Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

idea- Thank You England concert for charity
Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: June 1, 2019 19:04

Semi random thought...

How about a concert featuring all the Great British bands/artists...Stones, Who, McCartney, Clapton,...dare I say it -Zep.

Could be put on by either someone here in the States as a "Thank You" for all the great songs these British artists have provided over the decades/years, but more importantly as a thank you for reminding us Americans of the treasure trove of music we have here and took for granted- to put it politely. Mainly referring to the Blues but also Country and Jazz. You could expand upon it and have shows in England and the States a la the ARMS Concerts or more recently the seemingly successful Desert Trip. Also the idea would be to generate funds for a particular English charity. To give back and make a real positive difference in peoples live -all in the name of music. Everybody wins.

Re: idea- Thank You England concert for charity
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 1, 2019 19:11

England and Britain are different things.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 1, 2019 19:14

His Majesty
England and Britain are different things.

Was about to say the same. I find it irritating when they're used as interchangeable terms when they're not.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 1, 2019 22:57

And then we can close the chapter The 60's

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 1, 2019 23:35

The nation state is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northen Ireland. England is a country within the state alongside Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Britain is a collective of three countries - not nation states. England, Scotland and Wales.

Many North American’s say ‘Britain’ When they are, I’m fact, merely considering England.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: June 3, 2019 16:21

I stand corrected!

Was thinking a concert in Central Park and Hyde Park on the same weekend. Have 4 bands at each, the swap the next weekend. The 4in NY go to London and vice versa. The downside is that all the bands would not be together at the same place/same time. Endless possibilities including adding shows in Chicago, New Orleans & LA.

A couple of semi random thought. I always felt a Zep reunion could raise so much money for charity. Millions of dollars for a few days or weeks (?!) worth of band rehearsals and a show. I understand the band may not get along or just have their own reasons for now wanting to play again, but it seems to pale in comparison to the good that band alone could do. Also Desert Trip confirmed their is clearly a market for this type of event.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 4, 2019 09:34

There was a Zeppelin reunion (sort of), and it did raise a lot of money for charity, but it was for a very specific reason--Ahmet Ertegun's widow asked them to play in his honor, which was the only reason Plant agreed to do it. It's just not going to happen again, no matter what good reasons could be given for it.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: June 4, 2019 16:42

Aquamarine
There was a Zeppelin reunion (sort of), and it did raise a lot of money for charity, but it was for a very specific reason--Ahmet Ertegun's widow asked them to play in his honor, which was the only reason Plant agreed to do it. It's just not going to happen again, no matter what good reasons could be given for it.

Ditto Pink Floyd. With Geldof's gentle coaxing for Live8 but Gilmour has made it pretty clear that was a one-off.

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 4, 2019 18:23

Ronnie will do it

..He'd do the opening of a packet of crisps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2026
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home