Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Gibson LP Or Fender Strat?
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 17, 2019 11:30

Shade
Some fun answers here, thanks

Marshall or Fender amp?

Marshall. You can explode vermin with 1 of those (see "Rock & Roll High School").

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: May 21, 2019 04:15

I'd go for my Gibson SG and Peavey amp

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 21, 2019 12:50

Gibson Les Paul with my beloved Marshall everyday for the rest of my life and I will blast the heck out of the volume and feel that air pushing thru those Celestion Vintage 30's .

Date: May 21, 2019 13:07

More Hot Rocks
Hairball
Since there's probably no electricity on the remote island, I'll bring my Martin acoustic.
If for some miraculous reason there is electricity, I'll bring my Strat.

The Beach boys were on a remote Island with their guitars but no electricity and this is what they sounded like.

[www.youtube.com]
Well first off , I thin k if there guitars were in tune maybe they would be able to sing in tune or the proper pitch or key , besides that the clip is funny as heck !

Date: May 21, 2019 13:53

For years an years it was only Strats through Twins; maybe a Tele too. But now I'm all about LP's and Marshalls.
I don't think you can really make on sound like the other. Playing slide on a Strat may be the closest I hear it coming to Gibson territory.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 21, 2019 14:30

Palace Revolution 2000
For years an years it was only Strats through Twins; maybe a Tele too. But now I'm all about LP's and Marshalls.
I don't think you can really make on sound like the other. Playing slide on a Strat may be the closest I hear it coming to Gibson territory.

it takes a special kind of nut (meant in good way!) to play a tele through a marshall stack. john frusciante used to do that. the chili peppers haven't been the same since he left.

Date: May 21, 2019 15:24

crholmstrom
Palace Revolution 2000

it takes a special kind of nut (meant in good way!) to play a tele through a marshall stack. john frusciante used to do that. the chili peppers haven't been the same since he left.

I have a feeling I could talk music with you all day. This is Stones forum, but several times you've said things where I am right on that same wavelength.
I wonder what Frusciante ends up doing. One of the more brilliant guitarists in last years.I could see him producing. I love these guitarists who are so powerful, that they dominate their band w/o being the leader. Richard Lloyd comes to mind; or Doug Pettibone. Nothing really wrong with Josh Klinghoffer; it just that he is so obviously a JF fan.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 21, 2019 15:33

Shade
Some fun answers here, thanks

Marshall or Fender amp?

The amp Fender never made: Boogie MkI.

I do not like Marshall amps.

Mathijs

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 21, 2019 16:12

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: May 21, 2019 18:38

GasLightStreet

That's one beautiful looking guitar!

Date: May 21, 2019 19:15

Mathijs

Mathijs

It depends on the guitarist as well. Jeff Beck always got a great sound out of them.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: May 21, 2019 19:54

Les Paul black beauty please.

Date: May 22, 2019 11:19

TheflyingDutchman
Mathijs

Mathijs

It depends on the guitarist as well. Jeff Beck always got a great sound out of them.

I absolutely hate Jeff Beck. Well, not the man, but his playing. I cannot stand it.

Mathijs

Date: May 22, 2019 12:24

Mathijs
TheflyingDutchman
Mathijs

Mathijs

I absolutely hate Jeff Beck. Well, not the man, but his playing. I cannot stand it.

Mathijs

That doesn't necessarily mean his sound isn't good.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: May 22, 2019 12:50

Tele for me, the Gibson LP may not last the next 'sell off'

Date: May 22, 2019 13:12

Jeff Beck lest it be forgotten is part of the BIG 3 - Beck , Clapton , and Page ! That's like the Mount Rushmore of guitarist !

Date: May 22, 2019 13:39

TheflyingDutchman
Mathijs
TheflyingDutchman
Mathijs

Mathijs

Mathijs

And his sound isn't any good!

Mathijs

Date: May 22, 2019 17:09

Mathijs
TheflyingDutchman
Mathijs
TheflyingDutchman
Mathijs

Mathijs

Mathijs

Mathijs

Then it's all over. Jeff Beck, the best guitarist the Stones never had. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-22 17:10 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: May 22, 2019 17:49

JB's tone is what turns me off from listening to him. I think Ron Wood has a better tone then JB.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 22, 2019 18:05

Mathijs
TheflyingDutchman
Mathijs
TheflyingDutchman
Mathijs

Mathijs

Mathijs

Mathijs

The vibrato use is way over the top. Almost to the point were it sounds like a vinyl record that's warped.

Date: May 22, 2019 18:21

Have you fine folks heard about the recorded and live and filmed work of Jeff Beck ? Maybe a refresher course is in order may I humbly suggest .

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: May 23, 2019 00:53

kovach
Strat.

You can make a Strat sound like a Les Paul, but you can't make a Les Paul sound like a Strat.

You can`t make a Strat sound like a Les Paul. And vice versa, of course. That`s why many guitarplayers want both...

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: May 23, 2019 01:26

audun-eg
kovach
Strat.

You can make a Strat sound like a Les Paul, but you can't make a Les Paul sound like a Strat.

You can`t make a Strat sound like a Les Paul. And vice versa, of course. That`s why many guitarplayers want both...

Some musicmans do the trick, almost.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: May 23, 2019 09:41

A Strat, Tele, and a LP are the only three guitars that you will ever need. They
are worth the $.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 23, 2019 10:39

TheflyingDutchman
audun-eg
kovach
Strat.

You can't make a Strat sound like a Les Paul...but you can quite easily boost & fatten up the sound so that it will usefully serve where you would traditionally require that more "muscular" LP response.

Getting a Les Paul to do a Strat's job is not quite so easy ...and that I think is what Kovach was getting at .

[Though a responsive Les Paul with good PAF like pickups can deliver a spankier & more articulate sound than many folks would believe ...and some folks think the volume control on a guitar is just an ornament.winking smiley]

[Edited again for dyslexic fingers ...or are they my toes ? that might explain a lot actually ]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-23 10:52 by Spud.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 23, 2019 18:09

waterrats
GasLightStreet

That's one beautiful looking guitar!

It's the typical three piece. They made him one in 2000 that was a bit better.

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: May 23, 2019 19:48

GasLightStreet

[www.guitarhangar.com]

[ricktedesco.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-23 19:53 by LiveAtHidepark.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 24, 2019 00:08

My newest baby:

Guitar

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-24 00:10 by kovach.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: May 24, 2019 00:16

kovach
My newest baby:

Guitar
That is a lovely strat kovach! Give us the info.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: May 24, 2019 00:40

Spud
TheflyingDutchman
audun-eg
kovach
Strat.

You can't make a Strat sound like a Les Paul...but you can quite easily boost & fatten up the sound so that it will usefully serve where you would traditionally require that more "muscular" LP response.

Getting a Les Paul to do a Strat's job is not quite so easy ...and that I think is what Kovach was getting at .

[Though a responsive Les Paul with good PAF like pickups can deliver a spankier & more articulate sound than many folks would believe ...and some folks think the volume control on a guitar is just an ornament.winking smiley]

[Edited again for dyslexic fingers ...or are they my toes ? that might explain a lot actually ]

I agree. It`s not unusual to have a humbucker in a Strat, and that will make it easy to come quite near an LP sound. Especially with modern digital amp/sound simulation options.
What makes a «Strat sound» is typically the the three single coil pickups configuration. How many Les Pauls with that config? That would be none except for maybe a few rarities that nobody wants anyway.

Then there’s the construction of those guitars that differs in a lot of ways. Everything from wood to hardware, scale, bolt on/setneck and so on that may not shine through when listening, but really means a lot to the player and how he/she interacts with the instrument.

For me, the one is not better than the other in this matter. They`re different animals and both excellent in their own ways. And there are 100`s of variations of both the Strat and LP. (Though quite a few more Strats)

Same with Fender / Marshall amps. There´s not one Fender and one Marshall amp.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1915
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home