Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Bootleg albums back in the day - Stones content
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 19, 2019 19:40

Posting because of the article but also the pix in the article of a Stones bootleg cover. GWW was the first bootleg album I acquired. What was your's?

[rockandrollglobe.com]

Re: OT: Bootleg albums back in the day - Stones content
Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: May 20, 2019 01:00

BRUSSELS AFFAIR [CHAM 8812]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 20, 2019 01:14

Bright Lights, Big City

On a side note, I think this Nick Lowe quote is acccurate:

“As far as I’m concerned,” Lowe said, “it’s ideas that are exciting. It’s not the marvelous synthesizer sound or the wonderful spread on the stereo. The average guy in the street doesn’t know anything about whether the bass drum pedal’s squeaking. All he knows is where there’s emotion coming out of the speakers.”

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: May 20, 2019 09:59

Interesting article and true in many respects. He's right about the quality of early boots, most were terrible audience recordings, I sent a Hendrix boot back to the store one time it was so bad. But, we were grateful to have them. I am amused by the modern collectors who grumble about MP3 quality and have the tech to do their own remixes , we had to put up with seventh generation taped copies of bad original recordings!

My first was Bright Lights Big City and also the Cops and Robbers EP, still got 'em, still great.

And the quote from Nick Lowe is spot on.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 20, 2019 10:24

First boot ….. Liver Than You'll Ever Be

Was livin' in the hills of Hounville, Tasmania...…..Hillbilly country
with Heidi and.... James and David two eccentric brothers who came from The Jersey Island ..

James had some bootlegs and he was dead-$$$-broke so bought
Liver Than You'll Ever Be and Hendrix's Live Experience from him .... Still have 'em both somewhere ……………………….

James & Heidi ……

ROCKMAN

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: May 20, 2019 12:05

I used to pick up my bootlegs from the Waterloo Market in Amsterdam and to name a few: San Diego 69, Hyde Park 69 and Gather No Moss 76. The Gather No Moss bootlegs were on sale in a vinyl store in Haarlem and others in the Netherlands at the time untill The Rolling Stones got notify of the illegal bootlegs sale without their permission. Source Roy Carr Stones book.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: May 20, 2019 12:14

Bedspring Symphony

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 20, 2019 12:41

My first Stones boot was a 3 LP box from Hampton 1981. One record was actually a Genesis misprint.

Date: May 20, 2019 13:25

Elmo
Interesting article and true in many respects. He's right about the quality of early boots, most were terrible audience recordings, I sent a Hendrix boot back to the store one time it was so bad. But, we were grateful to have them. I am amused by the modern collectors who grumble about MP3 quality and have the tech to do their own remixes , we had to put up with seventh generation taped copies of bad original recordings!

My first was Bright Lights Big City and also the Cops and Robbers EP, still got 'em, still great.

And the quote from Nick Lowe is spot on.[/quote
First one was "Jean Clarke's Sonic BBQ" I think, which I found in Rome. Early on I had found "Winter Tour LA73" and "Mick's B'day Party" (which I think was '70) on a London street. I remember moving to NYC an all the sudden all the '78 shows popped up, all together.
But the one that ties with Elmo's post, is that Paris '65 vinyl. We hear that nowadays in pretty good quality. But in the first boot days this was the most infernal, off-speed white noise; warbly screeching girls with a semblance of out of tune guitar. But I had it on top rotation. Does anyone remember that one?

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: May 21, 2019 01:16

Ordered 3 LPs from Germany in December 1982---Claudine (Dead Spider records), Necrophilia (Black and Blue-like cover), and Out of Time (credited to Nanker Phelge-with HYSYMBSITS photo). A great way to start a boot collection with three of the best ever! Then I bought Welcome to Frankfurt and Tropical Windsongs...and ...yikes...two of the WORST ever!.....and so it goes today! You never know..but it's still great to hear stuff you don't have!

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: May 21, 2019 01:31

I am a Stonesfan since 1989 and my first bootleg was the Japanese 2cd "Urban Jungle", the BBC recordings of Wembley 1990, later also released in Europe as "Seventh of July". I bought it from someone who advertised this cd in a Dutch Stones fanclub magazine called "Shattered".

This was a realy, realy great soundboard release. I paid way too much for it (200 Dutch gulden = 90 euro), but I had no clue how much a bootleg cd like this was worth. You can now find this cd on Ebay for between 10 - 35 euro! Oefff!!!

I remember when I got it from the postoffice, hours later, in the middle of the night, I got awake and my first reaction was: Oh No! I must have dreamed it.
So instantly I went to my cd's to investigate if I realy had that one in my collection. What a relief when I saw it standing between my other Stones cd's! Hahaha!!

The problem was, because this release was so good, I expected that all bootlegs were in this soundquality. Soon I found out this was not realy the case!

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-21 02:00 by GJV.

Posted by: Jfk19562003 ()
Date: May 21, 2019 02:14

Europe 1970 from Rubber Dubber

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: May 21, 2019 09:26

If I remember rightly, Virgin Records used to sell bootlegs when they first started as just a retail outlet and before Tubular Bells changed their direction.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: May 21, 2019 10:10

Some of the first bootlegs which I bought back in 1977:

Bright Lights Big City - superb, if only for the five IBC tracks
Welcome To Frankfurt 1976 - spectacular colored vinyl, fair audience recording without bass (Bill's amp broke down)
Essen 1970 - one of the worst bootlegs I ever had. I sold it later on
Nasty Music - the greatest of the all. It blew my socks off, and it will remain the best live recording you'll ever hear. Unfortunately I was so proud that I took it to a party, where Midnight rambler got a bad scratch so it did not play properly any more.
Beautiful Delilah - it was a pretty ordinary sampler, o.k.- but not great

Later on I bought
Hyde Park 1969 (plus EP) - rather crappy sound, and Sympathy for the devil was split on both sides of the EP
Live in London 1973 - I bought this record in Berlin in 1980. It was very expensive and turned out to be a mediocre audience recording of a fantastic concert on September 8, 1973. It is now available on YouTube in great Quality

I even saw Mick Taylor - We Miss You on a flea market in Paris but it was so very expensive that I did not buy it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-21 10:11 by saltoftheearth.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: May 21, 2019 10:26

shadooby
BRUSSELS AFFAIR [CHAM 8812]

Such a great CD! Have it too and I just bought the vinyl version of it on ebay. Now I have all that I ever wanted.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: May 21, 2019 10:28

My first one of course a TSP:

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: May 21, 2019 12:24

Great stories Rockman

Date: May 21, 2019 12:56

…. wish I could tell ya
some of the stuff I got up to down there….. but there are women and children present ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: May 21, 2019 12:58

smileys with beer
I feel ya man

Posted by: marko ()
Date: May 21, 2019 13:53

2 from 1975 tour "Discover New york" and "hear the whistle blowin" both vinyl.
Then bunch of famous swingin pig bootlegs

Bright lights big city
Get satisfaction if you want
Liver than you´ll ever be
Theres no angel born in hell

then 89-90 tour bootlegs started to come out..

Date: May 22, 2019 01:23

First Stones CD boot …….

Bruce Milne founder of Au-Go-Go records took
a record-hunting trip to Japan in the mid 80's
and bought back Exile Stones boot CD… gave it to
me as a gift ………..in those days it was like receiving a hunk of gold …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: May 22, 2019 19:39

I think either "LIVEr Than You'll Ever Be"(LP) or "Hell's Stones" (3CD)

Posted by: astmalia ()
Date: May 22, 2019 20:24

The Rolling Stones gather no moss - Live in Brussels 1976

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: May 23, 2019 01:03

The Stars In The Sky They Never Lie — a fabulous one. My first Rolling Stones bootleg and I obtained my copy in early 1976. Beautiful glossy colour sleeve and great audience recording from the 1973 European tour (Germany I think). Even the definitive Brussels concert recordings that are Nasty Music, Bed Spring Symphony etc. couldn’t completely beaten the charm of this one for me.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: May 23, 2019 04:10

Stoned Concerts,got it in 1970.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1953
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home