Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: classic albums that pale after first listens
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 8, 2019 15:29

Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland. Actually didn't even care at first listen, gave it a second try after several years with same reaction.

Date: May 8, 2019 15:59

The whole Sgt Pepper notion has always bugged me. Because to me Pepper is my least favorite Beatles album; easily.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: May 8, 2019 16:06

Led Zeppelin IV I used to listen to a lot, but not anymore. The production is also surprisingly bad, with no real bottom end.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 8, 2019 16:44

Doxa
There are many classic albums that I have never much cared for/be thrilled about - such as SGT. PEPPER (or any Beatles album), PET SOUNDS, DARK SIDE OF THE MOON, The JOSHUA TREE, etc etc - and my stance hasn't dramatically changed. But of those ones, which really once meant very much for me, but the thrill is gone, I think the ones I have lately noticed has been NEVER MIND THE BULLOCKS (the same goes for almost any English-based punk rock) and most lately, TALK IS CHEAP (I guess the latter should be considered as a rather classical one at least within a Rolling Stones fanbase). But I think the case is more of that the the receiver has changed, not the quality of the music.

But as it usually is with music, the development goes generally other way around: one discovers that the things once not 'clicking' are doing that later as the years go by, while the stance to old loved ones doesn't really change. The result is that there is more great, enjoyable music in the world as one gets older... More to choose from. Of course, the amount of passion, at least directed towards certain individual things, doesn't increase, quite the opposite. I probably never had later that kind of passion towards music as I had at my teenagar years.. Especially when NEVER MIND THE BOLLOCKS ruled my little world..

- Doxa

Abbey Road, particularly side two is the real deal.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 8, 2019 17:49

Is B&L a classic album? Not even Achtung Baby it is imo, rather a sort of swan song of the best U2.

As many here, I never dig Sgt Pepper, listened a couple of times out of curiosity and "duty" but never liked it.

Astral Weeks does the opposite: got more and more shades and colours each listen so to me does not fit the thread theme

As much as I dig him and black music in general, Marvin Gaye's What's going on has not paled after first listens because it never really got me in the first place, so i am not sure it fits in here

smileys with beer

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: May 8, 2019 17:53

maumau
Is B&L a classic album?

What is "B & L" ?

Date: May 8, 2019 18:04

TornAndFried
maumau
Is B&L a classic album?

What is "B & L" ?

Blue & Lonesome

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 8, 2019 18:13

I think time matters here. As always. To go back a decade and listen to a "classic" is not the same as listening to it while it was new. If you understand what I'm talking about?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 8, 2019 18:36

If there were to be a winner of the topic.. it would almost have to go to "Dark Side of the Moon".
Whether you loved it or hated it at the time of it's release, nothing could ever compare to listening to it for the first time cool smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 8, 2019 18:37

His Majesty
classic albums that pale after first listens...

Hairball
Blue and Lonesome. Wouldn't say it's 'Blue and Boring' or 'Boring and Lonesome' as others have called it, but it didn't have any staying power - after all they were standard/simplistic covers.
Liked the first a couple of singles prior to full release and still do (especially live) but once I heard the whole album it was quite anticlimactic. After a week or two, shelved...the thrill was gone.

confused smiley

B&L is not a classic album.

Perhaps not yet, but in the context of the Stones' erratic/inferior catalogue from the last few decades, and the fact that it won a grammy, some day it might be considered a classic - definitely by some Stones fans.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: May 8, 2019 18:47

ROCKMAN, skip to "Love and Theft" a much more upbeat and varied record. I'm with you, the gloom of Time Out of Mind is hard. Great songs though.

T@3

Date: May 8, 2019 18:47

I loved Boston's first album when it was released. Proudly bought the vinyl as a 13 year old, and listened to it quite often.
Grew out of that phaze rather quickly though. and after a couple of months never wanted to hear that album as a whole ever again.
That said, I still enjoy some of those songs individually on the rare occasion when I hear them on the radio...I'd even go so far to say 'More than a Feeling' is a masterpiece!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 8, 2019 18:48

Hairball
His Majesty

Hairball
Blue and Lonesome. Wouldn't say it's 'Blue and Boring' or 'Boring and Lonesome' as others have called it, but it didn't have any staying power - after all they were standard/simplistic covers.
Liked the first a couple of singles prior to full release and still do (especially live) but once I heard the whole album it was quite anticlimactic. After a week or two, shelved...the thrill was gone.

confused smiley

Perhaps not yet, but in the context of the Stones' erratic/inferior catalogue from the last few decades, and the fact that it won a grammy, some day it might be considered a classic - definitely by some Stones fans.

Fuggedabboutit.....

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 8, 2019 19:12

I rarely overplay albums anymore to the point where I never want to hear it again. Crosseyed Heart maybe 20 times so far, B&L less. They still sound fairly fresh upon listening. One album I pulled out this week is Roxy Music's Stranded album. Holy bleep it's incredible!!!

Back in the 70's in one summer I remember Aerosmith's first album, Led Zep. II and Alice Cooper got many listens.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 8, 2019 19:49

His Majesty

Hairball

confused smiley

He's well aware, but it goes to the age old question..
"Is an IORR thread really an official thread if no one twists it to get a cheap shot in on the band?"
Similar to the "If a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it, does it still make a sound"?
Age old questions that remain unanswered cool smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 8, 2019 20:19

Hairball
I loved Boston's first album when it was released. Proudly bought the vinyl as a 13 year old, and listened to it quite often.
Grew out of that phaze rather quickly though. and after a couple of months never wanted to hear that album as a whole ever again.
That said, I still enjoy some of those songs individually on the rare occasion when I hear them on the radio...I'd even go so far to say 'More than a Feeling' is a masterpiece!

and the blueprint for "Smells Like Teen Spirit".

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: May 8, 2019 20:29

Elmo Lewis
Hairball

Yes, and I believe Kurt Cobain said so himself. Speaking of which, I loved Nirvana's Nevermind album when it first came out, but haven't listened to it in full since not long after it first came out.
Same with Guns and Roses' Appetite for Destruction. Not saying that any of these albums really 'pale', but you sort of grow out of them, and they become like time capsules of a certain period - Oasis' first album is another.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: May 8, 2019 20:45

I agree with you about the Nirvana, GnR & Oasis LPs. Albums I used to play but now rarely, if ever, revisit.

Metallica's self-titled, Badly Drawn Boy's The Hour Of Bewilderbeast and Air's Moon Safari are three more heavily lauded albums from a different time of my life that I seldom return to.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: May 9, 2019 00:11

Jesus. SGT Peppers. The White Album. Anything by REM.

Posted by: dgodkin ()
Date: May 9, 2019 02:06

time out of mind is dark no doubt, but great songs Dylan at the top of his game,

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 9, 2019 05:41

….. I cant listen dgod its totally depressing …..
I don't need that kinda stuff … I wanna be drivin' like a rockin' boy ….

ROCKMAN

Date: May 9, 2019 13:26

Hairball

"More than a feeling" sure it is!!!

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: May 9, 2019 15:11

micawber
Hairball

Exactly the same here!

I love B&L, but it lost it's luster with me, also. The best thing about their previous blues covers is that the Stones take the song and make it their own. Think "I Just Want to Make Love to You", "Love In Vain", "You Gotta Move", "Stop Breaking Down"; etc. B&L's covers are, for the most part, straight-forward renditions very loyal to the originals. It's enjoyable hearing the boys doing these songs, but, honestly, they pale in comparison when you go back and listen to the originals.

Date: May 9, 2019 15:56

Elmo Lewis
Hairball

Can you elaborate on that Elmo? Do you mean as far as dynamics? Really interesting notion.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: May 9, 2019 16:03

PR200 -can't you hear the similarity between the riffs in those two songs? It's pretty obvious to me.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: May 9, 2019 16:24

AlmostHearYouSigh
London Calling - always on greatest album ever lists. I bought it 15 years ago, played it and never opened the CD case ever again. Not sure why this is considered a great album. Was it something unique at the time - like punk?

This is just one man's opinion
. Give it another couple tries - this us truly a classic in THIS nan’s Opinion. The variety of music on this Cd makes it great.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 9, 2019 16:27

Erik_Snow
"Another Earls Court 1976" (VGP)

grinning smiley otoh DAC-086 "Have you seen Keef (standing in the shadows)?" never
disappoints! >grinning smiley<

Date: May 9, 2019 17:17

peoplewitheyes
PR200 -can't you hear the similarity between the riffs in those two songs? It's pretty obvious to me.

Yes, now that I think about it, it is pretty obvious. Sorry, Im having to do it in my head. Took me a minute, LOL
I guess when I think of "Smells like..", I usually think of the low verses with the Bass going, and the guitar just doing those two lonely notes. I never think of that riff.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 9, 2019 18:03

Palace Revolution 2000
Elmo Lewis
Hairball

Can you elaborate on that Elmo? Do you mean as far as dynamics? Really interesting notion.

Chord change in the choruses of both songs. This was pointed out to me - I think in Rolling Stone magazines 500 greatest songs. Maybe Hairball could tell you more.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 9, 2019 18:24

Well, Metal Machine Music.
Not the excellent first two sides I've listened to hundreds of times!
And not Side 4 either. But there's some stuff on Side 3 that's not that well thought out.
I just skip past most of side 3, but didn't want to admit it....

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1961
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home