Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: O.T.: Queen fans, what is your opinion??
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 28, 2019 00:55

Ok, not a hill I want to die on. I'll retreat. Obviously I didn't mean Steve Gaines either but he was one album. He was amazing, but I assumed that was obvious. Enough of the band to fill every open position besides lead singer. Didn't seem exploitive to continue to tour with everyone but Gaines and Ronnie, whereas it actually does seem exploitive to tour as Queen without Freddie Mercury. Thats literally for the money. Skynyrd there were enough people there that I was just saying you could reasonably understand that due to the abrupt end they wanted to carry on their legacy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-28 00:57 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 28, 2019 01:12

Two things I just learned while wading through the post-Skynyrd saga ...

Hughie Thomasson - original vocalist and guitar player of The Outlaws (Green Grass and High Tides )- was actually a member of Lynyrd Skynyrd from '96-2005 until he quit and reformed the Outlaws!
And then there's John Mellencamps drummer Kenny Aronoff who was a member of Lynyrd Skynyrd in 1999....great drummer, but....

The whole thing's a quagmire really.

Date: April 28, 2019 02:51

Hairball

Hughie Thomasson - original vocalist and guitar player of The Outlaws (Green Grass and High Tides )- was actually a member of Lynyrd Skynyrd from '96-2005 until he quit and reformed the Outlaws!
And then there's John Mellencamps drummer Kenny Aronoff who was a member of Lynyrd Skynyrd in 1999....great drummer, but....

hughie and ricky medlocke , former member of blackfoot and part of skynyrds early years, were brought in about the same time

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 28, 2019 05:34

keefriffhard4life
Hairball

hughie and ricky medlocke , former member of blackfoot and part of skynyrds early years, were brought in about the same time

I knew about Ricky Medlocke and he's still a member - I saw him, Ronnie's little bro, and Gary Rossington give a fairly recent interview to Dan Rather on AXS TV.

As for Queen - wondering who plays bass with them these days....
Also, wondering if they'll ever record some new studio material with Adam Lambert - might give them a bit more legitimacy if they would.

Posted by: 5stringTele ()
Date: April 30, 2019 03:12

Special airing right now (8-10 EDT) on ABC about Queen and Queen + Adam Lambert. A must-watch for Queen fans.

If Queen + Adam Lambert is such a godawful insult to music, why did their upcoming tour sell out in almost every city?

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 30, 2019 03:44

queen were good, preferred the subtle sounds to the heavy rock, but they are no where near the stones level. never knew they were still ongoing, its been nearly 28 years since freddy died.

queen is just not queen without freddy, just like the rolling stones cannot be the rolling stones without jagger.

maybe replacing a lead singer works for other groups but for me it dosent or wont work with bands like queen, stones, u2, the who, the doors. its not like your replacing a cooker.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: April 30, 2019 05:02

With Lambert this is a celebration of Queens music. Some are these songs are just to good just to be viewed on YouTube from years ago. The songs are timeless and should be played live again.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 30, 2019 07:40

I think their fans are mostly ok

Date: April 30, 2019 07:45

I really don't know enough of them; I liked Keep Yourself Alive from the first one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-30 11:41 by hopkins.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: April 30, 2019 07:59

My opinion of Queen? I think it is a rock band for people who like Yes.

Date: April 30, 2019 10:34

Carnaby
My opinion of Queen? I think it is a rock band for people who like Yes.

I like Yes, but only a few songs by Queen, so...

Love Freddie's voice and phrasing, though.

Posted by: carouslambra ()
Date: April 30, 2019 11:26

Turn the question around....would you see the Stones without Mick ? I wouldn't.

To join the rest of the debate Queen were my favourite band '77-80, before the Stones took over my life. I saw them a dozen or so times and they were truly amazing. Freddy was so unique he could never be replaced. The current incarnation of the band is nothing more than vamped up cover band. Yes I understand Brian and Roger want to play live and keep the name alive and if you pay to see it you know what your'e getting....but for me no never.

Date: April 30, 2019 17:35

i am still getting tired of people saying they are trying to replace mercury. no they aren't hence they let you know you are seeing whats left of queen + some other person (lambert, rodgers, etc). if they were trying to replace mercury it would be billed simply as queen.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 30, 2019 17:54

I liked Queen in their early days, when they were essentially a Glam Rock band with a bit more substance than most.

Then they got far too "arty-farty" for me grinning smiley

Date: April 30, 2019 19:14

carouslambra
Turn the question around....would you see the Stones without Mick ? I wouldn't.

To join the rest of the debate Queen were my favourite band '77-80, before the Stones took over my life. I saw them a dozen or so times and they were truly amazing. Freddy was so unique he could never be replaced. The current incarnation of the band is nothing more than vamped up cover band. Yes I understand Brian and Roger want to play live and keep the name alive and if you pay to see it you know what your'e getting....but for me no never.

possibly and generally speaking , not super fans , fans at the time
who saw Barbarians with passion loved it, but relative to The Stones, of course,
it was not significant commercially speaking. Nor near.
Argument could be made than many fans didn't come to see the Mick band doing
the big Stones hits with a very similar set up, but not the roll.
so, it's that right hand of Keith, and all that...
...charlie and bill stuff etc....

not that i disagree particularly, but that comes to mind....

they could have called it fake stones either way,
they were both working off the imprimatur and some of the same material.
same with Talk is Cheap etc...and it continues with Mick's solo releases
pretty recently. etc...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-30 19:17 by hopkins.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 1, 2019 01:36

Adam Lambert has said there was only ONE Freddie Mercury and he would never dare suggest he is a replacement...he is simply filling in, and doing a damn good job I might add and allowing the music of Queen to be enjoyed by fans around the world. Last night the program called " Show Must Go On" aired here in the USA on prime time and it was great! It was a collection of Freddie interviews, live footage of Queen on stage, and parts from the film " Bohemian Rhapsody", very well woven together so you got the flavor of what a Queen show was like. I never saw the live, I wish I had now! And I disagree strongly with the person who trashed the movie " Bohemian Rhapsody"....it had me in tears, very moving, especially showing Freddie in his last days. Brian May articulated how horrible and traumatic it was for the band when Freddie died..they were in a fog for a very long time and they seem thankful for Adam Lambert for allowing them to do what they love doing the most...playing the music of Queen again.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 1, 2019 02:46

OK...let's up the ante.

Is Fleetwood Mac, Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green replacing Lindsay Buckingham?

Date: May 1, 2019 02:47

...and to answer the question, no, Queen doesn't include Lambert, not that there's anything wrong with him.

It's a way for the band and the fans to get close to the original lineup, but there is no comparison.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 1, 2019 04:14

Ok, so is Fleetwood Mac still The Mac without Lindsay Buckingham and with Crowded House guitarist Neil Finn and Mike Campbell in his place? Guess it took 2 guys to replace Lindsay!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-01 04:17 by mickschix.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: May 1, 2019 05:14

Lambert sings for Queen not with Queen

Date: May 1, 2019 06:06

mickschix
Ok, so is Fleetwood Mac still The Mac without Lindsay Buckingham and with Crowded House guitarist Neil Finn and Mike Campbell in his place? Guess it took 2 guys to replace Lindsay!

its not being billed at fleetwood mac+neil finn and mike campbell though

Date: May 1, 2019 06:35

keefriffhard4life
mickschix

Also everyone with a brain knows its not Fleetwood Mac without Lindsey. It wouldn't be Fleetwood Mac without Stevie. The Eagles aren't the Eagles without Glenn Frey. Its all very obvious. Its just up to the general public how much they truly just want to see a name vs. an actual band. Sometimes you miss the boat. Seems a lot of people these days can't accept it. More power to the artists for taking advantage of them. Why the hell wouldn't you if its so easy?

Date: May 1, 2019 16:56

RollingFreak
keefriffhard4life
mickschix

Also everyone with a brain knows its not Fleetwood Mac without Lindsey. It wouldn't be Fleetwood Mac without Stevie. The Eagles aren't the Eagles without Glenn Frey. Its all very obvious. Its just up to the general public how much they truly just want to see a name vs. an actual band. Sometimes you miss the boat. Seems a lot of people these days can't accept it. More power to the artists for taking advantage of them. Why the hell wouldn't you if its so easy?

my point was queen lets you know a non member of queen is up on stage for whatever reason. this time it lambert but before it was Paul Rodgers. at least queen is more upfront that there is someone up there

Date: May 1, 2019 17:06

Fair.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 1, 2019 23:41

RollingFreak

Funny.

It's not Fleetwood Mac without Peter Green.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-01 23:50 by His Majesty.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: May 2, 2019 00:07

in the early days the rolling stones were sometimes billed as mick jagger and the rolling stones. which sort of hints there might be 2 jaggers.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 2, 2019 00:35

buttons67
in the early days the rolling stones were sometimes billed as mick jagger and the rolling stones. which sort of hints there might be 2 jaggers.

Just the venue using his name as he was known there.

Date: May 2, 2019 00:42

mickschix
who cares about those nerds...Peter Green was the original guitarist.

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: May 2, 2019 02:41

Hello,

in my case I grow up with Queen and Kiss, so Freddie is like part of my family, the same with Brian May, Deacon and Taylor, so Queen without Freddie is a joke. I prefer watching their seventies DVD bootlegs.

Bye
Fernando

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 11, 2020 21:31

Queen + Adam Lambert covered Whole Lotta Love in NZ yesterday:

Queen + Adam Lambert - Whole Lotta Love

I'm sure a lot of you won't like this, but that dude can SING.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1842
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home