Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Shine a Light Edit (Beacon Theater 2006)
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: May 27, 2019 16:09

I was trying to make a video clip of Just My Imagination from the Shine a Light movie. I didn't like the mix in one part in particular where the horns are very loud
and the guitars are buried.

I thought I'd overdub the sound from the CD of Shine A Light. Much to my surprise the CD version of Just My Imagination is about 40 seconds shorter than the DVD.

In the image below, Keith is seen ending Just My Imagination long after the audio was over.

Re: Shine a Light Edit (Beacon Theater 2006)
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 27, 2019 17:05

They tweak all kinds of live tracks. Listen to LSTNT from HAMPTON and then STILL LIFE - same one, different endings.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 27, 2019 22:06

…. I want my money back ……

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 27, 2019 22:53

Well I just listened to HONK! ‘Shine A Light’
the guitar weaving is very pretty, pretty pretty.
I knew it when I got a glimpse of Keith playing it live on a magic phone hookup,
and yep,
‘tis so on the new record.

Date: May 27, 2019 23:31

GasLightStreet
They tweak all kinds of live tracks. Listen to LSTNT from HAMPTON and then STILL LIFE - same one, different endings.

THANKS. I'll have a listen. I never noticed.

On the Shine a Light CD they cut out a jam near the end of Just My Imagination. They cut out from the next to the last chorus up to the last chorus.

The DVD seems to have the whole thing or at least a bit more than the DVD.

One the DVD the first chorus in Imagination has the horns way up high, different than the audio release (CD).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-28 03:37 by exilestones.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: May 28, 2019 17:18

live, i got to see the whole song for sure!!

Date: May 28, 2019 17:34

exilestones
GasLightStreet

On the Shine a Light CD they cut out a jam near the end of Just My Imagination. They cut out from the next to the last chorus up to the last chorus.

One the DVD the first chorus in Imagination has the horns way up high, different than the audio release (CD).

Another very strange edit is Black Limousine from whatever single it was, Wild Horses or LARS. On the recent live album that it's on it's arrangement is 3/4ths different!!!!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 28, 2019 20:40

Shine A Light was a huge disappointment. A couple cuts, Buddy Guy, Cristina, but for the most part not as good as the Biggest Bang DVD set from the same period.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 28, 2019 21:11

To me it was not disappointing at all.
The Movie is superb - MS did a great job. And the CD is always a pleasure to listen to, one of their finest live CD´s, imo.

Date: May 28, 2019 22:05

There is paint drying.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: May 28, 2019 23:13

HMS
To me it was not disappointing at all.
The Movie is superb - MS did a great job. And the CD is always a pleasure to listen to, one of their finest live CD´s, imo.

Hey you're back, were you been HMS, did you get disillusioned, or like me just got too busy living life.

Posted by: maradona ()
Date: May 28, 2019 23:58

exilestones
GasLightStreet

I think I noticed that right after its release more than ten years ago. And still today, it kind of freaks me out a bit... Not that I would compare it to what they had done to Rocks Off on the Live Licks album (which is probably the worst example on earth for post-production) but I like the DVD versions of the songs included on Shine A Light so much better – except for the weird sound mixes, as you probably do.

By the way: If you feel like doing so, have the same DVD-CD-comparison for Loving Cup (the soloing-part of Mick & Jack White in the end). Or Tumbling Dice. Or Satisfaction. Same story, unfortunately...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-28 23:59 by maradona.

Date: May 29, 2019 02:11

I'm still shaking my head because of the way the Let's Spend the Night Together movie was butchered. We need the whole Tempe concert released.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 29, 2019 13:06

Rockman
…. I want my money back ……
Store credit only !

Date: May 29, 2019 16:22

The one live album I regret buying.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 29, 2019 16:44

I've only watched it once...I found it quite disappointing. Scorsese did a great job...I just wish he'd managed to capture a better show.

Date: May 29, 2019 16:56

Better than any subsequent DVD-release (incl. Havana Moon, Sweet Summer Sun and all the countless Vault-releases). Superb camera angles, great songs, great show - fantastic release.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: May 29, 2019 18:12

I think I watched the dvd once only (I do have the double cd and play that occasionally). What really bothers me about the film is that the sound mixing is weird. Everytime you see for instance Keith move from the right to the left on stage, his guitar switches from the right channel to the left. For a movie that's normal, but not for a concert show. The same goes for close ups: Keith in close up and lo! up goes his volume.
As I am quite sensitive to where the players' sound comes from (Keith on the right, Ron on the left), I just can't watch it.
The cd I find not great but not bad either, my main criticism is the guest vocalists, some of whom are really bad singers, compared to Mick.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: May 29, 2019 23:51

On the CD blondies guitar in you got the silver is missing. With only one guitar it sounds poor

Date: May 30, 2019 13:31

SomeGuy
I think I watched the dvd once only (I do have the double cd and play that occasionally). What really bothers me about the film is that the sound mixing is weird. Everytime you see for instance Keith move from the right to the left on stage, his guitar switches from the right channel to the left. For a movie that's normal, but not for a concert show. The same goes for close ups: Keith in close up and lo! up goes his volume.
As I am quite sensitive to where the players' sound comes from (Keith on the right, Ron on the left), I just can't watch it.
The cd I find not great but not bad either, my main criticism is the guest vocalists, some of whom are really bad singers, compared to Mick.

Interesting. I tried to put the CD mix to the movie as this thread started. As it's been pointed out that the CD is edited. IS the movie edited too? Not sure but several songs are longer than the CD.

There's some cool stuff here. I'm glad to have it, especially She Was Hot and a few others.

Honk Tonk was cut from Shine a Light which has to be the best version of the song since Ron has been in the band! The Stones must be saving it for something.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 30, 2019 14:15

exilestones

IS the movie edited too?

You could find it out via an Audience-Recording: [iorr.org] - but the Sound in general seems not to be good: [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] .

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 31, 2019 03:18

[www.youtube.com]
It's Only Rock'n'Roll (But I Like It) - The Rolling Stones

what's the personnel on this one please?

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 31, 2019 20:18

GasLightStreet

Listen to TIOMS from Still LIfe and Hampton. Same version but for some reason, the Still Life has a different opening verse. Instead of the usual "you always say that you wanna be free" it's "you're searching for good times, just wait and see". I've always wondered why they had to edit that.

Date: June 1, 2019 05:16

DGA35
GasLightStreet

Listen to TIOMS from Still LIfe and Hampton. Same version but for some reason, the Still Life has a different opening verse. Instead of the usual "you always say that you wanna be free" it's "you're searching for good times, just wait and see". I've always wondered why they had to edit that.

That is weird. They edit things... for some reason. I can't understand why they changed Black Limo (STRIPPED) for the single B-side and yet for the live album it's completely different.

Of course, I'm talking about edits that are impossible or difficult to hear, unlike JJF or Brown Sugar on LOVE YOU LIVE or, ha ha, Rocks Off on LIVE LICKS.

Date: June 1, 2019 05:25

The movie was fun - the first time in a theatre.

Having watched it again, it made me cringe. The album is awful.

I'll never watch or listen to it again. It's so contrived and full of fakery it's sad. Shorty's ego was captured excellently. He's such a jerk.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 1, 2019 11:13

Keith's "solo" on SFTD ist a hot candidate for the lousiest guitar part in Rock history ...

Date: June 1, 2019 19:28

Strange how many people doesn´t seem to like it. The pictures are so GREAT! Remember Keith spitting out his cigarette - what a scene. And the music is great imo.

Date: June 1, 2019 22:55

hopkins
[www.youtube.com]
It's Only Rock'n'Roll (But I Like It) - The Rolling Stones

what's the personnel on this one please?

Drums: Kenney Jones 
Bass: Willie Weeks 
12-string acoustic guitar: Ron Wood 
Electric guitars: Keith Richards 
Lead vocals: Mick Jagger 
Backing vocals: Mick Jagger, Keith Richards & Ron Wood 
Piano: Ian Stewart 

Date: June 2, 2019 05:32

HMS
Strange how many people doesn´t seem to like it. The pictures are so GREAT! Remember Keith spitting out his cigarette - what a scene. And the music is great imo.

Perhaps if it was from 1978...

Date: June 2, 2019 20:28

GasLightStreet
HMS

Perhaps if it was from 1978...

...much better setlist at The Beacon 2006.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2034
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home