Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Rolling Stones at Chess Exhibition
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 8, 2019 22:12

Posted by Larry Marion on Facebook today.

The Bob Bonis Archive is very excited to announce that we will be presenting a WORLD PREMIERE exhibition - THE ROLLING STONES IN CHICAGO, 1964 - celebrating the 55th Anniversary of the Rolling Stones 1st sessions at Chess Records - featuring over 50 photographs by Bob Bonis of the recording for the very first time at the world famous Chess Records studios in Chicago, June 10-11, 1964 plus photographs of Mick and Keith relaxing in the hotel room at the Palmer House from their second visit to Chess on November 10, 1964. There will also be historic memorabilia related to the Rolling Stones and the great city of Chicago. The exhibit will open on Wednesday, June 5th, 2019 at the Willie Dixon's Blues Heaven Foundation which occupies the hallowed ground at 2120 South Michigan Avenue. The purpose of the exhibition is raise funds to restore the studio back to a working recording facility. Please help spread the word and share this to your pages and groups! More details to follow!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Re: The Rolling Stones at Chess Exhibition
Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: May 8, 2019 22:39

i hope this will still be open for viewing around the dates of the show, whenever they are.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 9, 2019 03:05

I wonder if Bob was able to get any picks of Muddy painting the ceiling! smiling smiley

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: May 9, 2019 04:05

DGA35
I wonder if Bob was able to get any picks of Muddy painting the ceiling! smiling smiley

Fantasy. Therefore no photo's possible!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: fzv98d ()
Date: May 9, 2019 04:09

Thanks for posting this. I will definitely check out. I have two of Bob Bonis' photos. One of the Stones at Chess and one of the Beatles in Detroit.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: May 9, 2019 05:00

CindyC
i hope this will still be open for viewing around the dates of the show, whenever they are.

By God Cindy C, r u back??

plexi

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: May 9, 2019 05:01

Would like to know the end date of this exhibition.

plexi

Date: May 9, 2019 05:38

timbernardis
CindyC

By God Cindy C, r u back??

plexi

Yes -it's me! Congrats on your new grandchild!

Date: May 9, 2019 09:44

CaptainCorella
DGA35

What!? So you're saying Keith wasn't telling the truth? smiling smiley

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: May 9, 2019 10:37

... We already have 5/6 photos in the Bob Bonis book issued some years ago.. Including Ron Malo...

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: May 9, 2019 10:58

timbernardis

plexi

On display in the Blues Heaven Gallery until June 29th

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: May 9, 2019 16:53

This is something I will check out for sure. Thanks for the info! After the viewing I will head to Motor Row Brewing just a few blocks away. Great beer!

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: May 9, 2019 18:32

They should release a compilation CD if all the great Chess tracks and the couple of awesome outtakes!

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 9, 2019 18:38

Chessibixitionism.
anyone got tix?
bill had the idea but i think these people can pull it off

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: May 9, 2019 18:50

Lynd8
They should release a compilation CD if all the great Chess tracks and the couple of awesome outtakes!

Godfather did a release of the Chess sessions called "From 2120 To 1000" if you can find a copy

Date: May 10, 2019 00:58

DGA35
CaptainCorella
DGA35

Yes. His "recollection" is mistaken about this. My source is (genuinely) someone who was also present that day. Very explicit.

Even if you don't work from accounts of other present, all you need do is check out Muddy's status at that point in time (already huge), and the fact that he (Muddy) was always a very smart dresser (not unlike our own Charlie Watts) and someone who turns up to work in a 3 piece suit is hardly then going to "paint the ceiling".

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 10, 2019 01:01

Muddy also loved pink champagne ….. I mean how wilds that …..

ROCKMAN

Date: May 10, 2019 04:01

Rockman

Exactly. As we both know it's simply not possible to drink a pink champagne, paint a ceiling AND climb a stepladder at the same time!

Case closed.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 10, 2019 04:11

CaptainCorella
DGA35
CaptainCorella
DGA35

Yes. His "recollection" is mistaken about this. My source is (genuinely) someone who was also present that day. Very explicit.

Even if you don't work from accounts of other present, all you need do is check out Muddy's status at that point in time (already huge), and the fact that he (Muddy) was always a very smart dresser (not unlike our own Charlie Watts) and someone who turns up to work in a 3 piece suit is hardly then going to "paint the ceiling".

Buddy Guy calls BS on Keith in his autobiography.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 10, 2019 04:27

timbernardis

plexi
Will be showing until June 29th.
Looking forward to it!

[www.bluesheaven.com]
-$15 Admission supports the Blues Heaven Foundation.
Exhibit opens June 5th, 6 PM - 10 PM
On display in the Blues Heaven Gallery until June 29th
- After Grand Opening, exhibit is open Tues - Sat, 12 - 4 w/tour included in admission.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 10, 2019 06:40

ROCKMAN

Date: May 10, 2019 09:44

... 14 songs in 2 days...! What a time..!! 'n

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: May 10, 2019 21:19

Rockman

Sweet, don't remember seeing this.. Early product placement thinking on Coke's part lol

Date: May 11, 2019 00:01

I just love the sound quality of those Chess recordings, especially the crispness of Charlie's drums. Ron Malo did an excellent job. I wish the RCA sessions sounded as clear as the Chess sessions.

Date: May 11, 2019 00:05

Thanks a mighty big bottle you're holding there Mick. ;-)

Official Press Release - The Rolling Stones at Chess
Posted by: JJUDGE ()
Date: May 11, 2019 08:31

The Rolling Stones at Chess Exhibit - Official Press Release
Posted by: JJUDGE
Date: 2019-05-11 08:41

THE ROLLING STONES ARE COMING TO CHICAGO
CELEBRATING THE 55th ANNIVERSARY OF THE ROLLING STONES 1st RECORDING SESSIONS AT CHESS
Willie Dixon’s Blues Heaven Foundation presents
A WORLD PREMIERE EXHIBITION

THE ROLLING STONES AT CHESS
PREVIOUSLY UNSEEN PHOTOGRAPHS OF THE ROLLING STONES AND VINTAGE MEMORABILIA
OPENING June 5th at 6 PM, 2120 S. Michigan Ave. Chicago

The band has yet to officially announce when the U.S. tour shows will be rescheduled. However, if you live in or near Chicago, or will be visiting in June for the Chicago Blues Festival in early June,TIME IS ON YOUR SIDE!

Blues legend Willie Dixon’s Blues Heaven Foundation, which occupies the hallowed ground of the world famous Chess Records building, at 2120 South Michigan Avenue, in association with Bob Bonis Museum, Miami and Gallery Schuster, Berlin, are thrilled to announce
THE ROLLING STONES AT CHESS - a World Premiere Exhibition celebrating the 55th anniversary of the first time the Rolling Stones recorded at Chess.

The exhibition will feature over 50 photographs, many of them unpublished and never seen before by the public, from these historic recording sessions. There will also be photographs of the Stones at the Palmer House hotel on their second visit to Chicago in November 1964. Historic collector memorabilia will also be on display.

The photographs were taken by the late Bob Bonis, an accomplished photographer who also served as the U.S. Tour Manager for both The Rolling Stones and The Beatles from 1964 through 1966 beginning with both famous bands’ first ever tours of America.

Limited edition portfolios and prints of photographs will be available for sale, with a portion of the proceeds going to the Blues Heaven Foundation and their efforts to restore the recording studio in the historic Chess Records building.

The association between the Rolling Stones and the city of Chicago and Chess Records is one of the most important in the bands’ history and was the spark that connected its founding members, leading to the formation of the band in 1962. Rolling Stones founder Brian Jones was a Blues enthusiast who idolized Blues masters such as Muddy Waters, Howlin’ Wolf and other Blues masters from Chicago.

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, childhood friends, ran into each other on October 17, 1961 on the train platform in Dartford, England. Keith, carrying his guitar, noticed that Mick had some record albums under his arm, Rockin’ at the Hops by Chuck Berry, and The Best of Muddy Waters. Keith learned that Mick had mail-ordered these albums directly from Chicago’s Chess Records, as they were unavailable in England. Later they saw Brian Jones playing slide guitar (considered the first British guitarist to play this style of Blues) and they soon joined forces and the Rolling Stones were born.

During their first-ever tour of America, Phil Spector helped the Rolling Stones book to record at Chess on June 10 and 11, 1964 where they met several of their heroes, including Muddy Waters, who helped them carry their equipment into the studio, and Chuck Berry, who stopped by to eavesdrop on their recording session, giving them his stamp of approval.

On their second and third tours of America they returned to again record at Chess, on November 10, 1964 and in May of 1965. No photos of those later session are known to exist. Bob Bonis’ photographs from this first visit to Chess are among the only known to exist and will be displayed at the Blues Heaven Foundation for the entire month of June, 2019.

Larry Marion, curator of the Bob Bonis Archive, a renowned memorabilia expert, will be offering free appraisals of any vintage Rolling Stones, Blues or other memorabilia during this exhibition.

If you are unable to support the Blues Heaven Foundation by attending the exhibit, please consider making a tax deductible donation at BluesHeaven.com

For further information, contact:

Janine Judge
Director
Blues Heaven Foundation
[email protected]
312-808-1286
www.BluesHeaven.com

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-11 09:36 by JJUDGE.

Re: Official Press Release - The Rolling Stones at Chess
Date: May 11, 2019 10:49

More here: [iorr.org]

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 11, 2019 12:00

CaptainCorella
Rockman

Exactly. As we both know it's simply not possible to drink a pink champagne, paint a ceiling AND climb a stepladder at the same time!

Case closed.

yeh sure.
you probably thought it was simply not possible to skidoo up a tree too.
It's the Stones.
Case reopened.drinking smiley There will be depositions. Oh, you'll get your say.
But it's the D.A. that's gonna decide. brb...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-11 12:03 by hopkins.

Posted by: thegroove ()
Date: June 6, 2019 19:10

Last night was the premiere of the Stones 1964 Chess Studio photo exhibit and I was really impressed.These are mostly close up shots of the band working and relaxing in the studio.There are probably 50 black and white snapshots on display including pictures of Ron Malo Chess recording engineer Andrew Oldham and Ian Stewart on the keys.If you are a fan of early Stones youre going to dig it.Amazing photos by Bob Bonis.Next went upstairs in the building to the actual studio where Muddy and Chuck and Wolf and etc....recorded.Some nice artwork up there.Blues Heaven would like to restore the space to be able to record music again but the cost of vintage recording gear is outrageous right now.My hats off to the volunteers working at 2120 and thanks to the family of Willie Dixon and the curators of Bobs photos.If you are coming into Chicago for the concerts and have some time check this place out.

Date: June 8, 2019 12:44

jp.M
... We already have 5/6 photos in the Bob Bonis book issued some years ago.. Including Ron Malo...
....exactly 14 ...nearly all grand format..."The lost Rolling stones photographs" The Bob Bonis archive issued 2010

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2176
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home