Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith Richards: How Much Is the Rolling Stones Legend Worth?
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 27, 2019 09:04

[www.cheatsheet.com]

There are some musicians you don’t expect to live into their fifties, let alone their seventies. Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards, now 75, ranks near the top of that list for many. But Keith isn’t just alive; he’s still touring and playing at a high level.

No one could have imagined this type of fate for the Stones when he and Mick Jagger were founding the band in the early 1960s. Yet here they are and, despite a recent health scare for Mick, they’re planning to hit the road again in 2019. (The tour kicks off in Chicago on June 21.)

After all these years and at least 200 million record sales, you know Keith and his crew can’t be doing it for the money. Not even Keith’s heirs will be able to spend the fortune the guitar and songwriting legend has amassed over the years. Here’s the source of his riches and his net worth in 2019.

Keith’s 57 years of productivity with the Stones
Any band that can stay popular for decades will lead a comfortable life from touring box office proceeds, album sales, merchandise, and all the rest. But the Rolling Stones did that as one of the world’s most in-demand bands.

Their Billboard chart history tells the tale of domination. For starters, the band’s 38 albums that cracked the top 10 is a record that won’t likely be topped. It’s simply too difficult to stay that popular and productive for the better part of six decades.

Meanwhile, nine of those albums made No. 1; six made it to No. 2; and another seven got as high as No. 3 on the Billboard 200 chart. (That makes 23 records in the top three.) Worldwide, the band’s record sales may be as high as 250 million. (There’s no way to count exactly.)

That would make the Stones the biggest-selling band of all time after groups like The Beatles and Led Zeppelin. But here’s the thing: Zeppelin and the Fab Four have been out of the picture for more than 40 years. The Stones are still raking in the cash.

Keith’s net worth estimated at over $300 million

Being one of the last rock gods standing has its benefits. Just ask billionaire Paul McCartney and the surviving members of Led Zeppelin. In the case of Keith and the Stones, it has meant the ability to continue hauling in obscene sums every time the band feels like playing in front of live audiences.

Unlike Zeppelin, which has never undertaken a reunion tour, the Stones only stopped playing live shows together for short stretches over the past 57 years. Apparently, there’s nothing else they’d rather do, and there’s jore than enough demand among fans to make it highly profitable every time.

That’s how you amass a fortune estimated at over $300 million in 2019. In a perfect world, the writer of “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction,” “Jumpin’ Jack Flash,” “Honky Tonk Woman,” and “Paint It Black” (among 280 more) would not have to lift a finger to stay fabulously wealthy.

However, Keith and the Stones do not hold the rights to their 1960s music. (They made a deal to control their post-1971 songs in 2013.) Keith and the group found a way to their riches without that mattering in the slightest.

Re: Keith Richards: How Much Is the Rolling Stones Legend Worth?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 27, 2019 09:09

…. wonder how much they pocketed
from Doom and Gloom in latest Avengers Endgame …..$$$$$

ROCKMAN

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: May 27, 2019 11:33

Keith is unique and priceless!
Forever!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 27, 2019 13:21

Not sure who cheatsheet.com are but clearly they are not in the same league as say, Forbes or the UK's Financial Times.
No indepth analysis offered, no mention of tax rates , lifestyles, charitable giving, royalty rates etc ...all of which can have some impact on net wealth.
Just very broad assumptions.
The comparison with Zepellin members is interesting though. I mean apart from Zep reissues etc Page's income post 1980 must be pretty modest. No massive tour income, unlike Keith. Not a tax exile like Mick. Yet he is still up there with the others in the Rich lists. .

Date: May 28, 2019 09:39

That seems right; it's a 'people magazine' kinda general guesstimate;
i'd apologize for the click-bait except what really blew me away;
and i should have just highlighted it;
was the track record of how many albums went to #1 or #2 or #3 in over
three dozen albums (that they are counting as studio albums; i think the number was 38. I appreciate your critique of this piece; let's say he's got oodles,
and a portfolio that none of us really know about; AND Investment incomes and expenditures we'll never hear about. Safe to say that after tens of millions with half way decent management overseeing the other staff; and their ownership of original product since the Atlantic signings of their own label in '71...plus his income stream as co-writer on several dozens of hugely widely, still being covered albums, as well as what he does get from back catalog post Klein and even songwriter monies from the stuff that he and Mick lost their own publishing rights for. I guess much to do about nothing; hope some of the sales figures were interesting....we get it, he's pretty rich; there's hundreds of millios records of sold; he does luggage commercials if they'll throw a zillion for him to get his picture taken....he ain't hurtin'....it's beautiful and wooded where he lives. I'm glad he's here and well off.

It's likely written by a young person who might be a casual fan
and probably published and pointed to similar young people who
might not be aware of this awesome presence thru decades they were
not yet born into...it is a positive piece; more admiration; than
any suggestion it's improper; and it was good to see it in one of my feeds.

haha you'd think the glims would throw charlie a co-write once in a blue moon.
i guess Ron got a couple. i don't know if Brian got any; maybe one?
bill got his song on satanic; that was his first, and maybe his last?
lol, he said he wrote to the riff for jjf and i've had endless fun with that...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-28 09:44 by hopkins.

Posted by: sandandglue ()
Date: May 28, 2019 10:11

Depends on the eBay listing fees. Have you got one for sale?

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: May 28, 2019 10:42

And does he claim his State Pension?grinning smiley

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: Xam ()
Date: May 28, 2019 11:12

Rockman
…. wonder how much they pocketed
from Doom and Gloom in latest Avengers Endgame …..$$$$$

I wonder(ed) that too, maybe some industry type can/will give us a clue... I bet an extra $ to... $$$$$$

I will say it was my fav part of that movie. I just love it when Stones music starts cranking in a movie... or elevator... or store... in my car... in the car next to me... when I drop the needle on my turntable... or when I go to Youtube and just press play.

Guess it all sums up to... Keef is worth every $100,000 he has to his name.

Makes my heart go BOOM BOOM BOOM!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 28, 2019 11:41

Hey Xam ....love ta see ya in
a bath when Start Me Up comes on ….. hhhhhaahuh huh … hhha

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Xam ()
Date: May 28, 2019 11:55

Rockman
Hey Xam ....love ta see ya in
a bath when Start Me Up comes on ….. hhhhhaahuh huh … hhha
grinning smiley
They actually wrote a song about that!

Splish Splash I was takin a bath... when suddenly the Stones came on...
sumthin sumthin...
sumthin sumthin...
An'then the people downstairs were screamin!... Where'd that flood come from! drinking smiley

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 28, 2019 13:37

Go Keith !!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 28, 2019 15:13

PRICELESS

jeroen

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: May 28, 2019 17:24

They have been saying for maybe a decade that him and Jagger have about 300 million dollars each.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-28 17:32 by stanlove.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 28, 2019 20:43

I see that 300 Million over and over. Who knows how much they really have. It's possible that they could have made some canny investments over the years when Rupert Lowenstein and others were around. McCartney's billion isn't all from him or Beatles related product. Lennon had dairy cows.

Date: May 29, 2019 00:51

bill had a hamburger stand. good investment. people dig burgers.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 29, 2019 00:54

stanlove
They have been saying for maybe a decade that him and Jagger have about 300 million dollars each.

If they had 300m a decade ago, simply by getting 7 pct on their investments they would have 600m today, plus whatever earned in the past decade.
On the other hand, they have expensive lifestyles and many, many people on the payroll.

Date: May 29, 2019 00:59

hundreds of millions

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-29 12:11 by hopkins.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 29, 2019 01:06

[www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 29, 2019 01:49

They've grossed about $2.5 billion just from concert tickets since 1989 - with the record sales, t-shirt sales, books, movies, side investments, everything he was worth pre-'89, he's gotta be worth significantly more than $300m

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-29 01:51 by Send It To me.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: May 29, 2019 02:52

Who cares? As Keith himself said, it's just a bunch of zeros.

Drew

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1778
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home