Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: An appreciation of the late Bobby Darin
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: June 9, 2019 18:36

A quick read on someone who made some great music. A number of his songs are part of what I call my "permanent music mix". I concur with what's noted in the article - his version of "Mack The Knife" is the best. I've linked to a few songs he did, just for a taste.

[theimmortaljukebox.com]

Darin and Linda Ronstadt

[www.youtube.com]

If I Were A Carpenter (I swear Robert Plant used this arrangement style for his version of this song)

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: An appreciation of the late Bobby Darin
Posted by: bob r ()
Date: June 10, 2019 00:01

Agreed-- Darin was pretty cool-- there was a lot more to him than the casual listener would think....

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 10, 2019 00:04

I heard Splish Splash on hit radio, then went forward and back from there.
Caught between two generations, huge movie star moments with American icon
Sandra Dee was all the 'entertainment' and other news talked about....
....i was way too young to go to those movies but i heard the hits on the radio and he did a lot of live tv.

there's something about him so soulful and natural and he was bursting with all kinds of talent; i was so brokenhearted when i saw that Kevin what's his name vanity project. this is one of the major rock and roll guys to me. he had 'swing' in his phrasing and a confident, original approach that was amazing.

His heart was with the times and culture that blew his kind of 'Sammy Davis' nightclub stuff,
out of the young record buying public,
but i was also, and still am, a fan. When he stopped wearing a toupee and would sing acoustic folks songs; well, i'm not saying it's Segovia or Caruso; or maybe not even Dean Martin; but a great, great vocal sound; a very decent multi-instrumentalist; OK, that's show-off stuff in a club act; but he was a real musician who felt it and wanted to be in the band too....

Splish Splash knocked the hell out of me. I was born 51, I'm old like Rockman, and don't remember when they came out; but i got that single and played it ten thousand times...
...for me it was maybe what Freddie Cannon's Palisades Park, or was it, Tallahassee Lassie, the rough 'out there' rhythm-party sonic
that was what Mick Jagger claimed was sorta in his head when he was writing Brown Sugar on electric guitar (with portable headphones in the Outback on electric guitar).

Darin obviously not the rock star, he went the way of Dion and other favorites
of mine when the UK Invasion, which I adored and supported vigorously, came to radio. But I always bought his stuff, listened; dug the way he got into things, and cared about what he was up to creatively; i didn't know about the illness and personal dynamics; the stuff of the Exploitation papers of the day.
But it SCREAMED FROM EVERYWHERE; it imprinted like the Eddie Fisher Debbie Reynolds drama ....and the birth of sadly departed Carrie, such a great writer and fun actress in the Blues Brothers trying to blow them up; i guess Star Wars too....
the Sandra Dee stuff was BIG BIG BIG like Elvis and Priscilla;
speaking of the Bill thread, she was, ulp, ....
never mind...

stay away from that movie; EVERYTHING about it is wrong.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-10 00:38 by hopkins.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: June 10, 2019 04:43

Anybody see the movie Beyond The Sea?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 10, 2019 06:59

...Yep … starring Kev Spacey …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: June 10, 2019 07:08

When I was 8 years old, I discovered Bobby Darin through the song Dream Lover. I loved that song, still do. He had a soulful voice and seemed to be more than that of a manufactured pop star, at least to me. Then a couple of years later, he came out with Mack the Knife. To me, he was the ultimate in cool, especially when I saw photos of him performing in night clubs, a drink or a cigarette in one hand. I wanted to be him (well, until 1964 when I saw A Hard Days Night and I wanted to be a Beatle!) Then he evolved into Bob Darin, and came out with If I Were a Carpenter, a beautiful, poetic song. What I liked about him then was that he was unafraid to change with the times, to reinvent himself.

I didn't see Beyond the Sea for whatever reason. I generally don't like biopics. But I was glad that there was a film about him. He was a true talent with a unique voice, so talented. He was taken too soon, I believe 37 years old.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1683
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home