Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: The Bittersweet Symphony dispute is over
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 24, 2019 09:09

DandelionPowderman
35love
Probably as much as hiring Victoria Secret models for the videos:

THE ROLLING STONES You Got me Rocking(KAROLINA KURKOVA)
[m.youtube.com]

THE ROLLING STONES Let Me Down Slow (DOUTZEN KROES)
[m.youtube.com]

Those are fan videos smiling smiley

Uh-huh, sure.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 24, 2019 09:27

1963luca0
According to recent (2018) interviews given by Aschcroft, he extimated to be circa 100 million dollars the gross amount of money generated by 'Bittersweet Symphony', in terms of royalties. I guess he summed up ABKCO's (copyright holder) and Jagger/Richards (Authors) figures. Not bad, actually.
I admired the Glimmer Twins a little bit more, now.
Bye, Luca

Andrew Oldham also gets a cut...I wonder how much?

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: May 24, 2019 09:34

good stuff, thanks for posting.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 24, 2019 09:37

Andrew Oldham also gets a cut...I wonder how much?

Hey yeah Annie should ask him at that
Q&A for the Rod Stewart doco Toronto May30th …… yeah good idea ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 24, 2019 12:41

good on mick & keithsmileys with beer

Posted by: DD ()
Date: May 24, 2019 13:55

Sorry, am I missing something here? People glad-handing Mick and Keith for doing the right thing? I love the Stones as much as any of you but if it meant that much to them to see justice done they could have done it at any point over the last TWO DECADES. I'll tell you what, if Mick felt he was being denied millions of pounds due to him he'd have been on the phone before breakfast. Typical pompous rock star entitlement from the pair of them. And the statement released on their behalf...

In a statement, The Rolling Stones acknowledged that Ashcroft had been denied the rights to "one of his most iconic songs, including the lyrical content" for more than two decades.
"Of course there was a huge financial cost but any songwriter will know that there is a huge emotional price greater than the money in having to surrender the composition of one of your own songs. Richard has endured that loss for many years."

...is vacuous in the context of how long it's taken them to perform this 'gesture'.

The sort of episode which (once more) challenges your love for them.

Declan

Mick and Keith give song credits to Richard Ashcroft.
Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: May 24, 2019 10:38

Sorry if already posted, but i got to say this sounds about right to me, i could never hear the connection with The Last Time.
[www.msn.com]

Re: Mick and Keith give song credits to Richard Ashcroft.
Posted by: Ket ()
Date: May 24, 2019 11:51

keithsman
Sorry if already posted, but i got to say this sounds about right to me, i could never hear the connection with The Last Time.
[www.msn.com]

[iorr.org]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 24, 2019 15:05

Send It To me
The right thing to do, and also good because it'll annoy Allen Klein's ghost

Jews don't believe in the afterlife... winking smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 24, 2019 15:57

Nice.

Seeing how their in a good mood. I wonder if they'll also stop shitting on Brian now?

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 24, 2019 16:34

35love
must we drudge up what everyone said at the bar 25 years ago? ^

“I would like to thank the main players in this, my management Steve Kutner and John Kennedy, the Stones manager Joyce Smyth and Jody Klein (for actually taking the call) lastly a huge unreserved heartfelt thanks and respect to Mick and Keith. Music is power.”
I'm not disparaging anyone...I was simply remembering what was said back in the day, and asked if anyone else recollected the same.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 24, 2019 16:34

bill's gonna be pissed when he hears about this.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: May 24, 2019 17:29

Whatever Aschcroft has said or still says, he should be very, very greatful to Mick and Keith, simply because (although I never liked his business attitude, to say the least) Klein was correct. The main tune of "Aschcroft's song" is a copy of the Andrew Oldham Orchestre's version of The Last Time. And when there are "rules" on how many seconds you can use for free, or when you reach the copyright limits, you ought to know your limitations. Aschcroft clearly didn't (or ignored it). His public attitude toward the Stones in the past sucked (a lot) and, even though "Symphony" is a very nice song, according to the then rules, it was stolen.
To make up for it he should record a couple of Stones songs as a return of favor.

Date: May 24, 2019 17:45

A 50/50 split would be fair due to his lyrics.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 24, 2019 18:02

His Majesty

I agree 50% for ALO and 50% for Ashcroft

Date: May 24, 2019 18:13

NICOS
His Majesty

0 for ALO. He did no writing of any kind for any version of TLT.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 24, 2019 18:31

Some interesting quotes here:

In a 1999 interview with Q, asked whether he believed the result was fair, Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards said: "I'm out of whack here, this is serious lawyer shit. If the Verve can write a better song, they can keep the money."[24][25] In 1999, Andrew Oldham sued for royalties after failing to receive the mechanical royalties he claimed he was owed.[26] After receiving his royalties, Oldham joked that he bought "a pretty presentable watch strap" compared to the watch Jagger and Richards would get with the money. In an interview with Uncut, he said: "As for Richard Ashcroft, well, I don't know how an artist can be severely damaged by that experience. Songwriters have learned to call songs their children, and he thinks he wrote something. He didn't. I hope he's got over it. It takes a while."[27]

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: May 24, 2019 18:34

Paddy
Classy move from Mick & Keith

20 years too late. and why is it classy? they didnt write one single note on that superhit..

Date: May 24, 2019 18:58

His Majesty
NICOS
His Majesty

This because I don't hear any simalarity between the last time and ALO' s version.

Date: May 24, 2019 19:12

keefriff99
Some interesting quotes here:

In a 1999 interview with Q, asked whether he believed the result was fair, Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards said: "I'm out of whack here, this is serious lawyer shit. If the Verve can write a better song, they can keep the money."[24][25] In 1999, Andrew Oldham sued for royalties after failing to receive the mechanical royalties he claimed he was owed.[26] After receiving his royalties, Oldham joked that he bought "a pretty presentable watch strap" compared to the watch Jagger and Richards would get with the money. In an interview with Uncut, he said: "As for Richard Ashcroft, well, I don't know how an artist can be severely damaged by that experience. Songwriters have learned to call songs their children, and he thinks he wrote something. He didn't. I hope he's got over it. It takes a while."[27]

Old ham really is a jerk here.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: May 24, 2019 19:47

Now will they give up royalties for The Last Time to the Staple Singers?

Date: May 24, 2019 19:53

NICOS
His Majesty
NICOS
His Majesty

This because I don't hear any simalarity between the last time and ALO' s version.

ME EITHER. EVER.

Date: May 24, 2019 19:58

guitarbastard
Paddy

20 years too late. and why is it classy? they didnt write one single note on that superhit..

Because it’s the right thing to do. They did right by it. That’s classy anytime.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: May 24, 2019 20:00

35love
guitarbastard
Paddy

Because it’s the right thing to do. They did right by it. That’s classy anytime.
thumbs up

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: May 24, 2019 21:16

Why should they give him anything? He stole it and Mick and Keith reward him for it?

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: May 24, 2019 21:19

M and K should be embarrassed they made a dime off of this like they needed it in the first place

Posted by: thijs1981 ()
Date: May 25, 2019 00:50

ALO (had) made a cover of The Last Time (even though hardly anyone would recognise The Last Time in the ALO cover):

[open.spotify.com]

The Verve sampled it (to be clear: they could have re-recorded drums, strings, chruch bells etc, but used the original ALO recording), negotiated clearance, used quite a lot more than agreed, melody, chords & rhythm:

[open.spotify.com]

ALO sold / licensed his masters to ABKCO when he needed things. Klein also owned the publishing to Jagger/Richards material prior to Brown Sugar or around that period. Including The Last Time.

Bittersweet Symphony has nothing to do with The Last Time. ALO's The Last Time had The Last Time as an excuse, but could have come about without it. However on the record it was a cover of The Last Time by Jagger/Richards.

The Verve took too much much and were naive, Allen Klein was always gonna be a shark, this is what happened. He owned (through ALO) the masters of the ALO Orchestra and the publishing of de Jagger/Richards songs up until Brown Sugar.

The fact that Mick & Keith were put forward as writers of The Verve song, they had nothing to do with, but neither could they prevent it. There was enough going on between ABKCO and the Stones as it were.

Date: May 25, 2019 01:27

DrPete
Now will they give up royalties for The Last Time to the Staple Singers?

[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 25, 2019 02:00

Play TLT at slower speed and you'll hear the essentials of ALOO version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-25 02:01 by His Majesty.

Date: May 26, 2019 00:43

The Staples version = a take on a 'traditional song that has no apparent writer.

The Stones version = The staples take on a traditional song simplified down as a chorus with an added new verse/melody and distinctive guitar riff.

The ALO version = The stones last Time slowed down to about 60% of original speed. Utilising a simplified version of Brian's riff as the main bass and tubular bells parts. The main verse melody is utilised as a slow string part.

BSS - The above with the verse on a loop with added lyrics and some changes to the melody. Double the tempo of Brian's riff with some additional notes for the skipping string motif.

If folks want, I can record some examples to show this more clearly in audio form.

Essentially, it's an example of the aural tradition with some creative contributions at every stage made complicated by greed based legal bullshit.

Brian's riff is key to 3 iterations. Where's his cut, credit and accolades? Ah, Mick, Keith and Charlie have been bitter about him for 50 + years so his contribution is apparently null and void. Nice. hot smiley

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-26 00:53 by His Majesty.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1493
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home