Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Keith Playing Slide
Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: April 29, 2019 03:21

I’ve never heard much discussion here or anywhere else about Keith Richards’s slide playing. People praise Mick Taylor’s abilities on slide, and sometimes, Ronnie Wood’s. But, honestly, Keith’s slide that fills in most of the gaps with no vocals on the Let It Bleed album are my personal favorite slide guitar parts I’ve ever heard. Yet, he rarely played slide again after that album. Midnight Rambler, Let It Bleed, Love in Vain, You Got The Silver.. just sublime. Am I the only one who’s noticed?

Re: Keith Playing Slide
Date: April 29, 2019 03:24

You definitely aren't the only one because I feel the same way. He's underrated and rarely shows his talent as a slide guitarist. Listen to this if you haven't, there's some great slide playing from him in this: [youtu.be]

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: April 29, 2019 03:31

NeverMakeASaintOfMe
You definitely aren't the only one because I feel the same way. He's underrated and rarely shows his talent as a slide guitarist. Listen to this if you haven't, there's some great slide playing from him in this: [youtu.be]

Agreed! It would be a hot version of that song if they’d left off the cheesy techno backing track that seems to be playing to a different beat.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: April 29, 2019 04:23

NeverMakeASaintOfMe

I don’t think he’s underrated below average at best. Nothing thrilling. Just fills here and there. Tasteful fills yes. But that’s all

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 29, 2019 04:33

If he had wanted to, Keith could have been a very accomplished slide player.. but he seemed to always be surrounded by other guitarists who play slide a lot better ..so he went with that.
Keith has done so much, he’s a stylist with a great feel for certain things.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: April 29, 2019 04:50

If bet Kieth couldn’t do a solo on slide if he tried

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 29, 2019 04:54

Heck …. Keith could even do a solo on a see-saw …….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 29, 2019 04:57

Monkey Man

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 29, 2019 05:34

It's because he was a novice at it at the time. Sometimes that can work in a musician's favor.

Date: April 29, 2019 07:49

nonfilter
I’ve never heard much discussion here or anywhere else about Keith Richards’s slide playing. People praise Mick Taylor’s abilities on slide, and sometimes, Ronnie Wood’s. But, honestly, Keith’s slide that fills in most of the gaps with no vocals on the Let It Bleed album are my personal favorite slide guitar parts I’ve ever heard. Yet, he rarely played slide again after that album. Midnight Rambler, Let It Bleed, Love in Vain, You Got The Silver.. just sublime. Am I the only one who’s noticed?

He plays slide on Blue And Lonesome smiling smiley (Hoodoo Blues)

I agree with all above, though. Keith's slide playing on LIB (and BB!) was excellent.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: April 29, 2019 08:36

Little red rooster.
There you csn see- nothing special.
[youtu.be]

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 29, 2019 09:46

When asked why he hasn't played more slide, Keith has said that it's mostly because there's always been a better slide player in the band.

With partners in crime Brian , Mick T & Ronnie... I suppose you can see the logic in that.smiling smiley

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: April 29, 2019 16:30

Did he play slide on Sticky Fingers? He played a lot of slide on Exile it seems.

Date: April 29, 2019 16:38

TravelinMan
Did he play slide on Sticky Fingers? He played a lot of slide on Exile it seems.

You Gotta Move

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: April 29, 2019 16:42

He plays slide on YGM at the Fonda.

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: April 29, 2019 17:15

er?.....Guys

Ry Cooder plays on many tracks 68/69/70...one of the greatest slide guitar players of all time, can't believe nobody mentioned him

..did he also teach Keith the open G stuff

...imagine a world without Keiths open G songs!

Date: April 29, 2019 17:35

Oh Sh.....!!

Tin hats on !

I think some of us were deliberately not mentioning Ry Cooder .

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: April 29, 2019 18:23

DandelionPowderman
nonfilter

He plays slide on Blue And Lonesome smiling smiley (Hoodoo Blues)

I agree with all above, though. Keith's slide playing on LIB (and BB!) was excellent.

You know ever since B&L came out, I always wondered who was playing slide on Hoodoo Blues. Cool to know it's Keith!! Thanks Dandelion!! smiling smiley

Date: April 29, 2019 18:29

Keith's slide playing for me has a real feel of the Delta ...it's not all sanitised and "nice"...like so many latter day players.

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: April 29, 2019 20:27

deardoctor
Little red rooster.
There you csn see- nothing special.
[youtu.be]

Nothing wrong with that.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: April 30, 2019 14:53

Nowadays slide players have technically brought the game up high. It started with the great Johnny Winter in the late 60's and now it's Derek Trucks. That said Keith has used the slide pretty well in the 60's and 70's. Brian Jones in the very early days was super great; what a touch with that bottleneck!

Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: April 30, 2019 16:22

I have never thought much of Johnny Winter. I've tried.
Derek Trucks IMO is in a whole other stratosphere from JW. Trucks is one of the finest guitarists of his generation. His slide playing is fantastic, fluid, imaginative. In most of his solos you hear the Indian Raga influence.

Date: April 30, 2019 16:34

rollmops
Nowadays slide players have technically brought the game up high. ...
Rockandroll,
Mops

True...but that's not always a good thing.

It's the same as with regular playing...some players are all technique, with very little feel.

They can do nice... but struggle with nasty .

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: April 30, 2019 17:12

You aren't alone at all in this.
Keith's slide is one of the most underrated and unappreciated pieces of his playing.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 30, 2019 20:16

Palace Revolution 2000
I have never thought much of Johnny Winter. I've tried.
Derek Trucks IMO is in a whole other stratosphere from JW. Trucks is one of the finest guitarists of his generation. His slide playing is fantastic, fluid, imaginative. In most of his solos you hear the Indian Raga influence.

Im probably the only one but I find Trucks' slide playing overbearing almost beyond manic.

Posted by: thegroove ()
Date: April 30, 2019 21:42

I agree with you nonfilter about Keiths slide-work on Let It Bleed album and wonder how he got that tone and echo effect on his guitars.Also what kind of guitars he used. This sound is kinda unique to the Stones recorded music

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: April 30, 2019 21:51

I love this video. It's a guitar player on YT playing Jigsaw Puzzle.

His theory is that Keith is learning to play slide during the BB sessions, but he's playing slide in him own original way.

Worth a listen IMHO.

[www.youtube.com]

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 30, 2019 22:10

thegroove
I agree with you nonfilter about Keiths slide-work on Let It Bleed album and wonder how he got that tone and echo effect on his guitars.Also what kind of guitars he used. This sound is kinda unique to the Stones recorded music

Glyn Johns nicked Jimmy Pages reverse echo sound he did on LZ's debut.

Date: April 30, 2019 22:59

Memo FromTurner. Who's that 2nd slide from 2:30 and onwards?

Memo from Turner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-30 23:10 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 30, 2019 23:39

TheflyingDutchman
Memo FromTurner. Who's that 2nd slide from 2:30 and onwards?

Memo from Turner.

The solo is by Russ Titelman. No slide, just bending strings etc.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1945
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home