Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Brian Jones - History of his guitar
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 29, 2019 14:00

georgie48
The owner of Brian's Harmony Stratotone is one of three sons of a dentist named Wilson, who was a friend of Eric Easton. Eric arranged new instruments for the Stones in 1964 and took "the old stuff". He gave Brian's guitar to the dentist as a return of favor. The youngest son of the dentist "inherited" the guitar.

The now previous owner. smiling smiley

Ali Zayeri won it in an auction.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 29, 2019 14:14

His Majesty
What Mathijs said there is the essentially right.

The gear that was specifically Brian's...

Mega loaded collector Ali Zayeri owns the Harmony Stratotone and loaned it out for Exhibitionism.

Who has Brian's Harmony acoustic (used during 1963 - early 1964) is unknown to general public.

Who has Brian's Gretsch Double Anniversary is unknown to general public.

The Hard Rock Cafe owns Brian's teardrop Vox.

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame displayed Brian's first acoustic dulcimer used on Aftermath. Credited to an anonymous contributor.

Brian had a total of 4 Vox Bijou/electric dulcimers. The first was stolen. The last one is still owned by the stones and can be seen at Exhibitionism. The where about of the other 2 is unknown to general public.

Brian's Mellotron, which he bought while he was living at Courtfield Road, travelled with him to Cotchford and was at his parents home for sometime following his death. Where it went after that is unknown to general public.

Bill still 'owns' Brian's Gibson Les Paul goldtop.

More generally...

The stones still have both of the non reverse Firebirds Brian played.

The stones still own and use the Hummingbird's from 60's.

The Firebird given to Peter Swales must be the reverse Firebird VII.

Not sure what happened to the J200 shown in use during 1968.

As far as I know, the Stones (Keith/Brian) used two reverse FB's VII. Keith's FB, which was used on Satisfaction, was given to Dave Hassinger, and later stolen from the studio never to be seen again. Brian's reverse FB has been used extensively in the 70's by various owners, and is now in the hands of a collector.

The non reverse FB's: Brian's Reverse FB III (with black P90's) is now in the hands of collector Ali Zayeri. Brian's FB VII (gold FB pickups) is now owned by Keith.

The 1964 blonde Hummingbird extensively used from 1968 - 1972 was owned by Keith until the year 2000 when he gave it to Alan Clayton, who still uses it. It is unknown to me whether this is the same guitar that was at the exhibition, where Jagger claimed he wrote Dead Flowers on it.I am not fully confident the sunburst Hummingbirds they used until the mid 1970's are the ones they still use. They might still have them, but the ones Jagger uses all look more clean to me.

The SJ200 Brian played was actually owned by Jagger, given to John Phillips in the mid 1970's and disappeared ever since.

Last -it has always been claimed by Jones adapts that all Jones's clothes and possessions were burned and stolen from his house. This to show he must have been murdered. Fact is that all of his possessions (clothing, instruments, letters) where given to his parents, and much of his clothing to Suki Potier. Both Jones's family and Suki's sister Sally and daughter Sarah have been selling Jones's possessions for the last 10 years or so to several rich collectors.

Mathijs

Date: April 29, 2019 14:17

snoopy2
.. "None of this is to deny he had problems. He obviously did. It's just to show that the story is far more nuanced than the quick fire dismissive replies in interviews suggest" ..

You don't know how much I enjoyed reading your last post..

smileys with beer

Date: April 29, 2019 14:23

Mathijs

The non reverse FB's: Brian's Reverse FB III (with black P90's) is now in the hands of collector Ali Zayeri. Brian's FB VII (gold FB pickups) is now owned by Keith.

The stones/Keith still have both. The P90 NRF was on display at Exhibitionism during first few months, but was pulled from display for some reason.

The NRF with P90's Ali has is not the one Brian is shown playing in UK 1966 tour and later with Keith in IORR promo. I think Ali has been ripped off there. Not the first time he's bought someone thinking it was Brian's when it wasn't.

This is the stones P90 NRF. The distinctive grain behind the bridge is visible in 66 and 74 photos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-29 14:32 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 29, 2019 14:29

Mathijs
[
The SJ200 Brian played was actually owned by Jagger, given to John Phillips in the mid 1970's and disappeared ever since.

Mathijs

Was that the '60s one, with the TOM bridge ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-29 14:29 by Spud.

Date: April 29, 2019 14:37

His Majesty
Mathijs

The stones/Keith still have both. The P90 NRF was on display at Exhibitionism during first few months, but was pulled from display for some reason.

The NRF with P90's Ali has is not the one Brian is shown playing in UK 1966 tour and later with Keith in IORR promo. I think Ali has been ripped off there. Not the first time he's bought someone thinking it was Brian's when it wasn't.

This is the stones P90 NRF. The distinctive grain behind the bridge is visible in 66 and 74 photos.

This is what I thought: Brian had 3 NRFB's: one with gold pickups, two with P90's. The one with gold pickups is now with Keith. One with P90's was adjusted by Ted Newman Jones, where the tremelo was removed and a stop tail installed, used on the IORR video. I did not know this one is still with the Stones. Was this one at the exhibition?

The second one with P90's is with Ali Zayeri.

Mathijs

Date: April 29, 2019 14:41

There's nothing showing Brian with another P90 NRF.

Just this one, which is the same as the one posted above. It was on display at Exhibitionism for a short while, but was removed from display for some reason.

Ali bought his 'Brian Jones' NRF from store in Denmark Street. That makes me think it was Music Ground, all round crooks and sellers of much dubious gear.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-29 14:48 by His Majesty.

Date: April 29, 2019 14:49

His Majesty
There's nothing showing Brian with another P90 NRF.

Just this one, which is the same as the one posted above. It was on display at Exhibitionism for a short while, but was removed from display for some reason.

So Brian had only ONE P90 FB, is that what you're saying?

That would actually mean one of my problems I had with Ali's FB is solved -Ali's FB had more red in the burst color than I recognized, and Ali's had plastic tuning buttons which I did not recall with Brian's.

Mathijs

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 29, 2019 14:50

Interesting to read the reference to Brian's possessions and what may or may not have happened to them.
All the biographies as far as I am aware repeat the same tale about the 'bonfire'. Ton Keylock being the instigator and The Jones family in agreement. I don't think Anna Wholin disputes the story either.
Was there a bonfire, but just containing items that might have been embarrassing (or illegal)? The story never made much sense anyway.
I wonder if the Stones organisation had any dialogue with Brian's sister in their planning for Exhibitionism?

Date: April 29, 2019 14:53

Better to say I have never seen any photo or footage of Brian with another P90 NRF. The One Ali has is not the one Brian is shown playing during 1966 UK tour.

Ali bought his 'Brian Jones' NRF from store in Denmark Street. That makes me think it was Music Ground, all round crooks and sellers of much dubious gear.

Date: April 29, 2019 15:09

His Majesty

I agree -the grain pattern behind the bridge is the same.

Mathijs

Date: April 29, 2019 15:17

Going back to the hummingbirds. Mick's sunburst he uses now does look a bit too clean to be the same ones from 60's.

The natural hummingbird he uses isn't the one shown in 69 - 71?

Date: April 29, 2019 16:44

His Majesty

It is not clear to me. As far as I have always assumed they had ONE natural hummingbird. The first pic I have of it is actually Brian playing it in (I believe) late 1968 or early 1969. It then shows up again at Nellcote in the hands of Keith Richards, who uses it sparingly on the 1972 tour, and during the first 2 shows of the European 1973 tour. Then Jagger is seen playing it last in 1974 on a hotel room where he is interviewed. It disappeared until the late 1990's, when it was found at a lost and found at an airport. I always assumed this is the same guitar that is being used quite a lot by since the last 10 years or so, and which is the guitar at the exhibition. The only difference I could see was that the plastic TOM bridge was replaced by a fixed one.

But then there is this statement and a short clip on facebook, of Alan Clayton, stating he got the Hummingbird from Keith while working together at Redlands in 2000. I couldn't identify the guitar, I only had a slight feeling the peg head was a little wider than that of a 1963/1964 one.

Mathijs

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: April 30, 2019 16:32

His Majesty
georgie48
The owner of Brian's Harmony Stratotone is one of three sons of a dentist named Wilson, who was a friend of Eric Easton. Eric arranged new instruments for the Stones in 1964 and took "the old stuff". He gave Brian's guitar to the dentist as a return of favor. The youngest son of the dentist "inherited" the guitar.

Wow! Any price known?

Date: April 30, 2019 17:47

Mathijs
His Majesty

It is not clear to me. As far as I have always assumed they had ONE natural hummingbird. The first pic I have of it is actually Brian playing it in (I believe) late 1968 or early 1969. It then shows up again at Nellcote in the hands of Keith Richards, who uses it sparingly on the 1972 tour, and during the first 2 shows of the European 1973 tour. Then Jagger is seen playing it last in 1974 on a hotel room where he is interviewed. It disappeared until the late 1990's, when it was found at a lost and found at an airport. I always assumed this is the same guitar that is being used quite a lot by since the last 10 years or so, and which is the guitar at the exhibition. The only difference I could see was that the plastic TOM bridge was replaced by a fixed one.

But then there is this statement and a short clip on facebook, of Alan Clayton, stating he got the Hummingbird from Keith while working together at Redlands in 2000. I couldn't identify the guitar, I only had a slight feeling the peg head was a little wider than that of a 1963/1964 one.

Mathijs

The natural Hummingbird in 1971 seems to match with the exhibitionism guitar.

Date: April 30, 2019 18:53

georgie48
His Majesty
georgie48

Wow! Any price known?

Price: $130,824 (£79,250)

Source: [newatlas.com]

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: May 1, 2019 08:32

His Majesty
georgie48
His Majesty
georgie48

Wow! Any price known?

Price: $130,824 (£79,250)

Source: [newatlas.com]

WOW! So he finally got where he was hoping for when I had contact with him in 2000 ... a Mercedes Benz. Maybe he even got himself a much nicer car ... grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1842
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home