Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 16
Re: The Brian Jones Resource - A companion to musician Brian Jones of The Rolling Stones
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 10, 2023 16:27

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:28 by His Majesty.

Re: The Brian Jones Resource - A companion to musician Brian Jones of The Rolling Stones
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 10, 2023 17:29

What if Brian had quit the band in 1968 and started a band with Jimmy Page and Hopkins. Sorta of like replacing Keith with Page.They’d need a vocalist.

Date: January 10, 2023 17:30

His Majesty
Taylor1
Brian’s. Opening and closing chords are classic, one of the best of the 1960s along with George Harrison’s opening note and closing notes on a Hard Days Night

I take it you mean It's All Over Now?
Yes, for me his playing captures the end of the relationship

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-10 17:31 by Taylor1.

Date: January 10, 2023 17:36

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:28 by His Majesty.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 11, 2023 04:34

Taylor1
What if Brian had quit the band in 1968 and started a band with Jimmy Page and Hopkins. Sorta of like replacing Keith with Page.They’d need a vocalist.

And what if frogs had wings???

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 11, 2023 06:11

Well guess the French would be ecstatic .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 11, 2023 10:38

I really enjoy this thread, really great.

Mathijs

Posted by: Congratulations ()
Date: January 11, 2023 11:15

Mathijs
I really enjoy this thread, really great.

Mathijs

Ditto! I look forward to the book.

Date: January 11, 2023 15:23

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:29 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 11, 2023 15:56

His Majesty
Last August I had the great honour and privilege to meet up with Barbara, Brian's daughter, and a very kinda fella who allowed us to play some of the amazing and rare instruments in his collection.
In the photos Barbara and I are shown holding the only other known Vox Bijou dulcimer outside of Brian's and one of three white 1964 prototype Vox Phantom MKIII twelve string guitars. Brian Jones and Hilton Valentine had the other two.

Some of the other instruments we got to play was the first ever Vox peardrop/teardrop 6 string, as well as Vox mando guitars and two of Bill Wyman's basses.

An amazing day!

Fantastic man!

Is that an UL730 lurking in the background?

Mathijs

Date: January 11, 2023 15:59

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:29 by His Majesty.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 11, 2023 21:38

Rockman
Well guess the French would be ecstatic .....

Tis true, Rockee, they would, but the frogs themselves, well, if they had wings, they wouldn't bump their arses!!!!

Date: January 16, 2023 18:59

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:29 by His Majesty.

Date: January 18, 2023 12:02

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:29 by His Majesty.

Date: January 18, 2023 12:21

Wow!! smiling bouncing smiley

I've always considered this as pretty much a duet between Mick and Brian. Amazing to hear them so clearly!

Am I the only person who thinks Brian sounds a little bit like a young Dave Davies?

PS. Any chance of isolating the vocals for 'Bye Bye Johnny'?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-18 14:53 by Congratulations.

Date: January 24, 2023 14:14

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:30 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 24, 2023 15:59

Interesting speculation by ALO. I have always found Brian's claimed interest in CCR a bit odd, but Andrew has a point there, or at least is trying to make some sense of it. (I quess Brian's liking of Johnny Winter, another uprising American 'blues up-dater' , would go in similar lines, another example to utilize the raspy 'Walking The Dog' voice, not to forget the use of slide guitar).

The picture Andrew paints of Brian's potential future rests on two features he was not known (to put it mildly) with the Stones: lead vocals and song-writing. Coming from his mouth, of all people, I find this very interesting.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-24 16:05 by Doxa.

Date: January 24, 2023 16:43

I recall reading a very early RS concert review in a book years back (can't recall which one), where it stated that Brian Jones sang 'You Better Move On'. Can anyone confirm this? It might've been the same review where the band apparently performed 'Girls', their interpretation of The Shirelles/The Beatles' 'Boys'!

Date: January 24, 2023 17:11

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:30 by His Majesty.

Date: January 24, 2023 17:13

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: January 24, 2023 17:55

My favorite thread, one I actually read thru (and tour info threads of course!)

Thx for sharing all this..

One question, I think I misunderstood you mentioning few or no photos of Brian at Chess sessions? During my visits there I seem to recall him in a number of photos on display, as well as a boot vinyl of those sessions I have with photos of him included.. Am I mixing up recording dates/different studios?

Date: January 24, 2023 18:25

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: January 24, 2023 18:39

Ah thanks! Apologies if I made you repeat yourself.. as with many things we sometimes have to hear them more than once to catch what’s said smiling smiley

Also, those pics you posted mentioning playing some of his instruments, for some reason they don’t show up when I click, any chance of posting them in some other format?

Either way, thx again

Date: January 24, 2023 18:47

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:31 by His Majesty.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 24, 2023 21:21

His Majesty
Best looking through the facebook page: [www.facebook.com]

Pic links seem to time out when posted elsewhere.

Checked out your site, awesome! One post that was interesting was the blonde girl in the audience at the TAMI show. Always thought she was very beautiful and now I read she dated Jeff Beck shortly after!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 24, 2023 21:22

His Majesty
I think the CCR thing, along with many things relating to Brian, has been overblown through repetition and the gradual snowballing effect that comes from it.

Actual accounts of those that played with Brian, or attempted to, in June 1969 do not tell of such focused goals or potent music. Instead it's vague talked of ideas of songs that not even Alexis Korner got to hear, it's aimless jams with Brian coming and going from the music room at Cotchford, it's lots of prescribed drugs and alcohol.

In the following pages of Andrew's book, he goes in to the health side of things and the reality of what that meant...

"... A physical revival had been out of the question for a long time."

Pleurisy, liver and heart disease is no joke.

He is quite cutting and brutal, but is this all that wrong a point of view?

"The swimming pool was an incidental, thrown in for Brian's closing night, for Brian had, for a fatal length of time, been drowning under the influence if life."

Yeah. Andrew most likely didn't have any longer a first hand knowledge of Brian's whereabouts, but is relying on second hand ones, like so many others (like us). Surely he might have heard something at the time we don't have access to, but still. So there is a lot of speculation going on, and like the ones about Brian's potential upcoming musical directions, have the conditional that the physical side or reality of the story doesn't matter.

But that of seeing some potentiality in his song-writing and singing abilities are, let me repeat myself, interesting, since he was the man who once judged that Brian is hopeless in crafting songs and who also kicked him off from a microphone.

That said, I recall the tone in his books being a bit apologetic towards Brian. I think he somewhere there admitted that of any people he was there talking about, he felt that he had most second-thoughts about Brian, His treatment or something (like re-thinking what he was like, etc.) But it is a long time since I read the books, so it could be that my memory is making me tricks. Well, what I at least remember clearly is Andrew stating that whatever shit happened, Brian, after all, lasted two years more than him...

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-24 21:31 by Doxa.

Date: January 25, 2023 01:03

His Majesty, do you think there are any recordings that exist in the Stones vaults or elsewhere of additional unreleased music Brian may have created for A Degree of Murder?Any music he may have created while with the Stones .Didn’t he tell Jimmy Miller during the recording of Beggars Banquet he was into making electronic music at that time?I think Anita said during the 1971 Rolling Stone interview of Keith Brian was recording more experimental music on his own

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-25 01:06 by Taylor1.

Date: January 25, 2023 01:09

Date: January 25, 2023 01:21

Posted by: ash ()
Date: January 25, 2023 01:29

His Majesty
Taylor1
His Majesty, do you think there are any recordings that exist in the Stones vaults or elsewhere of additional unreleased music Brian may have created for A Degree of Murder?

I really doubt it. One reason being he didn't even record enough for the film, the director had to re-use some of the exact same recordings in different places because of this. An argument could be made that this is quite common, re-using the same music in a film, but this is the directors pov and the music without repetition only comes in to about 20 minutes of music.

Some Morricone scores are about the same length. grinning smiley

One of the few times I got a response from ABKCO was on this topic. I asked if they had tapes for Degree Of Murder and would they consider releasing them as it would be of interest to Stones fans. I was told (via email) that they had no tapes relating to the film soundtrack. This was approx 3 years ago.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1845
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home