attention. I knew Dave felt his brother lorded over him, but I didn't think there was real animosity.
But now it seems to me that Dave really has some long-standing resentments and dislike of his brother, and Ray is unable or unwilling to smooth things over.

Always thought it was so nuts how the first thing Ray did after the Kinks was his Storytellers thing and so much of it was, lovingly, about Dave. Felt very genuine. And I know they bicker, but Dave always seemed like he held no grudges. They were great together, but for a good time there they were excellent separate too. They offer different elements of the Kinks and that felt refreshing at the time. Dave really is such an underrated guitar player, and the stuff he did in that band is legendary, especially since its not always such guitar driven music. So many incredible memorable riffs. And I know everyone loves Ray, but he's still never really talked about the way Lennon/McCartney, Jagger/Richards, or Pete Townshend is when he is clearly just as good if not better. A prolific talent that is rightly celebrated but I'd also argue not enough. They were an excellent band. Its kind of amazing they were together as long as they were. Never seemed like it was easy. So many great albums that it seemed didn't connect with audiences at the time and they just kept truckin on.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: June 26, 2019 03:37

Things looked promising three years or so back when Ray started seriously talking up the reunion but Dave did an interview shortly thereafter making it clear he didn't want to work with Mick Avory. (Or any other members of previous Kinks lineups) That seemed to sour things.

Date: June 26, 2019 03:42

roryfaninva
Things looked promising three years or so back when Ray started seriously talking up the reunion but Dave did an interview shortly thereafter making it clear he didn't want to work with Mick Avory. (Or any other members of previous Kinks lineups) That seemed to sour things.

It seemed promising when Ray showed up at Dave's concert. Some guy from Dave's band was on this forum and said he was super nice and they got along well and it was a thrill to meet Ray, which I can imagine. Then it seemed promising when all 3, including Mick Avory, appeared at a Kinks event. I know Dave hates him, no idea why. That seemed encouraging that they were together, but again, even so, it seemed far too late to actually do a reunion at this point.

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: June 26, 2019 03:50

Ah, the wonderful feuding brothers of rnr. What would we do without them? Noel and Liam Gallagher, Ray and Dave Davies, even Mick and Keith to an extent. Tabloids just eat this stuff up, as do I!

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: July 12, 2019 18:20

Rockman
….. might happen once they iron out all the kinks …….

Ha ha, I see you arent in US for Stones?

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 12, 2019 18:52

WorriedAboutYou
A reunion at this stage would not only be pointless, but humiliating and depressing for everyone involved.

I absolutely agree.
The Kinks are forgotten by the general public. They would have to play for a handful of fans in some tiny spot in Soho. The Kinks were always dwarfs compared to the Stones, Beatles, The Who. A couple of good songs they had, but so did the Searchers.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 12, 2019 19:27

HMS
WorriedAboutYou

I absolutely agree.
The Kinks are forgotten by the general public. They would have to play for a handful of fans in some tiny spot in Soho. The Kinks were always dwarfs compared to the Stones, Beatles, The Who. A couple of good songs they had, but so did the Searchers.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 12, 2019 19:28

[www.youtube.com]
The Kinks - The Hard Way (Live)

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1159
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home