Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 16
Re: The Brian Jones Resource - A companion to musician Brian Jones of The Rolling Stones
Posted by: ovalvox ()
Date: August 15, 2021 21:55

His Majesty
All going well post pandemic, I'll be meeting collector Ali Zayeri in London to listen to acetate of the 1962 Curly Clayton session, Brian's Regent Sound acetate from 63/64 etc.

smoking smiley

Is this the Sure I Do and I Want You to Know sessions you are referring to? If so did you get to listen and more importantly what did you think?

Re: The Brian Jones Resource - A companion to musician Brian Jones of The Rolling Stones
Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 15, 2021 23:10

Looks great!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 24, 2021 11:41

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:35 by His Majesty.

Date: August 24, 2021 11:53

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-24 11:58 by His Majesty.

Date: November 15, 2021 14:33

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:35 by His Majesty.

Date: November 15, 2021 14:45

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:36 by His Majesty.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: November 15, 2021 15:14

^
Thanks!

Do we really know that it's Brian playing harmonica on Who's Been Sleeping Here?

I clearly remember Mick stating the he overdubbed the harmonica.
It was in a Swedish pop/teen magazine in 1967. There was a questions column, and to the question about who played the harmonica, Mick answered the he did, and that it was done by overdubbing.
Maybe the reason I remember it is that at the time (being 12 years old) I hadn´t heard or knew about overdubbing...but I was a Stones fan, so somehow it stuck.

Date: November 15, 2021 16:10

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:36 by His Majesty.

Date: November 15, 2021 16:57

His Majesty
Interesting and thanks! Will try and find that. Any help would be appreciated. Can you recall the name of the magazine or ones from the time? Bild perhaps?

No we do not really know. Given this, I'll change the credit on my site etc to reflect this new info. There's nothing specifically Brian Jones about the harmonica part other than that it's played throughout the track which up till then usually mean't Brian played it.

Many credits aren't certain, but things get generally accepted due to repetition and a loop of referencing which often leads to wrong credits sticking. Check how many books and magazines and websites say Brian played the brass etc on Something Happened To Me Yesterday... It was in actuality session musicians arranged and conducted by Arthur Greenslade, Andrew Loog Oldham's go to arranger at the time. The source for this is Andrew himself who despite being quite hated in Brian fan circles (not by me I must add, I think he's ace), has been a great help with this sort of stuff. thumbs up

Is it ok to use your comment as a quote on my Resource postings on Facebook etc? Something like...

"Do we really know that it's Brian playing harmonica on Who's Been Sleeping Here?

I clearly remember Mick stating the he overdubbed the harmonica.
It was in a Swedish pop/teen magazine in 1967. There was a questions column, and to the question about who played the harmonica, Mick answered the he did, and that it was done by overdubbing.
Maybe the reason I remember it is that at the time (being 12 years old) I hadn´t heard or knew about overdubbing...but I was a Stones fan, so somehow it stuck."
- rootsman, IORR - Tell Me forum.

Of course you can use the quote if you want.

And it could have been the magazine Bildjournalen, which I used to read. Likely summer 1967.

Date: November 15, 2021 17:02

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:36 by His Majesty.

Date: November 15, 2021 17:12

His Majesty
Thanks. thumbs up

This from Vecko Revyn. Anything in here suggesting it might be from this mag?

[img.tradera.net]

No, I don't think I ever read Veckorevyn.

Date: November 15, 2021 17:18

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:36 by His Majesty.

Date: December 15, 2021 14:03

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:37 by His Majesty.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 15, 2021 21:56

Sorry HM, but I think Brian's nice harmonica playing is totally wasted in this cheap rubbish song ... confused smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 15, 2021 22:03

So does that mean Brian was
the only Stone to record at Abbey Rd ????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 15, 2021 22:10

Rockman
So does that mean Brian was
the only Stone to record at Abbey Rd ????

Mick recorded there with Dave Stewart for the Alfie (remake) soundtrack as well.
[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: December 16, 2021 02:20

Hard to believe Mick is playing the harmonica on Who’s Been Sleeping Here.Sounds like nothing he ever played. More like Brian on songs like High and Dry

Date: December 16, 2021 09:06

He's obviously doing his best 'Dylan impression'.

Date: December 16, 2021 14:55

Date: December 16, 2021 15:01

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:37 by His Majesty.

Date: December 17, 2021 18:44

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 17, 2021 18:50

Beautiful!

C

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 18, 2021 13:04

His Majesty
A musical tribute to Brian Jones featuring autoharp and recorder.

Written and performed by Philip James Johnston.

That's wonderful Phil. When's the album coming out?

Date: December 18, 2021 13:09

I know this is off topic, but is it true that Mick plays harp on Prodigal Son while Brian plays the second guitar and Dave Mason plays the harmonica on Dear Doctor?

Date: December 18, 2021 14:36

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:38 by His Majesty.

Date: December 18, 2021 15:37

Thank you for the great info.

Date: January 2, 2022 14:38

Hi His Majesty , Can you tell me if Brian is playing guitar on any of the jams from Their Satanic Majesty’s Outtakes and Sessions 2020video: [youtu.be]

Date: January 4, 2022 17:38

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:38 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 4, 2022 18:11

His Majesty

Brian most likely played harmonica on Dear Doctor. Due to some similarities with Dave Mason's harmonica playing on Traffic albums I asked Dave if it was him, he said "No.". Here's an isolation where the harmonica is more clear: [youtu.be]

I have no doubt Brian played harmonica on Dear Doctor. As the acoustic guitar is clearly Keith I wonder why Dave Mason claimed he plays on this track?

Mathijs

Date: January 4, 2022 18:20

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 08:38 by His Majesty.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1213
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home