Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: Rocketman (new film about Elton John)
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 12, 2019 02:41

Herald Sun ---- 12 June 2019

ROCKMAN

Date: June 12, 2019 13:23

It is hard to understand what else may be found in a film that is not in youtube, so someone may get information about his life and works. Unless the picture itself were a masterpiece.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: June 12, 2019 20:28

Just saw it for the second time as a friend wanted to see it. If I enjoyed it first time then second time it really knocked me out, maybe like lots of folks here were on first viewing. Maybe it takes more time for things to penetrate my dense head but anyway I really do rate it now.

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: June 15, 2019 06:04

Just saw this film today. Let me preface with the fact that I rarely like musicals. I didn’t like this movie. Didn’t like the fantasy song and dance stuff at all. The acting was quite good and Elton’s life is of course interesting, but the way the music was used to describe his life and feelings was, for me, a bit contrived considering that he didn’t write those lyrics and they were not about his life. Anyway, musicals just aren’t my cup of tea. I loved Bohemian Rhapsody, which was not a “musical”. Seeing portrayals of how Freddie wrote and performed music was simply showing a glimpse into his life. The scenes in Rocketman that showed Elton writing music were quite good. The song and dance parts just didn’t do it for me. I am very happy for Elton that he got clean and found love and happiness.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 15, 2019 06:19

rebelrebel
Just saw it for the second time as a friend wanted to see it. If I enjoyed it first time then second time it really knocked me out, maybe like lots of folks here were on first viewing. Maybe it takes more time for things to penetrate my dense head but anyway I really do rate it now.

if i could see it for the 2nd time first, I'd go.

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: June 15, 2019 08:11

hopkins
rebelrebel

if i could see it for the 2nd time first, I'd go.
lol

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: June 15, 2019 09:23

just got back from the late show.. loved it

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: June 15, 2019 09:35

Rockman

Herald Sun ---- 12 June 2019

So, um, Fa'afafine ?

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: June 15, 2019 17:14

As a huge fan and starter of the Elton John Album By Album Threads on the Hoffman Forums, I found the movie to be emotionally draining. I was able to identify every factual error as it occurred and was still able to enjoy it despite that. But, some were really lazy like giving Lennon instead of Long John Baldry credit for his own name.

I view RocketMan as an appetizer for what would have to be a four hour or more factual movie on his entire life.

Ironically, if you get Reelz Channel and can get by their ridiculous "Elton" that appears in some scenes, you actually get a better two hour viewing of actual life events that follow the timeline and go all the way to present day.

I'm happy for Elton RocketMan is doing good for him. It propelled his latest greatest hits into the Top 10 (Honk if you think the Rolling Stones could learn from that) and the new song (I'm Gonna) Love Me Again during the credits is great.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: June 17, 2019 14:18

I just saw Bohemian Rhapsody on a plane last night, and thought that RocketMan stands head and shoulders above it.

BH was such a pedestrian telling of an amazing life, so dull, and with no real insight into the complexities of Freddie.

He just kind of spiralled (very gently according to the movie) out of control ('are you high?'), at about the same time he came out as gay. The movie seemed to be rather judgemental, linking his sexuality and excesses.

Rocketman was a kaleidoscopic whirlwind through Elton's career, with many more warts, and a lot more joy.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: June 18, 2019 07:24

Pretty much agree with JadedFaded - I just saw it, and I didn’t really care for the Busby Berkeley style musical scenes to tell the story. And I like Bohemian Rhapsody better for using the real music. So overall on Rocketman - it does have some very good scenes, but I’ll say I liked it, but didn’t love it.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1860
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home