Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Game 7, Stanley Cup final 2019...
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 16, 2019 06:59

Sounds good but 5 less games x 18000 attendance per game is 90000 fans at an average of say $100/ticket is $9 million in lost ticket revenue per team. Add the lost revenue from concessions/parking etc. and you're probably looking at a loss of almost half a billion in revenue for the league overall. Add to that the smaller player contracts because you're playing 6% less games. Also just as big would be less revenue from tv rights.
All I want is no more expansion after Seattle! The league is watered down enough as it is. You can move Florida to Quebec if needed since they just recently built a brand new arena and you know every game would sell out every game.

Congrats to the Blues on their Stanley Cup parade today. Hopefully they had a huge turnout!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 16, 2019 08:34

Teams that should move to Canada:

San Jose
Anaheim
Phoenix
Florida (Miami)

It's exciting for the game but in reality the expansion of the NHL is ridiculous.

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: June 16, 2019 14:15

GasLightStreet

San Jose
Anaheim
Phoenix
Florida (Miami)

It's exciting for the game but in reality the expansion of the NHL is ridiculous.

Well, living in Tennessee I can attest expansion has worked great here. As a Rangers fan living in this state, it is great having the option of going to Nashville once a year to see them. And I used to like having Atlanta as an option, too. I have even gone to Raleigh and maybe next year will try Columbus.

But, from your list, I would be in total agreement if Miami and or Phoenix moved with one going to Quebec. Canada with 8, U.S. with 24 sounds good to me and yes that should be it for expansion.

Date: June 16, 2019 21:02

tonyc
GasLightStreet

San Jose
Anaheim
Phoenix
Florida (Miami)

Well, living in Tennessee I can attest expansion has worked great here. As a Rangers fan living in this state, it is great having the option of going to Nashville once a year to see them. And I used to like having Atlanta as an option, too. I have even gone to Raleigh and maybe next year will try Columbus.

But, from your list, I would be in total agreement if Miami and or Phoenix moved with one going to Quebec. Canada with 8, U.S. with 24 sounds good to me and yes that should be it for expansion.

I get that the US is a much bigger country population wise than Canada so it's beyond obvious why there are more NHL teams in the US. Fortunately Atlanta failed again and Winnipeg is back. Quebec needs to return.

Seattle gets the next team and that's it for a while from what I understand.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 16, 2019 23:38

GasLightStreet

San Jose
Anaheim
Phoenix
Florida (Miami)

San Jose and Anaheim have been pretty successful franchises. Phoenix loses money big time. The arena is in Glendale, which is a fair distance away from the city centre. Florida is a money loser, too. Quebec and even Hamilton should get teams. Also, Toronto can easily handle a second team. If LA can have two basketball teams play in the same arena, I'm sure Toronto can have 2 NHL teams as well as the Raptors. One major problem with Canadian teams is that you bring in Canadian dollars but pay US salaries to the players so the exchange rate is a big factor.
There was talk of the NHL looking at Kansas City again since they have a new arena there. They already had the KC Scouts back in the 70s but didn't last too long. With Seattle getting an expansion team, it would be nice to see Portland as a possible relocation city destination. Would make a good Pacific Northwest rivalry with Vancouver and Seattle similar to the current MLS teams.

Date: June 17, 2019 06:50

DGA35
GasLightStreet

San Jose
Anaheim
Phoenix
Florida (Miami)

San Jose and Anaheim have been pretty successful franchises. Phoenix loses money big time. The arena is in Glendale, which is a fair distance away from the city centre. Florida is a money loser, too. Quebec and even Hamilton should get teams. Also, Toronto can easily handle a second team. If LA can have two basketball teams play in the same arena, I'm sure Toronto can have 2 NHL teams as well as the Raptors. One major problem with Canadian teams is that you bring in Canadian dollars but pay US salaries to the players so the exchange rate is a big factor.
There was talk of the NHL looking at Kansas City again since they have a new arena there. They already had the KC Scouts back in the 70s but didn't last too long. With Seattle getting an expansion team, it would be nice to see Portland as a possible relocation city destination. Would make a good Pacific Northwest rivalry with Vancouver and Seattle similar to the current MLS teams.

It boggles my mind how the NHL is all for places that are questionable (Florida, Texas, Nevada, Arizona, California) and turn their nose at Hamilton and Quebec.

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: June 17, 2019 15:11

GasLightStreet
DGA35
GasLightStreet

San Jose
Anaheim
Phoenix
Florida (Miami)

It boggles my mind how the NHL is all for places that are questionable (Florida, Texas, Nevada, Arizona, California) and turn their nose at Hamilton and Quebec.

The NHL had record Game 7 ratings in the U.S. this season. They have a huge financial deal from NBC that is expiring soon. They never would have got that deal in the first place without expansion. The NHL needs at least a token presence in all areas of the U.S. to get that money and NBC needs it to get 100 percent clearance from their affiliates which was always a problem here when the league was perceived as a "northern sport".

So, I understand why Bettman is obsessed with developing new territory for the NHL. All in all it has been a great success in Nashville, Tampa, Dallas, Las Vegas, Anaheim and San Jose. Raleigh works when they are good. Atlanta was a mistake, Miami was a mistake and Phoenix was a mistake. The thing that all three of those cities have in common is the NBA was already there. Dumb not going to places where you can be the only game in town.

Anyway, you got Atlanta to Winnipeg. If you get Miami or Phoenix to Quebec I think that would be great. I doubt you will get anything more, though. It is probably more likely Europe or Asia gets a team before a 9th team in Canada.

Posted by: Jeter1984 ()
Date: June 17, 2019 16:38

GasLightStreet

San Jose
Anaheim
Phoenix
Florida (Miami)

San Jose, despite an older building, is very successful. Not to mention the area they play in is growing. Makes no sense for them to move.

Florida, Arizona and Carolina are the 3 franchises that should move (but likely never will).

As for Quebec, there is a better chance Ottawa moves there than a US team.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 18, 2019 10:28

By reading the last few posts I get the notion that the NHL is nothing but a grand business scheme. What about sporting ideals and cultural values?
Is the heart of hockey really in California, Texas and Florida? I thought it was in Canada. And is it really good for the sport that Canadian teams are doing so poorly?

Posted by: Jeter1984 ()
Date: June 18, 2019 16:40

The only way to expand and grow the game is to have teams in the US.

The Canadian teams do very well. Toronto has been the richest team in the league forever and Montreal is up there too. The other teams all make money despite the currency issue.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 18, 2019 16:46

Canadian teams do well? Last time Toronto Maple Leafs won the cup was in 1966-67. If it's only about the money - why play hockey at all? Count the money instead. Richest club wins...

Date: June 18, 2019 17:01

Stoneage
By reading the last few posts I get the notion that the NHL is nothing but a grand business scheme. What about sporting ideals and cultural values?
Is the heart of hockey really in California, Texas and Florida? I thought it was in Canada. And is it really good for the sport that Canadian teams are doing so poorly?

In some parts of the US hockey is a huge part of the culture. But just like anything else, if money can be made from culture, it will happen. All you have to do is go to Mobile or New Orleans or Carnival Season and money is flying everywhere.

There was a big interest in hockey in California a long time ago - around the time Wayne Gretzky got traded to Los Angeles. That lead to the expansion of so many teams in the southern tier of the US. Not so much the Deep South but 2 in Florida, 1 in Texas (the Minnesota North Stars) and 1 in North Carolina (the Hartford Whalers). Winnipeg moved to Phoenix in 1996. Atlanta started in 1999 and then... moved to Winnipeg in 2011, after the same group that bought Atlanta almost bought Phoenix!

There are 2 US cities that have had a team and lost one... and got another one. Aside from Atlanta, the Colorado Rockies became the New Jersey Devils. The Quebec Nordiques became the Colorado Avalanche, the first team is pro sports to not have an S on their name (as far as I know, it was something like that).

Part of the reason for teams in Miami and Tampa is... snowbirds. Canadian and northeastern US snowbirds (from the Great Lakes and over). Florida (Miami) is a bunk team, they can't find a way to win.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 19, 2019 18:41

GasLightStreet
Stoneage

In some parts of the US hockey is a huge part of the culture. But just like anything else, if money can be made from culture, it will happen. All you have to do is go to Mobile or New Orleans or Carnival Season and money is flying everywhere.

There was a big interest in hockey in California a long time ago - around the time Wayne Gretzky got traded to Los Angeles. That lead to the expansion of so many teams in the southern tier of the US. Not so much the Deep South but 2 in Florida, 1 in Texas (the Minnesota North Stars) and 1 in North Carolina (the Hartford Whalers). Winnipeg moved to Phoenix in 1996. Atlanta started in 1999 and then... moved to Winnipeg in 2011, after the same group that bought Atlanta almost bought Phoenix!

There are 2 US cities that have had a team and lost one... and got another one. Aside from Atlanta, the Colorado Rockies became the New Jersey Devils. The Quebec Nordiques became the Colorado Avalanche, the first team is pro sports to not have an S on their name (as far as I know, it was something like that).
Never thought of that! Interesting.

However, you're forgetting the two Sox (Red and White) teams.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 20, 2019 04:49

Congrats St. Louis! Absolutely crushed the Bruins. Beat them at their own rough game and broke them.

Date: June 20, 2019 08:36

keefriff99
GasLightStreet
Stoneage

Never thought of that! Interesting.

However, you're forgetting the two Sox (Red and White) teams.

Well... that's why I said "as far as I know...", I forget about baseball! Haven't looked in to any other teams.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1562
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home