Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: O/T Best American Bands of All Time
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 6, 2019 19:38

Velvet Underground

Doors, Kiss (some of their songs combined with performance 1974-1980)
Beach Boys Lynnyrd (not a fan but they had some good ones), NWA, Wu-Tang Clan

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: May 6, 2019 19:54

Ministry grinning smiley

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: May 6, 2019 20:02

Have these been mentioned?

Mountain

Hot Tuna

Spirit

Iron Butterfly

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 6, 2019 20:09

Best. grinning smiley

Date: May 6, 2019 20:23

His Majesty
Best. grinning smiley

I'm not even sure what "best" means, but to be best (whatever that means) at anything for 50 years or even "of all Time" is quite a feat!

A lot of these bands were many peoples favorites at one time or another. How about a "best of the best" list...

Date: May 6, 2019 20:31

His Majesty
2000 LYFH

When you do do, who do you listen do...smoking smiley

Clearly defined bands I've listened to recently are:
Funkadelic, Country Joe & The Fish, Quicksilver Messenger Service and Pavement.

Not sure if Miles Davis, Muddy Waters, Frank Zappa/The Mother of Invention, The Supremes, Richard & Mimi Farina, Ike & Tina Turner fit.

Love Quicksilver - check out their "What About Me" album from 1970. Nicky Hopkins plays on it and wrote the song "Spindrifter". Great album...

Country Joe and the Fish at Woodstock. Give me an F...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 6, 2019 20:45

John Cipollina! hot smiley

[youtu.be]

Gary Duncan! hot smiley

[youtu.be]

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: May 6, 2019 21:20

Witness
stickyfingers101
keefriff99
Witness
keefriff99
DGA35
TKinOH
It's all a matter of taste and timing isn't it?

What was huge when a person was in their formative years...

I'm 53...

I'll take The Mighty Van Halen every single time!

Hey we're the same age! I grew up near Vancouver. My three favourite bands today are the same as when I was in high school: Stones, VH, AC/DC
Nice! The Stones and AC/DC will always remain my two favorite rock'n'roll bands.

There are plenty of sophisticated, artsy bands out there, but you can't beat those two for no bullshit, meat 'n' potatoes rock'n'roll.

To me such a description does not in any way capture the magic, the diversity or even the core about the music from the Rolling Stones.

However, the quoted description confirms my prejudice of AC/DC, a band that I have never listened to and am not aware of having heard any songs from, even I may have been met with it without noticing it. (I will not listen to links to songs, so there is no need present such links.)

Edit: My apology for OT-ing on this OT about American bands.
It's your loss if you want to be that closed-minded.

Agree 100% w/ KeefRiff....how can you be prejudiced against a band you admittedly never listened to and state that you never will listen to?

weird.

I have been prejudiced by how that band is and has been described. It is not an active prejudice, but something I became aware of by reading your quotes, as by other quotes that I have read formerly. I choose to use my allotted time and money to listen to bands that I am curious about. What else? Or do you yourselves act otherwise?

(In passing, I have got a compilation of the Easybeats if you know what that was.It contains perhaps only two or three songs that I really like.)

???

this post makes even less sense: You're prejudiced based on how AC/DC is described by others (me?) on an internet board.....but not on how they SOUND TO YOU??

try listening to music before you judge it.

FYI...yes, I spend $$ and time on things i am interested in. But, I am certainly not prejudiced against things I've never tried or listened to.

by your (il)logic, I don't need to know anything about Easybeats or listen to them to develop a prejudice against them....I just need know that you like them????

sorry...weird.

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: May 6, 2019 22:38

The Jayhawks - Not to be quoted as one the Best bands off all time - but please give their Album 'Holywood Town Hall' a listen - for me it would be one of my Top Ten Desert Island Discs.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 6, 2019 22:38

Greatest...

Date: May 6, 2019 22:56

Death. A black punk rock band from the 70s.

Brilliant band, imo.

Posted by: fuwa ()
Date: May 6, 2019 23:04

The Highwaymen
Los Lobos

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 6, 2019 23:24

stickyfingers101
Witness
stickyfingers101
keefriff99
Witness
keefriff99
DGA35
TKinOH

I'm 53...

Hey we're the same age! I grew up near Vancouver. My three favourite bands today are the same as when I was in high school: Stones, VH, AC/DC
Nice! The Stones and AC/DC will always remain my two favorite rock'n'roll bands.

There are plenty of sophisticated, artsy bands out there, but you can't beat those two for no bullshit, meat 'n' potatoes rock'n'roll.

To me such a description does not in any way capture the magic, the diversity or even the core about the music from the Rolling Stones.

However, the quoted description confirms my prejudice of AC/DC, a band that I have never listened to and am not aware of having heard any songs from, even I may have been met with it without noticing it. (I will not listen to links to songs, so there is no need present such links.)

It's your loss if you want to be that closed-minded.

Agree 100% w/ KeefRiff....how can you be prejudiced against a band you admittedly never listened to and state that you never will listen to?

weird.

I have been prejudiced by how that band is and has been described. It is not an active prejudice, but something I became aware of by reading your quotes, as by other quotes that I have read formerly. I choose to use my allotted time and money to listen to bands that I am curious about. What else? Or do you yourselves act otherwise?

(In passing, I have got a compilation of the Easybeats if you know what that was.It contains perhaps only two or three songs that I really like.)

???

this post makes even less sense: You're prejudiced based on how AC/DC is described by others (me?) on an internet board.....but not on how they SOUND TO YOU??

try listening to music before you judge it.

FYI...yes, I spend $$ and time on things i am interested in. But, I am certainly not prejudiced against things I've never tried or listened to.

by your (il)logic, I don't need to know anything about Easybeats or listen to them to develop a prejudice against them....I just need know that you like them????

sorry...weird.

There are many bands that I have no motivation to listen to, whether I don't know anything about them, or I read something about them that does not appeal to me. I have not any responsibilty to investigate if what I have read or thought is correct. I have not a judgement as such about AC/DC, only a lack of interest to listen to them.

As to the Easybeats, in case you don't know, but maybe you do, among their band members were one Harry Vanda and one George Young. Those two later produced, I now read, the first six albums for a band, where two younger brothers of the latter were members. Myself I only especially like two singles that the Easybeats released in the '60s. I even bought the first of those during years when my money was scarce, "Friday on My Mind". The other, "Heaven and Hell", I obtained first many years later with a four record compilation, I think it was.

Edit: Correction of one misspelling or misprint.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-07 09:10 by Witness.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 7, 2019 00:36

George Young was Angus and Malcolm's older brother. He was indeed in the Easybeats before AC/DC even formed (the two bands sounded nothing alike).

Vanda and Young produced all of AC/DC's early albums up through Powerage, before they hooked up with Mutt Lange for Highway to Hell. Vanda and Young returned to produce Blow Up Your Video in 1988, and George produced 2000's Stiff Upper Lip.

George and Malcolm both died in 2017, sadly.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 7, 2019 00:42

Witness
keefriff99
DGA35
TKinOH

I'm 53...

I see what you're saying.

The Stones are obviously way more diverse and multifaceted than, say, AC/DC. What I mean is that WHEN the Stones play stripped-down rock'n'roll, it's as close to a pure and perfect representation of the genre as you can get.

And then when you factor in all other musical genres they've successfully explored and made their own, it makes them even more unique and special.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-07 00:43 by keefriff99.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 7, 2019 03:11

THE JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 7, 2019 06:44

Date: May 7, 2019 06:52

Elvis Presley - A Big Hunk O' Love (take 4)
[www.youtube.com]

Studio 1958, Nashville
Written by Aaron Schroeder and Sid Wyche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-07 06:53 by hopkins.

Date: May 7, 2019 08:15

slew
THE JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE

Two brits and an american in exile? winking smiley I agree about the Experience being the best backing band he worked with, though.

Date: May 7, 2019 09:16

[www.youtube.com]
Thank you / Sly & the Family Stone LIVE ! on soul train

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: May 7, 2019 12:47

Keith is a huge AC/DC fan, Malcolm rhythm genius, his good friend Angus playing.
He loves Powerage album.

Perfect for me.

Witness
keefriff99
DGA35
TKinOH

I'm 53...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-07 12:53 by powerage78.

Date: May 8, 2019 08:35

loog droog
Palace Revolution 2000
The Patti Smith band was excellent. It normally doesn't work when guitarists double as bassist, but Ivan and Lenny both did well. Jay Dee was the right drummer. The piano was important in that band, but I think Sohl was replaced. no?

Sohl had some issues and left right after the recording of Radio Ethiopia. He was replaced on a brief Scandinavian tour by future Brian Wilson collaborator Andy Paley (this line-up can be heard on a rare--and unauthorized by Patti-- live B-side cover of "Time Is On My Side") When they toured the U.S. at the end of '76, Paley was out and former Sidewinder(their album was produced by Lenny Kaye) Lee Foxx joined on bass, as Lenny and Ivan gamely took turns at the piano.

Keyboardist Bruce Brody from John Cale's band joined for the Easter sessions (while Foxx dropped out of the group, leaving bass to Ivan and Lenny again) and toured with the group in '78.

In '79, Richard (nicknamed "DNV" after his obsession with the film Death In Venice) resolved his problems and rejoined the PSG for the Wave album and tour, after which Patti took a long hiatus to have a family until she recorded Dream of Life in 1988, which was credited to "Patti Smith."

I few years ago I saw Blondie perform on a late night show, and there was Lee Foxx --looking pretty much like he did in '76--playing the bass.

Yes it was Bruce Brody who I was thinking of. Thanks Loog

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 8, 2019 09:20

Shoutout for the MC5. (And the Stooges.)

Date: May 8, 2019 10:42

Death: [youtu.be]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 8, 2019 14:14

So many names mentioned here, but not yet my favourite American band of all-time (after Muddy Waters Band from the 50's): The Fugs. For some odd reason, they are always neglected. (Is it because as one of their album covers tell "For Adult Minds Only"grinning smiley).

The best living and breathing American band is Dylan's band. By a huge mile.

- Doxa

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 8, 2019 14:49

Doxa

- Doxa

Great band, no doubt, but my vote for "best living breathing American band" would go to Tedeschi Trucks Band.

Have seen Dylan's band up close several times over the years, and never did they leave me in awe like TTB. From Susan's vocals to Derek's slide, by far the best band currently out there.. imo.
[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 8, 2019 17:45

MisterDDDD
Doxa

- Doxa

Great band, no doubt, but my vote for "best living breathing American band" would go to Tedeschi Trucks Band.

Have seen Dylan's band up close several times over the years, and never did they leave me in awe like TTB. From Susan's vocals to Derek's slide, by far the best band currently out there.. imo.
[www.youtube.com]

I also love that band. It seems like they have fashioned a lot of their choices after what is IMO one of the greatest shows ever laid down: the Mad Dogs & Englishmen. But I just don't get it - sure Susan T. can hold a note, but get nothing there. I have always thought she is a glaring weak link in that band.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 8, 2019 18:08

Palace Revolution 2000
MisterDDDD
Doxa

- Doxa

[www.youtube.com]

I also love that band. It seems like they have fashioned a lot of their choices after what is IMO one of the greatest shows ever laid down: the Mad Dogs & Englishmen. But I just don't get it - sure Susan T. can hold a note, but get nothing there. I have always thought she is a glaring weak link in that band.

Funny, for me Susan has always been the main draw.
Used to go to her solo shows a lot.. her vocals have always been amazing imo, and her guitar playing skills have increased dramatically since marrying Derek.

True story- the first time I ever heard her on a car radio (Hurt So Bad), I pulled the car over to listen and find out who this Joplin-esque singer was, and fifteen minutes later had purchased the cd from a nearby record store. Great singer.
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 8, 2019 21:44

OK.

7 pages, and no mention, so I'll do my regular bit...

My vote for the BEST AMERICAN band....has to be.. the one and only... N R B Q !

The classic lineup: Terry, Joey, Big Al and Tommy on German TV:

[www.youtube.com]

Keith weighing in on the Q and Joey:
[www.youtube.com]

That was then... right now Terry's latest incarnation sounds just as good:

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-08 22:27 by loog droog.

Date: May 8, 2019 21:55

Booker T and The MG's
Vocals: Dave Prater and Sam Moore

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1918
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home