Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: the stones are the world's GREATEST RnR band & i'm offended
Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 29, 2019 11:12

Only in America. Well Little Ian Brennan, I might tell you I sang the whole song in front of a camera in Copenhagens Central Station on the 2nd of september 2006 on my way to Horsens. The film crew wanted me to perform Satisfaction but I wanted to sing Brown Sugar instead, as it's a better tune. A capella and all, going down the escalators I did it in one take. I did a damn good job and I got to see it in my hotel room in Horsens the same night after Kent Flash had performed on stage in the Town Square, I remember a great Heart Of Stone. Happy Days!

These hipsters who doesn't get one jota of history or Culture needs to banned from Writing in big papers like The Chicago one. Bet he got his Little beard and his Little baseball cap and daesh trousers (cut above the ankles) on when he write his rubbish. What a C**t! Well it got me fired up for the day anyway, Cheers!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-29 11:13 by MadMax.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: May 29, 2019 11:22

nah, he self-identifies around the problem.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: May 29, 2019 12:14

What a waste of paper (not to mention people's precious time ...).
The world is full of moral preachers, many of them at some point turn(ed) out to be the worst kind of people themselves ...
"You shouldn't do this, you shouldn't say that ...", but meanwhile ... what are they doing behind closed doors?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 29, 2019 12:50

DandelionPowderman
Song about a character, reflecting a time capsule in society. It still is.

Exactly.

I don't quite get the point of trying to interpret the song "irony-free". Should the song to be interpreted literally, as a particular political statement or declaration or what? Altogether, trying to isolate some certain phrases out of its context, which, after all, is a hot rock and roll tune, its biggest point being making one's ass move, full of double-meaning, edge, humor, irony, even self-irony ("cold English blood running hot"). It is sad that some folks are turning anything such dull literal and serious but stupid interpretation of certain words and phrases, all the use of higher imagination and intellect in seeing the bigger picture is forgotten. Like thinking is forgotten or denied. If anyone understand anything of The Rolling Stones and "Brown Sugar" one knows that there is not anything kind of racism involved. Quite the contrary, the lesson of "Brown Sugar" is anti-racist one actually. Yeah, The Stones are playing with fire indeed (asking a bit from their listeners), but hell, that's what they, and the whole rock and roll culture, was once famous for.

Ian Brennan seems to be a good man, a sort of Alan Lomax of modern times, doing great things, but probably that of taking 'world music' and "promoting voices from underheard regions and persecuted populations" as such a heart agenda, clouds his judgment. Probably such a mainstream giant making tremendous amount of cash in music business as the Stones do, is a natural (and easy) target of criticism. That's what I take the tune of his article to be. That of moralizing them and their success. They are winning by wrong means (the claim of the Stones stealing black man's music and cashing with it, is not far I guess). The normative sentence "Instead of being held to a higher standard as their stature should demand, those with celebrity and power are too often given a pass" sounds simply naive.

No, I wouldn't speak the lyrics to “Brown Sugar” in its entirety aloud and irony-free before a diverse group of strangers. But I wouldn't speak "Satisfaction" or "Jumping Jack Flash" or, for god's sake, "Angie" or "Great Balls of Fire" or "Waterloo" either... People would think I am crazy... are any of those lyrics intended to be delivered that way or in that kind of context? C'mon... Those are bloody songs - music!

Funnily, from all Stones tunes, Bob Dylan decided to cover "Brown Sugar"...

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-29 13:08 by Doxa.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 29, 2019 15:55

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Exactly.

I don't quite get the point of trying to interpret the song "irony-free". Should the song to be interpreted literally, as a particular political statement or declaration or what? Altogether, trying to isolate some certain phrases out of its context, which, after all, is a hot rock and roll tune, its biggest point being making one's ass move, full of double-meaning, edge, humor, irony, even self-irony ("cold English blood running hot"). It is sad that some folks are turning anything such dull literal and serious but stupid interpretation of certain words and phrases, all the use of higher imagination and intellect in seeing the bigger picture is forgotten. Like thinking is forgotten or denied. If anyone understand anything of The Rolling Stones and "Brown Sugar" one knows that there is not anything kind of racism involved. Quite the contrary, the lesson of "Brown Sugar" is anti-racist one actually. Yeah, The Stones are playing with fire indeed (asking a bit from their listeners), but hell, that's what they, and the whole rock and roll culture, was once famous for.

Ian Brennan seems to be a good man, a sort of Alan Lomax of modern times, doing great things, but probably that of taking 'world music' and "promoting voices from underheard regions and persecuted populations" as such a heart agenda, clouds his judgment. Probably such a mainstream giant making tremendous amount of cash in music business as the Stones do, is a natural (and easy) target of criticism. That's what I take the tune of his article to be. That of moralizing them and their success. They are winning by wrong means (the claim of the Stones stealing black man's music and cashing with it, is not far I guess). The normative sentence "Instead of being held to a higher standard as their stature should demand, those with celebrity and power are too often given a pass" sounds simply naive.

No, I wouldn't speak the lyrics to “Brown Sugar” in its entirety aloud and irony-free before a diverse group of strangers. But I wouldn't speak "Satisfaction" or "Jumping Jack Flash" or, for god's sake, "Angie" or "Great Balls of Fire" or "Waterloo" either... People would think I am crazy... are any of those lyrics intended to be delivered that way or in that kind of context? C'mon... Those are bloody songs - music!

- Doxa
Great post, and kudos for not just calling the author a PC idiot. There's more to discuss than just dismissing his opinion out of hand.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 30, 2019 14:30

Funny how times change...

2019 : the Stones are the epigones of musical racism.
1964 : the Stones are credited with re-introducing white America to its blues artists...

Go figure! cool smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 30, 2019 15:31

hopkins
that i shot the sheriff guy is in BIG trouble now...eye popping smiley

Exactly. He isnt of course. Nor should he.

Date: May 30, 2019 15:32

Redhotcarpet
hopkins
that i shot the sheriff guy is in BIG trouble now...eye popping smiley

Exactly. He isnt of course. Nor should he.
Yeah, but he didn't shoot the deputy...that's gotta count for something, right?

Date: May 30, 2019 15:40

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Exactly.

- Doxa

He is not a good man. He is a policing speech controlling SJW type. There is nothing good about the neo moralists of 2019. There is nothing one can do or say to appease these smug cretines. Sorry about the rant.

Date: May 30, 2019 15:46

It took longer than I expected for someone to invoke the "SJW!!!1!11" bogeyman. Everyone take a drink!

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: May 30, 2019 15:47

i can tell you the lyrics are right

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 30, 2019 15:58

" Mary had a little lamb, it's fleece was white as ...."

Hold on just a minute ! Are you insinuating that it was a nice lamb because it was white ?

...and what about animal welfare when she takes it "everywhere" ....and why did Mary have to pointlessly have a lamb following her around ...

...is that because her brother Marty , being a boy, obviously had more important things to do, and no time for such girly nonsense !

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 30, 2019 16:17

I had to look up Ian Brennan and the meaning of SJW.

It’s interesting how many here are offended by someone being offended. smoking smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 30, 2019 16:26

Some folks try really hard to be offended ...and with plenty of practice they become very good at it.

Date: May 30, 2019 18:57

MadMax
Only in America. Well Little Ian Brennan, I might tell you I sang the whole song in front of a camera in Copenhagens Central Station on the 2nd of september 2006 on my way to Horsens. The film crew wanted me to perform Satisfaction but I wanted to sing Brown Sugar instead, as it's a better tune. A capella and all, going down the escalators I did it in one take. I did a damn good job and I got to see it in my hotel room in Horsens the same night after Kent Flash had performed on stage in the Town Square, I remember a great Heart Of Stone. Happy Days!

These hipsters who doesn't get one jota of history or Culture needs to banned from Writing in big papers like The Chicago one. Bet he got his Little beard and his Little baseball cap and daesh trousers (cut above the ankles) on when he write his rubbish. What a C**t! Well it got me fired up for the day anyway, Cheers!

Only in America, the EU, Sweden, England, Canada, Australia.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 30, 2019 19:00

The Prince estate is releasing a new album called 'Originals,'

and I can’t wait to hear Prince sing ‘Sex Shooter’

Perhaps I’m not morally fit to judge immoral lyricsgrinning smileysmoking smiley>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: May 31, 2019 03:42

DandelionPowderman

That’s what it was in 71 also I assume.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: May 31, 2019 04:22

In about 1974 my friend worked the summer in a travelling carnival going up and down the eastern United States. He was mature for his age at 15 years old, and working a typical carnival concession. He was having xes like crazy with the local girls at every stop. The travelling carnivals were sleazy and also included stripper shows in their own separate tents. He had xes with some of the strippers.

"I bet your mamma was a tent show queen, and all her boyfriends were sweet sixteen."

That lyric is about a slice of real life.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 31, 2019 04:27

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-31 04:27 by hopkins.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 31, 2019 14:01

Big Al
All I draw from Brown Sugar is that Mick must’ve really being enjoying bonking Marsha Hunt at the time. Actually, has Mick ever been romantically linked with any other black women?

Well, there are two AfroAmerican beauties taking the credit for being the inspiration for "Brown Sugar", Marsha Hunt and Claudia Lennear. Claudia, an Ikette, was very much onboard at the time Mick finished the lyrics for the song. She claims Mick admitting that to her. Watching how Mick still, dedades later, describes her in "Twenty Steps from Stardom" seems to confirm that... winking smiley

- Doxa

P.S. Not just Mick, but also Bowie made a song inspired by her...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-31 14:06 by Doxa.

Ian Brennan: don’t play Brown Sugar. It’s racist and sexist.
Date: May 30, 2019 13:46

I told you didn’t I? SJWs are the Maoists of today.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/opinion/commentary/ct-perspec-rolling-stones-brown-sugar-racist-lyrics-20190524-story.html

ARTICLE

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-30 13:47 by Redhotcarpet.

Re: Ian Brennan: don’t play Brown Sugar. It’s racist and sexist.
Date: May 30, 2019 13:54

More here: [iorr.org]

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: May 30, 2019 15:19

The entirety of the ROLLING STONES image and history is based on cultural appropriation and misogyny.

Ian Brennan is a social justice posturing twit. He can listen to Beyoncé and Katy Perry and leave us knuckle dragging Neanderthals to wallow in our un-woke ignorance whilst dancing and swilling beer and shouting,'YEAH! YEAH! YEAH! WHOOOO!!!" for literally the ten thousandth time.

It's amazing the lengths virtue flaunting poseurs will go to get noticed on the internet.

Date: May 30, 2019 15:30

rbk
The entirety of the ROLLING STONES image and history is based on cultural appropriation and misogyny.

Ian Brennan is a social justice posturing twit. He can listen to Beyoncé and Katy Perry and leave us knuckle dragging Neanderthals to wallow in our un-woke ignorance whilst dancing and swilling beer and shouting,'YEAH! YEAH! YEAH! WHOOOO!!!" for literally the ten thousandth time.

It's amazing the lengths virtue flaunting poseurs will go to get noticed on the internet.

Next article will be a smug piece about offended Stonesfans. Mick was an actor. He portrayed killers, rapists, son of a slave owner, Victorian heartthrob, a prostitute, punk rocker etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-30 15:31 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 30, 2019 15:30

they should have censored Bobby's sax solo immediately..

its the raunchiest solo ever ....

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 30, 2019 16:43

I mean, in fairness, they are some crazy lyrics. If I heard widespread offense by African-Americans, I'd give it pause, but I never have. Maybe it's just because Jagger is hard to understand. Has anyone ever asked Darryl or Bernard or Lisa about it?

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: May 30, 2019 16:54

duke richardson
they should have censored Bobby's sax solo immediately..

its the raunchiest solo ever ....

Yes it was...bless him.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 30, 2019 17:00

Oh boo hoo hoo hoo hoo.
Bullocks
Get Out Of The Past And Into Today.
Was something written in the last 6
months that this person finds grotesque
Focus on that and
Get Off My Cloud !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-30 17:15 by 35love.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 30, 2019 17:00

In my opinion it's the same as TV shows, if it doesn't impress you then don't watch it. People expect something to be changed because it's not to their liking. What about the people that like it the way it is. I don't mind people liking something I don't, and they don't have to share my appreciation either, I'll get on just fine. Maybe it's a question of tolerance. My two cents.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: May 30, 2019 17:38

Who the f... is this guy? Guess he's just amish or something religious BS...or are all the Americans turning in to a "Hanmaid's Tale" society?grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1821
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home