Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: World Ice Hockey Championship - Slovakia 2019
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 26, 2019 20:51

Here is my last minute tip: Team Canada will win this pretty easy. They are not as ineffective in front of goal as the Russians. I will root for the Finns though. Russia took the bronze on penalties earlier today.
They didn't seem to be too happy about that. They were going for gold. Putin will not be happy with another failure...

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 26, 2019 21:33

Stoneage
Sure, BV. But why shouldn't the NHL be able to finish their league in April like all the other hockey nations? The NHL is the brake block here.
I mean how feasible would it be to have the world championships in mid June every year? Why should everyone else always adapt to the NHL?

Why can't the NHL finish in April? Because there's 82 games in a season. We're talking billions of dollars in revenue as well as huge player salaries. On top of that, 16 teams make the playoffs, each round is best of 7. Players don't get paid during the playoffs so this is where owners can make huge money.
Again, the best players in the world play in the NHL, with the odd exception. This tournament is obviously huge in Europe but again, it's not a huge deal in North America.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 26, 2019 23:33

Congratulation to Finland! Great Game. Huvä Suomi!

Bjornulf

Date: May 26, 2019 23:41

Congrats to Finland for winning the Championship! Getting outshot 44-22! Watching on TSN, I can see how much it means to them as you see fans crying in the stands. Beating Sweden, Russia and Canada in the playoffs is unbelievable!
As a fan of the Chicago Blackhawks, I'm very impressed with goalie Kevin Lankinen who kept Finland in the game. Also defenceman Henri Jokiharju. I think both will be a big part of the Hawks future!

Date: May 27, 2019 01:49

Yep, the goalie made the difference today. Lankinen shut the door. All kudos to Finland though. It's like a fairytale really. 2.03 meter tall Anttila scoring twice.
I thought Canada was going towards an easy win after their first goal. But everything changed in the second period. Congrats to Finland.

Date: May 27, 2019 08:53

DGA35
Stoneage
Sure, BV. But why shouldn't the NHL be able to finish their league in April like all the other hockey nations? The NHL is the brake block here.
I mean how feasible would it be to have the world championships in mid June every year? Why should everyone else always adapt to the NHL?

Why can't the NHL finish in April? Because there's 82 games in a season. We're talking billions of dollars in revenue as well as huge player salaries. On top of that, 16 teams make the playoffs, each round is best of 7. Players don't get paid during the playoffs so this is where owners can make huge money.
Again, the best players in the world play in the NHL, with the odd exception. This tournament is obviously huge in Europe but again, it's not a huge deal in North America.

I understand that, DGA35. The question is whether I think it's a good thing one organization dominating a sport in this way, draining all other leagues and hindering the possibilities
for international exchange on the highest level. I don't. You do (probably). That's the difference.

Date: May 28, 2019 13:08

I can't believe it happened again!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 29, 2019 13:54

Nice. Miracle On Ice #2, indeed. Since this doesn't happen too often (a third one in history) ice hockey-crazy Finland went totally nuts naturally. Half of the population was watching the final. Then BANG! The party continues - tonight at my town Tampere, as the team Finland arrives here. Monday there was some 50 000 people celebrating them in Helsinki.

This guy has now won three gold medals within 14 months (U18, U20, and now this one.), those who follow NHL will hear about him in future:

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-29 13:56 by Doxa.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 29, 2019 16:29

DGA35
Stoneage

I remember when the Stanley Cup Finals finished in mid-May! The first round was best of 5. They should return to that - but as you pointed out, revenue. As if they're raking it in.

It's ridiculous now, the regular season. 82 games? 80 wasn't enough? I feel it is unnecessary for a team to play every team.

I hope St Louis wins the Cup.

Date: May 30, 2019 14:59

GasLightStreet
DGA35
Stoneage

I remember when the Stanley Cup Finals finished in mid-May! The first round was best of 5. They should return to that - but as you pointed out, revenue. As if they're raking it in.

It's ridiculous now, the regular season. 82 games? 80 wasn't enough? I feel it is unnecessary for a team to play every team.

I hope St Louis wins the Cup.

Agree, GLS. Best of 7 is a joke. A boring one. And long regular seasons too. Idiots over here does the same thing. They copy everything from the NHL.
It's even more stupid here since this leads to 2/3 full arenas (many can't afford both expensive TV subscriptions and arena tickets).
And in early spring people in the south of Sweden tends to lose interest in winter sports since the football season starts in April.

Date: May 31, 2019 01:07

Doxa
Nice. Miracle On Ice #2, indeed. Since this doesn't happen too often (a third one in history) ice hockey-crazy Finland went totally nuts naturally. Half of the population was watching the final. Then BANG! The party continues - tonight at my town Tampere, as the team Finland arrives here. Monday there was some 50 000 people celebrating them in Helsinki.

This guy has now won three gold medals within 14 months (U18, U20, and now this one.), those who follow NHL will hear about him in future:

- Doxa

Kappo is a can't miss draft prospect. He'll go either first or second overall to either New Jersey or New York. It's either him or Jack Hughes that will go first overall.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1879
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home