Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 11 of 16
Re: No Filter US Tour 2019 Rehearsals
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 16, 2019 17:28

Wow, very nice story. Mercy Mercy, that would be too cool!

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: June 16, 2019 17:36

Great report.

Opening show will definitely be the most special this time after the Mick issues.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-16 17:37 by tonyc.

Date: June 16, 2019 17:43

tonyc
Great report.

Opening show will definitely be the most special this time after the Mick issues.

It was also special in 2014, after L'Wren...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 16, 2019 18:56

DandelionPowderman
tonyc
Great report.

This time he has given some interviews and other public showings prior teh tour. If I recall right, in 2014 there was no any public sign of him until the open night, and he kept almost Dylan-like low profile throughout the European tour. I believe the tragedical 2014 event was much harder thing for him to over-come. This time it's 'just physical'..

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-16 19:33 by Doxa.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: June 16, 2019 18:57

DandelionPowderman
tonyc
Great report.

Right, Oslo 2014 had a really special vibe. And Mick came back in an amazing shape, he performed even better than on the Asia tour in Feburary. Also a special set list with Worried about you and Emotional Rescue.

Re: Tour Rehearsals-?
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 17, 2019 18:17

Woz
They can retire the blues tunes and put a classic Stones song in that slot.

NOT in Chicago!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 17, 2019 18:32

If they do indeed play Sad Sad Sad and Harlem Shuffle, the set list isn't that different from STEEL WHEELS, really.

And yet they still rehearse JJF, SMU etc... good grief, that's ridiculous.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 17, 2019 18:47

Every tour it is the same. They play many songs during rehearsals, the warhorses and lesser known songs. And everyone gets their panties wet about the rare songs they are playing. But they never make it to the setlist.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 17, 2019 18:57

Koen
Every tour it is the same. They play many songs during rehearsals, the warhorses and lesser known songs. And everyone gets their panties wet about the rare songs they are playing. But they never make it to the setlist.

don't be unfair ;-)
Usually one rare song makes it – but is immediately dropped after after the first show (Play With Fire in Hamburg, Neighbors in Dublin…, the only rare song that survived during No Filter at least for a while was Dancing With Mr D)

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 17, 2019 19:10

It would be weird if they stuck with Fingerprint File like they did with Emotional Rescue

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 17, 2019 19:56

GasLightStreet
If they do indeed play Sad Sad Sad and Harlem Shuffle, the set list isn't that different from STEEL WHEELS, really.

And yet they still rehearse JJF, SMU etc... good grief, that's ridiculous.

It is not for rehearsing those songs, it is to get the band up in speed, the rhythm in place, coordination between themselves.... like football players so they can play without looking at each other and trust each other

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: June 17, 2019 20:08

slewan
Woz
They can retire the blues tunes and put a classic Stones song in that slot.

NOT in Chicago!

LOL, fair point!

Date: June 17, 2019 22:10

I'm I missing something in that update? I don't see any deep cuts listed

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: June 17, 2019 22:36

keefriffhard4life

[iorr.org]

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: June 17, 2019 23:19

Koen

Based upon their history, I would agree with your assessment.

I wish to God they would drop Sympathy for the Devil for good. What a waste of space that tune is. Just recently, I went back and played a sample of that tune from all the good sounding soundboards and boots I have going back to Steel Wheels. From my conclusion (with the exception of the 69 tour), that tune has never sounded as good as when it was last played on the Steel Wheels tour. At least Keith played a mean solo with passion.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: June 17, 2019 23:49

Sighunt
Koen

Based upon their history, I would agree with your assessment.

I wish to God they would drop Sympathy for the Devil for good. What a waste of space that tune is. Just recently, I went back and played a sample of that tune from all the good sounding soundboards and boots I have going back to Steel Wheels. From my conclusion (with the exception of the 69 tour), that tune has never sounded as good as when it was last played on the Steel Wheels tour. At least Keith played a mean solo with passion.

The 1969 version of SFTD is something else

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 17, 2019 23:58

Nothing beats a full stadium chanting Woo-Hoo.

Posted by: WelshEdge1 ()
Date: June 18, 2019 00:00

SFTD 2017 was just horrible.

Copenhagen really stands out as just utter crap.

2018 was better though, Keith was able to play the guitar in time, hit the right notes and do a decent solo.

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: June 18, 2019 00:35

Everyone, we are NOT going to get deep album cuts. If we get one at all consider yourself lucky.
They will play 20 to 21 songs like they've done the past few years.
I'll bet 95% plus of crowd are casual fans. They like or love the Stones but aren't "purists" like we claim to be.
95% of the crowd will most likely "yawn" at Lady Jane or something similar.
Clap very politely at the end and wonder when HTW will start.
Case in point:
In April 1998 me and 25 other people in a group saw the tour closer in Toronto. ( A rescheduled date)
The Stones played Faraway Eyes. Me and my purist friend high fived each other when they played it.
On the bus, on the way home, 20 of our group went- "what was with the country song? Never heard it before?" Most people didn't like the song.
Me and my buddy loved it. 20+ others hated it or didn't know it.
21 years later? Probably same result.
I haven't seen the Stones since 2005.
So looking forward tohearing SMU, BS, JJF, Sympathy, PIB and so on. They're old friends, now
If my wife (her first show) hear Emotional Rescue? We'll be over the moon.

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: June 18, 2019 01:23

There might not be any deep cuts but songs like Monkey Man, Heartbreaker, and so on would be very welcome to the set.

Date: June 18, 2019 01:25

It would be fantastic if they brought ER back to the show. With that and Dancing With Mr D being the 2 "deep cuts" of the 19 songs they'll play, I'll have to take it.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: June 18, 2019 01:42

GasLightStreet
It would be fantastic if they brought ER back to the show. With that and Dancing With Mr D being the 2 "deep cuts" of the 19 songs they'll play, I'll have to take it.

Emotional Rescue is a novelty song like Faraway Eyes and Country Honk. In my opinion it was the low point of the shows on the 2013 US tour. It would have made for an interesting "one off" but hearing it at every show was too much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-18 02:38 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: June 18, 2019 01:49

when i was at the o2 gig in 2007, last gig of tour, an older gent in front of me, well dressed in white cowboy suit and hat, with his wife, looked a bit blank a lot of the times songs started and regularly shrugged his shoulders at his wife as if not to know these songs, i got the impression he had come for the early warhorses or mid 60,s hits but instead at the first half of the gig, got rough justice, wanna hold you, she was hot, cant you hear me knocking, aint to proud to beg, i think he didnt know these.

its maybe how casual fans of the early stones felt in the 76 tour, expecting time is on my side, the last time. lets spend the night together, paint it black, lady jane, satisfaction, its all over now, not fade away, 19th nervous breakdown, etc and instead getting a lot of, if you cant rock me, its only rock and roll, fingerprint file, hot stuff, hey negrita, fool to cry, hand of fate, star star, tumbling dice, etc. thats how i felt when i bought love you live, my first stones album.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: June 18, 2019 02:33

buttons67
its maybe how casual fans of the early stones felt in the 76 tour, expecting time is on my side, the last time. lets spend the night together, paint it black, lady jane, satisfaction, its all over now, not fade away, 19th nervous breakdown, etc and instead getting a lot of, if you cant rock me, its only rock and roll, fingerprint file, hot stuff, hey negrita, fool to cry, hand of fate, star star, tumbling dice, etc.

Maybe casual fans of the early stones felt that way somehow even from
'69-'76...but they didn't get Fingerprint File in '76 for sure...

Date: June 18, 2019 02:42

Kurt
keefriffhard4life

[iorr.org]

thank you. i read that once but missed the 3 deep cuts listed . after i second read i see it

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: June 18, 2019 04:02

dennycranium
Everyone, we are NOT going to get deep album cuts. If we get one at all consider yourself lucky.
They will play 20 to 21 songs like they've done the past few years.
I'll bet 95% plus of crowd are casual fans. They like or love the Stones but aren't "purists" like we claim to be.
95% of the crowd will most likely "yawn" at Lady Jane or something similar.
Clap very politely at the end and wonder when HTW will start.
Case in point:
In April 1998 me and 25 other people in a group saw the tour closer in Toronto. ( A rescheduled date)
The Stones played Faraway Eyes. Me and my purist friend high fived each other when they played it.
On the bus, on the way home, 20 of our group went- "what was with the country song? Never heard it before?" Most people didn't like the song.
Me and my buddy loved it. 20+ others hated it or didn't know it.
21 years later? Probably same result.
I haven't seen the Stones since 2005.
So looking forward tohearing SMU, BS, JJF, Sympathy, PIB and so on. They're old friends, now
If my wife (her first show) hear Emotional Rescue? We'll be over the moon.

People who say the Stones need to play hits because its generally casual fans at show don't really have an argument. The Stones don't play more than 50 percent of what is on Hot Rocks which is their best selling greatest hits album. Songs like Mother's Little Helper, Heart of Stone, Time is on my Side and others would be surprises if they played them live because the Stones play the same hits tour after tour.

Bands with only a few hits like say Little Feat who I saw last week, manage to mix up their set lists night after night.

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: June 18, 2019 04:06

dennycranium, playing hits doesn't mean the same hits every night, every tour. Look at their back catelog, are you trying to say the Stones only have 10 or 15 songs that casual fans know. Hardly, 19th Nervous Breakdown was a hit, people would know that, Beast of Burden is hardly played these days, no reason they can't rotate some different hits.

Date: June 18, 2019 04:30

buttons67
when i was at the o2 gig in 2007, last gig of tour, an older gent in front of me, well dressed in white cowboy suit and hat, with his wife, looked a bit blank a lot of the times songs started and regularly shrugged his shoulders at his wife as if not to know these songs, i got the impression he had come for the early warhorses or mid 60,s hits but instead at the first half of the gig, got rough justice, wanna hold you, she was hot, cant you hear me knocking, aint to proud to beg, i think he didnt know these.

its maybe how casual fans of the early stones felt in the 76 tour, expecting time is on my side, the last time. lets spend the night together, paint it black, lady jane, satisfaction, its all over now, not fade away, 19th nervous breakdown, etc and instead getting a lot of, if you cant rock me, its only rock and roll, fingerprint file, hot stuff, hey negrita, fool to cry, hand of fate, star star, tumbling dice, etc. thats how i felt when i bought love you live, my first stones album.

That's what those idiots get for not keeping up with new releases!

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 18, 2019 04:33

StonedRambler
Chris Fountain
Irix
Chris Fountain

Where is the S referred?

Here in this thread: [iorr.org] .

Thanks - It's good to read that they are playing well. However, songs rehearsed or seen were not new as Keith indicated they would do in an article posted several days ago.
The Rocks Off post said they were invited to come in after Midnight Rambler and PIB. Then they were playing "SMU, JJF, GS & S". So this seems to be the second half of the final setlist (after Keiths set). The rare songs are normally played in the first set. What's really interesting is that Brown Sugar was not played in the second set but Paint It Black instead. Maybe this means Brown Sugar could be the opener?
So maybe the setlist could look a bit like that:
Brown Sugar
IORR
TD
Ride em on down/just your fool
?
?
?
YCAGWYW
HTW
KR1
KR2
SFTD
MY
MR
PIB
SMU
JJF
---
GS
S

I would leave the stadium in tears if that was the setlist. My brother passed on the Stones this tour and paid $800 for two floor seats to Paul McCartney's show in Las Vegas. The first show of his mini tour is this Saturday in Petco Park San Diego. We'll see which show is the better value.

Date: June 18, 2019 05:16

The Sicilian
StonedRambler
Chris Fountain
Irix
Chris Fountain

Where is the S referred?

Here in this thread: [iorr.org] .

So maybe the setlist could look a bit like that:
Brown Sugar
IORR
TD
Ride em on down/just your fool
?
?
?
YCAGWYW
HTW
KR1
KR2
SFTD
MY
MR
PIB
SMU
JJF
---
GS
S

I would leave the stadium in tears if that was the setlist. My brother passed on the Stones this tour and paid $800 for two floor seats to Paul McCartney's show in Las Vegas. The first show of his mini tour is this Saturday in Petco Park San Diego. We'll see which show is the better value.

Is it because you truly have expectations of a different set list? That's a tall order. Everyone knows they're only going to do at least 2 different songs, the rest will be the nostalgic hits show.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 11 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1829
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home