Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Favorite Drum Parts in Stonesworld
Date: May 10, 2019 14:49

I was thinking a lot about drums this morning, and how hard it seems that Jagger worked on the song "Undercover". That made me think of good drum moments or sounds in their history.

- Overall sound I like Charlie on Ya-Ya's and Black & Blue especially.

- There is that one hit he does in "Where the Boys Go" after those rolls at 2:25.

- An for some reason I just love that snare that Jagger got going on "Gun" on GITD. They start fading it up at around 0:34.

Re: Favorite Drum Parts in Stonesworld
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 10, 2019 14:53

Palace Revolution 2000

- There is that one hit he does in "Where the Boys Go" after those rolls at 2:25.

-

I always liked that weird little bit of drumming too .
Glad its not just me .

It has to be said at some point I suppose that the intro to HTW remains to this day possibly the best drum sound on record.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 10, 2019 15:35

any recent live "Paint It Black'... Charlie lights the fire with the tom notes after Keith's great, eccentric intro

also the first time I heard the song, in 1966 or 67.. still remember those ominous drums.

Posted by: z ()
Date: May 10, 2019 15:47

I love Charlie's missing snare beats. There are few songs on which he simply skips one snare hit. I'm not sure if it's intentional, but it is very effective...
Wild Horses at 3:30 ; Miss You at 3:14...
There are more, can't remember right now...

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 10, 2019 15:49

duke richardson
any recent live "Paint It Black'... Charlie lights the fire with the tom notes after Keith's great, eccentric intro
quote]

Yes, that too !

I think I'm going to end up agreeing with everybody in this thread .

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 10, 2019 15:55

19th Nervous Breakdown - love the frantic ride pattern and thundering toms
I Go Wild - the song is a bit stock, but Charlie's drumming is fantastic
Thru and Thru
Loving Cup
Get Off My Cloud
Sway
Monkey Man

Posted by: WelshEdge1 ()
Date: May 10, 2019 15:56

Midnight Rambler!

2:24 onwards.

Date: May 10, 2019 15:56

z
I love Charlie's missing snare beats. There are few songs on which he simply skips one snare hit. I'm not sure if it's intentional, but it is very effective...

That is great stuff. Love the "Wild Horses" catch. I cant find the one in 'Miss You". There are several official versions anyway.
And you remind me of the whole lifting his stick off the Hi Hat deal. IMO that has been blown out of proportion. he doesn't do it all that often, and it didn;'t make a huge impact.

I've said this somewhere else already, but I think some of Charlie's best drumming is in their big 70's ballads. When he would totally follow Jagger and the lead melody's dynamics. "Memory Motel", "Let it Loose", "If you really want to be my friend". In modern era that has been lost. Songs like "Almost hear you sigh", "Already over me" or "Out of tears" could have been more dynamic.

Date: May 10, 2019 15:59

Thought of another one: the crashes in "Honest I Do". What is so great is that they come behind Jagger's note. "Please tell me you love..Crash...me".
So much of a great drum part also is the way it was recorded.
'Gimme Shelter", or "Street Fighting Man".
Or that funky sound in "Surprise Surprise".

I think I;m monopolizing this thread, but "How Can I Stop". And that is the one I wanted to point out. Here is actually a late era song, where there is still much freedom, an spur of the moment drumming recorded. Some of Charlie's good stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-10 16:07 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 10, 2019 16:17

Drumming on YaYa's.Still his best to me.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 10, 2019 16:40

He's in fine form on the GHS album.

Posted by: z ()
Date: May 10, 2019 17:00

Palace Revolution 2000
z

That is great stuff. Love the "Wild Horses" catch. I cant find the one in 'Miss You". There are several official versions anyway.
And you remind me of the whole lifting his stick off the Hi Hat deal. IMO that has been blown out of proportion. he doesn't do it all that often, and it didn;'t make a huge impact.

I've said this somewhere else already, but I think some of Charlie's best drumming is in their big 70's ballads. When he would totally follow Jagger and the lead melody's dynamics. "Memory Motel", "Let it Loose", "If you really want to be my friend". In modern era that has been lost. Songs like "Almost hear you sigh", "Already over me" or "Out of tears" could have been more dynamic.

The one in Miss You is at the beginning of the second half of the sax solo (5th bar).
The hi-hat thing - It has developed and evolved over the years, I think it made great impact in '72. We had a whole thread about it, Mathijs did a master's study on the topic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-10 17:21 by z.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 10, 2019 17:17

Palace Revolution 2000
z

Really? As far as I can see, that's ALL he does when it comes to his hi-hat/snare technique.

I've seen him hit the hi-hat in conjunction with his snare a handful of times since, say, 1989, but it's very very rare.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: May 10, 2019 17:25

To me the intro of Honky Tonk Women (Studio Version)
is one of the best drum sound ever recorded by any band.

Just my 2cts

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 10, 2019 17:42

One that I truly love is Turning to Gold, in particular when the "tamarro" snare enters at 2.41.

I don't know how to translate "tamarro" in English, but those who speak Italian know what I mean ...

C

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: May 10, 2019 17:42

When Charlie hits that first cymbal in the intro of She’s So Cold

Posted by: thegroove ()
Date: May 10, 2019 18:55

Monkey Man-Let It Bleed version

Date: May 10, 2019 19:09

keefriff99
Palace Revolution 2000
z

Really? As far as I can see, that's ALL he does when it comes to his hi-hat/snare technique.

I've seen him hit the hi-hat in conjunction with his snare a handful of times since, say, 1989, but it's very very rare.

I'm sure you right. In the late era I don't follow them as close anymore where I used to memorize every second of everything they did. And it's kind of a drag because every time I see them I ask myself "Why am I going around saying they're not as hot live as they used to be, because invariably they are."
But in '94 I was on the stage behind Charlie, and I watched him for most of the show, an he just was not doing the Hi Hat thing much.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 10, 2019 19:15

Phil Good
To me the intro of Honky Tonk Women (Studio Version)
is one of the best drum sound ever recorded by any band.

Just my 2cts

Yep. You got there before me.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: May 10, 2019 19:18

Palace Revolution 2000, I totally agree with every example you mentioned.
One song that I think has not been mentioned, is Confessin' The Blues. Archetypical Charlie Watts sound!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 10, 2019 19:21

He beats the hell out of that snare on Satisfaction.

Date: May 10, 2019 20:06

Love the bars where Charlie goes berzerk in Let Me Go.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: May 10, 2019 20:13

Mister Jimmy's outro on TD

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 10, 2019 20:27

Dance Little Sister from start to finish - perpetual nonstop perfection.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 10, 2019 20:31

That 5/4 section in Loving Cup

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: May 10, 2019 20:48

Monkey Man & Sympathy For The Devil (Ya Yas Version)

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: May 10, 2019 21:04

Short & Curlies.. Most folks on here seem to dislike the song, however it's one of my favorites off that album.

I enjoy every part on it, piano, guitar and drums (not a drummer so I'm curious if any drummers like/dislike or think it's simply average on this tune?)

And you can always distract yourself with this fun video if you really don't like the tune:

[youtu.be]

(added: at about 1:02 of this video version there's a quick drum moment I like, and then when it kicks in about 1:16)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-10 21:09 by snoopy2.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 10, 2019 21:11

Let it loose.

Posted by: thegroove ()
Date: May 10, 2019 21:12

Good Times-Out Of Our Heads

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: May 10, 2019 21:13

Cristiano Radtke
Let it loose.
thumbs up

Hey Cristiano! You're one of the ones I miss on Facebook since I quit, but hopefully will get to meet you on the tour?
-Matt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-10 21:14 by snoopy2.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1701
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home