Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: David Gilmour auctioning off his guitar collection
Posted by: firebird ()
Date: June 6, 2019 14:47

David gilmour is selling the majority of his guitars for charity, including his famous black strat.

[www.christies.com]

I wonder if Keith could do the same, maybe not Micawber but where is the point of having 4000 guitars that never get played.

Re: OT: David Gilmour auctioning off his guitar collection
Posted by: Xam ()
Date: June 6, 2019 15:06

pHik

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-06 15:11 by Xam.

Date: June 6, 2019 19:30

firebird
David gilmour is selling the majority of his guitars for charity, including his famous black strat.

[www.christies.com]

I wonder if Keith could do the same, maybe not Micawber but where is the point of having 4000 guitars that never get played.
It is kind of frustrating. There are all these amazing guitars that are just sitting there. I think I mentioned this here a while back, but I saw a clip of some guitarist, who is considered pretty good, and he has a gigantic collection of vintage tweed fender amps. There are guitarists playing clubs every night who would die for just one of those.

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: June 21, 2019 18:19

$21.5m for 127 lots including $1.8m for Strat #0001 and $4m for his black Strat.

Gilmour Auction Results

Keith's net worth has probably just increased by about $100m...

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: June 21, 2019 19:01

Incredible....well done Mr Gilmour.
It's not the first time he has made a significant donation to charitable causes. Some years ago he sold his London home...for something like £4 to £5 million, I believe.

Date: June 21, 2019 19:04

Definitely charitable action. Sure would have though the money would have done more going to a different charity but that's his choice.

Bet the majority of these guitars will never see the dim lights of a club or concert hall again, a shame.

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: June 21, 2019 20:30

Why get rid of it. He could donate cash instead

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: June 21, 2019 21:46

black n blue

This is better than donating cash...but maybe he is doing that too.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 21, 2019 21:52

firebird
if Keith could do the same

The amount of money gathered would be enough to cure aids, cancer, malaria, hep C... you name it! grinning smiley

Funny how Gilmour fell in love with a 1969 Strat... that is one from the "inferior" CBS years. So much for purists who swear only by Leo-era instruments. "Gimme a L-series or nothing!!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-21 21:56 by dcba.

Date: June 21, 2019 22:03

I have a question about this auction for anyone. Why do auction houses such as Christies always seem to set unrealistically low auction estimates for items such as these guitars when we all know they are most likely going to sell for much higher? Is it some kind of psychological incentive for people to bid on them? Or tax assessment?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 21, 2019 22:38

black n blue

Maybe when you get older you ask yourself what can I do with 120 guitars and he probably has 30 left or so .......

Date: June 21, 2019 22:42

dcba
firebird
if Keith could do the same

The amount of money gathered would be enough to cure aids, cancer, malaria, hep C... you name it! grinning smiley

Funny how Gilmour fell in love with a 1969 Strat... that is one from the "inferior" CBS years. So much for purists who swear only by Leo-era instruments. "Gimme a L-series or nothing!!"

Most of the Strats that Jimi Hendrix,Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton played were also "post-CBS" instruments made after 1965. Those guitars used to have a bad reputation for quality and playability back in the 70's and 80's but now they are considered "vintage" and sell for thousands

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 21, 2019 23:29

TornAndFried
Is it some kind of psychological incentive for people to bid on them? Or tax assessment?

I think it's some sort of (not so) subtle message to potential customers : the market for [insert name of product sold] is quite strong and uptrendy.

Any auction where a large % of items are "bought in" smell like death and send a very negative message to the market.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: June 22, 2019 00:35

TornAndFried
I have a question about this auction for anyone. Why do auction houses such as Christies always seem to set unrealistically low auction estimates for items such as these guitars when we all know they are most likely going to sell for much higher? Is it some kind of psychological incentive for people to bid on them? Or tax assessment?

It's a psychological thing. I don't really understand it myself, but it's a known fact that when you are putting something up for auction, even when you know that the final price for the item is going to be very high, you have to set the starting price low or people simply won't start bidding.

Date: June 22, 2019 00:50

blivet
TornAndFried

It's a psychological thing. I don't really understand it myself, but it's a known fact that when you are putting something up for auction, even when you know that the final price for the item is going to be very high, you have to set the starting price low or people simply won't start bidding.

Not always.
Watch some Auction programmes on UK BBC television, for example.
Modestly valued items but the Auctioneer has to lower the price to get things moving. Or sometimes cancel...if they don't get even the Reserve price.
Gilmour and Celebrity Auctions are of course a different matter altogether.

Date: June 22, 2019 01:16

blivet
TornAndFried

I wasn't talking about the starting price but rather the auction estimate. Naturally there is some correlation between the two but it's weird how they always seem to give a low estimate for some of these famous guitars and memorabilia then act surprised when the item sells for many times its in total estimate price. I guess it makes for good press.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-22 01:58 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 22, 2019 01:46

TornAndFried
blivet
TornAndFried

I wasn't talking about the starting price but rather the auction estimate. Naturally there is some correlation between the two but it's weird how they always seem to give a surprisingly low estimate for some of these famous guitars and memorabilia then act surprised when the item sells for many times its in total estimate price.

It's because they haven't the slightest idea what things are worth they can start at 300.000 and it sells for 40.000 and they can start at 600.000 and it sells for 1.4 mil..........they rather go up then down..........

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 22, 2019 03:04

here's hoping santa claus picked up that black strat for me for christmas

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: June 22, 2019 04:26

Palace Revolution 2000
firebird

[www.christies.com]

It is kind of frustrating. There are all these amazing guitars that are just sitting there. I think I mentioned this here a while back, but I saw a clip of some guitarist, who is considered pretty good, and he has a gigantic collection of vintage tweed fender amps. There are guitarists playing clubs every night who would die for just one of those.

Joe Bonamassa is a collector of Fender Tweeds. I believe he actually has a small museum dedicated to them. Someone mentioned he possibly has the largest private collection of Fender Tweeds.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 22, 2019 05:00

I wonder if this means that David is all done with touring and recording. He said recently that he would like to tour again, but that he would only do that if he had a new album to promote. Considering that he is 73 years old, and considering that he only releases an album every 10 years or so, maybe he did the math and decided this would be a good time to pack it in.

Date: June 22, 2019 05:04

tatters
I wonder if this means that David is all done with touring and recording. He said recently that he would like to tour again, but that he would only do that if he had a new album to promote. Considering that he is 73 years old, and considering that he only releases an album every 10 years or so, maybe he did the math and decided this would be a good time to pack it in.

Seems like this sale is his way of saying farewell to his career as a musician. Perhaps he will release another solo album or some other kind of project but I doubt he will tour again.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 22, 2019 06:42

xke38
$21.5m for 127 lots including $1.8m for Strat #0001 and $4m for his black Strat.

Gilmour Auction Results

Keith's net worth has probably just increased by about $100m...

$21 million for a lifetime of collecting, while some baseball players earn that in a half a season.

Date: June 22, 2019 19:43

People may be over analysing. At his age, he has more money and assets than he needs. He (like Elton John and Eric Clapton) has a history of selling off assets for charitable purposes. And how many guitars does anyone really need...unless it's just collecting for the sake of it.
Far better than continuously building up the value of his Estate, only for it to get clobbered for tax on his death....or squandered by family members (or Governments of course).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1761
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home