Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8
Re: O/T Best American Bands of All Time
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 5, 2019 21:13

Javadave
Not sure what you're getting at Stan. Who are the Vultures?

The Ventures took instrumental surf rock worldwide, and had a profound effect on a young Jimi Hendrix.
Stan is well-known for his endless arrogance and argumentative nature around here. He always thinks he's the smartest person in the room (just ask him...he'll tell you).

Best to just ignore his mini-tantrums.

Posted by: swaff ()
Date: May 5, 2019 21:55

Man!!!
Some good stuff coming at ya right there...
Glad to see, at least my top twenty in there for sure.
From James Brown band with Booty's and Catfish, to Metallica (being from the Bay Area!!!).
From Booker T & The MG's, but with Otis Redding to SVR and Double Trouble (giving some love to Texas).
But for me personally it's Areosmith.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 5, 2019 21:58

The Cramps - Garbage Man ……….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 6, 2019 00:41

SomeGuy
More Hot Rocks
Sounds like people are just rattling off any American band. Blondie? Really? Come on. I could go to my local open mic and hear better bands

Wasn't that just what you were doing? Maybe check the subject of this thread, instead of nitpicking other people's choices. I too don't like some of the bands mentioned but I respect other people's posts.

Wahhhhh!! The subject says best bands. I guess you can’t read.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: May 6, 2019 00:48

More Hot Rocks
SomeGuy
More Hot Rocks
Sounds like people are just rattling off any American band. Blondie? Really? Come on. I could go to my local open mic and hear better bands

Wasn't that just what you were doing? Maybe check the subject of this thread, instead of nitpicking other people's choices. I too don't like some of the bands mentioned but I respect other people's posts.

I think Someguy is caught in some crib. Relax dude. I have to agree with MHR people are just naming bands that’s all it’s pretty obvious

Date: May 6, 2019 01:08

Like this

Chicago
Kansas
Boston
LA Guns
NYC hit single I’m Doin Fine Now
NY Dolls
Buffalo Springfield

Etc

Those are for you Someguy

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: May 6, 2019 01:38

More Hot Rocks
SomeGuy
More Hot Rocks

I decide what I like, not you. Sorry. And there's lots of other American bands that I like and didn't mention, so as not to rattle off, as you would have it. The one thing that I decided to react to, is the fact that you deemed it necessary to slag off ONE post (mine) about a band that apparently isn't quite your taste (so what??). In this entire thread, no one did this, to any other post, except you, as this was a seemingly good natured thread about nothing important really, until YOUR post appeared.

Date: May 6, 2019 02:29

SomeGuy
More Hot Rocks
SomeGuy
More Hot Rocks

I decide what I like, not you. Sorry. And there's lots of other American bands that I like and didn't mention, so as not to rattle off, as you would have it. The one thing that I decided to react to, is the fact that you deemed it necessary to slag off ONE post (mine) about a band that apparently isn't quite your taste (so what??). In this entire thread, no one did this, to any other post, except you, as this was a seemingly good natured thread about nothing important really, until YOUR post appeared.

Why are even arguing. Just relax. Move on.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: May 6, 2019 02:39

Right, Cooltoplady, let's, & peace.

Date: May 6, 2019 04:17

SomeGuy
Right, Cooltoplady, let's, & peace.

And peace and love to you too Someguy

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 6, 2019 05:12

This thread made me realise I rarely listen to American bands.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-06 05:13 by His Majesty.

Posted by: 5stringTele ()
Date: May 6, 2019 05:54

I'll settle this out-of-control thread once and for all. THE BEST American band -- EVER -- was:

The Nairobi Trio

In lieu of a microphone, I'll just drop my mouse.

Case closed.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 6, 2019 07:32

TKinOH
It's all a matter of taste and timing isn't it?

What was huge when a person was in their formative years...

I'm 53...

I'll take The Mighty Van Halen every single time!

Hey we're the same age! I grew up near Vancouver. My three favourite bands today are the same as when I was in high school: Stones, VH, AC/DC

Date: May 6, 2019 08:31

DGA35
TKinOH

I'm 53...

Hey we're the same age! I grew up near Vancouver. My three favourite bands today are the same as when I was in high school: Stones, VH, AC/DC
Nice! The Stones and AC/DC will always remain my two favorite rock'n'roll bands.

There are plenty of sophisticated, artsy bands out there, but you can't beat those two for no bullshit, meat 'n' potatoes rock'n'roll.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 6, 2019 11:46

keefriff99
DGA35
TKinOH

I'm 53...

Nice! The Stones and AC/DC will always remain my two favorite rock'n'roll bands.

There are plenty of sophisticated, artsy bands out there, but you can't beat those two for no bullshit, meat 'n' potatoes rock'n'roll.

To me such a description does not in any way capture the magic, the diversity or even the core about the music from the Rolling Stones.

However, the quoted description confirms my prejudice of AC/DC, a band that I have never listened to and am not aware of having heard any songs from, even I may have been met with it without noticing it. (I will not listen to links to songs, so there is no need present such links.)

Edit: My apology for OT-ing on this OT about American bands.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-06 11:50 by Witness.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 6, 2019 14:13

I love American music and musicians; Honestly, when I think of great
and deeply rich American bands, i'm going back to black and back to the forties; or thirties and up from there...
and folks stuff and new orleans stuff and louie armstrong's orchestras
when he was very young; the template that the great white swing bands
and Big Bands that were sorta 'covering' that ground ; jump music, boogie,,,
all the things i like about rock and roll but not necessarily the stuff
that's more famous in popular culture....
a lot of soul music from the sixties the stuff that turned lennon and jagger and wyman on...and early rock and roll and rockabilly country...i like country a lot....more hard rock on country pop than in hard rock...tho i don't listen much...i like anything with soul...sweet soul music by arthur conley is kinda like better than anything springsteen's ever done his whole career is sometimes the way i feel; and i thought Bruce from Born to Run and for several albums after was totally ace and killer....but i'm older now and listening more to the stuff i first liked; a lot of black girl groups that were informed by church and city sounds in philly, new york, lots of places; the roots and essence of what we have in this new recording medium; i was born the year Little Richard , at 16, first recorded some stuff; it was like forties jump band kinda stuff; and some maudlin ballads for his mother; and here and there in the jump band kind of stuff, you could hear rock and roll giving birth to itself. so yeh., Rockman put the picture up...Little Richard and The Upsetters.
Dylan's first inspiration, George Harrison accepting the rock and roll hall of fame membership didn't have notes; he's George and humble and real and just said a few words looking into the audience a bit and saw Richard and said something like "Blame it all on him" and that's accurate as far as I'm concerned. i heard Richard before i heard anyone else try to climb that particular mountain; and it was a volcano that blew all the way into space; i've never, ever come back down; and don't intend to...

James Brown Famous Flames can NOT be beat; by anyone. in his prime; which lasted quite a while; if you go back to the apollo stuff and previous to that
a few years...and Ike Turner's band, Rocket 88 into the Tina stuff.
a lot of soul acts; this is too long i will delete most all of it...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-06 14:32 by hopkins.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: May 6, 2019 14:35

loog droog
runaway
Koen
runaway
Aretha Franklin
Janis
Billy Holiday
Patti Smith

Great artists, but not bands.

Aretha Franklin
Billy Holiday & Her All-Star Band
Janis Big Brother And The Holden Company
Patti Smith Band

"Patti Smith BAND??"

It's The Patti Smith Group. You'll find that name on her albums starting with her second, Radio Ethiopia, and also on the third and fourth, Easter and Wave.

You'll also see it on the photo of the marquee when she opened for the Stones in '78.

The Patti Smith Group stands for the 1974-1979 period, Patti Smith and her band and Patti Smith and Band was named: In 2018, Smith's concert-documentary film Horses: Patti Smith and her Band premiered at the 2018 Tribeca Film Festival to wide acclaim.
MAANDAG 28 JANUARI 2019
PATTI SMITH AND BAND
New Yorkse punkpoëet

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 6, 2019 14:40

DiscoVolante
The Velvet Underground
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Sly & The Family Stone
Funkadelic
MC5
Talking Heads
The Stooges

that's more like it... I would add the Gun Club in its 1980-1984 incarnation.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: May 6, 2019 15:51

Nobody tops "Dr. Teeth & the Electric Mayhem Band"

[www.youtube.com]

[vignette.wikia.nocookie.net]

Date: May 6, 2019 16:24

The Patti Smith band was excellent. It normally doesn't work when guitarists double as bassist, but Ivan and Lenny both did well. Jay Dee was the right drummer. The piano was important in that band, but I think Sohl was replaced. no?

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: May 6, 2019 16:43

Palace Revolution 2000
The Patti Smith band was excellent. It normally doesn't work when guitarists double as bassist, but Ivan and Lenny both did well. Jay Dee was the right drummer. The piano was important in that band, but I think Sohl was replaced. no?

Sohl died in 1990 and Shanahan is present since 1996 - bass, guitar and keyboards

Date: May 6, 2019 16:55

Witness
keefriff99
DGA35
TKinOH

I'm 53...

To me such a description does not in any way capture the magic, the diversity or even the core about the music from the Rolling Stones.

However, the quoted description confirms my prejudice of AC/DC, a band that I have never listened to and am not aware of having heard any songs from, even I may have been met with it without noticing it. (I will not listen to links to songs, so there is no need present such links.)

It's your loss if you want to be that closed-minded.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 6, 2019 17:23

Okay, time for Big Al to have a bash at this :-

The Beach Boys
Diana Ross and The Supremes
The Byrds
Simon and Garfunkel - not a ‘band’, though, not a ‘solo act’
The Doors
The Velvet Underground
The Ramones
Guns N’ Roses
Nirvana
The Strokes - well, they were my world circa 2001-03

I’m actually finding this difficult. Too many of my favourites are British. However, all the above I adore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-06 17:25 by Big Al.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: May 6, 2019 17:58

keefriff99
Witness
keefriff99
DGA35
TKinOH

I'm 53...

Agree 100% w/ KeefRiff....how can you be prejudiced against a band you admittedly never listened to and state that you never will listen to?

weird.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 6, 2019 18:14

Palace Revolution 2000

Sohl had some issues and left right after the recording of Radio Ethiopia. He was replaced on a brief Scandinavian tour by future Brian Wilson collaborator Andy Paley (this line-up can be heard on a rare--and unauthorized by Patti-- live B-side cover of "Time Is On My Side") When they toured the U.S. at the end of '76, Paley was out and former Sidewinder(their album was produced by Lenny Kaye) Lee Foxx joined on bass, as Lenny and Ivan gamely took turns at the piano.

Keyboardist Bruce Brody from John Cale's band joined for the Easter sessions (while Foxx dropped out of the group, leaving bass to Ivan and Lenny again) and toured with the group in '78.

In '79, Richard (nicknamed "DNV" after his obsession with the film Death In Venice) resolved his problems and rejoined the PSG for the Wave album and tour, after which Patti took a long hiatus to have a family until she recorded Dream of Life in 1988, which was credited to "Patti Smith."

I few years ago I saw Blondie perform on a late night show, and there was Lee Foxx --looking pretty much like he did in '76--playing the bass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-06 22:39 by loog droog.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 6, 2019 18:15

dcba
DiscoVolante
The Velvet Underground
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Sly & The Family Stone
Funkadelic
MC5
Talking Heads
The Stooges

that's more like it... I would add the Gun Club in its 1980-1984 incarnation.

thumbs up
The Gun Club was a hell of a band '80 - '84 .... The Las Vegas Story is one of my favourite albums...

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: May 6, 2019 18:24

His Majesty
This thread made me realise I rarely listen to American bands.

When you do do, who do you listen do...smoking smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 6, 2019 18:49

2000 LYFH

When you do do, who do you listen do...smoking smiley

Clearly defined bands I've listened to recently are:
Funkadelic, Country Joe & The Fish, Quicksilver Messenger Service and Pavement.

Not sure if Miles Davis, Muddy Waters, Frank Zappa/The Mother of Invention, The Supremes, Richard & Mimi Farina, Ike & Tina Turner fit.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 6, 2019 19:06

stickyfingers101
keefriff99
Witness
keefriff99
DGA35
TKinOH

I'm 53...

Agree 100% w/ KeefRiff....how can you be prejudiced against a band you admittedly never listened to and state that you never will listen to?

weird.

I have been prejudiced by how that band is and has been described. It is not an active prejudice, but something I became aware of by reading your quotes, as by other quotes that I have read formerly. I choose to use my allotted time and money to listen to bands that I am curious about. What else? Or do you yourselves act otherwise?

(In passing, I have got a compilation of the Easybeats if you know what that was.It contains perhaps only two or three songs that I really like.)

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 6, 2019 19:18

Thanks MrDDDD for Cheap Trick

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1460
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home