Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: RIP Dr. John
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 7, 2019 05:49

This haunting 17 minute tune from Spiritualized is epic thanks in part to Dr. John's contributions on piano (and backing vocals).

Cop Shoot Cop

Date: June 7, 2019 07:39

TornAndFried
If I'm not mistaken wasn't it Dr.John who played the Wurlitzer electric piano part on "I Just Wanna See His Face" on EOMS?
That was Bobby Whitlock

Date: June 7, 2019 08:00

TornAndFried
If I'm not mistaken wasn't it Dr.John who played the Wurlitzer electric piano part on "I Just Wanna See His Face" on EOMS?

Bobby Whitlock.

RIP, Dr John.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 7, 2019 10:19

I saw him live at the Indigo2 in London; great gig, albeit truncated by a Prince after-show party.

I love a wide range of his albums, from Gris Gris, the solo piano albums, and Locked Down. He also turned up, not just on Exile On Main Street, but on Hugh Laurie's Let Them Talk, a great album by an actor, Spiritualised's Ladies & Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space, and above all on The Last Waltz.

I also love the good dr's version of I Don't Wanna Know About Evil from Anutha Zone. It introduced me to the merits of John martyr, too.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 7, 2019 11:12

A tangential thought : the "legendary" taper/music fan Art Parr aka Whistler or Freezer told me he had tapes of private sessions of Dr.John playing to a restricted audience.
Let's hope that now both sides (John and Parr) are dead the music will be liberated.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 7, 2019 12:55

29th August 1971: DR. JOHN.
LP 'The Sun, Moon & Herbs' (Atlantic K 40250). Producers: Malcolm Rebenack
(alias Dr. John) and Charles Greene. Sound engineer: Roy Thomas Baker. Recorded
at Trident Studios, London on July 8 & 9, 1970.
- Black John The Conqueror (Malcolm Rebenack) -maybe with MJ
- Where Ya At Mule (Malcolm Rebenack) -with MJ
- Craney Crow (Malcolm Rebenack) -maybe with MJ
- Pots On Fiyo (Malcolm Rebenack) -maybe with MJ
- Zu Zu Mamou (Malcolm Rebenack) -maybe with MJ
- Familiar Reality - Reprise (Malcolm Rebenack/Jessie Hill) -probably with MJ
Line-up 'Where Ya At Mule': MJ (bvoc)/Dr. John (voc, p)/Eric Clapton (gtr)/Tommy
Ferrone (gtr)/Bobby Keys (tsax)/Chris Mercer (sax)/Carl Radle (bass)/Jim
Gordon (congas)/Bobby Whitlock, Doris Troy and P.P. Arnold (bvoc)/The
Memphis Horns (brass)/Fred Staehle (dr)/& others
[www.nzentgraf.de]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 7, 2019 13:18

I was so sad when I heard this . I enjoyed seeing Dr.John perform and really loved his music . R.I.P. Dr. John

Date: June 7, 2019 15:32

Hairball
This haunting 17 minute tune from Spiritualized is epic thanks in part to Dr. John's contributions on piano (and backing vocals).

Cop Shoot Cop

yes! Good call. My introduction to what became my favorite band.

Always loved Dr John; and my relation with him is much like with Van Morrison: where I liked the artist to begin with, and got one album, then another, then another. And I learned two things: that they were so much better than I had initially known, and that there was a massive catalog to explore.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 7, 2019 15:56

a great musician and character..

glad I saw him a few times.. one really memorable Neville Brothers show he and his band opened.. then he came on with the Nevilles and played some great guitar with them.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: June 7, 2019 17:49

This guy was everywhere. backing up so many concerts too. He was in on so many concerts around here in Wash, DC too. Thank you Dr. John.

He is on Let It Loose too.

By the mid-1970s, Rebennack had begun focusing on a blend of music that touched on blues, New Orleans R&B, Tin Pan Alley standards and more. In 1975, his manager, Richard Flanzer, hired producer Bob Ezrin, and Hollywood Be Thy Name was recorded live at Cherokee Studios in Los Angeles, California. The studio was transformed into a New Orleans nightclub for the sessions. In 1981 and 1983, Dr. John recorded two solo piano albums for the Baltimore-based Clean Cuts label. In these two recordings he played many of his own boogie-woogie compositions.

Dr. John was also a prominent session musician throughout his career. He played piano on the Rolling Stones' 1972 song "Let It Loose", and backed Carly Simon and James Taylor in their duet of "Mockingbird" in 1974, and Neil Diamond on Beautiful Noise in 1976. He also contributed the song "More and More" to Simon's Playing Possum album. He played on three songs on Maria Muldaur's 1973 solo debut album, including his composition "Three Dollar Bill". He sang on four songs and played piano on two songs on Muldaur's 1992 Louisiana Love Call. He was co-producer on Van Morrison's 1977 album A Period of Transition and also played keyboards and guitar. He contributed three songs as writer or co-writer ("Washer Woman", "The Ties That Bind", and "That's My Home") and also played guitar and keyboards on Levon Helm's 1977 release, Levon Helm and the RCO Allstars. He performed on the March 19, 1977 episode of NBC's Saturday Night Live.

He played keyboards on the highly successful 1979 solo debut album by Rickie Lee Jones. He toured with Willy DeVille and contributed to his albums Return to Magenta (1978), Victory Mixture (1990), Backstreets of Desire (1992), and Big Easy Fantasy (1995). In 1997 he contributed piano and vocals to the Spiritualized song "Cop Shoot Cop" which appears on their album, Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space. His music was featured in many films, including "New Looks" in National Lampoon's European Vacation in 1985 and "Such a Night" in Colors in 1988. In 1992, Dr. John released the album Goin' Back to New Orleans, which included many classic songs from New Orleans. Many great New Orleans-based musicians, such as Aaron Neville, the Neville brothers, Al Hirt and Pete Fountain, backed up Dr. John on this album. He also performed as the first American artist at the Franco Follies festival in 1992.

Dr. John’s longtime confidant and former personal manager, Paul Howrilla, was responsible for moving Dr. John from Los Angeles to New York and securing "crossover" work, as well as modifying Dr. John’s image from the 1970s to the 1990s. Paul Howrilla was the brains behind the scenes, as Dr. John would attest. They remained close friends. Dr. John also provided vocals for Popeyes Chicken & Biscuits' "Luv dat chicken ..." jingle, as well as the theme song ("My Opinionation") for the early-1990s television sitcom Blossom. A version of "Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans" with Harry Connick, Jr. was released on Connick's album 20 and VHS Singin' & Swingin' in 1990. Dr. John moved back to Louisiana in 2009.

His movie credits included Martin Scorsese's documentary The Last Waltz, in which he joined the Band for a performance of his song "Such a Night", the 1978 Beatles-inspired musical "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band", and Blues Brothers 2000, in which he joined the fictional band the Louisiana Gator Boys to perform the songs "How Blue Can You Get" and "New Orleans". His version of the Donovan song "Season of the Witch" was also featured in this movie and on the soundtrack. In 1996, he performed the song "Cruella de Vil" during the end credits of the film 101 Dalmatians.

Dr.John at the Liri Blues Festival, Italy, July 2010.
He wrote and performed the score for the film version of John Steinbeck's Cannery Row released in 1982. His hit song "Right Place Wrong Time" was used extensively in the movies Dazed and Confused, Sahara and the series American Horror Story: Coven. Dr. John was also featured in several video and audio blues and New Orleans piano lessons published by Homespun Tapes. Other documentary film scores include the New Orleans dialect film Yeah You Rite! (1985) and American Tongues in 1987.

Between July and September 1989, Dr. John toured in the first Ringo Starr & His All-Starr Band, alongside Levon Helm, Rick Danko, Nils Lofgren, Jim Keltner, Joe Walsh, Billy Preston and Clarence Clemons. The tour produced the 1990 live album Ringo Starr and His All-Starr Band.

In 1997, he appeared on the charity single version of Lou Reed's "Perfect Day". In the same year, he played piano on the Spiritualized song "Cop Shoot Cop ...", from their critically acclaimed album Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space. Frontman Jason Pierce, a fan of Dr. John's music, reciprocated by guesting on Dr. John's 1998 album Anutha Zone along with drummer Damon Reece and guitarist Thighpaulsandra. He recorded the live album Trippin' Live with drummer Herman V.Ernest III, David Barard, bass, Tommy Moran, guitar, trumpeter Charlie Miller, tenor Red Tyler, and baritone sax Ronnie Cuber.

In September 2005, he performed Bobby Charles' "Walkin' to New Orleans", to close the Shelter from the Storm: A Concert for the Gulf Coast telethon. This was for the relief of Hurricane Katrina victims, following the devastation of his hometown of New Orleans. In November 2005, he released a four-song EP, Sippiana Hericane, to benefit New Orleans Musicians Clinic, Salvation Army, and the Jazz Foundation of America. On February 5, 2006, he joined fellow New Orleans native Aaron Neville, Detroit resident Aretha Franklin and a 150-member choir for the national anthem at Super Bowl XL as part of a pre-game tribute to New Orleans. On February 8, 2006, he joined Allen Toussaint, Bonnie Raitt, The Edge, and Irma Thomas to perform "We Can Can" as the closing performance at the Grammy Awards of 2006. In 2014 he performed at the NBA All Star Game as did Pharell Williams and Janelle Monáe.

On May 12, 2006, Dr. John recorded a live session at Abbey Road Studios for Live from Abbey Road. His performance was aired alongside those of LeAnn Rimes and Massive Attack on the Sundance Channel in the USA and Channel 4 in the UK. He has performed the opening theme music to the PBS children's program Curious George, broadcast since 2006.

Dr. John performing at Le Poisson Rouge, New York City, 2011.
On July 30, 2006, Dr. John performed a solo piano benefit for New Orleans composer and arranger Wardell Quezergue (King Floyd's "Groove Me") at a New Orleans Musicians Relief Fund benefit at the Black Orchid Theatre in Chicago.[17] Special guest Mike Mills of R.E.M. was in attendance, along with an all-star funk band.

Dr. John performed the theme music to the Fox drama K-Ville. In 2007, he contributed to Goin' Home: A Tribute to Fats Domino. He contributed "Don't Leave Me This Way". In January 2008, Dr. John was inducted into The Louisiana Music Hall of Fame. Later, in February, he performed at All-Star Saturday Night, part of the NBA All-Star Weekend hosted by New Orleans. Also in 2008, Dr. John released his Grammy Award-winning City that Care Forgot about Hurricane Katrina's devastation in New Orleans.

In the 2009 Disney film The Princess and the Frog, Dr. John sang the opening tune, "Down in New Orleans". He reigned as King of the Krewe du Vieux for the 2010 New Orleans Mardi Gras season. On May 13, 2010, Dr. John played alongside The Roots on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon (episode 246) and was warmly greeted by Jimmy's first guest, Keith Richards. In June 2010, Dr John played at the Glastonbury festival, Shepton Mallet, UK.

Dr. John played keyboards and had a major role in shaping Gregg Allman's 2011 album Low Country Blues, which was produced by T-Bone Burnett.[18] In 2011, he collaborated with Hugh Laurie on the song "After You've Gone" on Laurie's album Let Them Talk. Also in 2011, Dr. John, Allen Toussaint and The Meters performed Desitively Bonnaroo at the Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival in Manchester, Tennessee, as part of the festival's tenth year celebration. The name of the festival was taken from the 1974 Dr. John album, Desitively Bonnaroo. The same year he was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame along with Neil Diamond, Alice Cooper, Darlene Love and Tom Waits.

In 2012, Dr. John released Locked Down, a collaboration with Dan Auerbach of The Black Keys, who produces and plays guitar.[19] The album received very positive reviews for its raw, Afrobeat-influenced sound. The Los Angeles Times said that it showed Dr. John "exiting a period of relative creative stagnation by creating something magical, the embodiment of everything he's done but pushed in a clear new direction". It won a Grammy Award, as did Auerbach for producing.[20]

In 2014, Dr. John released a Louis Armstrong tribute album, Ske-Dat-De-Dat: The Spirit of Satch,[21] on Concord Records USA and Proper Records in Europe. Dr. John described the inspiration of the album as Louis Armstrong coming to him in a dream and telling him "do my music your way". The Los Angeles Times said, "Tribute albums come and go, but it's a real rarity that can snap a listener to attention like Dr. John's new salute to jazz founding father Louis Armstrong."[22] That spring, "The Musical Mojo of Mac", a New Orleans concert to honor Dr. John, was introduced by Brian Williams and kicked off by Bruce Springsteen singing "Right Place, Wrong Time", with Dr. John and an all-star band which included event producer Don Was on bass.

Dr. John recorded "Let 'Em In" in the Paul McCartney tribute album The Art of McCartney. "It’s a wonder to behold, as the ageless Dr. John re-envisions "Let ‘Em In" as a laconic come on, an invitation to party or maybe something more, once a few more glasses have been raised", wrote Something Else. "At the same time, he ends up lacing the song with darker feelings, as well." [23]

Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl interviewed Dr. John about music in the New Orleans-themed episode of their HBO series Sonic Highways "including the hypnotic reveal of Dr. John’s given name)", wrote a Decider reviewer.[24]

From 2014 to 2016, Dr. John performed with The Nite Trippers, including at a Hollywood Bowl tribute "Yes We Can Can" for his late friend Allen Toussaint on July 20, 2016. Also performing Allen Toussaint compositions were New Orleans artists Irma Thomas, Cyril Neville, the band Galactic, and the Allen Toussaint Band.

In 2016, double album and DVD of the concert, The Musical Mojo of Dr. John: Celebrating Mac and his Music, was released.[25][26][27]

In 2017, Members of Dr. John's band The Gris Gris Krewe with music director Roland Guerin performed "Right Place Wrong Time" in the video kicking off the 2017 NBA All-Star Game. Also in 2017, Dr. John was a headliner on The Last Waltz 40th Anniversary Tour with Music Directors Warren Haynes and Don Was, reprising his "Such a Night" performance from the original concert and film with The Band.

Also in 2017, his first single "Storm Warning" recorded as a tribute to Bo Diddley, was featured the Logan Lucky soundtrack; in April he joined John Legend (who inducted him into the Rock Hall) and Jon Batiste on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, and he appeared in Tig Notaro's critically acclaimed Amazon TV series One Mississippi.

On November 1, 2017, Dr. John celebrated Mac Month as proclaimed by the New Orleans City Council in a reception at Napoleon House, and his birthday was proclaimed Dr. John Day in the City of New Orleans for the fact that he "rose to international recognition for his musical funkitude in performing, writing and producing." Louisiana Governor John Bel Edwards also issued a Statement of Recognition to Dr. John for "embodying the culture of the state from New Orleans to the Bayou."

Dr. John’s birth date was corrected in 2018 when his hometown newspaper, The Times-Picayune, discovered in their records that he was actually born on November 20, 1941 as opposed to the commonly listed November 21, 1940. He added a year to his age as an underage prodigy with a local hit, so he could get into gigs.[28]

Battle with addiction[edit]

Dr. John had a heroin addiction; however, in December 1989, he completed his final rehabilitation stint with the help of Narcotics Anonymous and remained addiction free the rest of his life.[29]

Death[edit]

On June 6, 2019, Dr. John died of a heart attack.[9] His family announced through his publicist that he died at break of day, and "He created a unique blend of music which carried his home town, New Orleans, at its heart, as it was always in his heart." [30][31][32]

Filmography[edit]
The Last Waltz (1978) ... Himself (performs Such A Night)
Blues Brothers 2000 (1998) ... Himself
Top Chef (2013) ... Himself, Guest Judge
HBO Series “Treme” - as himself
Touched by an Angel[citation needed]

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 7, 2019 18:21

I can't remember too much ...

I believe I saw Dr. John back in the early seventies on a very trippy bill with Jerry Lee Lewis and the Allman Brothers Band...

RIP

Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: June 7, 2019 19:08

very sad to here of the passing of Dr. John,love the lp night tripper,R.I.P.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 7, 2019 21:22

Johnny Winter w/Dr. John from the Third Degree album, 1986: Johnny Winter - Love, Life, and Money

And Live in Session, Hamilton Canada, Recorded November 23,1983 (rebroadcast in '88):
Along with some excellent jamming, some casual conversation between Dr. John and Johnny throughout.

Johnny Winter & Dr John In Session

01. A Right Place At The Wrong Time
02. Johnny Be Good
03. Junior Parker's Song
04. Talk To Your Daughter
05. You Lie Too Much
06. She Doesn't Mean Mistreated
07. Tipitina
08. Such a Night

Line up : Winter - Guitar,Vocal
Dr.John - Piano,Vocal
Brian Russell - Guitar
John Paris - Bass,Harmonica
Terry Clark - Drums

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 8, 2019 02:28

Keith Richards:
Love you, Mac! RIP

[twitter.com]

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 8, 2019 07:56

NeverMakeASaintOfMe
TornAndFried
That was Bobby Whitlock

The only person I’ve ever heard say that was Bobby Whitlock was Bobby Whitlock.
He could be right but that sounds like a Dr John style song,it had such a -I walk on gilded splinters- vibe.
And speaking of that song,if I may step out of the “watch your words era” for a moment- In the early 70s the FM stations would play that song late at night and I remember coming home,stoned out of my fckng mind and hearing Dr John laying that Voodoo shit down,it would take you somewhere else that’s for sure.

RIP MAC

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: June 8, 2019 13:56

Maria Muldaur said she would dedicate her whole set to American legacy Dr. John tonight.
She recalled the recording moment with Dr. John and was singing "Brickyard Blues" and "Don't You Feel My Leg" gloriously.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 8, 2019 15:21

Tribute from Mick:

[www.instagram.com]

Date: June 8, 2019 15:52

Such a night

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 8, 2019 16:05

Dr. Teeth of The Muppets was based on Dr. John, as he tweeted in 2015. RIP

[twitter.com]

Posted by: z ()
Date: June 8, 2019 19:02

Funny...my wife made gumbo, I can't remember when was the last time she made gumbo...
And then I heard Dr John had died.

RIP Mac.

OT: Dr. John sendoff in NOLA
Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: June 13, 2019 14:44

There is something special and unique about New Orleans, if you've never been there I highly suggest you go. Check out the sendoff for the late, great Dr. John.

In New Orleans they through a party when you're born, throw a party when you die and have a party everyday in between.

[www.okayplayer.com]

Re: OT: Dr. John sendoff in NOLA
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: June 13, 2019 18:06

What a wonderful way to celebrate and acknowledge someone's life. I've seen footage of similar where the Saints Go Marching In is played slow and sweet, than, there's the raucous version such as here. We all should be remembered in such a way as Dr. J.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: June 13, 2019 18:22

This is just the preliminary parade to his funeral parade. They play slow dirges on the way to the cemetery and then raucous celebratory songs on the way home. Dr. John's was a life lived large, and will have an accompanying large send-off.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 14, 2019 00:13

wow.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 14, 2019 00:54

…. Hey that's a cool goodbye to the Dr …… sweet

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 14, 2019 04:22

Use to see him in the 90s at the House of Blues in Los Angeles. It's gone, he's gone, wonderful memories remain.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: June 14, 2019 05:08

MisterDDDD
Keith Richards:
Love you, Mac! RIP

[twitter.com]

Nice tribute.. Is that Professor Longhair's jacket behind them?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1333
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home