Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Ian Brennan: don’t play Brown Sugar. It’s racist and sexist.
Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 31, 2019 11:01

NICOS
Stoneage
This is nothing new. It refers to identity politics and cultural relativism. "Tintin in the Congo" was brought to justice here in Sweden in 2011. But was turned down by the Chancellor of Justice.
It was called "Tintin-gate". They also turned on "Pippi Longstocking" and an ice-cream called Nogger. They didn't win in any case. But this still goes on of course. It's a sign of the times.

Hope they win it at the end, In Holland a lot of things from my childhood are changed because of alleged discrimination

En terecht!

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: May 31, 2019 11:11

And don't get him started on Some Girls!eye popping smiley

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 31, 2019 11:29

Big Al
Why isn’t this gentleman signalling out Some Girls? The infamous line is unquestionably offensive. I guess he doesn’t know the track or considers it not well-known enough.

I hope you are not referring to the "Black girls just wanna get @#$%& all night" line. I a am the first who would love to be @#$%& all night!!! Unfortunately "I just don't have that much jam"!!!

C

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: May 31, 2019 11:53

There are significant numbers of people out there, young and old, primed to take offence. These people have always existed but they tended to be prim, elderly, conservative types who were offended by sex on TV. This thin-skinned disease has now infected the left, who have abandoned their traditional commitment to liberal values of free speech. <<Rant ends>> smiling smiley

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 31, 2019 13:02

Masterful hand percussion on that one often over-looked.
Mick Jagger does a great job with this.
This production is so good. It's so classic from the first half second.
That dry dead chord about to explode into all kinds of tough beating stomp.
what a great record. it's stupendous.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 31, 2019 13:04

well just play this one Ian.

[www.youtube.com]
Little Richard - Brown Sugar

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-31 13:05 by hopkins.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 31, 2019 13:08

liddas
Big Al
Why isn’t this gentleman signalling out Some Girls? The infamous line is unquestionably offensive. I guess he doesn’t know the track or considers it not well-known enough.

I hope you are not referring to the "Black girls just wanna get @#$%& all night" line. I a am the first who would love to be @#$%& all night!!! Unfortunately "I just don't have that much jam"!!!

C

I am, indeed.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 31, 2019 14:25

Father Ted
There are significant numbers of people out there, young and old, primed to take offence. These people have always existed but they tended to be prim, elderly, conservative types who were offended by sex on TV. This thin-skinned disease has now infected the left, who have abandoned their traditional commitment to liberal values of free speech

That's right, Father Ted. They have also have an interpretative prerogative. Which means that if you question them you will be attributed with a condescending stigma. Mostly something that ends with an -ist.
And even worse - very often the state or big corporations backs them up. So, you can't win. Here we call this "åsiktskorridoren" ( corridor of "accepted" values). If you step outside it you'd better prepare yourself...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-31 14:29 by Stoneage.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 31, 2019 14:27

Father Ted
There are significant numbers of people out there, young and old, primed to take offence. These people have always existed but they tended to be prim, elderly, conservative types who were offended by sex on TV. This thin-skinned disease has now infected the left, who have abandoned their traditional commitment to liberal values of free speech. <> smiling smiley

Yep , as I posted in the other thread... "Some folks try really hard to be offended ...and with plenty of practice they become very good at it."

Surprised BV hasn't integrated these two threads...

....I think he might be busy winking smiley

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: May 31, 2019 14:30

liddas
I hope you are not referring to the "Black girls just wanna get @#$%& all night" line.

Woke social justice warriors like Ian Brennan would pontificate about that for hours on end, but won't say a word about black American's 82% out of wedlock birthrate.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 31, 2019 14:37

I have been contacted by several serious Stones fans over the years. They are typically deeply concerned about lyrics like on "Sympathy For The Devil". They want The Stones to stop playing that song live. Not much I can do about that.

I don't pay much attention to the lyrics, to be honest. My mothers tongue language is Norwegian. I don't go out into the world and act like Mick is saying on every song. It would have kept me busy. Painting all doors black. Getting wild horses and all of that.

It's Only Rock'n'Roll, simple as that. It is not the book of life, as you should live it.

Bjornulf

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 31, 2019 14:38

This forum has rapidly detoriated into an alt-right forum. Good grief, what a disgusting posts. That last one is just outright racist (and so is that line in Some Girls by the way).

Well good riddance, I guess. Bye.

Date: May 31, 2019 15:47

StonedInTokyo
liddas
I hope you are not referring to the "Black girls just wanna get @#$%& all night" line.

Woke social justice warriors like Ian Brennan would pontificate about that for hours on end, but won't say a word about black American's 82% out of wedlock birthrate.
‘Out of wedlock’ birtrate? 2019 You no-longer should be judged in such a way. How backward that logic is. Not being married is an issue? Please!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 31, 2019 16:09

The Rolling Stones offend nearly everyone in the end.

They can't help it. grinning smiley

hot smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 31, 2019 16:49

His Majesty
The Rolling Stones offend nearly everyone in the end.

They can't help it. grinning smiley

hot smiley

thumbs up ....and long may they continue to do so.

Posted by: Shesarainbow ()
Date: May 31, 2019 18:14

I get so tired of people choosing to be offended and then using social media to voice their self righteousness. I suppose it’s a way of seeking validation and their way of attracting attention. You would think they would have better and more productive things to do with their lives. Rock on boys!

Date: May 31, 2019 18:27

Big Al
StonedInTokyo
liddas

‘Out of wedlock’ birtrate? 2019 You no-longer should be judged in such a way. How backward that logic is. Not being married is an issue? Please!

Mr Tokyo has a point here though, Big Al. It matters for society. It means a lot of single mothers and children growing up without their fathers.
And in the end big spending on welfare for the society. Nothing else.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: May 31, 2019 18:34

I'm Jewish and was taken aback by the swastika seen on Brian and Keith. I try not to think about it. I love the Stones and look forward to seeing them each and every time.

Date: May 31, 2019 18:48

The thing is, and it never fails, the people who come up with these whines, are never the supposed 'offended parties' or 'victims'.
Ian Brennan, that sounds like a very white name.
Among my friends who are black; they love "Brown Sugar"; think it's hilarious, and are miles beyond tight-ass clams like Ian Brennan.

Date: May 31, 2019 18:50

Stoneage
Big Al
StonedInTokyo
liddas

Mr Tokyo has a point here though, Big Al. It matters for society. It means a lot of single mothers and children growing up without their fathers.

But mother’s and fathers can raise children together without being married.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: May 31, 2019 19:08

The Stones have insulted many women in their songs. I do not believe they are racist. His first child Karis was black. He was dating Marsha Hunt at the time. Well at least that's what I have read. Not that proves anything. But the Stones have always been heavily influenced by Black music and pay tribute to the artists and the music. All of them. I don't think Mick says "like a black girl should" any longer. He says "young girl". People do grow up and probably at the time did not think he was being racist or insulting.

I wonder if a black artist or group wrote a song about white women being raped and beaten would have been accepted or banned in 1970? Brown Sugar has a beat that grabs you from the door and makes you want to dance so I think most people did not really listen or take offense.

Date: May 31, 2019 19:22

Big Al
Stoneage
Big Al
StonedInTokyo
liddas

But mother’s and fathers can raise children together without being married.

Of course, Al. (But I think there is an over-representation concerning single mother households in this group anyhow. I saw a news segment about this not so long ago). Anyway, let's go on with the thread...

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: May 31, 2019 20:43

I once saw an African-American couple walk out of a Stones concert because of cartoon "Mammy" imagery spliced into the "Honky Tonk Women" background video montage. I didn't blame them for leaving. My first thought was "I hope they don't know what 'Brown Sugar' is about."

"Brown Sugar" is racist and sexist. That fact can't be avoided. It's about a slavemaster getting turned on by whipping his slaves, as if slavery were a sex party. It came from a time when outrageous rock was a thing and bands were trying to outdo each other by intentionally skating on the edge. Lots of artists trafficked in edgy material, and I don't blame them or the Stones either. Art sometimes goes to difficult places.

"Brown Sugar" is a great song that rocks hard, but maybe it shouldn't be played. To be perfectly honest, one less warhorse in the set means maybe one more rarity or new song getting in, so I personally would raise no objection to dropping it from the standard setlist.

As a white guy I feel it's not up to me to decide how women and/or people of color should or should not feel about the song.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 31, 2019 21:13

How many Stones songs can we ad to the NOT DONE list .....

I'm almost ashamed using the Let It Bleed logo.....

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 31, 2019 21:45

jahisnotdead
I once saw an African-American couple walk out of a Stones concert because of cartoon "Mammy" imagery spliced into the "Honky Tonk Women" background video montage. I didn't blame them for leaving. My first thought was "I hope they don't know what 'Brown Sugar' is about."

"Brown Sugar" is racist and sexist. That fact can't be avoided. It's about a slavemaster getting turned on by whipping his slaves, as if slavery were a sex party. It came from a time when outrageous rock was a thing and bands were trying to outdo each other by intentionally skating on the edge. Lots of artists trafficked in edgy material, and I don't blame them or the Stones either. Art sometimes goes to difficult places.

"Brown Sugar" is a great song that rocks hard, but maybe it shouldn't be played. To be perfectly honest, one less warhorse in the set means maybe one more rarity or new song getting in, so I personally would raise no objection to dropping it from the standard setlist.

As a white guy I feel it's not up to me to decide how women and/or people of color should or should not feel about the song.

Hopefully you belong to a minority. They should do the opposite and play it 50 f-ing times just because of your post. The list of things you are not allowed to say grows everytime you bend your back to the fascists.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-31 22:53 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 31, 2019 21:54

Ian Brennan, that sounds like a very white name.

Yeah Palace …. cant recall
ever hearing of a black dude called Ian ………..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 1, 2019 00:03

matxil
This forum has rapidly detoriated into an alt-right forum. Good grief, what a disgusting posts. That last one is just outright racist (and so is that line in Some Girls by the way).

Well good riddance, I guess. Bye.

If there are specific posts that you feel are offending then feel free to report to me by sending an e-mail to: iorr@arena.no

Bjornulf

Re: The Stones are the world's GREATEST RnR band & I'm offended
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 1, 2019 00:57

Missing - Sense of Humor; abducted by the PC police.

Come on, yall, all of us could be offended daily by something. Pick your battles. I don't think Rolling Stones lyrics are that big of a deal compared to real problems our world is facing.

In fact, they are a break from reality.

Date: June 1, 2019 01:01

Agree, Elmo. Well put.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: June 1, 2019 01:41

In 1969, Mick played a bit and sang a bit of Brown Sugar backstage with Ike and Tina.
Can't find the video, otherwise I'd post it.

It's a great song, and yes, I hate all that PC crap.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1843
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home