Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
The Stones are the world's GREATEST RnR band & I'm offended
Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: May 28, 2019 23:43

this was in today's chicago tribune on the op-ed / letters page.

[www.chicagotribune.com]

this is so stupid and vapid i can't..................

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-31 23:59 by bv.

Re: the stones are the world's GREATEST RnR band & i'm offended
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 29, 2019 00:00

I don't understand his one.......

"This is not a call for censorship or curtailing of artistic speech"

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: May 29, 2019 00:03

Sure, let's ban all lyrics that may be offensive, that may speak of things that are not so moral, and let's make sure nobody's sensibilities are offended. We'd be left with the jam at the end of Can't You Hear Me Knocking!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 29, 2019 00:06

Maybe they should play Some Girls instead ………

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 29, 2019 00:09

" Unfortunately, our website is currently unavailable in most European countries...".

Date: May 29, 2019 00:14

Big Mama Thornton was first to record Hound Dog
Big Maybelle cut the original Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: May 29, 2019 00:20

Commentary: The problem with the Rolling Stones' 'Brown Sugar'
Rolling Stones
By: Ian Brennan

Imagine everyone in a sold-out stadium singing along joyfully to a tune glorifying slavery, rape, torture and pedophilia, with the entire chorus led by a hyper-gesticulating 75-year-old white male, centimillionaire. It sounds like something out of a dystopian horror film or a tale of 19th century-era evil.

Sadly, this spectacle is coming to a major city near you — right here in our post-“Get Out” world and with audiences around the globe paying princely sums to participate in the privilege.

The violence and stereotypes depicted by the lyrics of the Rolling Stones’ “Brown Sugar” are repulsive, yet the song continues to be broadcast without a peep by radio stations around the world and is blasted in cafes, airports, gyms, shopping centers and the ilk, even now well into the #MeToo and #TimesUp era.

Clearly, if the song’s same words were recited publicly, they would incite outrage. Twitter would run amok, friendships would fray, careers would capsize, swallowed whole by waves of shame. Somehow though, when set to music, the words are ignored. This is largely due to pop music being routinely dismissed as a triviality — a belittlement that belies pop culture’s pervasiveness, and thereby the danger of its often hidden or mixed messages.

After an interruption so that lead singer Mick Jagger could deal with a health issue, the Rolling Stones will resume their international “No Filter” stadium tour June 21 at Soldier Field. “Brown Sugar,” far from some obscure B-side, is sure to be on the setlist. From the “Sticky Fingers” album, it was a No. 1 Billboard hit in 1971 that the band has continued to perform and repeatedly bring to life on stage.

Instead of being held to a higher standard as their stature should demand, those with celebrity and power are too often given a pass. A teenage barista would likely be fired for daring speak the line, “Brown Sugar, how come you taste so good? Brown Sugar, just like a young girl should,” to a customer or colleague. Yet, the Stones have brazenly gotten away with this jeering harassment for decades.

Commentary: Moral clarity? Kate Smith's 'God Bless America' vs. Woody Guthrie's 'This Land Is Your Land' »

This is not a call for censorship or curtailing of artistic speech, but a plea for superstars to accept at least a fraction of accountability for their words as the rest of us.

With compassion and respect for Jagger’s health scare, his brush with mortality could not provide a more fitting moment for the band to acknowledge its error in judgment and retire the song permanently — as a voluntary effort to heal and educate their audience.

The issue today is not that they ever wrote the song. Nor that they have ever sung it. The fault is that they keep singing it.

For anyone remaining an apologist for “the greatest rock ’n’ roll band in the world,” I challenge you to speak the lyrics to “Brown Sugar” in its entirety aloud and irony-free before a diverse group of strangers.

Go ahead, I dare you.

Ian Brennan is a music producer who has devoted his career to promoting voices from underheard regions and persecuted populations. His fifth book, “Silenced by Sound: The Music Meritocracy Myth” will be published in the fall.

not very good at copying. think i got it all. have NO IDEA what the hell a "post" 'get out' world is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-29 00:22 by sundevil.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 29, 2019 00:32

yes i quite agree with that fine jounalist; but this must only be the warning shot;
destroying How come he tastes so good kinda stuff;
there are many violent movies with characters who have GUNS and do really crazy shit; those have to go too.
All kinds of risque and highly anti-social language those scriptwriters
and novelists have that is offensive, and it's right on TV or the big screen,
or these nasty tracking devices...and it's plainly not nice. Steinbeck and Dostoevsky
got away with murder and it's got to STOP.
It's not nice. i dig nice.
i think the entire entertainment industry needs a big overhaul
and this guy is leading the way; to sad fan derision.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 29, 2019 00:32

Thanks, Sundevil. Not much to read though...

Date: May 29, 2019 00:34

that i shot the sheriff guy is in BIG trouble now...eye popping smiley

Date: May 29, 2019 00:44

the bozo is not offended by highly charged violent profane hip hop which is the Key demographic for HuGe stream sales and constant new artists with the same
de rigeur violent threat being necessary before even a hip hop artist
can hope to be signed to a recording deal.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 29, 2019 00:45

Singing about certain unsavory topics doesn't necessarily mean glorifying them.

The Stones certainly aren't glorifying slavery, although they have glorified a lot of taboo topics, but the world is a seedy place full of twisted people...art is just a reflection of that underbelly.

The Stones have a lot of upbeat, danceable crowd-pleasers with nasty lyrics. I doubt many people singing along even give the lyrical content a second thought.

This article doesn't resonate with me.

Date: May 29, 2019 00:48

In Georgia Slop; Jimmy McCraklin talking bout people partying hard after a work week and they 'don't give a hoot about no police'....
that should have been stopped decades ago.
I've listened a HUNDRED times and no on a subconscious level, i am ruined.
where was this bozette when he really could have stopped a LOT of very naughty stuff. tina practically sucks off hat microphone in 69; just picking that number for a year of a tour is disgusting; then she has to go make it obvious.
awful.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: May 29, 2019 00:54

Only in America!
Throws bomb ...stands back.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: May 29, 2019 00:57

Sounds like a mama's boy quick to blame others for their own
foolishness.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 29, 2019 01:10

It is great that the Rolling Stones are still pissing off a few people.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: May 29, 2019 01:26

20 Famous Politically Incorrect Songs (The Stones make the list twice)

[www.usatoday.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-29 04:58 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: May 29, 2019 03:20

crazy complaint.

stones have never glorified anything with lyrics, its a bit like a newsreader, he tells a sad story of the terrible things that happen in the world, and the public accept that he dosent make it up or condone it, and that hes only reading what someone says happens. so why is it different for the stones. same with actors, only dafties get mixed up what actors do and what is real life and they understand actors are only portraying what has happened, so why pick on the stones, theyre only telling a story.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 29, 2019 03:25

Gotta say, I think it every time. Its one of my favorite songs of all time but I love the idea of being on stage belting out the line "just like a black girl should". But I do think every time "in this sensitive time, if you look at the lyrics PC babies could have a field day with this." You can be offended by anything these days. I think they are idiots to point it out but I enjoy that it works people up. I'll continue to blast it for all to hear.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 29, 2019 03:40

Geez, Louise, I am bad bad bad. I have some of those songs noted by USA Today in my music mix. If you don't get up and move to "Kung Fu Fighting" and sing along on the chorus, something's seriously wrong with you. Alas, no "Brown Sugar" in the mix - it's a song I just got tired of hearing - though, after the Chicago guy's article, I may have to give it a spin. I think Kris Kristofferson knew something way back then:

Blame It On The Stones

Mister Marvin Middle Class is really in a stew Wond'rin' what the younger generation's coming to And the taste of his martini doesn't please his bitter tongue Blame it on the Rolling Stones.

Blame it on the Stones; blame it on the Stones You'll feel so much better, knowing you don't stand alone Join the accusation; save the bleeding nation Get it off your shoulders; blame it on the Stones

Mother tells the ladies at the bridge club every day Of the rising price of tranquilizers she must pay And she wonders why the children never seem to stay at home Blame it on the Rolling Stones.

Blame it on the Stones; Blame it on the Stones You'll feel so much better, knowing you don't stand alone Join the accusation; save the bleeding nation Get it off your shoulders; blame it on the Stones

Father's at the office, nightly working all the time Trying to make the secretary change her little mind And it bothers him to read about so many broken homes Blame it on those Rolling Stones.

Blame it on the Stones; Blame it on the Stones You'll feel so much better knowing you don't stand alone Join the accusation; same the bleeding nation Get it off your shoulders; blame it on the Stones Blame it on the stones, blame it on the stones.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: May 29, 2019 03:57

TornAndFried
20 Politically Incorrect Songs (The Stones make the list twice)

[www.usatoday.com]

I remember seeing the Genesis (Illegal Alien) video on MTV. At the time I was deeply offended by Phil Collins’ moustache.

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: May 29, 2019 04:28

Stupid op ed. Everyone knows that Mick Jagger is not a rapist or a racist. A little odd, yes. He is odd. But his music is a character. He morphs into the Midnight Rambler or Brown Sugar and when he is this character he is not really Mick. Even when he is Mick or this character he is not a racist or a racist or a pedophile. This article is complete bull.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 29, 2019 05:35

NICOS
I don't understand his one.......

"This is not a call for censorship or curtailing of artistic speech"

Oh it's very simple. All it's saying is for Mick Jagger to say, "Yes, I wrote this."

How far will this crap can go is amazing. It's an audio snapshot.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: May 29, 2019 05:45

Aaaah, he has a BOOK OUT THIS FALL. They didn't find him, he found 'them' to peddle his wares

Who Cares.....

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: May 29, 2019 07:30

KingmanBarstow

I remember seeing the Genesis (Illegal Alien) video on MTV. At the time I was deeply offended by Phil Collins’ moustache.

Can I assume that there's a typo above and you meant to write....

At the time I was deeply offended by Phil Collins

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: May 29, 2019 07:45

The song was played on soul format radio in the United States in the early '70s, as well as mainstream Top 40. This guy got his clicks, that's all he cares about.

Date: May 29, 2019 08:45

Song about a character, reflecting a time capsule in society. It still is.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: May 29, 2019 08:45

Can I hear voices from the past? That all reminds me of 1960s and 70s journalism when the Stones were viewed as the greatest possible threat to human culture and civilization.

For God's sake, they stopped urinating on walls ... at least in the public :-)

Date: May 29, 2019 09:54

…. now days its just a world of girly-breathes …. always sookin'

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 29, 2019 10:00

All I draw from Brown Sugar is that Mick must’ve really being enjoying bonking Marsha Hunt at the time. Actually, has Mick ever been romantically linked with any other black women?

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1628
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home