Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Fave live moment where they drop the 'act' & Lean in for real?
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 15, 2019 06:59

?
all things considered; they are very audience wary and experienced;
one of the most experienced working acts in the world at all levels
of media and clubs and halls and you know...if it's a big enough field
a quarter million will show up most anywhere....so....all that considered; they are pro's. their own cameramen are work comrades; they're gonna give em some
angles and make it easy to have a smooth show and all that.
but sometimes; (oh they choreograph the moments when mick goes hog wild for few seconds in mid prance; it's beautiful and BIGG for stadium and all that...
and Charlie IS the perfect stripper drummer; i watch him eagle eye Mick the whole time; pumping him up and hitting or driving with him; you see that on the 'you're not tool old charlie' version of adtl on youtube; i've posted it here once or twice...
but some of it might be obvious; when the sped up shit like crazy and sometimes it really worked; at the 73 shows variously...so i'll link one of those spin out rave ups when i get a chance. i don't know if this is a good thread topic it's sort of extemporaneous. also i think i listen to the 'golden stuff' especially , well all of them frankly, because i do feel, or 'imagine' i'm feeling the 'authenticity' that we sometimes talk about because the old blues guys were often poor and beat up and ripped off and died poor and beat up and ripped off at least somewhat; not all there were grand blues guys that lived a long time and got respect and all that....

but when was it for 'real' for you' any clip; or remembrance; when for any reasons; either they needed to come together to hear and were inspired truly;
or were far apart on purpose but something was brewing that one of em was sticking with cause the groove caught them; or when taylor or somebody else might have been given extra bars cause it was just blowing their own minds at one point. i think that's what i'm talking about.

if it's interesting to anyone; i always say here and to myself that i'm into music that's 'real' performance;
like beyond even the audio, we listen to a lot of bootlegs; i enjoy a lot of stuff that is not super production like exoms...

anyway.... when were those moments when they went beyond the stagecraft and talent and foundation chemistry and just went for it cause they could....?
and one of those moments it felt 'real' enough for you to really sign on as fan who respected their wild power?
and the true , maybe unguarded, soul in their effort?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-15 07:02 by hopkins.

Re: Fave live moment where they drop the 'act' & Lean in for real?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 15, 2019 07:49

Many of those moments throughout the years, and seems it's mostly when they're playing Midnight Rambler.
One occasion was at the free Staples Center show in '03 ( FREE) where I was given a ticket right on the rail of the B-stage in front of Keith.
Told this story before so will keep it short, but I was completely meserized and that particular performance possibly ranks as the single best experience I've ever had at a Stones show - and it was free!

One more quick example - Vredenburg, Utrecht, '03 (Vredenburg).
The entire day was a dream, and the show itself ranks among my top three favorites, but will single out That's How Strong My Love Is as one of the most phenomenal performances I've ever witnessed.
Standing front center on the rail directly in front of Mick, he gave 1,000% to those of us in attendance. And the way the tune slowly built up, ultimately resulting in an explosion of chaotic energy...enough said.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: May 15, 2019 12:19

Agreed; mostly during Rambler.

I experienced it at Twickenham in 2018. That unguarded quote from Come On In My Kitchen really did it for me. It showed that the Stones have a certain je ne sais quoi.

Date: May 15, 2019 12:50

Reallu good post by OP, because that is all that is left IMO.
More than anything it is when Jagger will let go. And either get lost in dancing, that is not these ridiculous choreographed moves, or when he actually sings.
For most of a show he has developed this tuneless mid-rangey chant, that barely wavers in pitch. Just enough to stay on key, and give a passing nod to the melody. It is Bernard who actually colors it.
But I have seen "Midnight Rambler" several times where Jagger lets himself go. A

Another HUGE part of where Jagger gets lost in the moment and music is when he blows that harp. He must be one of the baddest blowers on planet.

That time they did "Thats how strong my love is" in Roseland (?) was incredible.

Ron Wood has kind of become the best Stone. You can fin him every once in a while get wild in a solo. Usually when he starts jumping up and down.

I don't think Jagger or the band have lost the magic at all. I think it is those damn stadium shows that are killing that band's soul. Performing a massive stadium show at 70 - there absolutely must be major concessions that the artists makes. With each passing year they will make more 'concessions' for stamina's sake. They're rescheduling the US tour. Crazy.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 15, 2019 14:44

Favorite lean in moment for me was Vegas in '13 when Mick Taylor went to his knees during Midnight Rambler then Keith and Ronnie followed. For several minutes they were all "leaning in" while Jagger tried to reign it in.

This is partially why I (mostly) enjoy guest appearances at the shows.
Wether it's Dave Grohl lighting it up on Bitch or someone I had never heard of, James Bay at Twickenham, when it works well it almost forces some "drop the act" moments.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: May 15, 2019 14:50

Midnight Rambler reminds me of the moments when Neil Young, mostly with Crazy Horse, sometimes with POTR, really goes for it on Cortez The Killer, or Like A Hurricane, or Cowgirl In The Sand.

Dylan can do it every once in a while, but his touring has reached saturation point.

Posted by: thegroove ()
Date: May 15, 2019 16:50

1969 Chicago Mick and Keith step up for 2 acoustic tunes. Prodigal Son and You Got To Move.So natural was their approach like they had written these songs.2013 Chicago Midnight Rambler with M.Taylor.Awesome.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 15, 2019 16:58

Sounds like Jagger hit one of those "real" moments while singing I Got The Blues at Fonda Theatre in 2015.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 15, 2019 17:01

Palace Revolution 2000
Reallu good post by OP, because that is all that is left IMO.
More than anything it is when Jagger will let go. And either get lost in dancing, that is not these ridiculous choreographed moves, or when he actually sings.
For most of a show he has developed this tuneless mid-rangey chant, that barely wavers in pitch. Just enough to stay on key, and give a passing nod to the melody. It is Bernard who actually colors it.
But I have seen "Midnight Rambler" several times where Jagger lets himself go. A

Another HUGE part of where Jagger gets lost in the moment and music is when he blows that harp. He must be one of the baddest blowers on planet.

That time they did "Thats how strong my love is" in Roseland (?) was incredible.

Ron Wood has kind of become the best Stone. You can fin him every once in a while get wild in a solo. Usually when he starts jumping up and down.

I don't think Jagger or the band have lost the magic at all. I think it is those damn stadium shows that are killing that band's soul. Performing a massive stadium show at 70 - there absolutely must be major concessions that the artists makes. With each passing year they will make more 'concessions' for stamina's sake. They're rescheduling the US tour. Crazy.
It's a shame that Jagger sings/shouts his way through most songs in such a controlled, bloodless manner, because he still has all his range and power unlike a lot of his contemporaries.

Of course he was never a wailer like Plant or Daltrey, so he had less of a voice to lose than those guys, but it's still impressive, and the fact that he rarely showcases it live is a shame.

But again, I'm sure it comes down to him being cautious and not wanting to blow his voice out, which I also get at his age.

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: May 15, 2019 17:33

I always pay close attention during It's Only Rock 'n' Roll... just to see if Mick wants to get raunchy when he bets she thinks she's the only woman in town...

And in Chicago on 3rd June, 2013, he did! My bud was yappin' away with some lady sittin' next to us, but I was focused...

Now if someone could link it, I'm systems-challenged...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 15, 2019 17:44

On the Totally Stripped show (London, I think), they really get into a zone at the end of "I Go Wild" - after the drum break....

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 15, 2019 19:03

Seen the Stones 42 times and they've played Midnight Rambler on many of those occasions.

But the version from the 1st show at London Stadium on May 22 2018 was truly transcendental. There was a point in the song for about 2 minutes where it went off into unknown territory and the band just rolled with it.

From the midway instrumental section up to where Mick hollahs,'Well did you hear about the Midnight....' it was if the band members had lost their individual identities and literally become the sum of their parts.

It's the most organic of all the Stones songs and I've often thought of the tune like a fine sports car that gets taken out on the open road and where the band get to open the cylinders and let fly.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 15, 2019 19:12

Street Fighting Man, KC, 2015.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: May 16, 2019 00:43

midnight rambler stuttgart and warsaw 2018. from the end of the bridge onwards, its like they were performing this for the first time.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: May 16, 2019 01:09

Mick during Stray Cat Blues at the Wiltern in 2002...in the verse after the instrumental break, shouting "Why don't you bring her upstairs?! If she's so wild she can join in too!" Unreal and the crowd really took notice.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 16, 2019 01:18

Is it just me or did we see some sparks fly in this one? (Whip, 2002, MSG):
[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 16, 2019 01:25

She was hot from shine the light Love it when Lisa realizes just how good they are grooving

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 16, 2019 15:53

For me there are moments like these in nearly every show.

They're the other side of the same coin... and are more than fair recompense for the momentary screw ups and the odd "train-wreck" .winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-16 15:57 by Spud.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 16, 2019 16:33

‘Mick looked better than ever as he showed off his hunky physique in a tight white shirt paired with black joggers and white trainers.’

grinning smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 16, 2019 17:35

Of all the times I've seen them live, this is one of the most unforgettable moments I've ever witnessed: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 16, 2019 17:45

Cristiano Radtke
Of all the times I've seen them live, this is one of the most unforgettable moments I've ever witnessed: [www.youtube.com]

Wow!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 16, 2019 18:00

Although I do get what hopkins means by it, for me the term 'real' is not the one to describe live performances. It's all 'real' no matter what they do.

Subjectively speaking, for me seeing the Stones has always been 'unreal' as an experience. The boring doctrine of realism and common sense says that all of that just shouldn't happen, but, for god's sake, it does. And when my reflection starts to notice some other differences, I cannot think, seeing some stadium full of people of whatever age and the band on stage, all going crazy, nothing else than 'this is surreal'...

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-16 18:03 by Doxa.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 16, 2019 18:18

Doxa
Although I do get what hopkins means by it, for me the term 'real' is not the one to describe live performances. It's all 'real' no matter what they do.

Subjectively speaking, for me seeing the Stones has always been 'unreal' as an experience. The boring doctrine of realism and common sense says that all of that just shouldn't happen, but, for god's sake, it does. And when my reflection starts to notice some other differences, I cannot think, seeing some stadium full of people of whatever age and the band on stage, all going crazy, nothing else than 'this is surreal'...

- Doxa

Just that

thumbs up The Rolling Stones ....The most wonderful shambles in the world !

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 16, 2019 18:57

How do I get hands on real? $35k?
Kidding kidding tour fever
(and not enough cash)

Spot on paragraph Doxa.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 16, 2019 19:23

Cristiano Radtke

True. You couldn't ask for a better audience than that. I only wish Keith's performance was up to par with it...

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: May 17, 2019 09:36

Zürich 2014, when during Midnight Rambler Mick Tayloer broke a guitar string, gave his guitar to a guitar tech and played "air" guitar for several minutes ;-)

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: May 17, 2019 09:38

Munich, Olympiahalle 2003: Love In Vain with Ronnie playing his heart out on slide guitar.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 17, 2019 10:11

TKinOH
I always pay close attention during It's Only Rock 'n' Roll... just to see if Mick wants to get raunchy when he bets she thinks she's the only woman in town...

And in Chicago on 3rd June, 2013, he did! My bud was yappin' away with some lady sittin' next to us, but I was focused...

Now if someone could link it, I'm systems-challenged...

[youtu.be]

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 17, 2019 11:04

Too many to mention, I Go Wild at Brixton yeah that is one hell of a moment, it is like they are all floating on Superpowers... Another would be Hand Of Fate from Cirkus in 2003 (realizing they just started to play my favourite gem) and when, (having sung the original lyrics during the 2 previous large and medium shows) he finally changed it from "...only woman in Town..." to "...only p**sy in Stockholm.." I love it when one can relate to the lyrics even to a geographical extent. Then I must mention Oh No Not You Again in Paris 2006, Keith's Berry riffs just plowing through the stands, so powerful and just in-yer-face like he is let loose with his 355 just having fun, Bless. Then all 8 minutes of Just My Imagination from the 81-82 tour.

Date: May 17, 2019 15:16

Cristiano Radtke

Incredible. The Argentinian rockers are keeping rock;n roll alive. They must know that they have a reputation to sustain by now. At 2:30 when they really get going it is total goose bumps.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1766
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home