Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: World Ice Hockey Championship - Slovakia 2019
Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 19, 2019 12:14

While the big teams are happy about playing quarter finals, Norway are happy for winning two games in a row vs Austria and Italy now. This means we are still in the top also for next year, which is the most important think for us.

Sure ice hockey is not big in Norway, we have one NHL player only in our team, and the other one Zucca broke his arm during the NHL playoff, while he would not be able to take ut to quarter finals alone.

Usually we are able to make some trouble for even the big teams like Canada and Sweden, but not this year unfortunately. May be next year.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 19, 2019 12:38

Yep, noticed that BV. Denmark has been a positive surprise though. And I'm very impressed with the Swiss team. With a bit of luck the could make it all the way. Zucca is a great player by the way.

Date: May 19, 2019 12:44

I was having the fun of ranking teams by the number of NHL players they have. No wonder Sweden seems to be the best team, their team is almost completely like twenty or so NHL players.

Bjornulf

Date: May 19, 2019 12:51

Sure, BV. But the only one who has really impressed so far is William Nylander. I think any team among the top seven can make it all the way. If your form isn't right on the day - you're out...

Date: May 21, 2019 02:51

Sweden survived with the skin of their teeth today. 5-4 against Latvia, the last goal in an open net. Great Britain managed to keep their place in the top group by defeating France with 4-3 on overtime after trailing with 0-3. France is out. The same goes for Austria who lost to Italy in the eliminating game. Tomorrow's games will decide the order of the quarterfinals on Thursday.
Some good games tomorrow: Canada versus USA and Sweden versus Russia...

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 21, 2019 05:59

I think it takes Canada and US a little while to get used to playing on the larger ice surface. North American rinks are 200x85 as opposed to 200x100 in Europe. Lots more room to skate which changes the dynamics of the game.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: May 21, 2019 07:00

bv
I was having the fun of ranking teams by the number of NHL players they have. No wonder Sweden seems to be the best team, their team is almost completely like twenty or so NHL players.

Hey BV, have you ever seen an NHL game live in North America? Buffalo and Tampa are playing two regulation games in Sweden this fall in October. (one home game for each team)

Date: May 21, 2019 12:16

Okey, quarterfinals tomorrow. I sure hope we can avoid USA, Canada, Czechia or Russia there. Some players needs to step up. Elias Lindholm for instance. He's been almost invisible.
Elias Pettersson too. I'm sure he's more than a wicked wrist shot? Some fine games tonight: Canada-USA and Sweden-Russia...

Date: May 22, 2019 08:11

Okey, here they are:

- Russia - USA
- Czechia - Germany
- Canada - Switzerland
- Finland - Sweden

Tomorrow, Thursday.

Sweden was outplayed by Russia yesterday, 4-7, after 0-6 in the second period. Our coach tried to downplay this after the game but mostly did a fool of himself. People have eyes namely.
Some thoughts for tomorrow:

- If Russia plays on the same level as they did in the second period against Sweden yesterday Team USA will be no match for them. On the other hand you never know with modern Russian teams.
They are not as stable as they used to be in the Soviet era. Team USA must play very aggressive against them to stand a chance.

- Czechia will be clear favorites against Germany. But the Germans can be very tough to beat.

- The same goes for Canada against Switzerland. But if they think Switzerland will be an easy game they should think twice. Switzerland came second in last year's WC.

- If Sweden manages to forget the Russian game they should be able to defeat Finland. But look out for Kaapo Kakko and Janne Pesonen. I think it will be an even game anyhow.

So, Russia, Czechia, Canada and Sweden through to the semifinals? I know I will be wrong on at least one account there. But anyway...

Date: May 23, 2019 14:46

Bump! Today is the day...

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: May 23, 2019 17:33

Every Bar,Cafe,Restaurant,Beer Garden etc in Prague will have it on the telly Tonight...Here in Prague!!!!!! Fun Tournament....Czech's Love their Hockey!!!!! Hoping for a Czech vs Russia Final...We will see.M

Date: May 23, 2019 20:27

What a game Russia versus USA was. One of the best games I have seen at this level. Russia won with 4-3. Team USA fought bravely. Kane, Gaudreau and Hughes are really good players.
In the other quarterfinal Team Canada were lucky to equalize to 2-2 when there was 0.4 seconds left on the clock. And managed to win in OT (3-3 players on the ice).
Mark Stone, who scored the last goal, seems to be the leader in that team. Poor Switzerland! How close they were to knock out Canada!
I say must this tournament is one of the best ones I have seen in a long time.

Posted by: leftybill ()
Date: May 23, 2019 23:19

The Canada/Switzerland game had a great ending for us Canucks. The ice was so tilted in the third period - Canada totally dominated. Hats off to the Swiss - a very tenacious effort.

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: May 24, 2019 00:20

Czech's Roll over Germany ......Bring on Canada!!!!!!

Date: May 24, 2019 00:58

Sweden is out. Congrats to Finland. The better team this evening. Sweden's NHL-stars underachieved.
And I don't know about the coaching. A disappointment. Semifinals on Saturday:

- Russia - Finland
- Canada - Czechia

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 24, 2019 02:27

Haha. Our Finnish team is a disaster, full of nobodies. And they kicked out NHL-heavy Sweden out of tournament. A bit of "winter war" mentality and the Swedes were out of their minds... Never ever has such a weak Finnish team won such a strong (in paper) Team Sweden. Zero NHL playars against a team full of NHL (many star-class) players. There never been such a difference if one looks the rosters. Well, you live and learn...

- Doxa

Date: May 24, 2019 08:02

Canada squeaked out a great victory over Switzerland, not sure why the Swiss give them so much trouble.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: May 24, 2019 10:15

Doxa
Haha. Our Finnish team is a disaster, full of nobodies. And they kicked out NHL-heavy Sweden out of tournament. A bit of "winter war" mentality and the Swedes were out of their minds... Never ever has such a weak Finnish team won such a strong (in paper) Team Sweden. Zero NHL playars against a team full of NHL (many star-class) players. There never been such a difference if one looks the rosters. Well, you live and learn...

- Doxa

I think it´s hard to take these championships seriously. Normally a team plays together for weeks before a tournament, but in hockey they just arrive directly from NHL. No wonder they can´t deliver. Just imagine a national football team to play a championship under those circumstances. Doesn´t happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-24 10:16 by Svartmer.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: May 24, 2019 13:55

I call this thing The Skoda Cup.

But still, Go Canada Go!

Date: May 24, 2019 15:17

What's your alternative then, Topi? This is what we got. And some of the games played in this year's tournament are some of the best ever played at international level. The Russian-USA game for instance.
But if you dislike the World Championships go back to watching your NHL games then. As if they were any better. Look what happened to the Swedish and Canadian NHL stars yesterday...
Even if your paycheck says $10 million a year you can still be outplayed by someone who earns $50 thousand a year. The evidence is there every year at the World Championships...

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: May 24, 2019 16:06

Go, Finland, go! Sometimes it’s good to be the underdog.

Date: May 24, 2019 16:16

The Sicilian
bv

Hey BV, have you ever seen an NHL game live in North America? Buffalo and Tampa are playing two regulation games in Sweden this fall in October. (one home game for each team)

Yes. I have been to a few NHL games in Toronto, Montreal, New York, Anaheim, Los Angeles, San Jose etc. Most of the time it has been during travel for work or Stones tours. It is always to see ice hockey on a high level. In October I will be resting from a long tour at home, and in-between that I will walk the 15 minutes up to our own ice hockey rink here in Asker, to see out own team. They do quite well. We won the Norwegian Championship last month, and one of our players, Sean McMonagle, originally from Toronto, but now playing for Italy, did actually score the very important goal that made Italy win over Austria this week in the world champonship.

Bjornulf

Date: May 24, 2019 20:14

The headline in Swedish media the day after: Fiasco. Henrik Lundqvist, the goalie, is even ridiculed. There are speculations that this was his last game. The only player that is getting praise is William Nylander.
Clearly the best Swedish player in the tournament. Almost every other player underachieved. Of course I will now root for the Finns. After all Finland was a part of Sweden for about 650 years.
They will have a hard time against the Russians though. I think Czechia - Canada will be an even affair. I hope Czechia makes it to the final though since they are (almost) on home turf.
So, Russia - Czechia in the final then? What do you think? Have you seen any of the games, by the way?

Date: May 25, 2019 18:37

A heroic effort by the Finns. 1-0 against Russia. Jukka Jalonen - talk about coaching! And Lankinen - talk about goaltending.
What a team effort. Hats off for Finland! Hyvä Suomi!

Date: May 25, 2019 21:47

I just don't care about the Worlds that much, Stoneage. Glad the Stanley Cup Final is just around the corner.

The best hockey, however, is the World Juniors. Guys trying so hard, no lead is safe, great crowds...had a blast in Vancouver this past New Year's - went to nine games!

But I admit, I'm weird. I'm a Finn but I root for Canada. Maybe it's because it's my favorite country.

Date: May 25, 2019 22:40

Congrats to Canada for beating the Czechs 5-1. I actually only saw the third period since I wasn't too sure when it was on! It's good to watch these players who otherwise, I wouldn't pay much attention to when they play regular NHL games. Mark Stone is pretty much the only NHL all star player on the team! Didn't know much about Anthony Mantha who plays for Detroit, but he looks really good. Too bad John Tavares got injured just before the tournament began. He would have been our best player.
Tomorrow's gold medal game against Finland should be a great game. Hopefully we could get revenge for the opening game loss to Finland.

Date: May 25, 2019 23:10

Should be a fun game!

Date: May 26, 2019 15:08

The modern Russian teams are a mystery to me. So much talent and still they always comes up with a way to lose in the final games. Is it bad coaching? Or what is it?
I'm rooting for the Finns today of course. It will be like a David and Goliath game in many ways. Finland with 2 WC golds (1995, 2011) and Canada with 26 (first in 1920 and last in 2016).
Finland with no NHL players and Canada with only NHL players (as far as I know). Can Finland repeat their success against Sweden and Russia?
If it happens it will be one of the greatest triumphs for Finnish hockey ever.

Date: May 26, 2019 15:15

I am not sure how easy it is to coach or even manage a team when you fly in superstars and players who are kicked out of the NHL playoff the week before or so. Having the world championship running at the same time as NHL playoff is going on means you end up with either players who play other places, or who are available short notice. Even ice hockey is a game of tactics.

Bjornulf

Date: May 26, 2019 15:22

Sure, BV. But why shouldn't the NHL be able to finish their league in April like all the other hockey nations? The NHL is the brake block here.
I mean how feasible would it be to have the world championships in mid June every year? Why should everyone else always adapt to the NHL?

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1794
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home