Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Rocketman (new film about Elton John)
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: June 2, 2019 23:56

Anyone who appreciates Elton's music, or has an interest in how Reg Dwight became a mega-star, should definitely check out "Rocketman". Truly one of the best films I've seen in years; a treat for the senses, visually and sonically. Everything else about it works, too, including the brilliant acting.

thumbs upthumbs up

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-03 00:07 by drewmaster.

Re: OT: Rocketman (new film about Elton John)
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 3, 2019 00:21

So it's not about Kim Jong-un then?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 3, 2019 00:25

Are there any sex-scenes ?????

ROCKMAN

Date: June 3, 2019 00:28

Rockman

There is one, Rockee ... a very uncensored sex scene featuring Elton and his lover/manager, John Reid. They're censoring Rocketman in Russia because of this.

[www.bbc.com]

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-03 00:29 by drewmaster.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 3, 2019 00:55

drewmaster

Anyone who appreciates Elton's music, or has an interest in how Reg Dwight became a mega-star, should definitely check out "Rocketman".

Keef probably won't .... winking smiley

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 3, 2019 01:09

drewmaster
Rockman

There is one, Rockee ... a very uncensored sex scene featuring Elton and his lover/manager, John Reid. They're censoring Rocketman in Russia because of this.

[www.bbc.com]

Drew
What a miserable country.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 3, 2019 01:11

i missed all the ones since johnny cash i think.
a little of ray; couldn't take it. the doors nearly killed me; hate to even mention it. bette midler was good live performances in that semi-Janis-semi-Kris and Barbara, semi lady gaga gaga and brad....geeze it's sad Elvis stopped making flicks....he coulda had a third coming. look at shatner. we've given him up for dead more times than there are planets; spock is dead and this guy is still getting parts....i think there was a mini jimi tv series; i missed that too...or something w jimi...yeah that Bobby Darin thing had me wanting to contract out mercenaries on Kevin what's his hame omg Bobby Darin; that could have been excellent; i missed straight outta compton; i think elton is not that interesting or ground breaking artists like Ike turner who got mudered in that movie; oh jeeze louise...i'm so glad i'm old...
great a gay love scene; at least the Russians have their wits about them....
tho they would have stopped the Stones.
we need the Stones live in moscow; not to self; contact mick's people.
bring extra eye liner

Performance was a good rock and roll movie.
most good rock and roll movies aren't about rock and roll stars or might not
even have any of them in them; i think. brb

they might use good rock songs from good rock artists; in good 'rock and roll' type movies....
but as for personalities; i missed the Queen thing too...
i dunno; i dunno if i can break the spell and approach it fairly and neutrally
having lived through so much of the times and seen so much of the classic footage and materials the actors, directors, and writers must have studied also.....
.....it's more geared for a younger demographic....the story lines are often hackneyed and cliched about the usual rises and falls and rises and falls in uber drama. i'm just an old fart tho; so if you're young and want to dig the exciting adventures of what was a pretty remarkable pop music career; well; he was colorful and wonderful when he still had that amazing, amazing soulful voice on that first LP of live w acoustc piano i think at the Troub....
i guess it IS worthy of dramatization ; i've just been burned so many times; and the music has personal meanings to me; the lyrics his partner wrote are sometimes stunning; just stunning almost breakthroughs in pop music writing like Burt bacharach with Dionne Warwick; no joke at all intended....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-03 01:19 by hopkins.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: June 3, 2019 01:14

hopkins
i missed all the ones since johnny cash i think.
a little of ray; couldn't take it. the doors nearly killed me; hate to even mention it. bette midler was good live performances in that semi-Janis-semi-Kris and Barbara, semi lady gaga gaga and brad....geeze it's sad Elvis stopped making flicks....he coulda had a third coming. look at shatner. we've given him up for dead more times than there are planets; spock is dead and this guy is still getting parts....i think there was a mini jimi tv series; i missed that too...or something w jimi...yeah that Bobby Darin thing had me wanting to contract out mercenaries on Kevin what's his hame omg Bobby Darin; that could have been excellent; i missed straight outta compton; i think elton is not that interesting or ground breaking artists like Ike turner who got mudered in that movie; oh jeeze louise...i'm so glad i'm old...
tho they would have stopped the Stones.
we need the Stones live in moscow; not to self; contact mick's people.
bring extra eye liner

Say what?

Date: June 3, 2019 01:17

hopkins
the doors nearly killed me; hate to even mention it.

Agree 100%; that movie was pretty unwatchable.

hopkins

Huh??

Drew

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 3, 2019 01:19

The RS played in Moscow in 1998 and Saint Petersburg in 2007...

Date: June 3, 2019 01:23

drewmaster
hopkins
the doors nearly killed me; hate to even mention it.

Agree 100%; that movie was pretty unwatchable.

hopkins

Huh??

Drew
Yeah, no kidding.

Wow, hopkins...not cool.

Date: June 3, 2019 01:25

i was being cynical; maybe unfairly; i added to the post; i remember his emergence with great wonder; that piano and solo voice and those country-ish songs killed me and i was a big fan....the sensationalism of an anticipated love scene, gay or straight, immediately for me, to some degree reduces the project to market-hype and exploitation; the i can understand if it's handled sensitively that that would be giving dignity to people expressing intimacy and all that...the Ike and Tina movie was a travesty of exploitation. and the press went on for a year before it premiered....
i don't like rock bios. i don't think they are done with other than very lowest common denominator type 'drama-rama' that is very similar from film to film imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-03 01:26 by hopkins.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: June 3, 2019 01:25

Um...happy Pride month?

Date: June 3, 2019 01:30

i take pride in my freedom of expression; peeps are quick to cast stones.
they are selling it with sex; it's a thing; it exists. it's already being focused in upon; personal relationships are always going to be key in a bio;.
i'll just apologize in the open in case I've left an impression that I'm disrespectful of any way people most naturally approach tenderness and sexual intimacy and respect with love. period.
i live in the real world; and an extremely culturally diverse environment.
one of the most so in the world; and I'm more than fine with it;
in ways I'm part of representing respect for that freedom all my life;
and the issues are not new; nor are the cliquish politicos that grow out of them.

for those who would wonder; I'm not 'anti-gay' and think it's ridiculous to hold a position against what is clearly beautiful
and natural for others who deserve every bit of respect for their choices, predictions and natural feelings.
My favorite non fiction cultural anthropologist of all time since childhood
was Gore Vial and I was told that he was a 'homosexual' (with no malice at all by a family member in the 50's)...
There is 'gay' in the most elegant, intelligent manner you could expect from a wonderful close friend who I see almost every day; a young man, probably not unfamiliar with prejudice but also living in an environment of acceptance and care and earned respect for his humanity. When you know a person well and love them you see great beauty in tendencies others in a more harsh era or environments would maybe be fearful of, not realizing their own insecurities with masculine feminine presentation issues...
...i've watched what's considered 'gay centric' politics in a lot of young people, at least the more politically active ones in Los Angeles, will end up One Issue advocates and I'm never into critical comprises based on someone being what would appear to be my racial or religious heritage by group.
I have a Lesbian friend who's a solid Trumper and has been all the way.
Go figure? She's been gay all her life and has her own business and own feelings and it will go toe to toe with someone else her own 'societal gender designation'. i think we all know that. There's always gay kids in junior high and high school; even back then in the fifties and sixties we were taught to never tease anyone about something like that; and more be the one's who will eat lunch and hang with 'them',. as they were back then....
...As far as the 'gay' thing; i think what ol' Reginald did with Axl and also Enimem was very healing; I think it took great heart and maturity and love to pull that off. I don't degrade his career tho honestly as a rock and roll fan past the fun radio hits when he started to go wild; (always in love with, and interested in what Taupin writes down; and also the amazing ability Elton had to translate that; it's indelicate to say for years he's also seemed, and i do not know him; but a really sort of very out of shape vocally and maybe otherwise with more the Vegas thing; so i honestly did stop taking him seriously and stop buying albums after yellow Brook road; i think some of his classics are among the best soulful pop records ever made and don't doubt he deserves a documentary or even feature; i'm sort of old and out of the culture; maybe this is the way people like to catalog their stars in the future but i'll always resist that as a fan who was there. I never saw The Doors live but i was with John Densmore at Gary Stewarts Tribute at Skirball Cultural Center there; where he played hand drums and recited a poem...
....but having made that Russian crack and getting corrected pretty quickly; also opened my eyes to that Enimem and Axl memories where he did a lot, I think,
to help a generation of younger gay kids that were rockers to feel that the stars loved and respected them and would show up in performance to say so.
That, to me, was significant.

...i'm personally not ready to automatically cede respect to producers and publicists for what could be a fun, but still essentially a rock exploitation movie. ahem.

Again; I'm sensitive myself in lots of areas and want to communicate to gay IORR women and men how much i love them and how little
inconsequential any of that essentially is in a social sense of equality as rock music fans happy to see each other !! and dance it off....

when drew and some toronto girl; two posters i respect and enjoy and look to; have questions; I've got to respond with true humility; i'm just one person and not such a great one.

---------

i still predict it will be littered with trashy drug scenes and cliched
everything else that would more serve to dim the actuality of the electricity he generated than carefully curated concert films would ala the Elivs docu with bits of actors narration.....for example....who are the writers and directors and actors?

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-03 09:58 by hopkins.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 3, 2019 02:14

I'm thinking of seeing it tomorrow, mainly as an excuse to go to my favorite pizza place, which is just a stones throw from the theater. I did find this article in Rolling Stone, having to do with all the film's factual inaccuracies, to be somewhat concerning. I know all these biopics like to play fast and loose with the facts, but to have him singing "I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues," at an audition, in 1967, when the song wasn't written until 1983, that's gotta make anyone cringe.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-03 02:16 by tatters.

Date: June 3, 2019 02:20

tatters
I know all these biopics like to play fast and loose with the facts, but to have him singing "I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues" at an audition, in 1967, when the song wasn't written until 1983, that's gotta make anyone cringe.

Well, under normal circumstances I would have, but this whole film was so fantastic and beautiful and sensitive and giddily enjoyable and entirely so much fun that I didn't. I think they were just having a bit of fun with this one.

Keep in mind, Sir Elton himself was Executive Producer.

Drew

Posted by: Ellipooh ()
Date: June 3, 2019 03:15

drewmaster
tatters
I know all these biopics like to play fast and loose with the facts, but to have him singing "I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues" at an audition, in 1967, when the song wasn't written until 1983, that's gotta make anyone cringe.

Well, under normal circumstances I would have, but this whole film was so fantastic and beautiful and sensitive and giddily enjoyable and entirely so much fun that I didn't. I think they were just having a bit of fun with this one.

Keep in mind, Sir Elton himself was Executive Producer.

Drew
I tried to overlook the time/song shifts, but it really was disconcerting. As a viewer, you’re naturally taken back to where YOU were when that song came out, and it never matches with what they put on screen. It takes you out of the moment (a mistake that Bohemian Rhapsody didn’t make). I left feeling very unfulfilled. I don’t think they ever made up their minds about the kind of movie they wanted to make. Not sure how, but they managed to make an ordinary movie — about EJ!

***Can't you hear me knocking?***

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 3, 2019 03:18

Deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-03 20:40 by bleedingman.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: June 3, 2019 03:51

My wife and I saw Rocketman last night. Both of us generally liked this film and enjoyed Taron Egerton as Elton but we liked Bohemian Rhapsody better.

Posted by: mjaggergirl ()
Date: June 3, 2019 05:28

I agree - I enjoyed it but do not need to see it again, but I would watch rhapsody again. Loved the costumes! It would make a great broadway show- or was it and I missed it?

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: June 3, 2019 06:18

Having lived through the era I find I have zero interest in seeing either one of Bohemian Rhapsody or Rocketman...and I mean ZERO interest...and I like Elton and Queen. I have to agree with hopkins that these movies are for those that weren't born yet. Like them, my interest is in rock biopics of people before my time on Earth like Elvis, Chuck, Jerry Lee, Buddy, Ritchie....and all the rest. If a Stones, Beatles or Who biopic were to come out I would buy tickets...for my grandkids, lol....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-03 06:24 by ThePaleRider.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: June 3, 2019 06:50

I just got back from seeing it now, and I was pleasantly surprised, it was a lot better that I was expecting.

The acting (especially Elton and Creepy Gay Manager) was splendid, and I liked the elasticity of time, not getting hung up on linear chronology, more like a kaleidoscopic array of memories. I thought the frequent flights into fantasy were pretty stunning too.

It still couldn't avoid a few rock biopic tropes - with the headlines/gold discs 'escalation to fame' montage.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 3, 2019 07:04

Funny, I think it won't be as good as Boheimen Rhapsody (which I was prepared to hate and ended up loving) even though I thought the trailer for this made it look way more well done than the Queen one. Looking forward to seeing it still but definitely think the low expectations with Queen are better than the high ones I'm going into this one with. I've thought this has looked so well done from the start that I feel I might be disappointed. If they did use Guess Thats Why They Call It The Blues in 1967 thats dumb. He has so many incredible songs, you could at least use one way closer to the actual time than a very obvious later song of his. Strange.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: June 3, 2019 07:35

get back honky cat.

Date: June 3, 2019 10:12

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-03 23:11 by hopkins.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: June 3, 2019 18:24

Find most movie biopics about anyone in any field formulaic. Lost interest in EJ a long while ago. Regarding mentioning hair transplants, hair product and Drumpf, mentioning hair products and hair okay, but, regardless of what's claimed, any mention of Drumpf automatically becomes political even if its said in jest. Can we leave the mofu out of the conversation, s'il vous plait.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 3, 2019 18:55

Deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-03 20:40 by bleedingman.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: June 3, 2019 18:55

dmay
Regarding mentioning hair transplants, hair product and Drumpf...any mention of Drumpf automatically becomes political even if its said in jest. Can we leave the mofu out of the conversation.

Irony impaired.

Date: June 3, 2019 20:02

Jah Paul
dmay
Regarding mentioning hair transplants, hair product and Drumpf...any mention of Drumpf automatically becomes political even if its said in jest. Can we leave the mofu out of the conversation.

Irony impaired.
Maybe so, but it's a damn fact that even a casual mention of THAT guy is bound to start a shitstorm. That's just the way of the world today.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 3, 2019 21:06

Rocketman is what you get if you add ET + Rockman

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1940
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home