Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: Eurovision Song Contest...
Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: May 15, 2019 22:30

Rockman
Is it over yet ….. ????????????

yes ... and in a stunning upset the palestinian representative won!

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: May 16, 2019 00:36

its been crap for decades.

the standard of songs has been a joke for decades.

the political voting has made it a rigged tournament, britain has suffered badly from this, seems most of europe hates us, thats gratitude for you, especially as we were fighting nazi germany on our own for a while, and we open our borders and welcome everyone in. not meaning to get political but the voting for the euro contest has been nothing but a political pot, if it were choosing songs on merit and most of the songs were good then it might be worth watching, but its had no credibility for a long time, its a waste of oxygen.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 16, 2019 00:58

Okey, to be fair. It hasn't always been crap. Up until the mid nineties there were always a couple of good songs competing every year. The deterioration started with:

- When the live orchestra was replaced by playback (1999).
- When it went from 25 countries (on average) to 51.
- When they abandoned the schlager/pop/chanson format

To restore it they should:

- Go back to the original format (the one before circa 1995)...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-16 01:05 by Stoneage.

Date: May 16, 2019 01:30

This is a good panorama of top three songs from 1956 to 2018 for anyone interested.
The 50's and 60's stands out as very good ESC decades...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 16, 2019 05:57

tomcasagranda
For some unknown reason I liked the bargain-basement Finnish Kiss act, Lordi, when they won it. It summed up that people were more interested in spectacle than in actual music. It's, to quote Shakespeare, "Caviar to the general".

Were they the metal band dressed (in my memory, at least) as giant insects? I loved them. grinning smiley

Back when I lived in the UK and Terry Wogan was the TV host, Eurovision was unmissable, for all the wrong reasons. The year the Finnish band won was the only time I've seen it since then.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 16, 2019 12:45

Surely these pages could have been spared as a Eurovision free zone ? grinning smiley

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 16, 2019 12:59

Spud
Surely these pages could have been spared as a Eurovision free zone ? grinning smiley

We are a broad church.

Date: May 16, 2019 13:06

Better to talk about something that happens rather than something that doesn't? Like new Rolling Stones studio albums for instance...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 16, 2019 17:05

Stoneage
Better to talk about something that happens rather than something that doesn't? Like new Rolling Stones studio albums for instance...

If the alternative is European 'whatever crap it is' I prefer suicide.

- Doxa

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 16, 2019 17:21

LazarusSmith
Rockman
Is it over yet ….. ?

With a cover of the Ramones song "Rockets To Russia" changed to "Rockets to Israel"

Date: May 16, 2019 17:24

Are there only two alternatives? "Crap" or The Rolling Stones? Suicide? Isn't that rather drastic? You seem to be very judgmental these days, Doxa.

Date: May 16, 2019 17:28

dcba
LazarusSmith
Rockman
Is it over yet ….. ?

With a cover of the Ramones song "Rockets To Russia" changed to "Rockets to Israel"

I don't know if anti-semitism is allowed on this forum. I don't think so, but I'll let the moderator decide.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 16, 2019 17:44

Stoneage
Are there only two alternatives? "Crap" or The Rolling Stones? Suicide? Isn't that rather drastic? You seem to be very judgmental these days, Doxa.

Yeah, I prefer discussing the Rolling Stones but between The Stones and European 'whatever crap' there is a huge grey area... but I guess we should analysize next some talent show, Voice of Sweden or whatever, if something is needed to discuss about in the supposed lack of Stones activities... (by the way, The Stones just announced a tour in America).

Not that I have anything against discussing whatever people like to do, but in my world the European 'whatever crap it is' doesn't belong to the same page as The Rolling Stones. Just my own opinion.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-16 17:48 by Doxa.

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: May 16, 2019 19:32

Stoneage
dcba
LazarusSmith
Rockman
Is it over yet ….. ?

I don't know if anti-semitism is allowed on this forum. I don't think so, but I'll let the moderator decide.
I think it was a Gap Band cover: “You Dropped a Bomb on Me, Bibi”

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 16, 2019 21:31

Stoneage

I don't know if anti-semitism is allowed on this forum.

You got the wrong suspect. My post was an attempt at making humour out of a pretty sad and dreadful situation.
And it's a fact Hamas attacked Israel hoping Tel Aviv would not retaliate because of the upcoming Eurovision contest (Hamas was wrong).

Lastly let me wish you "Shana Tova" with a 6-month advance! winking smiley

Date: May 16, 2019 21:48

Okey, I hear you dcba. Sorry. Whether one should joke about bombs falling over Israel is another matter. Since it's a reality there. But I'll let people decide that for themselves.

Date: May 17, 2019 02:32

What an embarrassing flop the whole thing has been.

Hundreds of European artists publicly refusing to participate, hotels not fully booked, few tourists arriving, alternative events staged elsewhere in the world, and most telling of all: 1000’s of tickets not sold. In some cases 1/2 the venue not sold. And that’s according to the Israeli press.

As an expensive PR stunt for the Netanyahu government it failed badly

Date: May 17, 2019 03:17

Well, Mr Bagpipe. The arena looked quite sold out to me. A few empty chairs here and there maybe. But it's mainly a tv-event. I think quite a few will watch the final on Saturday with a guest appearance from Madonna.
Let's wait and see. But you seem to have doomed it on beforehand. The presenters are less cheesy than they use to be. And Bar Refaeli is stunningly beautiful. A glance at her is better than any song.
Israel is doing good as a host nation I say. Good advertising for the beautiful country.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-17 06:43 by Stoneage.

Date: May 18, 2019 13:06

That Bar Refaeli girl was a surprise to me. Not only is she beautiful, she has humor and wit too. I didn't know she was Israeli.
From now on she's my favorite top model. A man must be allowed his daydreams...

Predictions for tonight? I sure hope we don't win. Although Andreas Lundvik is a very nice and humble man.
Why not a third place? Good luck to every other nation!

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 18, 2019 15:33

Stoneage
dcba
LazarusSmith
Rockman
Is it over yet ….. ?

Criticising a country is not anti-semitism, even when that country is Israel. I strongly disagree with governments in Israel, Saudi Arabia and North Korea, but that doesn't make me anti-semitic, anti-semitic (see what I did there?) or anti-korean. Having said that, however, promoting the launching of rockets against countries (*any* country, beit Israel, North-Korea, Iran, or the Netherlands) I would think wrong, both in real life, as in the fantasy world of a Rolling Stones forum.
Although, actually, the wording is "Rockets to..." not "Rockets on...", in which case it's actually just stating the truth: the western world is continuously selling loads of rockets to various countries in the Middle East.

On topic, though: the "European" songfestival, who won?

Date: May 18, 2019 16:39

Final tonight, matxil smiling smiley

Date: May 18, 2019 21:09

FYI - There’s an alternative streaming music show: @watchglobalvison “Dare to Dream Together”

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-18 22:23 by Angus MacBagpipe.

Date: May 19, 2019 00:50

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-19 10:01 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: May 19, 2019 01:07

Wow! Madonna was terrible!
On Like a prayer she sounded realy bad and the other one was playback, wasn't it?

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: May 19, 2019 01:45

Too many of theses "artists" cannot really sing... Terrible.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: May 19, 2019 02:05

Unbelievable! We won! The Netherlands rule!

Oh! No! I forgot it's just the Eurovision Song Contest, not the Champions League!eye rolling smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 19, 2019 02:15

Fun that my country won after 40 more years...didn't watched the song contest for years...I don't think I will watched it the again.

Date: May 19, 2019 02:29

Congrats to Les Pays-Bas! A well deserved win. Personally, I think the winning song was a bit bland. But that doesn't matter. The Netherlands won.
And congrats to Israel. You were a good host. I wonder if the Icelandic team will be welcomed home though...

Date: May 19, 2019 02:32

Ps. Where did that Geritol thread go? I was looking for it but didn't find it...Ds

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: May 19, 2019 02:32

Congrats to the sensible Dutch guy. (And they should have won a few years ago with the Common Linnets). I'm surprised North Macedonia, Azerbaijan, and especially Australia didn't do better. Eurovision really is a blast.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1249
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home