Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith & Mick producing Papa John, info please?
Posted by: berlinjive ()
Date: May 13, 2019 03:06

I've been re-listening to John Phillips 70's output and really enjoying it! Wolfking Of L.A. (vinyl)_ Pay Pack & Follow (2001) _ Jack Of Diamonds (2007)_ Pussycat (2008).

I just noticed that the Pussycat CD, which is another version of PP&F, has been issued w/o Mick's vocals! Discogs/notes says: "On this release the same tracks appear in their previously unreleased original 1978 mixes."

Imagine "Your So Vain" w/o Mick. Well this is way worse because his PP&F vocals are part of the arrangment... and the Glimmer Twins produced the album, so makes even more sense.

May be Mick wants to distance himself from John's post-humus scandal? Also Pussycats cd says PP&F was done in 1976-77. But on the PP&F liners John says himself Pay Pack & Follow was on and off between 1973 and 1979.

To me it sounds like PP&F was the full picture, the mixes are great, and Mick's vocals are organic and fit. They (who?) say "the Pussycat CD is the lost original stereo mixes"... or is it maybe not the official '78 stereo mix-down finals... nothing was ever released. At any rate avoid Pussycat CD at all costs. It is a vastly inferior product.

Pay Pack & Follow has some very good music on it! It has a post-Stones Mick Taylor, Ron Wood, Keith on some ac. & slide guitar, great Mick vocals...

If anyone has any info/tracks i would appreciate it. ( I can't buy every book i would like to!)

Re: Keith & Mick producing Papa John, info please?
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 13, 2019 03:13

I hope not...their pizza sucks!

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 13, 2019 05:39

Yes they did; there are a couple of those cuts woven into the new album, "Tonk," I understand those beatniks have another hit on their hands.
Yep; they did a remake. Californa Weaving it's called now. yeh ron showed up too...
...I like the name; it's short and to the point.
if people can't get 'honky' just from the inference, i say screw 'em.
they're not real fans anyway.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 13, 2019 16:51

keefriff99
I hope not...their pizza sucks!
grinning smiley

Posted by: MAYO ()
Date: May 13, 2019 22:46

Is there a vinyl ? I would like to buy it

Posted by: berlinjive ()
Date: May 22, 2019 13:37

I searched both Honk and Californa Weaving and didn't get anything...?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1804
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home