Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
The Rolling Stones - "aren't they great?.....
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 7, 2019 01:00

I stumbled over this when surfing on Youtube. I know it's not new to the forum but anyway - I couldn't help laughing at it.
Those were the days. Dino on the Stones, from June, 1964:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-07 01:02 by Stoneage.

Re: The Rolling Stones - "aren't they great?.....
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 7, 2019 01:06

Wow never seen this before here... smoking smiley

Date: May 7, 2019 01:08

I know, Koen. But repetition is the mother of all learning...

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: May 7, 2019 01:11

Keith is still pissed about this I think.

Date: May 7, 2019 01:18

I can see that, Cindy. Dino manages to dismiss them three times in thirty seconds. It's almost biblical...

Date: May 7, 2019 01:38

Stoneage
I can see that, Cindy. Dino manages to dismiss them three times in thirty seconds. It's almost biblical...

Very rude for a host.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 7, 2019 02:09

I believe this was their American TV debut.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: May 7, 2019 02:17

More Hot Rocks
I believe this was their American TV debut.

It was indeed. It was included in the Career Documentary 25 X 5 which was part of the marketing bonanza for the 1989/90 World Tour.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 7, 2019 02:40

CindyC
Stoneage

Very rude for a host.

Dino gets a pass from me.
Loved him, and this was a changing of the guard moment.
He wasn't much different than others from his generation, and his snub fueled them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-07 02:42 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 7, 2019 03:10

I love Dino. I think the Stones got the last laugh too.

Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: May 7, 2019 07:52

Not their first US television appearance. They were on the "Les Crane Show" in NYC prior to this. Dino was probably their first national television appearance.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: May 7, 2019 10:08

Martin was reading cue-cards written by some Hollywood TV writer. I don't think he cared either way. It was what TV was at the time.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 7, 2019 10:47

…………. ....Dean Martin 1917 - 1995

ROCKMAN

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: May 7, 2019 11:17

CindyC
Keith is still pissed about this I think.

Surprise, cause according to Bill Wyman in a TV interview, they got "their" revange, because Brian "did" Martin's daughter during that visit spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: May 7, 2019 12:53

I am friends with Dino's grandson here in my little town in Mexico, I might ask him about this little episode!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 7, 2019 13:18

tomk
Martin was reading cue-cards written by some Hollywood TV writer. I don't think he cared either way. It was what TV was at the time.

It probably still is.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 7, 2019 13:36

Rockman

…………. ....Dean Martin 1917 - 1995

He actually looked pretty suave for 78 y.o. if that is his age second pic. Not sure when latter pic was taken.

Date: May 7, 2019 16:41

Apparently his "shtick" was to act (or be) drunk most of the time. That was considered funny. A good singer though. And he had swagger. Was nicknamed "The King of Cool". Did 58 movies.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 7, 2019 17:43

Keith about DM on 25x5: "We come back and bite your head off."

Date: May 7, 2019 18:02

Dino was a cool customer. When I first saw the clip on 25x5 it was funny. His generation didn't care for rock and roll, so to him to see these kids with long hair was confusing. I also think he just did it for comedic effect. It was a funny joke(s)

Lot of cool stories about Dino though. He had the Mill Brothers on one of his shows and was honored he was allowed to sing with them. This was a time when blacks only performed alone with no interaction with the white host or audience - similar to what the Stones did with Howling Wolf. He also scored a number one hit with Everybody Loves Somebody" in around 1964. He sent a telegram to Elvis that said something to the effect of if you don't want to fight the Beatles I will.
When he lost his son due to a flying accident Dino gave up on life. Sad ending to a cool guy.

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: May 7, 2019 19:33

On the vinyl bootleg 'Everlasting Stones' there is an interview with Bill where he severely castigates Martin for the treatment the Stones received and is actually incredulous that he could be drunk on TV. Of course anyone who knows anything about Dino knows the whole drunk thing was an act---he actually drank apple juice on camera.

Date: May 7, 2019 19:49

Sure, Iraq. But I do think he had problems with the booze later on. Maybe it even had something to do with the break between him and Sinatra?
Here is a clip where he obviously is tanked. He presents Peter Falk (who is brilliant here) at a Sinatra roast:
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-07 21:44 by Stoneage.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: May 7, 2019 21:16

Deanosaur...

Date: May 7, 2019 22:11

Stoneage
He presents Peter Falk (who is brilliant here) at a Sinatra roast:
[www.youtube.com]

Thanks for this Stoneage. I love Peter Falk too. Did you ever see him in Murder By Death. I love his dry humor.

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: May 7, 2019 22:27

Dino was devastated by the death of his son in 1987--plane crash. He took to the bottle big time and became a recluse--sad end.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 7, 2019 22:59

If his comments about the Stones are too much for you, then won't be able to handle his ad lib at 1:52 of this: [www.youtube.com]

Dean Martin made a career out of not giving a sh*t.

When NBC offered him his own TV variety show, he did it on the condition that he would just show up on the day it was actually taped, because he wanted to golf instead of work. His producer, Greg Garrison, would stand in for Dean all week during rehearsals with the guests, then Martin would come in on the last day and read the cue cards and glide through the show.

It didn't matter if he blew a line, because he would wing it, and those flubs and ad-libs became part of the act. Whether he was or wasn't actually drinking during his shows, the whole point was Dean Martin didn't break a sweat. Unlike Sinatra who really worked at being an artist, Dean couldn't be bothered--or at least he pretended not to care.

In Some Came Running, the line where he explains why Frank Sinatra shouldn't marry Shirley MacLaine's character is jaw dropping and blows me away every time I see it.

When Elvis started he dyed his hair black because he wanted to look like Dean Martin. That says it all.

Dave Hassinger alluded to the Hollywood Palace episode on his liner notes for Aftermath. I think that 55 years after that it's time for Stones fans to let it go and just get over it...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-07 23:09 by loog droog.

Date: May 7, 2019 23:08

CindyC
Stoneage
[www.youtube.com]

Thanks for this Stoneage. I love Peter Falk too. Did you ever see him in Murder By Death. I love his dry humor.

You're welcome, Cindy. Yes, I did. And in Wings of Desire. Not to mention Columbo of course. A likable guy. I even liked his nasal New York accent.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 7, 2019 23:57

CindyC
Stoneage

Very rude for a host.

Oh no...you have to absolutely love it on every level. It's absolutely a precious moment in stones history...and we are all the better for it.

Date: May 8, 2019 00:20

treaclefingers
Very rude for a host.

Oh no...you have to absolutely love it on every level. It's absolutely a precious moment in stones history...and we are all the better for it.[/quote]

Keith is the one who is upset, not me! But I still think it is rude for a host to mock the performance of a guest. Mock their clothes or hair, since that's where the generational gap was.

In any event, I don't dislike Dean Martin in general. I think pretending to be drunk is a cheesy gag if not done well.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 8, 2019 01:09

Stoneage
CindyC
Stoneage
[www.youtube.com]

You're welcome, Cindy. Yes, I did. And in Wings of Desire. Not to mention Columbo of course. A likable guy. I even liked his nasal New York accent.

He also had a small role in It's a Mad,Mad, Mad, Mad World as a taxi cab driver towards the end - one of my all time favorite movies.
And Columbo is probably my favorite tv show ever - the original series up to 1978 - the comeback version that started in the late '80's wasn't nearly as good.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1505
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home