Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rare Love You Live test pressings found.
Posted by: rodes ()
Date: June 9, 2019 13:09

3 Rolling Stones test pressings for an unreleased version of their 1977 live album Love You Live. This came from the collection of the late Earl McGrath, president of Rolling Stones Records, and manager of the Rolling Stones from 1977 to 1983.

Love you Live was issued as a double album; with the two discs coupled Side1 / Side 2 and Side 3 / Side 4. However at some point the group was experimenting with the sequence, and this set of three test pressings was made, which includes a third, never released extra disc, coupling Side 2 / Side 3. Even more interestingly, this third disc has "Earl McGraph" etched into the matrix on one side.
I think they were trying to figure out whether to couple it side 1/4 and side 2/3, which some records were sometimes coupled, for automatic changer record players; ie, you would stack the two discs on the ‘record changer’ turntable and when it finished side 1, the second disc would drop onto the player and play side 2, then you would flip the two discs, and it would play side 3 and 4.
These test pressings comes from author Joe Hagan, author of the 2017 best selling book Sticky Fingers: The Life and Times of Jann Wenner and Rolling Stone Magazine. Hagan interviewed Earl McGrath for the book, and after McGrath died in 2016, Hagen bought his collection of acetates and test pressings. These test pressings were part of that collection.

Matrix numbers are as follows:

Side 1/2 disc; ST RS 773937 - D Sterling (PR) / ST RS 773938 - E Sterling (PR);
Side 2/3 disc; ST RS 773938 - A (PR) / ST RS 773939 - A Sterling (PR) Earl McGraph;
Side 3/4 disc; ST RS 773939 - D (PR) / ST RS 773940 - D Sterling (PR)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-09 13:15 by rodes.

Re: Rare Love You Live test pressings found.
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 9, 2019 14:17

Interesting find,thanks.
Jeroen

Posted by: rodes ()
Date: June 9, 2019 18:03

Never seen another one.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: June 10, 2019 12:20

Too bad no unreleased tracks. Like more of El Mocambo

plexi

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: June 10, 2019 13:12

One vinyl is Keith and the other one is Mick; learned that fact from Keith's Life.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 10, 2019 14:51

There are some great sounding Love You Live outtakes - maybe 5 or so songs that didn't make the final album plus different mixes and different versions.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 10, 2019 19:36

Silver Dagger
There are some great sounding Love You Live outtakes - maybe 5 or so songs that didn't make the final album plus different mixes and different versions.

Tracks that were recorded for LOVE YOU LIVE but left off:

Hand Of Fate
Hey Negrita
Ain't Too Proud To Beg
Fool To Cry
Angie

Regarding the Mocambo shows it seems the following were recorded but left off:

Route 66
Crazy Mama
Melody
All Down The Line
LSTNT
Luxury
Worried About You
Dance Little Sister
Worried Life Blues
Rip This Joint

It seems that LOVE YOU LIVE could get an expanded reissue... which would be quite significant but there's LA FRIDAY.

They could do the same with STILL LIFE but there's nothing showing that anything else was considered for the album except for Beast Of Burden and besides they released HAMPTON.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: June 11, 2019 01:14

be good to get a love you live deluxe.

was my very first stones album, its a bit sloppy but grows with more listens and divides opinion like a lot of stones albums.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 11, 2019 19:22

Dont believe in expanded versions, they will give us unreleased concerts instead...i think we havn´t heard the last of 1981 yet...
Next vault release surely will not be from 1994-199...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-11 19:23 by HMS.

Date: June 11, 2019 19:35

HMS
Dont believe in expanded versions, they will give us unreleased concerts instead...i think we havn´t heard the last of 1981 yet...

You don't believe in expanded versions? Why? They exist.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: June 11, 2019 19:35

Amongst Stones Associates, Earl McGrath seems a bit of a mystery.
At first I thought he was a British Earl...ie a member of the British Aristocracy that Mick had brought in.
I believe he was 'President' of RSR for quite a number of years. But left due to lack of challenges? In other words, a capable man who wasnt allowed to develop the label.
He was probably better known to US observers of the Arts/Music scene.
To his credit, I don't think he has told any warts and all tell tale.

Date: June 11, 2019 21:17

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-11 21:18 by HMS.

Date: June 11, 2019 21:19

GasLightStreet
HMS

You don't believe in expanded versions? Why? They exist.

I don´t believe in expanded versions of Love You Live and Still Life, for reasons you explained in your last post. And Mick does not seem to be satisfied with what was recorded for Love You Live, he overdubbed a lot of his vocals for this release. And for an expanded edition it is a bit too late now for doing overdubs.

Still Live probably will not get that expanded-treatment because there must be several complete concerts from that period in the vaults only waiting to be released.

And I don´t think there will be an expanded Flashpoint because we will get Atlantic City sooner or later.

So I think they will leave their original live-albums untouched and rather focus on releases from the vaults and the unevitable No-Filter package that will come without any doubt.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: June 11, 2019 21:23

GasLightStreet
Silver Dagger

Hand Of Fate
Hey Negrita
Ain't Too Proud To Beg
Fool To Cry
Angie

Route 66
Crazy Mama
Melody
All Down The Line
LSTNT
Luxury
Worried About You
Dance Little Sister
Worried Life Blues
Rip This Joint

It seems that LOVE YOU LIVE could get an expanded reissue... which would be quite significant but there's LA FRIDAY.

They could do the same with STILL LIFE but there's nothing showing that anything else was considered for the album except for Beast Of Burden and besides they released HAMPTON.

Does it appear that there are any overdubs on these unreleased tracks recorded for "Love You Live" ? If so that would be more likely for them to officially release them at some point.

Date: June 11, 2019 23:06

TornAndFried
GasLightStreet
Silver Dagger

Hand Of Fate
Hey Negrita
Ain't Too Proud To Beg
Fool To Cry
Angie

Route 66
Crazy Mama
Melody
All Down The Line
LSTNT
Luxury
Worried About You
Dance Little Sister
Worried Life Blues
Rip This Joint

Does it appear that there are any overdubs on these unreleased tracks recorded for "Love You Live" ? If so that would be more likely for them to officially release them at some point.

I don't know. It's only speculation based on what's available to read at [www.nzentgraf.de].

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: June 12, 2019 13:20

I believe the left-over tracks from Still Life went to the King Biscuit Flower Hour radio broadcasts including:

Lat It Bleed - New Orleans
Waiting on a Friend - Pontiac
Under My Thumb - Pontiac
Going to a Go-Go - Pontiac

There's a few more.

Check out DAC-069 for the best Waiting on a Friend.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1913
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home