Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Who is Mick's closest friend?
Posted by: GJV ()
Date: June 2, 2019 14:53

Keith was his best friend in the sixties en seventies, but nowadays I don't get the feeling they see each other that much outside the Stones, probably not at all.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 2, 2019 15:34

Perhaps he has no close friends. He has his family. I’d imagine that could be enough. I’m not sure if he’s particularly introverted, but such people - for instance, myself - are not overly reliant on friendships. Some of my happiest moments are when alone.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 2, 2019 15:58

He has a close family consisting of, maybe, 30-40 people (wives, ex-wives, lovers, children, grandchildren, brother and so on). He lives on all continents. He spends 1/3 of the year with The Stones.
How much time will he have left for friends? And what you will find at 75 is that the ranks are thinning out. Rapidly.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: June 2, 2019 20:22

BitchKeepsBitchin
MICK knows everybody but trusts very few as close friends. After Bowie died MICK commented that they were very close friends for a long time and he is going to truly miss him.

Well, he also said that despite the fact that both lived in NYC for long periods, he didn't see much of Bowie in the 10 years preceding his death.

I thought that quote was very revealing.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 2, 2019 20:25

I think if he didn't like Keith then he wouldn't work with him, and would've walked away a long time ago.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 2, 2019 20:36

tomcasagranda
I think if he didn't like Keith then he wouldn't work with him, and would've walked away a long time ago.

I think he tried that a long time ago, but it didn't quite work out as he'd hoped for.
I'm sure he likes Keith based on their long history (or at least tolerates him), but seems more business oriented than actual close friendship.
Aside from touring and trying to record new music, do they ever do anything together?

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: June 2, 2019 20:58

Hairball
I'm sure he likes Keith based on their long history (or at least tolerates him), but seems more business oriented than actual close friendship.
Aside from touring and trying to record new music, do they ever do anything together?

I suspect the last time they saw one another socially (i.e. not specifically because of an RS function) was in the Some Girls era.

Date: June 2, 2019 21:21

tommycharles
Hairball

I suspect the last time they saw one another socially (i.e. not specifically because of an RS function) was in the Some Girls era.

Mick was Keith's best man in his wedding in 1983..

Date: June 2, 2019 21:37

This Mick/Keith thing is a bit overblown. Do we really want them to spend all their time together? Like in Edith Grove...
The sad thing however is that their mojo doesn't work when it comes to making music anymore. They seem like separate islands.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-02 21:39 by Stoneage.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: June 2, 2019 22:16

If i was to go by body language i don't get the impression either Mick or Keith are comfortable in each others company, but at one point many decades ago these two men loved each other like close Brothers, but a few things changed throughout the 70's, Mick married Bianca, Keith became a junkie and then a heavy drinker while Mick social climbed and left the drink and the drugs behind him, especially in the 80's. So they chose different lives, different paths, i would imagine Micks crowd of hangers on were very different to Keith's.
Does anyone know someone who continues to drink, it's very hard to be their friend, reality within drinking becomes outside of people who are sober, it just doesn't mix, Mick might have thought, my god i'm talking to Keith and the lights are on but no one is home, it's hard to stay close to someone off their head all the time and i think this has got in the way of Mick and Keith's relationship over the years.

I got the feeling Mick and Keith were just starting to get on again last year on tour, they seemed more supportive to each other on stage with a sober Keith, i wonder if Mick felt let down by Keith and Ronnie while they were playing drunk etc, its things like this that get in the way over the years, Mick might resent Keith's cavalier attitude and lack of professionalism when it comes to playing, i think he gradually lost respect for Keith, meanwhile Keith gets all the love from the fans regardless of his under par performances, i often think these are the things that effect Mick and as a result distance himself from Keith, maybe even go as far as to say Mick dislikes Keith, there is a fine line between love and hate. I'm sure Mick is very proud of their song writing relationship but it springs to mind that when they became more distant to each other, the quality of their creative songwriting went downhill at the same time. I really think it's hard for Mick to be in the same room as Keith, but Mick KNOWS the big money comes from playing live with Keith, and for that reason only they still have the remnants of a working relationship.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-02 22:29 by keithsman.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: June 2, 2019 22:50

Spot on, keithsman.

I would say that even if they only spend time together on stage, rehearsing or in the studio, that is more time than some of us spend with friends. They are 'playing' with each other, so to speak, and that counts for something.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 2, 2019 22:53

keithsman
If i was to go by body language i don't get the impression either Mick or Keith are comfortable in each others company, but at one point many decades ago these two men loved each other like close Brothers, but a few things changed throughout the 70's, Mick married Bianca, Keith became a junkie and then a heavy drinker while Mick social climbed and left the drink and the drugs behind him, especially in the 80's. So they chose different lives, different paths, i would imagine Micks crowd of hangers on were very different to Keith's.
Does anyone know someone who continues to drink, it's very hard to be their friend, reality within drinking becomes outside of people who are sober, it just doesn't mix, Mick might have thought, my god i'm talking to Keith and the lights are on but no one is home, it's hard to stay close to someone off their head all the time and i think this has got in the way of Mick and Keith's relationship over the years.

I got the feeling Mick and Keith were just starting to get on again last year on tour, they seemed more supportive to each other on stage with a sober Keith, i wonder if Mick felt let down by Keith and Ronnie while they were playing drunk etc, its things like this that get in the way over the years, Mick might resent Keith's cavalier attitude and lack of professionalism when it comes to playing, i think he gradually lost respect for Keith, meanwhile Keith gets all the love from the fans regardless of his under par performances, i often think these are the things that effect Mick and as a result distance himself from Keith, maybe even go as far as to say Mick dislikes Keith, there is a fine line between love and hate. I'm sure Mick is very proud of their song writing relationship but it springs to mind that when they became more distant to each other, the quality of their creative songwriting went downhill at the same time. I really think it's hard for Mick to be in the same room as Keith, but Mick KNOWS the big money comes from playing live with Keith, and for that reason only they still have the remnants of a working relationship.

I think thats very true. Thanks.
Jeroen

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 2, 2019 22:59

keithsman

Ancient history, even if half of it were true. They are older now and, especially with Mick's recent health scare, well aware that they are lucky to still be around and able to play great music for fans. I imagine they'll be many smiles and fond glances between Mick and Keith during the tour, as with all of them. I doubt the grudges exist any more and even if they are no longer close, the love is still there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-02 23:24 by latebloomer.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 2, 2019 23:20

Is it so hard to understand reality and to accept that the Glimmer has gone between those men??

Come on..

Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-02 23:21 by runrudolph.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 3, 2019 00:43

People grow older and develop different lives. It happens to everyone. Most of what went down between Mick and Keith is water under the bridge at this point, but socially they grew apart long ago. That doesn't imply that there's any animosity remaining, it's just how life works.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 3, 2019 00:58

runrudolph
keithsman

I think thats very true. Thanks.
Jeroen

So well thought out and well expressed; I appreciate you posting it.

Date: June 3, 2019 01:45

I think they are different personalities. Which has evolved even more during the years. Sir Michael said it himself: Keith is basically shy. More of an introvert.
Sir Michael, although being very protective about his private life, is the opposite; outgoing, social, likes to meet new people in other areas of life.
Keith is more of a family man. Prefers home, or the studio late at night, before parties and social events.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: June 3, 2019 01:49

Who did Mick go with to England's World Cup games?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 3, 2019 01:56

I'm not sure about his best friend................ but Jeff Lynne comes to mind as a good friend

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-03 01:59 by NICOS.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: June 3, 2019 05:08

I'm sure if it came right down to it Mick would help Keith and Keith would help Mick. Keith has said some very stupid things about Mick over the years. mick has never really shot back in public which I give him credit for. I know the cameras were rolling in Ole A Trip Across Latin America but the two really seemed to have genuine affection for one another when they sat down and did Country Honk and were then talking about going to Brazil back in 68-69. I think there was also a period where they detested one another. Who is his best friend I don't know and don't really care.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: June 3, 2019 09:51

Himself?

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 3, 2019 10:05

Big Al
Perhaps he has no close friends. He has his family. I’d imagine that could be enough. I’m not sure if he’s particularly introverted, but such people - for instance, myself - are not overly reliant on friendships. Some of my happiest moments are when alone.

thumbs up

That's me too.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: June 3, 2019 10:20

DandelionPowderman
"It's Only Rock'n'Roll - The Rolling Stones Fan Club: Since 1980"

He saw his first Stones show in 1973.

plexi

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: June 3, 2019 10:40

None of us are in any position to answer the question posed in this thread,nor to know anything about the follow up musings.

plexi

Date: June 3, 2019 11:45

slew
I'm sure if it came right down to it Mick would help Keith and Keith would help Mick. Keith has said some very stupid things about Mick over the years. mick has never really shot back in public which I give him credit for. I know the cameras were rolling in Ole A Trip Across Latin America but the two really seemed to have genuine affection for one another when they sat down and did Country Honk and were then talking about going to Brazil back in 68-69. I think there was also a period where they detested one another. Who is his best friend I don't know and don't really care.

The thing is, has Keith said anything about Mick that isn't true or possibly provoked through frustration.
Just going through a few instances, Keith has said things like

Calling Mick Brenda, doesn't Mick come across that way sometimes ? it's not even an insult, it's tongue in cheek banter.

Peter Pan Complex ? with every passing year it becomes more apparent that Mick is this Peter Pan Character, not really an insult imho.

Saying he has a small penis, the kind of thing to be expected when writing about betrayal, Anita's comments after Mick allegedly slept with Keith's common law wife, i mean when you cross that line over a friend it's to be expected to come out in a biography about Keith's life, i think Keith was deeply hurt by Mick and Anita and maybe todgergate was revenge, it's childish but understandable.
Had Keith slept with Jerry and Jerry went back to Mick with oh he's not as good as you, it's the sort of thing Mick would comment on in a bio had the tables been turned.

Yes Keith shouldn't say these things about Mick over the years, but Keith is an open person, it's harder for Keith not to say whats on his mind, especially after a few Whiskeys lol.

I sometimes wonder if Anita's affair with his best friend and co writer sent Keith in a downward spiral with Heroin, i think it might have lent a hand. Mick is not the only victim in Mick and Keith's friendship.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: June 3, 2019 12:52

But who is Keith,s friends,exept for Ronnie?

Date: June 3, 2019 12:59

harlem shuffle
But who is Keith,s friends,exept for Ronnie?

I think most people who meet Keith come away with the feeling he is a gentleman, don't believe all his image hype, Keith is a moral man and i doubt he is short of friends.
One friendship however that he had with Johnny Depp broke up a good few years ago, neither man has ever spoke of the other since, pity because Keith really seemed to warm to Johnny.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 3, 2019 13:16

“The thing is, has Keith said anything about Mick that isn't true or possibly provoked through frustration.”

Yes, of course, I think the above statement is just plain silly, sorry.
Keithsman here is the most current interviews w/ Keith Richards
perhaps they may ‘update’ your point of view. Perhaps not.
Excellent interviews, I believe it is part 2 or 3
Keith gets a little choked up thanking and praising Mick Jagger for being the best frontman ever, and thanking him for bringing the fame to the RS:

Keith Richards - 'Talk is Cheap' in conversation with Steven Van Zandt - Part 1
[m.youtube.com]
Keith Richards - 'Talk is Cheap' in conversation with Steven Van Zandt - Part 2
[m.youtube.com]
Keith Richards - 'Talk is Cheap' in conversation with Steven Van Zandt - Part 3
[m.youtube.com]

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: June 3, 2019 13:17

maybe make a list and we can rank them most-close to least-close.

Date: June 3, 2019 14:01

35love
“The thing is, has Keith said anything about Mick that isn't true or possibly provoked through frustration.”

Yes, of course, I think the above statement is just plain silly, sorry.
Keithsman here is the most current interviews w/ Keith Richards
perhaps they may ‘update’ your point of view. Perhaps not.
Excellent interviews, I believe it is part 2 or 3
Keith gets a little choked up thanking and praising Mick Jagger for being the best frontman ever, and thanking him for bringing the fame to the RS:

Keith Richards - 'Talk is Cheap' in conversation with Steven Van Zandt - Part 1
[m.youtube.com]
Keith Richards - 'Talk is Cheap' in conversation with Steven Van Zandt - Part 2
[m.youtube.com]
Keith Richards - 'Talk is Cheap' in conversation with Steven Van Zandt - Part 3
[m.youtube.com]

Yeah thanks 35Love and i have already seen this conversation with Zandt when it was first aired, not much i haven't seen or heard from Keith to be honest, yes Keith is definitely showing more respect lately towards Mick but it changes nothing. Basically we got two Keith's , drinking Keith and sober Keith, and when a man has spent most of his life doing the former it ends up still being Keith. I think the truth comes out in drink, i think that's where Keith is coming from, he's obviously been very frustrated with Mick over the years concerning relationships (Mick & Anita thing ) Mick's solo career etc, but what we are getting now from Keith this late in the day is acceptance of what the Stones have been as a band, what an amazing front man Keith has had the pleasure of working and playing live with, how well he and Mick have done, what a great band they were and still are, how he and Mick despite everything still tread the boards together.

And yes since Micks heart disease we get a much more emotional side from Keith when talking about Mick, ( i believe this interview was just after Keith heard the news about Micks heart valves but before it was known publicly,) he still loves Mick imho.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-03 14:48 by keithsman.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1543
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home