Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Mick Taylor influences
Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: June 11, 2019 16:34

vertigojoe
SomeGuy
Interesting matter for Taylorologists but a bit above my head, I'm afraid. What I would like to say is that I never understood why Goat's Head Soup and especially It's Only Rock n Roll don't seem to get the credit they deserve, being the last two records that Mick Taylor played on (and did some more than just performing, according to some). For me the huge drop in quality from Black And Blue onwards in the immediate years after Taylor left, only served to accentuate the fact that those albums belong to the big four as it were (the big six), more so than in any other period.

IORR for me is the weakest album of the 70's. Poor songwriting, drug burnout and self conscious parodies of what they had been. BAB at least is sonically fantastic, especially compared to the muddy and weak sound of IORR. I love Taylor's playing but I think the relationship had run its course, shown by his over playing twiddly diddly lead parts over live cuts from this era.

The Stones tried to produce their own album and failed. According to the Stones, Jimmy Miller was not up to it, if so, they should have hired any top producer of the era. Plus, the mix on that record isn’t up to the standards they could afford. With all that said, I prefer it as a whole to any album afterwards. I do like Some Girls and Tattoo You a lot.

I read the “noodle” and “twiddle” comments all the time and I don’t understand it. Taylor is playing razor sharp counter melodies in time and in the key of the song with dedicated phrases and purpose. The endless and pointless meandering that Richards and Wood “performed” so often over the years is what I can’t listen to. They’re literally playing over the top of Jagger the whole song, yet Taylor is the “twiddler”? Makes no sense.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 11, 2019 17:59

TravelinMan

I read the “noodle” and “twiddle” comments all the time and I don’t understand it. Taylor is playing razor sharp counter melodies in time and in the key of the song with dedicated phrases and purpose. The endless and pointless meandering that Richards and Wood “performed” so often over the years is what I can’t listen to. They’re literally playing over the top of Jagger the whole song, yet Taylor is the “twiddler”? Makes no sense.

It's probably because his soloing is so specific and also, it's what most people admire about his playing...

Keith and Ronnie definitely like to widdle widdle. Keith jumped on that quite early on. Have a listen to Paint It Black from 1967 european tour. Ronnie in 1975 is a widdle fest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-11 18:03 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 11, 2019 18:08

Lets just say that there can be a fine line between elevating a performance to greatness and ruining it .

At various times MT achieved both .

[He's not, of course, alone in that]

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: June 11, 2019 18:21

MT did elevate the stones live songs to greatness, that's the real difference as others could only embellish the material live. MT also took some of Dylan songs live to another level.

Date: June 11, 2019 18:39

OpenG
MT did elevate the stones live songs to greatness, that's the real difference as others could only embellish the material live. MT also took some of Dylan songs live to another level.

He definitely changed the music and the musicianship of everyone.

Almost like it's a different band. grinning smiley

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: June 11, 2019 18:51

k Taylor influences
Date: June 11, 2019 18:39

OpenG

He definitely changed the music and the musicianship of everyone.

Almost like it's a different band.

Great point - One great example is SFM - when he takes the band on his shoulders during the guitar appregio ending.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1492
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home