Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Ian Brennan: don’t play Brown Sugar. It’s racist and sexist.
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 30, 2019 17:47

Just ignore this geek.
Jeroen

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 30, 2019 17:54

People have the right to be offended but it is ridiculous. I hope that most people are not upset over those lyrics.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: northernale1 ()
Date: May 30, 2019 17:56

runrudolph
Just ignore this geek.
Jeroen

thats the problem,, to many ignoring all these morons,,

the vocal minority has taken over in leaps and bounds,

the more we allow it, the more we lose are freedoms

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 30, 2019 17:58

It is THE quintessential ending to every single Rolling Stones show!!!!! I look forward to it, and honestly, I feel let down if they end with something else without all that Yeah, Yeah, Yeah. True statement.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 30, 2019 18:25

Send It To me
I mean, in fairness, they are some crazy lyrics. If I heard widespread offense by African-Americans, I'd give it pause, but I never have. Maybe it's just because Jagger is hard to understand. Has anyone ever asked Darryl or Bernard or Lisa about it?
Best post of the day ! So true about Mick's dialect or vernacular and that leaves too much up for interpretation and I have to think some of it is by design for that specific reason in order to straddle the line of decency . The Stones have been down this road before , just refer to the Ed Sullivan appearance of Lets Spend SOME (the night )Time Together .

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: May 30, 2019 18:42

northernale1
runrudolph
Just ignore this geek.
Jeroen

thats the problem,, to many ignoring all these morons,,

the vocal minority has taken over in leaps and bounds,

the more we allow it, the more we lose are freedoms

We may not be as silent as we appear to be. No comments section on that article, and political talk is censored or deleted by many of the nanny sites. Otherwise, there are legions of us who freely voice our opinions at every opportunity and are ready for any eventuality.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 30, 2019 18:43

If you don't like it, don't listen to it. Simples!

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 30, 2019 18:57

It is interesting that in that lengthy Rolling Stone interview that Jagger did with Jann Wenner during the Voodoo Lounge tour he stated something like, "I couldn't write that raw today" in reference to Brown Sugar.

I have posted this before on this forum and I will re-state this. One of my favorite Rolling Stones songs is Midnight Rambler. Always loved it (not necessarily because of the lyrical content, but more for the musicality of the tune), but my wife (who has spent her entire career working on behalf of women and victim's rights) hates that song to pieces (along with Under My Thumb) and over the years has asked me why I listen to it?

When my wife saw the Stones in Buffalo in 2015, she sat next to her friend who was a Stones newbie and when my wife explained to her what was going on in during Midnight Rambler, she was also offended.

I make no apologies about the Stones. Part of who they were was presenting both sides of the coin (darkness and light). That was their appeal to me. They could write beautiful ballads (Angie, She's a Rainbow, Ruby Tuesday) and address the dark side of humanity (Midnight Rambler, Sympathy for the Devil).

Posted by: PalaisRoyale ()
Date: May 30, 2019 19:30

Next thing you know we will be burning records...

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 30, 2019 19:34

Silver Dagger
If you don't like it, don't listen to it. Simples!

‘Simples’? Someone’s quoting a soon-to-be former Prime Minister! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-30 19:34 by Big Al.

Date: May 30, 2019 19:37

Why isn’t this gentleman signalling out Some Girls? The infamous line is unquestionably offensive. I guess he doesn’t know the track or considers it not well-known enough.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: May 30, 2019 19:59

Under My Thumb

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 30, 2019 20:07

This is nothing new. It refers to identity politics and cultural relativism. "Tintin in the Congo" was brought to justice here in Sweden in 2011. But was turned down by the Chancellor of Justice.
It was called "Tintin-gate". They also turned on "Pippi Longstocking" and an ice-cream called Nogger. They didn't win in any case. But this still goes on of course. It's a sign of the times.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: May 30, 2019 20:30

Mick hasn’t sung the lyrics “hear whip the women” in many many years

Date: May 30, 2019 20:51

Cooltoplady
Mick hasn’t sung the lyrics “hear whip the women” in many many years

Absolutely correct. It’s a fair compromise which works. It’s the same with live renditions of Some Girls. However, I genuinely don’t see the offence in the lyrics of the former. A black girlfriend of mine loved being referred to as ‘My brown sugar’

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: May 30, 2019 21:15

Me thinks Ian Brennan has a poster of Tipper Gore above his bed.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 30, 2019 22:48

Stoneage
This is nothing new. It refers to identity politics and cultural relativism. "Tintin in the Congo" was brought to justice here in Sweden in 2011. But was turned down by the Chancellor of Justice.
It was called "Tintin-gate". They also turned on "Pippi Longstocking" and an ice-cream called Nogger. They didn't win in any case. But this still goes on of course. It's a sign of the times.

It’s also a mix of neo-marxism, Hem&Skola, the Moslim Brotherhood and third wave feminism.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 30, 2019 23:04

…. has it got any dobbing in it ?????
The latest low-dog trend that is sweeping the world …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 31, 2019 00:37

Stoneage

Hope they win it at the end, In Holland a lot of things from my childhood are changed because of alleged discrimination

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 31, 2019 00:58

Well, I have never been a fan of historical revisionism Nicos. I do not believe in it.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 31, 2019 01:46

Your totally correct my friend

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 31, 2019 04:28

beating slaves could be a metaphor for beating slaves.
we're in the dark; no offense.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 31, 2019 05:59

Send It To me
I mean, in fairness, they are some crazy lyrics. If I heard widespread offense by African-Americans, I'd give it pause, but I never have. Maybe it's just because Jagger is hard to understand. Has anyone ever asked Darryl or Bernard or Lisa about it?

Do you mean black people?

I'm hoping you know some things.

IF you heard "widespread offense"?

I'm a bit curious as to what that means because, basically, what you said is absurd.

Date: May 31, 2019 06:00

Ignore the hype.

The Stones do.

Date: May 31, 2019 06:04

Sighunt
It is interesting that in that lengthy Rolling Stone interview that Jagger did with Jann Wenner during the Voodoo Lounge tour he stated something like, "I couldn't write that raw today" in reference to Brown Sugar.

I have posted this before on this forum and I will re-state this. One of my favorite Rolling Stones songs is Midnight Rambler. Always loved it (not necessarily because of the lyrical content, but more for the musicality of the tune), but my wife (who has spent her entire career working on behalf of women and victim's rights) hates that song to pieces (along with Under My Thumb) and over the years has asked me why I listen to it?

When my wife saw the Stones in Buffalo in 2015, she sat next to her friend who was a Stones newbie and when my wife explained to her what was going on in during Midnight Rambler, she was also offended.

I make no apologies about the Stones. Part of who they were was presenting both sides of the coin (darkness and light). That was their appeal to me. They could write beautiful ballads (Angie, She's a Rainbow, Ruby Tuesday) and address the dark side of humanity (Midnight Rambler, Sympathy for the Devil).

I find it entertaining that people get "offended" for something they know NOTHING about.

Me: I like Jiff peanutbutter
Them: Don't you mean GIF? Butter? What are you on about?

Date: May 31, 2019 07:42

NICOS
Stoneage

Hope they win it at the end, In Holland a lot of things from my childhood are changed because of alleged discrimination

That Christmas tradition where local’s go blackface? Yeah, that’s a little iffy these days!

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 31, 2019 08:48

Well, if that's what it takes - I would point out the racist "Puerto Rican girls" line in "Miss You", the violence in "Midnight Rambler" and we all know what will give Mick "Satisfaction", right? Don't play them any more!!

Hmmm . . . maybe Ian Brennan is a closet Stones fan who is just tired of the warhorses. This might be his very clever way of getting them to shake up the setlist!!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 31, 2019 08:56

drbryant

Hmmm . . . maybe Ian Brennan is a closet Stones fan who is just tired of the warhorses. This might be his very clever way of getting them to shake up the setlist!!

A good one!grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: May 31, 2019 09:00

I believe they sing many songs about such things. Wait till Mick starts Up songs about the girls dancing in their undies and gyrating to boys on prime time and pretending it's 'music as we see very day in 2019

Come on!

Isn't modern 'music' video more sexist and offensive to the image of women.

This idiot is selling a book, and we're all giving him free publicity

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: May 31, 2019 10:50

Why even play lip service to what someone says should not be played, you give these people a voice when you put stuff like this out, the guy can think what he wants, that's his choice to listen to it or not, shouldn't make a difference to us. I really hate the way people give credence to this BS Brennan said, or what anyone else will say in future, just play your Rolling Stones, i don't know who he is and i don't want to know, i'm sure he has an agenda, and i have an agenda too, to enjoy the music i love.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1947
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home