Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 16
Re: The Brian Jones Resource - A companion to musician Brian Jones of The Rolling Stones
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 4, 2022 23:58

His Majesty
Taylor1
Hi His Majesty , Can you tell me if Brian is playing guitar on any of the jams from Their Satanic Majesty’s Outtakes and Sessions 2020video: [youtu.be]

It is most likely that the only guitar playing by Brian on any currently available studio recording from 1967 is his acoustic guitar playing on early takes of The Lantern. Keith takes over on acoustic at around 15 minutes in:

Brian sounds like he's having an off day at this session. Can hear why he moved on from playing acoustic to organ and why the organ is mostly mixed out of the official release.
Thank you. On the Satanic Majesty'sRequests and Outakes , 2020,which is on Youtube, there is what sounds to me to be the instrumental jam which became She's Doing Her Thing. There are two guitars on it. So Keith must be playing both? Or is one Brian?

Re: The Brian Jones Resource - A companion to musician Brian Jones of The Rolling Stones
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 5, 2022 00:40

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:31 by His Majesty.

Date: January 19, 2022 12:49

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:32 by His Majesty.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: January 19, 2022 13:34

^
Great!
How's your book coming along?

Date: January 19, 2022 13:49

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:32 by His Majesty.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 19, 2022 14:43

His Majesty
300+ pages of mess. I haven't had the heart to go back to it. I'm in no hurry though as more info keeps appearing to change things etc.

A wise decision, HM. I don't know to what extend you are familiar with one of Brian's "misterious" cousins (he referred at times to uncle Lewis), but I'm sure there is some more we don't know there.winking smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: January 19, 2022 14:54

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 19, 2022 15:05

His Majesty
The book is about the musical side, obviously there will be tie ins with other things which like in above November 1964 post. thumbs up

I know about the approach of your upcoming book. But ... the guy I mention is/was a musician too and ..... as such had a connection with Brian way back in 1956/57.
cool smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: January 19, 2022 15:07

Date: January 27, 2022 18:13

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:33 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 27, 2022 19:25

Wonderful stuff, His Majesty!thumbs up

Best luck to your research! From the base of what you have shared and knowing your profoundless in the subject matter, I am sure it is going to be a helluva book. The one I think is very much needed re Brian Jones. Yeah, take your time, but remember that the evil of perfection is one son of b...h. So, no problem if you feel there there are some things you are not so sure about. Those and errors always will be present...

- Doxa

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 27, 2022 20:28

Great stuff. I can't imagine Brian didn't play on What A Shame. It's such a Brian type song.

Date: January 28, 2022 01:10

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:33 by His Majesty.

Date: January 28, 2022 16:45

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:33 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 28, 2022 23:32

What an impressive project! (I have not looked at it before, due to my lack of adequate equipment.)

So saddened to read "Sometimes the truth isn't what you want it to be".

I had not the slightest idea about any of this. So early! A deep thank also from me to be given the chance to know!

Date: January 31, 2022 11:59

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:33 by His Majesty.

Date: February 11, 2022 12:57

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:34 by His Majesty.

Date: February 11, 2022 13:57

When I started to listen the Stones during the early 80's, of their early recordings "It's All Over Now" especially made an impression to me. Still then I think it sounded sonically damn relevant and fresh by the standard of the day. And it was especially those strumming chords that sounded so ageless and distinctive. Another such was the riff of "The Last Time", and funnily initially I thought both of them played by Keith...

(And as this being a Brian Jones thread, I am waiting the guitar experts to tell how 'simple' those Brian contributions are, as like the greatness of Stones recordings generally supposed to based on technical excellence...grinning smiley)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-11 13:57 by Doxa.

Date: February 11, 2022 14:08

Doxa
When I started to listen the Stones during the early 80's, of their early recordings "It's All Over Now" especially made an impression to me. Still then I think it sounded sonically damn relevant and fresh by the standard of the day. And it was especially those strumming chords that sounded so ageless and distinctive. Another such was the riff of "The Last Time", and funnily initially I thought both of them played by Keith...

(And as this being a Brian Jones thread, I am waiting the guitar experts to tell how 'simple' those Brian contributions are, as like the greatness of Stones recordings generally supposed to based on technical excellence...grinning smiley)

- Doxa

Both of those contributions are classic guitar tracks. The sound of that 12 string is ace!

Date: February 11, 2022 14:59

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:34 by His Majesty.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 11, 2022 18:41

Wonderful stuff. I wonder if Brian had a strange relationship with guitar playing? He was a fantastic slide player, but I can't really point out a non-slide lead that he played on. There's his riff on This Could Be The Last Time, but that's not really a lead. Other great slide players, like Duane Allman, had no trouble playing regular leads. I wonder if it bothered Brian that Keith handled all the lead parts while Brian just chunked away on rhythm? Did Brian privately try to play straight leads and just couldn't do it? And with only a handful of songs requiring lead, did Brian lose interest? Or feel like a failure on guitar? Maybe only Keith could answer that.

Date: October 20, 2022 23:59

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:34 by His Majesty.

Date: October 21, 2022 00:06

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:34 by His Majesty.

Date: January 9, 2023 17:31

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:35 by His Majesty.

Date: January 9, 2023 18:29

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:35 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 9, 2023 19:28

Just a quick thank you to His Majesty. Threads like this are what I truly love about IORR. All the best with your book.

Date: January 9, 2023 19:45

Rocky Dijon
Just a quick thank you to His Majesty. Threads like this are what I truly love about IORR. All the best with your book.

The same feelings from here.thumbs up

- Doxa

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 9, 2023 21:44

I wish the A Degree Of Murder soundtrack would get a proper release.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 10, 2023 02:11

Brian’s. Opening and closing chords are classic, one of the best of the 1960s along with George Harrison’s opening note and closing notes on a Hard Days Night

Date: January 10, 2023 16:08

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:35 by His Majesty.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1910
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home