Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: O.T.: Queen fans, what is your opinion??
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 11, 2020 21:56

Oh yeah, dude has pipes. Thats always been true. Unless he murdered your family, I'm not sure why anyone would deny that. Its just not Queen. But dude can definitely sing. Sure, its kinda Broadway style, but I like Broadway so I have no gripes with him. I just more couldn't care less about a Queen show without Freddie Mercury. I'd love to see Brian May playing a smaller place under his own name. Even without a Freddie/Lambert singer. Just play the music. Brian can sing, he has a great voice himself, and could play acoustic and electric and I'd love it. But hearing him try to redo Queen isn't super interesting to me.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: February 11, 2020 22:24

Yeah, agreed RollingFreak. Adam is very talented, but it's not Queen. It's not his fault, but it's just not Queen without Freddie. If they went out on the road under another name I could get behind it.

If I could see Brian and Roger, and preferably John on board...oh man. One of my all-time favorite Queen songs is "Dragon Attack" from the 'The Game' (and of course "Another One Bites The Dust" and "Play the Game" from the same album are no slouches either), and to hear all three of those guys jamming away on those in a smaller theater, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: February 12, 2020 01:26

queen broke up in 1991 when freddie died.

if you can replace freddie and be the same band you can replace anyone in history to do the same thing, its not possible, queen dont exist anymore, dont matter how good the replacement singer is.
i used to like queen but the more i got into the stones, pink floyd, the doors the more i realize queens rock music is quite bland at times, its loud and heavy but it aint no exile on main street or light my fire, i loved queens more subtle sounds, killer queen, dont stop me now, radio gaga etc.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: February 12, 2020 01:35

Queen without Mercury is like the Grateful Dead without Jerry, the Doors without Jim Morrison or Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers without Tom Petty. Would the Stones be the Stones without Mick? No. Not the same band, its fine if they tour but it is not the same band. Can they and should the remaining members tour and play the same music, sure if they want to but it is not the same thing.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: February 12, 2020 03:49

I've seen Q&AL live a couple of times now and - a bit like the recent Fleetwood Mac incarnation - it's great as long as you don't think about it too much. Brian still plays phenomenally well, his playing went off the rails a bit toward the end of the Paul Rodgers era but he's as good as ever these days. Go see one of rock's best guitarists playing one of rock's best songbooks, and don't let Roger's slow drumming or Adam's theatrics take away from it.

I saw a rig rundown with Spike, their keyboard player, the other day, where he revealed he uses a vocoder to thicken up the backing vocals. I was actually really pleased to hear this, as I'd long been convinced they were on tape. Nice to see they're not.

My only actual gripe with the show is the number of shortened versions they play. Granted, they get in almost 30 songs in the set, but quite a few are first verse + chorus + solo and then straight into another one.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 12, 2020 17:58

Well, since I resurrected this thread yesterday, it seems Brian lost his cool with an Australian news crew while signing autographs for fans:

[youtu.be]

[www.blabbermouth.net]

I get his frustration, but public figures have to be able to navigate these tricky waters tactfully. Putting hands on someone or their equipment is a bad look.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 12, 2020 18:09

Hmm. Think I would take Brian's side on this. I believe we're missing part of the reason why he lashed out. Also, it looks like he was truly upset to have to get physical.

Date: February 12, 2020 18:11

Brian went vegan for his News Years resolution...maybe he was just hankering for a good steak!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 12, 2020 20:17

Best wishes to the monarch

Date: February 12, 2020 20:17

I'm an ass. I didn't see a damn thing wrong with his response. He asks for it to be put away, the guy doesn't. Then he tries again, Brian says "@#$%& stop". So then the guy pulls out his phone, which they're now saying "its personal, he's a Queen fan! Its what any guy would do!" Well yeah, but also every guy doesn't also before that start by having a professional camera. If you're with the professional camera crew that Brian said to put away, you then don't get to pull out your personal phone, because understandably Brian is like "they're just gonna use cell phone footage for the news."

He was 100% right, asked them nice-ishly many times, until finally unloading, and unfortunately not going further with the guy. @#$%& them and Brian handled it properly, even apologizing to the other people afterwards for his actions. Class act. Yeah, you're a celebrity and that comes with the territory, but when they ask you nicely to do something for god sake what's the harm in listening? They're giving you their time when they don't have to.

Date: February 12, 2020 20:19

tommycharles
My only actual gripe with the show is the number of shortened versions they play. Granted, they get in almost 30 songs in the set, but quite a few are first verse + chorus + solo and then straight into another one.

I hate that too, but I think in fairness, Queen has always done that even with Freddie. It was a major thing they'd do in the past. I never really loved it.

Date: February 12, 2020 20:35

RollingFreak
I'm an ass. I didn't see a damn thing wrong with his response. He asks for it to be put away, the guy doesn't. Then he tries again, Brian says "@#$%& stop". So then the guy pulls out his phone, which they're now saying "its personal, he's a Queen fan! Its what any guy would do!" Well yeah, but also every guy doesn't also before that start by having a professional camera. If you're with the professional camera crew that Brian said to put away, you then don't get to pull out your personal phone, because understandably Brian is like "they're just gonna use cell phone footage for the news."

He was 100% right, asked them nice-ishly many times, until finally unloading, and unfortunately not going further with the guy. @#$%& them and Brian handled it properly, even apologizing to the other people afterwards for his actions. Class act. Yeah, you're a celebrity and that comes with the territory, but when they ask you nicely to do something for god sake what's the harm in listening? They're giving you their time when they don't have to.
In the grand scheme of things, Brian was in the right and he didn't REALLY do anything wrong...

...but he gave those idiots TMZ material, and he should be smarter than that. I know how infuriating those people can be, but you can't give them what they want.

Date: February 12, 2020 20:59

keefriff99
RollingFreak

In the grand scheme of things, Brian was in the right and he didn't REALLY do anything wrong...

...but he gave those idiots TMZ material, and he should be smarter than that. I know how infuriating those people can be, but you can't give them what they want.

True, but you explode sometimes. Who really cares if TMZ catches them in a weak moment. As long as he's not yelling something thats gonna get him in trouble it really means nothing. Just don't say like "this is why I hate gay people like you" or something and you're fine.

floodonthepage
If I could see Brian and Roger, and preferably John on board...oh man. One of my all-time favorite Queen songs is "Dragon Attack" from the 'The Game' (and of course "Another One Bites The Dust" and "Play the Game" from the same album are no slouches either), and to hear all three of those guys jamming away on those in a smaller theater, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Your lips to God's ears. John has basically retired from being a human being lol:

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

And short video of him: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: February 13, 2020 13:31

RollingFreak
colonial
I'm going to see Queen in February I just hope the concert is better than that awful Bohemian Rhapsody movie I gave the DVD away,it was crap

FYI, that response right there is most people. Going to see QUEEN. Not Queen+Adam Lambert, not Brian May (which is really what you're going to see). They, in their minds, think they are going to QUEEN. And that to me, feels wrong and strange. Even though if they enjoy it I won't stop them obviously. I just don't think its correct at all.

It's advertised as Queen + Adam Lambert. Everyone knows what they're getting and we all understand how deeply and irrevocably intertwined Freddie Mercury is with Queen. I'll bet people would still go and see our boys if Mick was replaced?

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: February 13, 2020 15:18

i saw a queen tribute band back in 1992, they were great, but they never called theirselves queen and never pretended they were queen, the name queen shouldnever be used in relation to any music band, queen are finished and have been for a long time.

Date: February 13, 2020 15:38

Father Ted
RollingFreak
colonial
I'm going to see Queen in February I just hope the concert is better than that awful Bohemian Rhapsody movie I gave the DVD away,it was crap

FYI, that response right there is most people. Going to see QUEEN. Not Queen+Adam Lambert, not Brian May (which is really what you're going to see). They, in their minds, think they are going to QUEEN. And that to me, feels wrong and strange. Even though if they enjoy it I won't stop them obviously. I just don't think its correct at all.

It's advertised as Queen + Adam Lambert. Everyone knows what they're getting and we all understand how deeply and irrevocably intertwined Freddie Mercury is with Queen. I'll bet people would still go and see our boys if Mick was replaced?
Well, I don't know about the whole "Mick being replaced thing", but I agree with you otherwise.

Freddie is dead...we all know it. Queen isn't coming back...this is Queen + Adam Lambert. Honestly, just adding "+ Adam Lambert" to their name is more than almost any other band does when a crucial member is missing.

I don't need 20 people in a row telling me that it isn't Queen without Freddie. I simply posted a video because I was extremely impressed with Lambert's pipes while covering Whole Lotta Love.

Date: February 13, 2020 18:44

I also thought no way this Queen incarnation could be anything great. Saw them in 2015 and changed my opinion. In 2017 it was hard for me to say and still is... that it was better than The Stones. Believe me this pains me more than you reading it, and I'm not a huge Queen fan compared to The Stones, not even close. If anyone here sort of likes them I recommend you get out there and see it for yourselves. I suspect you won't be disappointed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-13 18:46 by frankotero.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: February 13, 2020 18:53

"I never got Queen or understood the attraction. If I was a spy/secret agent or high ranking government official and was captured by any of my sworn enemies or evil doers. All they would have to do is lock me in a room play Queen at an excessive volume for an hour or so and I would give up all the Top Secret information they wanted. I would rat out all my friends and colleagues I would even give up the codes to the Nukes.

Since I am not a niether of the above and just an insignificant nobody I will put it in simpler terms. I would rather have a Root Canal performed with an oyster fork than listen to Queen because the pain is on the same level."

Makes it 2 of us mate!smileys with beer

Date: February 13, 2020 21:48

grinning smiley

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: February 13, 2020 22:07

colonial

Saw Queen on Monday it was ok I suppose loved their stage design, frontman outfits, Led Zeppelin cover and merchandise got a cool poster

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Date: February 16, 2020 18:04

Here's a good quality video of the new Queen for those interested. [www.youtube.com]

Date: February 16, 2020 18:26

RollingFreak
colonial

so roger taylor is just ignored by you?

OT: Queen The Game 40th Anniversary
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 1, 2020 01:34

Not a big Queen fan, I know they are a lot bigger in Europe than US/Canada, but this album was huge, and came out 40 years ago today. John Deacon's bass on Dragon Attack and Another One Bites The Dust! Crazy Little Thing Called Love was all over the radio and I think my favourite song on it might be Rock It (Prime Jive). Had the album then bought the CD then bought the MFSL Gold CD back in the late 80s. Can't believe how fast time flys!

Re: OT: Queen The Game 40th Anniversary
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 1, 2020 11:54

One of my LEAST fave Queen records. In fact after A Day at the Races they quickly went downhill. I give them their showmanship and musicianship, but they became too camp and vaudevillian for me.

Rod

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 1, 2020 13:11

This album was huge and in my neck of the woods and received major air time on AOR radio .This album was everywhere and was very well liked myself included .

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: July 2, 2020 16:16

Their last good album imo.

Re: OT: Queen
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 3, 2020 23:00

Queen - Studio Collection - 18LP Coloured Vinyl Box (Re-issue, 17-Jul-2020) - [www.SuperDeluxeEdition.com] :

Re: OT: Queen talks
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 4, 2020 14:34

Of course it isn't Queen without Freddie, and nobody is pretending that it is, but if the remaining members of the band want to tour and play that music, they can't do it without a singer.

I've seen the Adam Lambert version live, and it works as well as it could in the circumstances: I.e. it's a very enjoyable show: Adam does not try to do a Freddie impersonation but sings the songs (excellently) as himself. I don't begrudge Brian May and friends the chance to play again. But we have lost what we've lost.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: July 6, 2020 20:11

Listened to The Game straight through just now, as it was 40 years old last week. Sonically, it shares a lot with News Of the World, insofar as it eschews studio excess and focuses on the sound of the 4 of them playing together.

But in terms of the songs themselves, The Game is very much a singles album. The ones you know (Play The Game, Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Another One Bites The Dust, Save Me) are the good ones. There are a couple of lesser known gems (Dragon Attack, Sail Away Sweet Sister), but the lows - especially Need Your Loving Tonight and Rock It - are really, really bad.

This record was arguably their peak as a live band, and the Game songs fit in very well on tour, but as a record itself, it doesn't offer much beyond the tracks you'd find on a greatest hits collection.

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: July 7, 2020 06:19

tommycharles
Listened to The Game straight through just now, as it was 40 years old last week. Sonically, it shares a lot with News Of the World, insofar as it eschews studio excess and focuses on the sound of the 4 of them playing together.

But in terms of the songs themselves, The Game is very much a singles album. The ones you know (Play The Game, Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Another One Bites The Dust, Save Me) are the good ones. There are a couple of lesser known gems (Dragon Attack, Sail Away Sweet Sister), but the lows - especially Need Your Loving Tonight and Rock It - are really, really bad.

This record was arguably their peak as a live band, and the Game songs fit in very well on tour, but as a record itself, it doesn't offer much beyond the tracks you'd find on a greatest hits collection.

I love Need Your Loving Tonight and especially Rock It (Prime Jive)

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1454
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home