Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT Brian Wilson cancels upcoming tour due to mental illness
Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: June 9, 2019 02:19

marianna
It will be interesting to see if he will still do the Zombies tour in a few months. The tour that he cancelled had not sold well, at least in some places. The tour was also "Pet Sounds" yet again, which he has not performed well in years. He was in a wheel chair at his last concert.

The band always gets good reviews, while Brian himself has declined in recent years. Maybe they can eventually perform without Brian. They have Al and Blondie. Call it the Brian Wilson Band and perform all the Beach Boys classics, with some select shows where they perform albums that are preferred by Brian fans. Brian can turn up if and when he feels up to it.

Yeah that’s a lot of sense . Go see Brian Wilson’s band without Brian Wilson

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 9, 2019 02:22

The 1995 Brian Wilson film
I Just Wasn't Made for These Times was produced/directed by Don Was …….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 9, 2019 04:11

Cooltoplady
marianna
It will be interesting to see if he will still do the Zombies tour in a few months. The tour that he cancelled had not sold well, at least in some places. The tour was also "Pet Sounds" yet again, which he has not performed well in years. He was in a wheel chair at his last concert.

The band always gets good reviews, while Brian himself has declined in recent years. Maybe they can eventually perform without Brian. They have Al and Blondie. Call it the Brian Wilson Band and perform all the Beach Boys classics, with some select shows where they perform albums that are preferred by Brian fans. Brian can turn up if and when he feels up to it.

Lots of people go to see that very band each and every night. They're called The Beach Boys. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-09 04:13 by tatters.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: June 9, 2019 05:21

tatters
Cooltoplady
marianna

Lots of people go to see that very band each and every night. They're called The Beach Boys. grinning smiley

That’s my whole point Mike Love and Bruce Johnson did nothing but ride Brian’s coat tail. They wouldn’t know crap on hour to play Pet Sounds live. Stick with Kokomo Love you useless you know what

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: June 9, 2019 06:01

Cooltoplady
marianna

Brian has not been able to perform very well for the past few years. The other band members sing many of the songs as it is. The best part of his shows is his band, even when he was singing more songs and doing a slightly better job. If they can continue to get work and support themselves, why is that a bad thing? There are plenty of tribute bands making a good living at it.

The current touring Beach Boys are pretty much a tribute band with one original member and early joiner(and they have that license because Brian and Melinda voted in their favor, Brian and his wife had the option of voting against it). The Brian Wilson band have become a borderline tribute band, since Brian is participating less and poorly. They have Al and Blondie, so it may or may not be possible to reopen the license and have two Beach Boys touring bands. It would be a potentially good thing if they could work out a way for both bands to play the music. If the Brian band would quit doing Pet Sounds and do a more varied set, there is enough demand for both bands to play that music in different markets each year. They could coordinate their schedules to play in different places. Brian's music will continue to be played with or without him, whether it's the Beach Boys with Mike, Al with or without Brian's band, tribute bands like Papa Doo Run Run, or Dean Torrence's band.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 9, 2019 06:47

All forms of the Beach Boys should stop touring. Its not the Beach Boys with just Mike Love, and Brian Wilson really has declined too much in the past few years and lost key members like Jeffrey Foskett that it could probably have been over. His solo shows used to be nice because he was limited but sang a lot and did well with the material. As he worsened, the shows became less worth it. Just cause he's there doesn't mean its worth it. There was actually a period not too long ago where he was really good as part of the band.

The 50th Anniversary tour really should have been the end for all of them. That actually would have been fairly admirable and the last time they all sounded really good.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: June 9, 2019 09:00

There is something called Brit Floyd playing Pink Floyd music on American public broadcasting stations. County and state fairs are having their schedules stacked with tribute bands that cover Neil Diamond, Tom Petty, Led Zep, and other classic rock acts. Someone will fill the void, if none of the remaining original members tour in some form, under some name.

If Brian has any will to perform in the future, maybe they all could do a limited Vegas residency at some point for one last reunion.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: June 10, 2019 00:09

Agree with RollingFreak.. the 50th Beach Boys should have been it. It was such a great show ! Brian, Mike, Al were in top form-- Bruce Johnston didn't do much except cheerlead- but it was awesome-- should have ended there.
Brian even got up to play Bass on Fun Fun Fun --- he was in pretty good shape !

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 10, 2019 00:17

pmk251
I grew up in Southern California in the '60's and the Beach Boys' music defined my existence like the air I breathed. Cars, girls, the beach, one's hopes and fears, finding your place in the world...the world of those lyrics was right before my eyes. My heart goes out to the man responsible for those songs, a gentle, fragile soul.

I grew up in Brooklyn, New York and felt the same wave dude.
that stuff was National. we had a beach too!
ok not everyone nekkid like out here now ; hey i'm not complaining.
i betch kids in minnesota were buying those records.
it's chuck berry stuff with real passion; then the original genius of Brian,
the Amazing producer talent and writing talent and the Amazing, fricken voice of Carl Wilson; omg.
good for him; don't play till it feels groovy;
you earned that many, many decades ago.
and shows and tours.

friends who have worked around his shows do relate that he is shy, pleasant,
open sensitive person. hopefully his team is not as it used to be;
hopefully there are ways to not drug him stupid cause he's dealing with
shit. love Brian; always hope the best for him. Miss Carl very much.
A little too close to Dennis as I was friends with one of his close ones
while he was not being able to function or respond....
...I wish Brian the best; he's been through so much; even as a child.
He gets a lot of love and support from the Industry; i think he knows that.
and appreciates it; i think his manners expressed here so plainly is really him in tone; whoever might have
written that or helped him write it.
yeh The Mighty Mighty Beach Boys.
Hit after Hit after Hit; the aced the Chuck Berry stuff right out of the box
with Surin' USA and all those California Fenders in a row. All from Fullerton and Leo's shop in those days I bet....
....boy oh boy; it was Hal Blaine not Dennis in the studio;
but Dennis crashed things up with enough enthusiasm live.
the live early footage is such a gas.
i stayed with them with absolute dedication thru Surf's Up,
which I liked. I knew changes were up but there cuts I loved ...
i sorta lost track of their studio stuff after that always went
backward from there mostly.
the youtube vids of his conversations with the Wrecking Crew,
SOME WITH HIS FATHER BITCHING AT HIM, AND HIM BACK,
are pretty fascinating. I don't know about the personal stuff .,,,
it's very icky the years of struggle with lawsuits, and illness and landy; and over drugging and etc....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-10 00:28 by hopkins.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 20, 2019 21:30

Sort of puzzling - while I saw articles of the cancellations, I still see ads for his upcoming shows, which is it?

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: June 20, 2019 22:41

Looks like the tour is back on, with the Zombies?

Saw them do Oddesey & Oracle album a couple of years back, super great show.

[www.brianwilson.com]

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: June 21, 2019 01:12

hopkins
pmk251
I grew up in Southern California in the '60's and the Beach Boys' music defined my existence like the air I breathed. Cars, girls, the beach, one's hopes and fears, finding your place in the world...the world of those lyrics was right before my eyes. My heart goes out to the man responsible for those songs, a gentle, fragile soul.

that stuff was National. we had a beach too!...

This is going to sound like one upmanship, but I do not mean it that way AT ALL. When I say this world was right outside my door, I meant it literally. Our high school played Hawthorne High in football. The cruising route (from the A&W in Torrance to The Wich Stand on Slauson to the north) went right through Inglewood. The Beach Boys knew the route and those spots. The hot car guys were very noticeable on the streets and hanging out in their cars at those places. Look up The Wich Stand to see some fantastic Southern Calif coffee shop/car hop architecture. The mile long separate double lane on ramp to the San Diego Freeway was a frequent street racing site. At the end, after the overpass (which marked the one mile distance) the lanes split, one to the freeway, the other to side streets toward LAX. If the police gave chase one of the cars would get away. That area was a hot spot for the '60's American car culture covered in so many of those songs. I was never a part of that. I could not afford it. I drove a VW Bug.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 21, 2019 04:10

pmk251
hopkins
pmk251

that stuff was National. we had a beach too!...

This is going to sound like one upmanship, but I do not mean it that way AT ALL. When I say this world was right outside my door, I meant it literally. Our high school played Hawthorne High in football. The cruising route (from the A&W in Torrance to The Wich Stand on Slauson to the north) went right through Inglewood. The Beach Boys knew the route and those spots. The hot car guys were very noticeable on the streets and hanging out in their cars at those places. Look up The Wich Stand to see some fantastic Southern Calif coffee shop/car hop architecture. The mile long separate double lane on ramp to the San Diego Freeway was a frequent street racing site. At the end, after the overpass (which marked the one mile distance) the lanes split, one to the freeway, the other to side streets toward LAX. If the police gave chase one of the cars would get away. That area was a hot spot for the '60's American car culture covered in so many of those songs. I was never a part of that. I could not afford it. I drove a VW Bug.

That is so cool; i only now that area since the 80's and only a very small part of it, visiting or working and based in l.a. in those years.

Are you the same generation as those guys? I was 10 in '61;
the surf thing hit so hard; but i didn't have any actual familiarity or
connection to anything California; and wouldn't for years, I mean in person.

I was just cresting into buying single 45's and I'm a huge fan of the
60's music prior to, and contemporary with, the UK beat Invasion.
I still listen to Hey Little Cobra and a lot of the hot rod stuff too.
I don't have your depth of familiarity and feel for the area and times...
and really appreciate you sharing it.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 21, 2019 04:54

BluzDude
Sort of puzzling - while I saw articles of the cancellations, I still see ads for his upcoming shows, which is it?

June shows were cancelled. August and September shows are still on .... for now.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1506
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home