Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: Gibson LP Or Fender Strat?
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 24, 2019 09:46

Different guitars make you play differently too.

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: May 24, 2019 16:58

Phil Good
My 1992 original Zemaitis Metalfront.

I think Phil has the correct answer.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: May 25, 2019 00:07

Date: May 25, 2019 00:17

audun-eg
Spud
TheflyingDutchman
audun-eg
kovach
Strat.

You can make a Strat sound like a Les Paul, but you can't make a Les Paul sound like a Strat.

You can`t make a Strat sound like a Les Paul. And vice versa, of course. That`s why many guitarplayers want both...

Some musicmans do the trick, almost.

You can't make a Strat sound like a Les Paul...but you can quite easily boost & fatten up the sound so that it will usefully serve where you would traditionally require that more "muscular" LP response.

Getting a Les Paul to do a Strat's job is not quite so easy ...and that I think is what Kovach was getting at .

[Though a responsive Les Paul with good PAF like pickups can deliver a spankier & more articulate sound than many folks would believe ...and some folks think the volume control on a guitar is just an ornament.winking smiley]

[Edited again for dyslexic fingers ...or are they my toes ? that might explain a lot actually ]

I agree. It`s not unusual to have a humbucker in a Strat, and that will make it easy to come quite near an LP sound. Especially with modern digital amp/sound simulation options.
What makes a «Strat sound» is typically the the three single coil pickups configuration. How many Les Pauls with that config? That would be none except for maybe a few rarities that nobody wants anyway.

Then there’s the construction of those guitars that differs in a lot of ways. Everything from wood to hardware, scale, bolt on/setneck and so on that may not shine through when listening, but really means a lot to the player and how he/she interacts with the instrument.

For me, the one is not better than the other in this matter. They`re different animals and boLh excellent in their own ways. And there are 100`s of variations of both the Strat and LP. (Though quite a few more Strats)

Same with Fender / Marshall amps. There´s not one Fender and one Marshall amp.

I play a Musicman JP6 sometimes, with 2 humbuckers and one single coil in the middle
I must say that it can approach both the sound of a Les Paul and a Strat if you adjust things carefully. Like I wrote: almost. Nothing beats the originals of course, however some Muicmans are originals to me as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-25 00:49 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 25, 2019 17:31

Ket
kovach
My newest baby:

Guitar
That is a lovely strat kovach! Give us the info.

MIM version, got it on clearance for $399 since Fender is replacing them with an 'upgraded' (aka more expensive) model.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: May 26, 2019 07:21

1971 Gibson LP Custom Triple-pickup "Black Beauty" done with a red sunburst, DiMarzio pickups. It looks better than I can play it, and it feels like soft leather when I play it. Old guitars just feel so great.

Posted by: Xam ()
Date: May 26, 2019 07:41

cool

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-27 01:32 by Xam.

Posted by: Xam ()
Date: May 26, 2019 07:56

nevermind... carry on

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-27 01:33 by Xam.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1099
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home