Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 22
Re: Chicago #1 show 21-June-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Date: June 22, 2019 21:39

MileHigh
It's nice to see them playing and having fun. There are (to me) lots of new names posting here and the superlatives are a bit much. To be honest the superlatives seem unreal to me most of the time. It's almost like it is shilling for the Rolling Stones.

I watched half a dozen clips and when Keith is not smiling and there is no twinkle in his eye he looks befuddled.

Glad you are so happy but somewhere there is a complete 1970 or 1971 concert sitting in film canisters on some shelf in some basement. Now to scan that in and remix the sound would be something really special.
Keith never smiles on opening nights in the modern days. He is a human, and has nerves, and needs to focus. During the tour he will loosen up. Still he played very good yesterday, which is not common for opening nights. Remember hamburg, or werchter which was the worst ever.

Re: Chicago #1 show 21-June-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: June 22, 2019 22:03

Indeed the superlatives are not motivated but still this premiere does not make me worried they will embarrass themselves on stage like Hamburg 2017 did. They make some mistakes here and there like always but overall they sound very similar to 2018 which is a good thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-22 22:04 by EasterMan.

Posted by: WelshEdge1 ()
Date: June 22, 2019 22:03

Keith’s lost his bandana?

The Rolling Stones - Chicago 21-June-2019
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 22, 2019 22:04

Mick Jagger Showed No Signs of Slowing Down During Rolling Stones U.S. Tour Kickoff in Chicago

6/22/2019 by Corbin Reiff

Kevin Mazur

The Rolling Stones aren’t merely a band, but a globally-beloved institution. For nearly six decades, the legendary English rock group has presented their era-defining collection of blues-rock hits to the global masses. Their mixture of eye-popping production, superb musicianship and raw charisma has long solidified their position as the absolute gold standard of the 70,000-seat stadium circuit. In a world where so many people can’t seem to agree on anything, the accepted greatness of the Stones is a unifying force, capable of bridging multiple generations and deep cultural divides.

The Stones have survived it all by this point: near-breakups, the death of one member, the voluntary departure of a few others, medical maladies, as well as all the typical travails that have doomed countless other bands coming up in their wake. Nothing can slow them down, it seems. For so long, it was common to wonder when it all might come to an end; now it’s hard to fathom what a world without the Stones might even look like.

Fortunately, we’ve haven’t yet to had to reckon with this horrifying reality, though this year we came seemingly closer than ever before. The band didn’t originally intend on kicking off the North American leg of their No Filter tour at Soldier Field in Chicago on Friday night (June 21). It was a surgery to replace one of the valves in frontman Mick Jagger’s heart several months that necessitated a postponement. There’s always been an aura of invincibility that’s surrounded Jagger, eclipsing even his imitable partner and “Glimmer Twin” Keith Richards, whose own brushes with death are almost too numerous to count. For the first time in 2019, he seemed mortal.

Perhaps seeking to prove that neither time nor a bum ticker can slow him down, the 75-year old singer was a paragon of unbridled energy and enthusiasm throughout the uncharacteristically chilly Friday night performance. From the opening notes of “Street Fighting Man,” Jagger proved across two hours and 20 different songs why he’s considered by many to be the greatest frontman in the history of rock and roll. There was hardly a moment in the show where he wasn’t flailing his arms, gyrating his hips, strutting or jogging up and down the lengthy catwalk and asking the crowd to give him more. We were all only too willing to oblige.

The Stones have been visiting Chicago for 55 years, going all the way back to their first tours of the U.S., when they cut tracks at the venerated Chess Records recording studio located just two miles up the road from Soldier Field. Though they originally planned on beginning this particular run in the sunnier confines of Miami, you could hardly have picked a more appropriate location to mark their American return. That being said, Jagger apparently also had some unfinished business in the Windy City.

“This is our 38th show in Chicago, and I still haven’t eaten an Italian Beef,” he admitted. Given his legendary level of fitness, it wasn’t exactly a revelation that Jagger has yet to enjoy the city’s signature, grease-laden sandwich. (If he deigns to give it a shot before the band’s next show at Soldier Field, I’d suggest popping a spare Lipitor ahead of time, you know, just in case.)

As the show progressed, it became obvious that the Stones have a problem unique to a band of their immense stature: they have too many great songs. Realistically, they could easily perform for upwards of four hours and not make it through a large portion of their most beloved hits. For the tour’s opening set, they made sure to pack in as many crowd favorites as they could alongside an impressive array of deep cuts meant to satisfy the fans who’ve already come out to see them five or 100 times before.

Early in the show, they busted out the Steel Wheels cut “Sad Sad Sad” for the first time in almost 17 years. That was immediately followed by Voodoo Lounge standout “You Got Me Rocking,” which made it into the setlist thanks to an online fan vote. Both songs were a nice compliment to the expected classics like “Sympathy For The Devil,” “Gimmer Shelter,” “Start Me Up,” “Jumping Jack Flash” and “Honky Tonk Women.”

Richards, clad in a leather jacket, teal green sneakers, and a long red scarf that dangled from his belt, got his expected moment in the spotlight midway through the show. With Jagger somewhere backstage, “Keef” cut a shamanic presence as he poured his heart out over gutwrenchers like “You Got The Silver” and “Before They Make Me Run.” As ever, Richards’ irreverent sidekick Ronnie Wood stood right by his side, pulling out haunting slide notes from the neck of his guitar while his friend crooned mournful tunes.

Though Jagger copped to first night of the tour feeling “a bit wobbly,” the rust wasn’t readily apparent to the crowd. By the time they made it to monolithic jam “Midnight Rambler,” you could hardly believe it’s been nearly a full year since this collection of musicians played together onstage. The song remains the ultimate expression of the Stones as a band. At one point, Jagger physically tossed Wood out onto the catwalk during the song’s epic guitar solo. Later on, he threw in a bit of Sticky Fingers track “You Gotta Move” near the coda. Even the normally stoic Charlie Watts cracked a smile from behind the drum kit as the Jagger huffed and puffed into his harmonica. It was one of those rare moments that forces you to stop for a second and just think to yourself, “Is this really, actually happening right now?”

The night ultimately ended like so many other Stones concerts have before this one with a loose, but extremely enthusiastic rendition of the band’s ultimate hit “Satisfaction,” kissed off with an explosion of fireworks high into the Midwestern sky. Ultimately, the show in Chicago was just another stop on a seemingly endless stretch of road that the Stones have been rambling down since their days as a barroom band performing for drunken ravers in London’s West End. By the look and sound of it, there’s no reason they should consider stopping now.

[www.billboard.com]

Date: June 22, 2019 22:04

This is awesome.

[www.youtube.com]

No need to worry about band's performance and power.

They still have it all.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: June 22, 2019 22:06

MileHigh
It's nice to see them playing and having fun. There are (to me) lots of new names posting here and the superlatives are a bit much. To be honest the superlatives seem unreal to me most of the time. It's almost like it is shilling for the Rolling Stones.

I watched half a dozen clips and when Keith is not smiling and there is no twinkle in his eye he looks befuddled.

Glad you are so happy but somewhere there is a complete 1970 or 1971 concert sitting in film canisters on some shelf in some basement. Now to scan that in and remix the sound would be something really special.

Interesting and perceptive comment MileHigh

In a way it's just as well because the first concert of a new tour combined with Mick having a scare and heart disease, i expected more interest and more comments about the show, maybe people only comment when there is something to complain about winking smiley

Previous tour starts would have gotten us to page 22 by now and lord knows how many youtube clips, is interest dwaining for the real fans of this band ? i think so. Plenty of comments also that most of the audience last night were casual fans, well more casual fans than usual i mean.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 22, 2019 22:07

EasterMan
Indeed the superlatives are not motivated but still this premiere does not make me worried they will embarrass themselves on stage like Hamburg 2017 did. They make some mistakes here and there like always but overall they sound very similar to 2018 which is a good thing.

Bullshit. Hamburg 2017 was a good gig. apparently you were not there, and watched it from your sofa.
jeroen

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: June 22, 2019 22:25

runrudolph
EasterMan

Bullshit. Hamburg 2017 was a good gig. apparently you were not there, and watched it from your sofa.
jeroen
I was there and Keith was indeed very worrisome. Glad he got back in shape. Also the tempos were quite slow and sometimes a bit dragging. Have to say it was the worst gig I've saw them playing wise. (didn't see them in 2007) The fabulous setlist and the new awesome production made up for it thou

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-22 22:27 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: June 22, 2019 22:30

Steve Jordan is doing a drum clinic today I think at Chicago Music Exchange...friends might pop in as it is a hell of a store. Just FYI.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: June 22, 2019 22:33

StonedRambler
runrudolph
EasterMan

jeroen
I was there and Keith was indeed very worrisome. Glad he got back in shape. Also the tempos were quite slow and sometimes a bit dragging. Have to say it was the worst gig I've saw them playing wise. (didn't see them in 2007) The fabulous setlist and the new awesome production made up for it thou

I thought that was down to Charlie, he had a back injury at the time, can't blame Keith for everything, although many on here would like to grinning smiley

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: June 22, 2019 22:36

keithsman
Big Al
Keith’s dye-job looks ridiculous. Everyone knows he’s fully-grey and balding. He looked fabulous last year, in my opinion. Anyway, more importantly. Great to see Sad, Sad, Sad back in the set-list. It’s first time since 2002?

Well most people know Mick and Ronnie dye their hair too so what's the problem with Keith dying his for a change.

At their age they can do whatever they like. IMHO, no one is asking for yours. Show some respect.

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: June 22, 2019 22:43

Whatever the case - Keith should hit just once his Tele after SFM or JJF has fisnished.

And he should hit it hard, the compete orchestra!

Just after Charlie finishes the last hit on his drums to signal the end, Keith should once more hit that last open chord!

Just as a staement.

It needes to be there

I'm sure!

Keith - do you hear me?

I've seen the show during the last two years in EU and whenever he did that, it was pure satisfaction.

SFM and JJF are killer songs in the set - they epitomize all what the Stones stand for. To hit that last chord after the song has (officially) ended, just must ring in our ear and stay there forever. Really. I'm serious!

Oh folks, I'm so *ucking PROUD ot this band!!!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-22 22:47 by waterrats.

Date: June 22, 2019 22:44

keithsman
StonedRambler
I thought that was down to Charlie, he had a back injury at the time, can't blame Keith for everything, although many on here would like to grinning smiley
From where do you know that? Didn't read that anywhere. I think it was Keith's fault at least on the songs that he started. Because the intros were already too slow. Later during the tour Charlie sped the songs up after the intros.

Date: June 22, 2019 22:45

runrudolph
EasterMan

jeroen
I was there. Not a good show. Second half of the show was betrer. Still a great night.

Date: June 22, 2019 22:48

waterrats
Whatever the case - Keith should hit just once his Tele after SFM or JJF has fisnished.
Yeah I always thought that. But he never does that, never did that for years. So I learned to accept it

Date: June 22, 2019 22:48

PaintMonkeyManBlack
runrudolph
EasterMan

jeroen
I was there. Not a good show. Second half of the show was betrer. Still a great night.

Date: June 22, 2019 22:50

runrudolph
PaintMonkeyManBlack
runrudolph
EasterMan

jeroen

Loved the gig and i was there.
Jeroen

Re: The Rolling Stones - Chicago 21-June-2019
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 22, 2019 22:53

bye bye johnny

That pattern looks familiar:

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: June 22, 2019 22:58

MingSubu
JadedFaded
The pits look really full. Still hoping for pit with my lucky dips ... but I am but 5’5” so maybe the pit won’t be so good for me. Anxious to hear what the pit was like tonight, stage height, etc from someone who was in there.

I was on the rail in pit 1. I'm 5 11. The stages wasn't that high, but I couldn't see Charlie and had to tippy toe to see keith. Camera man was in my way a lot too.

First time on the rail for the stones. If I get lucky with my lucky dips and get pit again, I'll probably stand about 5 to 10 layers of people back.

I'm a keith man, but it was nice focusing on mick. The band sounded great. Leith played very well.

Thanks, that’s helpful if I am lucky enough to get pit with my lucky dips.

Posted by: Madcap ()
Date: June 22, 2019 23:15

jumpingjackflash5
This is awesome.

[www.youtube.com]

No need to worry about band's performance and power.

They still have it all.

Amazing. It’s truly remarkable how good they sound given their age. I might cry on Tuesday night at the possibility that it could be the last time I see them.

Posted by: vibrolux ()
Date: June 22, 2019 23:24

beachbreak
Did Ronnie play the black Les Paul instead of his Strat?

That might make his playing be more prominent and different in this show.

Did Keith play his LP Junior at all?

There are pix of Ronnie with his L5 which looks kind of like an LP. I think Keith played his Jrs for the usual tunes, but it was kind if hard to tell from the Scopes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-22 23:25 by vibrolux.

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: June 22, 2019 23:25

StonedRambler
waterrats
Yeah I always thought that. But he never does that, never did that for years. So I learned to accept it

Hehehe, not acceptable!

He did it before.

He should do it on this tour. It's a safe deal, 100%, I promise!

Keith, do you hear me!

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: June 22, 2019 23:32

let me throw in an alternative 2 cents from section 335. could have been sitting in a section that had bad sound. for most of the night they were an unholy mess. that is more from the house mix than the band. too often you "saw" guitar playing but did not hear it. strong opening and sad, sad, sad rocked, with nasty guitars. you got me rocking was nasty, too. but the acoustic songs did not work. undercover and out of control would work better there. keith "fell down" on sympathy but funnily enough gave a good solo on honky tonk. also, bless his heart, after his songs keith recognized things weren't going too well and just stood there (like the first NJ show /NJ was good keith though) trying to make things right. zero crowd reaction for mick during midnight rambler (thought that was funny, they had it coming). the zero reaction seemed to be a good kick in the pants. had sasha turned off for gimmie shelter (?) and mick at the end of satisfaction (?). if they got a new sound guy he's gotta up his game by about a million. he's just gotta up his game period. opening night boo-boo's are not that big a deal, but they gotta get a lot better than last night for the $1000 tickets they are charging.

Date: June 22, 2019 23:32

The Rolling Stones Triumph in Chicago Comeback Show

Mick Jagger – in prime hip-shaking, troubadour-trapping fight mode – dismisses all health concerns as summer tour begins

By Rob Sheffield

Kevin Mazur/Getty Images

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: June 22, 2019 23:54

StonedRambler
runrudolph
EasterMan

jeroen

Was there, very difficult show

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 23, 2019 00:00

Just listen to a some songs of the set list.................they sound great to me.....the biggest surprise is SSSad I was never a fan of this song but it sounds fresh and bit with a 60's vibe......................

Date: June 23, 2019 00:21

Concert Review: The Rolling Stones — and a Healthy Mick Jagger — Are in Top Form at Chicago Tour Opener

By ALTHEA LEGASPI

Rob Grabowski/AP

[variety.com]

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 23, 2019 00:21

IORR editorial reports and pictures here:

[iorr.org]

Bjornulf

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 23, 2019 00:27

Big thanks to BV for all the time he must have spent, getting the reviews, pics etc. of Chicago 1 for all of us to see on IORR.

I know we will see it...... (but I don't expect it from him) ……...all again on each gig of the North America Tour. smileys with beer

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: June 23, 2019 00:29

I like the red/orange with blue hoodie jacket that mick was wearing.

Anyone know the designer!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 22

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1971
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home