Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: Eurovision Song Contest...
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 14, 2019 22:52

The 64th edition apparently. This year in Tel Aviv, Israel. This contest is still very big in parts of Europe and Israel. Semi-finals today and on Thursday and final on Saturday.
Some say the ESC is the only part of EU that is really popular...

My interest in the ESC has faded through the years. So has the quality of the event also, I'm afraid. Anyway, there have been some really good songs in the ESC through the years.
Especially in the sixties and seventies. What do you think about the ESC? Do you watch it still? Or do you have some favorites from the past?

Re: OT: Eurovision Song Contest...
Date: May 14, 2019 23:02

Watching as we speak smiling smiley

Crap, as usual, but good fun just the same.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: May 14, 2019 23:14

I`ve been following it only a couple of times in recent years. This year I`ve decided not to follow it.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 14, 2019 23:15

Stoneage

Anyway, there have been some really good songs in the ESC through the years.

Waterloo by ABBA in 1974 ....

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: May 14, 2019 23:18

it's not the fun it used to be because it isn't as trashy as it used to be (due to semi finals and all this similar sounding ethno pop/dance chorography etc)

just think of this highlight from the Netherlands from 2010:
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-14 23:21 by slewan.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: May 15, 2019 00:33

It's become horrible and extremely gay

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: May 15, 2019 00:49

NilsHolgersson

Is it THIS extremely gay? Cuz if it is Im watchin!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 15, 2019 01:31

I've lost interest 20 or more years ago.............it's looks more like a gay parade (as one one mentioned before) .......everyone his thing............but it has nothing to do with music....I love the days when a girl hit the staged with a guitar and sing her song.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 15, 2019 01:53

wake me when its over …………

ROCKMAN

Date: May 15, 2019 01:57

You remind me, Rockman. Australia is part of Europe too, for some reason...

Date: May 15, 2019 01:58

NilsHolgersson

Sure, but if you look closely there are a lot of really beautiful women there also.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: May 15, 2019 02:01

im confused is gay bad on this website

Date: May 15, 2019 02:21

Believe me or not - there are some really good ESC songs through the years. It's not all kitsch (made think of Ronnie's art, I'm sorry...). It was better before the extension with East Europe countries and Euro Asian dito.
And it went for the worse when the live orchestra was thrown out. Nowadays, it's almost unwatchable. I agree with that. But millions watch it still on TV. It's very lavish. The stage design and stage light design is very advanced.

I will show you some favorites through the years and starts with this one. The French contribution from 1991: Amina with "C'est le dernier qui a parlé qui a raison".
Oddly enough she came second behind a poorer contribution (Carola, Sweden). Beautiful woman with grace and stage presence:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 15, 2019 02:34

LazarusSmith
NilsHolgersson

Is it THIS extremely gay? Cuz if it is Im watchin!

[www.youtube.com]

That's rock 'n roll

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 15, 2019 02:40

LazarusSmith

I sure hope not . . . I'm kind of shocked, tbh.

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: May 15, 2019 04:51

According to what I've read the Eurovision thing has been a big flop this year compared to other years.

Lots of tickets not sold, lots of artists not wanting to attend, not many tourists showing up, hotels not fully booked...

Date: May 15, 2019 07:45

Angus MacBagpipe
According to what I've read the Eurovision thing has been a big flop this year compared to other years.

Lots of tickets not sold, lots of artists not wanting to attend, not many tourists showing up, hotels not fully booked...

Flop? There's that conflict in Gaza, you know...

Let's see how the final on Saturday goes.

PS: Iceland was pretty fresh. A BDSM-act! grinning smiley

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: May 15, 2019 10:05

I watch it every year. It sort of exists in its own micro climate not particularly reflecting either the current pop scene or any previous one and yet there's always something to enjoy. I thought Iceland were very good last night. Australia really have the knack of Euro success and will do well again this year and I really liked the Polish entry, (very traditional Slavic feel), which didn't get through to the final. I am looking forward to Madonna doing the interval act on Saturday.

(I can just imagine the rolled eyes of some of this forum!).

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 15, 2019 10:35

LazarusSmith

No, it isn't. But this forum is like the rest of the world. Inevitably, you will find people saying awful things. In general, politics and outright discrimination are forbidden on this forum and there is a moderator who makes sure the worst things get filtered out. But sometimes some things slip through. Ignoring is the best option.

On topic: I haven't looked at the songfestival for years and I certainly won't look this year, for political reasons which don't belong on this forum.
The last time a really good song was done on the festival was 1974 (I think), with "Waterloo" by ABBA. It used to be fun, giving points to the various countries. I think the biggest mistake was letting all countries sing in English instead of their own languages.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-15 10:37 by matxil.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 15, 2019 10:46

Not wanting to appear to be political,but how does Israel manage to host a EURO event.
Presumably, Iran, Iraq etc are all eligible to enter?
Could in time they join the EC ?
Or even, more importantly, become eligible for Euro football championships?

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: May 15, 2019 11:20

NilsHolgersson

Uh excuse me, but welcome to the 21st century !

I'm not gay, but I have a lot of friends and business colleagues that are gay. You're on a Stones forum, yet you've never heard the lyrics to When The Whip Comes Down I wonder ??

Date: May 15, 2019 11:58

matxil
LazarusSmith

No, it isn't. But this forum is like the rest of the world. Inevitably, you will find people saying awful things. In general, politics and outright discrimination are forbidden on this forum and there is a moderator who makes sure the worst things get filtered out. But sometimes some things slip through. Ignoring is the best option.

On topic: I haven't looked at the songfestival for years and I certainly won't look this year, for political reasons which don't belong on this forum.
The last time a really good song was done on the festival was 1974 (I think), with "Waterloo" by ABBA. It used to be fun, giving points to the various countries. I think the biggest mistake was letting all countries sing in English instead of their own languages.

The language trend is now reversed. About half of the songs yesterday were performed in the artist's original language.

And I thought Mathijs's friends with Douwe Bob had the last very good song a couple of years ago smiling smiley

Date: May 15, 2019 12:34

jlowe
Not wanting to appear to be political,but how does Israel manage to host a EURO event.

Well Australia is there

Date: May 15, 2019 12:35

jlowe

And they are in Euro football championships

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: May 15, 2019 12:36

That's all high-polish crap. The music's not more than a frame for self-exposers, and the show itself's a completely commercial event.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 15, 2019 12:45

We call it "Melodi Grand Prix" in Norway for some historic reason. I used to watch it ages ago. The past 10-15 years I haven't really bothered. It takes forever, and the music means nothing to me. Last night I was bored, and while switching channels I saw three persons on long stilts singing and dancing, I think it was the entry from Australia. Just the fact that Israel, Australia and many other non-European countries are in there, in an Eurovision Song Contest, makes no sense, but fine with me. People who love it may enjoy it.

Bjornulf

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: May 15, 2019 14:53

For some unknown reason I liked the bargain-basement Finnish Kiss act, Lordi, when they won it. It summed up that people were more interested in spectacle than in actual music. It's, to quote Shakespeare, "Caviar to the general".

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 15, 2019 16:31

NilsHolgersson

For some reason the gay people and all the sexual minorities have taken this show as their thing. All around Europe. I don't know when that happened, I get to know that some ten or so years ago. That's the only aspect I find great and interesting in that spectacle. Actually the only time I saw the show recently was that of watching it with a huge crowd of gay people in one bar some years ago. And it was a helluva party. I recommend!

As far as it 'becoming horrible' I don't ever recall it being anything but horrble as far as the quality of music is concerned... Those who are following it 'seriously' with music-first attitude, should have some kind of reality-check... Life is just a coctail party in the street...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-15 16:32 by Doxa.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: May 15, 2019 17:00

Abba changed Eurovision, and not for the good, I`d say. Gone were all the torch singers that had won in previous years, nations like France, Monaco and Luxembourg. Norwegian Wigwam with "In Your Dreams" was a shock to me. Maybe they achieved position no. 13 in the final. A shock was also the Finnish winner Lordi in 2006. Nowadays it`s just a matter of behaving in front of the cameras, on and off stage, with very predictable behaviour.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 15, 2019 22:05

Is it over yet ….. ????????????

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1776
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home