Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: OT: Eurovision Song Contest...
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 21, 2019 09:46

I don't have any issue with Eurovision as a big fun festival .
[In recent years it's almost turned into a kind of giant Euro Gay Pride event grinning smiley]

...but why continue to pretend that it's any kind of valid competition ?

Get rid of the voting and there'd be more time for dancing .

As a big party it's fine ...but that should be all it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-21 10:21 by Spud.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 21, 2019 11:38

I do agree Spud that it has become too gay. And I think it's to its detriment. But what can you do? You can't criticize gay people nowadays.
Personally, I think they should stick to the Pride thing instead of infiltrating the ESC...

Date: May 21, 2019 11:53

I'm not saying its "too gay" ... Gay's fine...but the competition part of it is complete nonsense .

Date: May 21, 2019 12:03

Okey, Spud. But my point is that it hasn't always been this bad. Before, say the mid-nineties, it was actually better. Sure, some crap then also. But not all crap...

And the gay movement is partly to blame for this. They turned it into dragshow somewhat. It wasn't like that in the sixties and seventies.
I know you can't say something like this because it isn't pc. But I don't care about being pc all the time...

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: May 21, 2019 13:10

This (not very sharp) pic is from a public viewing in Tel Aviv. At bottom left of it I noted that black truck labelled "Crush" with a kind of Stones tongue next to it.

Anyone knows what it's all about?

d.f

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 21, 2019 13:21

Stoneage
...it has become too gay.

..less gay and you'll feel more comfortable enjoying this crap event ?
Those gays...infiltring everything...everywhere...

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 21, 2019 13:36

Looks like a food truck to me.

Date: May 21, 2019 13:38

shortfatfanny
Stoneage
...it has become too gay.

..less gay and you'll feel more comfortable enjoying this crap event ?
Those gays...infiltring everything...everywhere...

I think there is a difference in attitude here. You seem to think that the ESC is nothing but crap. And has always been. From that perspective nothing matters. I do not share that one-sided perspective.
I actually think there have been some good songs throughout the years. Especially in the past. Therefore I do not appreciate the ESC turning into dragshow and hbtq propaganda
(that does not imply that I have anything against gay people. I don't). For you it doesn't matter since you never liked it anyway.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 21, 2019 14:04

Date: May 21, 2019 14:39

Ha ha, SFF! That tops it!

Date: May 21, 2019 15:00

If a country with no current political issues and no axes to grind were to enter the Teletubbies, with a nice funny dance and a song about Tubby Custard...

...they'd likely win or come very close.

By the same token if a troubled country, with a bad press and political enemies, were to enter a song worthy of Gershwin ...they'd get nowhere .

That's the problem with the "Song Contest" part of it.

Half the votes are either politically driven, based on comedy/novelty value or both.

Some judges I'm sure base their votes wholly on a sound & unbiased appreciation of music ...but not many.

The winner is invariably a nation with a half way hummable song and who hasn't upset anybody lately.

[BTW . That song which won isn't half bad...but it's lifted straight from something I've heard before & can't quite bring to mind as I type ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-21 15:02 by Spud.

Date: May 21, 2019 15:20

Of course, Spud. With a contest like this one you will always have some sort of problems. Like Greece always giving Cyprus 12 points. And vice versa. It can't be avoided.
My point is that the ESC was less crappy before. Before they expanded it to 51 countries. But I'll leave this now to someone else to defend... It doesn't matter what I say anyway.
It's like politics. Que sera, sera. And if crap is the demanded goods - Pile it up, pile it up high...

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: May 21, 2019 19:23

Fun fact: Over 100 European LGBTQ organizations voted to boycott of this year's event.

Date: May 21, 2019 19:48

Another fun fact: Those LGBTQ organizations will never be able to boycott a ESC or Pride festival held in Palestine or any other Muslim theocracy. Do you know why, Bagpipe?

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: May 22, 2019 11:31

Koen
Looks like a food truck to me.

That's right.

With regard to the truck owners, I only hope the Mick won't get to know that someone captured or imitated their tongue. PS: I believe this version/colouring of tongue is not one ever officially released by the Stones.

d.f

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 22, 2019 12:25

dead.flowers

PS: I believe this version/colouring of tongue is not one ever officially released by the Stones.

It doesn't matter if it was ever officially released by the Stones (because it's a protected Trademark) - this 'Tongue&Lips-Logo' demanded in August 2013 a $315,000 settlement and a $25,500 fine: [iorr.org] .

And the representation of the RS-Tongue on the German Wikipedia-page was removed on 31-Dec-2018 due to Copyright-infringement (missing approval) - Wikipedia .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-22 12:55 by Irix.

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: May 22, 2019 19:26

Let's hope that in future Eurovision will be held in a countries where the rights and privileges awarded to its citizens are not dependent on their ethnic/religious category.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 22, 2019 22:25

For comparison: the Live-Broadcast of the ESC 2019 in full length [4h:10m, HD, 7.1 GB]: German ARD , Swiss SRF (both probably geo-blocked). Performance of Madonna at Pos. 2h:55m.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: May 23, 2019 14:38

The U.K., (already bottom), has just had its score lowered by five points.

[www.msn.com]

Date: May 23, 2019 14:44

The UK had a good entry. The singer failed to deliver it though. Since the UK is in the "top 5" they will be in the final next year also.

Date: May 23, 2019 14:50

By the way, I think Mr Bagpipe is trolling me in this thread. I should have known.. Guess I'm an easy victim...

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1914
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home