Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: PIT ADVICE
Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: June 4, 2019 18:16

Spud
Maybe we should point out that you don't always have to endure these nasty experiences in the pit and its usually not too difficult to steer clear...

Exactly.
Pay what you want and have a BLAST!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 4, 2019 18:18

Fewer people in the pit the better.
Jeroen

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 4, 2019 18:43

Spud
Maybe we should point out that you don't always have to endure nasty experiences in the pit and its usually not too difficult to steer clear...

well, I never had nasty experiences in the pit except for some young girls chattering all the time in Dublin
(I've been in the pit 8 times, 7x with LD and once for 225 Euros in Arnhem)

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: June 5, 2019 12:49

Don't drink anything about an hour (could be different for anyone) before the Stones are on drinking smiley (unless you don't mind missing at least a couple of songs ...). I've seen desperate people who couldn't hold on anymore while the Stones were on. Some decided to stay one with the obvious consequences grinning smiley

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 6, 2019 01:13

georgie48
Don't drink anything about an hour (could be different for anyone) before the Stones are on drinking smiley (unless you don't mind missing at least a couple of songs ...). I've seen desperate people who couldn't hold on anymore while the Stones were on. Some decided to stay one with the obvious consequences grinning smiley

At Hyde Park in 2013, wading through the litter after the show, right down at the front of GA I saw lots of full plastic bottles on the ground with the lids on and perhaps not their original contents winking smiley I suppose That’s one way to deal with the problem...

But seriously you make a good point. I routinely queue up early for any gig and my strategy is go straight to the toilet upon entry then wait it out and hold my spot to showtime. I’m 52 and it usually works well. Minimising drink in the last hours before is advisable too, unless it’s hot.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: June 6, 2019 02:01

Are Polo Mallets allowed in the pit?

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 6, 2019 02:14

I'm getting tempted...so Pit 1 is Ronnie's side and Pit 2 is Keith's, yes?

Posted by: somegirl26 ()
Date: June 6, 2019 03:26

I have Ronnie's side, why do you say that side is best? Thanks.

runrudolph
Stand in the midst, ronnies side is best. Gold circle is good too.
Jeroen

Posted by: somegirl26 ()
Date: June 6, 2019 03:42

I agree I think the stadium pit will be higher. With any luck the catwalk slopes down, the end of the catwalk will be lower, and they do a couple songs at the end of the catwalk like they usually do. The tongue catwalk in the arena shows was great because Mick skipped around it so many times, Keith came out on it a few times, Ronnie less than that. The tongue catwalk was very low, and the seats behind the catwalk were very close.

Anyone in the first row seats directly behind the tongue catwalk could stay right up at the rail the entire time, as long as you showed security your ticket if asked you were good. There was very little gap between the rail and the tongue catwalk; it was a thing of beauty. Maybe a few feet if that. Virtually no camera and lighting equipment were in that small gap between the tongue catwalk and the rail; none of the stuff that you find in the large gap between the main stage and the front row rail.

I got into a spat with a security guard in Philly in 2013, that caused me to miss most of YCAGWYW w/Mick Taylor. The first row directly behind the center of the catwalk was Row 5 (or maybe 6 or 7; let's use 5 for the sake of the story), because Rows 1-4 wrapped around each side of the tongue in the outside floor sections. The center floor section rows were in line and numbered the same as the outside floor section rows, behind the catwalk, so rows 1-4 were missing because the center of the tongue jutted out into the center of the floor. So while Row 5 was actually the first row of the center floor, Row 1 was the first row in the outside floor sections (left and right floors).

Finally got the security guard to understand that I had Row 5, and that Row 5 was the first row of the center floor, and I had the same right to stand at the rail as the outside floors standing in Row 1. I very nearly got myself kicked out of the stadium completely. My friend Jill was also at the rail and in the seat next to me, but the security guard singled me out, of all the people in the center front row behind the catwalk.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 6, 2019 07:18

latebloomer
I'm getting tempted...so Pit 1 is Ronnie's side and Pit 2 is Keith's, yes?

Do it, do it, do it, do it, do it
Do it, do it, do it, do it, do it
Do it, do it, do it, do it

(‘Slave’)

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 6, 2019 14:02

JDSAM1994
I'm just wondering if anyone has any PIT advice, such as how early to get there to claim a decent area, best areas to stand, is it easy to sneak someone in there? lol. If you have any advice or something to add. let me know.

Thanks!

Pit advice ? Just this ... be in it !! As opposed to anywhere else in a stadium, which is the only variety of venue the band play in these days !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: harald2002 ()
Date: June 6, 2019 14:27

PIT View from 1. Row / Corner in Abu Dhabi / 21. Feb 2014

We did not see charlie. Also not the whole right side of the stage.
Also not the FOS-Area / Fans on the other side of the catwalk.

I hope the stage will get lower in US-Shows!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 6, 2019 14:41

Just get in there ….
Almost as good as spendin' a night with a monkey man …..

ROCKMAN

Date: June 6, 2019 15:10

paulywaul
JDSAM1994
I'm just wondering if anyone has any PIT advice, such as how early to get there to claim a decent area, best areas to stand, is it easy to sneak someone in there? lol. If you have any advice or something to add. let me know.

Thanks!

Pit advice ? Just this ... be in it !! As opposed to anywhere else in a stadium, which is the only variety of venue the band play in these days !!

In fairness, I found the Gold Circle to be pretty good too (UK/European Setup) and in many cases the front couple of rows of GA was excellent, as long as GC was smallish.

I've been in them all.

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: June 7, 2019 04:28

harald2002

Seriously?! That sucks!

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: June 7, 2019 07:00

The above photo was years ago now. It was nothing like this last year or in Europe the year before.

Date: June 7, 2019 10:36

Straycat13
harald2002

Seriously?! That sucks!

If you chose a bad spot to stand in in pit that's the result. But you'll have plenty of time to find a better spot.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: June 7, 2019 13:53

somegirl26
I agree I think the stadium pit will be higher. With any luck the catwalk slopes down, the end of the catwalk will be lower, and they do a couple songs at the end of the catwalk like they usually do.

They don't "do songs" at the end of the catwalk anymore. Mick is down there quite frequently, but Keith and Ronnie only come out during Miss You. I bet a lot of that has to do with stage monitoring. The guitarist can hear themselves better on the main stage. When Mick comes out and you're by the catwalk you can actually hear the delay of the drum beat on those little monitors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-07 13:54 by Topi.

Posted by: harald2002 ()
Date: June 7, 2019 14:33

PIT view from Paris II 2017.
a bit better than in Abu-Dhabi

FYI.

Stonesharry

CHICAGO I+II
SANTA BARBARA
GLENDALE
MIAMI

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: June 7, 2019 14:50

That's the spot to be in, Harald. Back of the pit near the end of the catwalk. Much better view and more balanced sound.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 7, 2019 16:04

Topi
That's the spot to be in, Harald. Back of the pit near the end of the catwalk. Much better view and more balanced sound.

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 7, 2019 18:11

If you can afford - bring your own bodyguard. Let him do the obligatory infighting for you. If someone challenges you - just point to him.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 7, 2019 18:36

Throughout the venue -- as you enter the venue itself; as well as the pit -- insist that you require special accommodation for A WHEELED WALKER (like a really old person uses),... on account of a disability.

Once in the pit, use it to set up a safe fenced-in perimeter to enjoy the show.

Posted by: rlstone ()
Date: June 22, 2019 14:31

I am quite curious on how the experience was with the 'New' bigger pits. Anyone who was in last night and can share the experience? Based on the pics I have seen it seemed busy.

Thanks!

Date: June 22, 2019 15:10

rlstone
I am quite curious on how the experience was with the 'New' bigger pits. Anyone who was in last night and can share the experience? Based on the pics I have seen it seemed busy.

Thanks!

Based on pic taken before the show I don't think the pits are bigger than in 2017/18. The difference is just that the cat walk seems to be much longer

Posted by: Xam ()
Date: June 22, 2019 15:57

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-22 16:41 by Xam.

Date: June 22, 2019 16:09

The pit on Ronnie's side looked packed as the show wore on. I was in 342 saw it all from above. Non ticket holders getting in there it seems. In my section there were people in the aisles and looking for empty seats.

Posted by: MichaelLassen ()
Date: June 22, 2019 16:20

Seems to me like the attractive thing about the pit of being able to show up late and still have a good spot is now a thing of the past? Unsure of pulling the trigger for New York or Los Angeles now :-(

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: June 22, 2019 16:24

MichaelLassen
Seems to me like the attractive thing about the pit of being able to show up late and still have a good spot is now a thing of the past? Unsure of pulling the trigger for New York or Los Angeles now :-(

Yes that is one huge benefit of having a pit ticket but if like you say it has ceased to exist then the pit ticket becomes a lot less desirable.

Nate

Posted by: 2120Joe ()
Date: June 22, 2019 16:32

Ronnie’s side was very crowded. Tough to leave and return. I’ve been happy in the past to be at the back of the pit with a little personal space, not possible 6/21. Music was loud, guitars upfront, band on fire. I can’t wait to be back there on Tuesday, crowded or not.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1808
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home