Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Possibility of a return to the El Mocambo Tavern
Posted by: trevormcmullin ()
Date: May 17, 2019 22:40

This may have been brought up in another thread before but as we get closer to tour start I can't help but wonder if The Rolling Stones will return to the El Mocambo Tavern for a club show before tour start or even as a Canada Day surprise after Burl's Creek? Logistically it would make more sense for them to do a warm up show there before opening night, as Chicago is relatively close to Toronto and would allow them time to rest before opening night, as where as a Canada Day show would only leave them with 1 day to travel and rest between Burl's Creek and Washington,DC.

From the article below, we at least know that Michael Wekerle (owner of El Mocambo Tavern) has at least made an effort to get the band to play there again. The option is there, the scheduling could allow it to happen. Will they do it? Is the El Mocambo big enough to stage The Stones and their 7 other backing members? These are my questions.

[torontosun.com]

Re: Possibility of a return to the El Mocambo Tavern
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 17, 2019 23:02

I don't know. They're not known for repeating themselves. (Except on stage since 1999). And it's not like it was a fond memory for Keith. I doubt he would like his heroin bust amplified by the media at this point. And they sounded so much better then, they probably wouldn't like comparisons made. If they're going to do Chicago, maybe Buddy Guy's place would be preferable.

Posted by: trevormcmullin ()
Date: May 18, 2019 00:37

24FPS
I don't know. They're not known for repeating themselves. (Except on stage since 1999). And it's not like it was a fond memory for Keith. I doubt he would like his heroin bust amplified by the media at this point. And they sounded so much better then, they probably wouldn't like comparisons made. If they're going to do Chicago, maybe Buddy Guy's place would be preferable.

I don't think Keith would really care about any of that at this point in his life.That was 42 years ago. While the stage size of El Mocambo is questionable, judging from photos of Buddy Guy's Legends, it almost definitely looks too small to stage them, as cool as it would be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-18 00:38 by trevormcmullin.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: May 18, 2019 07:49

Maybe they will forego a club show in Chicago in order to finish up their long-awaited album at Chess Studios? winking smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-18 07:51 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 18, 2019 08:08

trevormcmullin
judging from photos of Buddy Guy's Legends, it almost definitely looks too small to stage them

No - I've been there and it's the perfect size stage and venue (capacity 500). If you want to see a really small stage and venue , there's the 100 Club in London (capacity 350),
yet the Stones even played there in both '82 and '86. I saw Mick Taylor there in '03 and can vouch for the smallness...I was so close to the stage it felt like I was actually standing on it two feet away from Taylor blazing away.

In all honesty, I don't think there will be a club show at all - they didn't play one on either of the previous two legs of the No Filter Tour, but you never know!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-18 08:10 by Hairball.

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: May 18, 2019 10:19

I remember the framed print on the wall (of many prints of other artists) at the El Mocambo. Signed by The Stones.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1779
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home