Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What Stones Songs Will Be Covered At Jazzfest?
Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: April 24, 2019 02:27

Thanks to the Stones, the 50th Anniversary edition of New Orleans Jazzfest will be 8 days this year, with an added day this Thursday, the first weekend.

Of course, the Stones will regrettably not be there, but I suspect that more than a few artists will be making a nod to what may have been by covering a song or two.

Irma Thomas doing "Time Is On My Side" is a given. I wouldn't mind seeing Steve Earle play "Honky Tonk Women". Ivan Neville's Dumpstafunk could do a great version of "(Don't Wanna Be Your) Slave". Leon Bridges could pull off "Midnight Rambler". Widespread Panic will probably play a medley of some sort. Perhaps if they get enough covers, some sort of "The Best Of The Rolling Stones At Jazzfest" tribute compilation could be released.

Which performers from this year's festival would you like to see cover a Stones song, and which tunes?

Re: What Stones Songs Will Be Covered At Jazzfest?
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 24, 2019 02:50

Lucinda Williams does a great YCAGWYW.
She also will likely do a club show during the festival.. definitely a great time.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 24, 2019 02:55

Javadave
Thanks to the Stones, the 50th Anniversary edition of New Orleans Jazzfest will be 8 days this year, with an added day this Thursday, the first weekend.

Of course, the Stones will regrettably not be there, but I suspect that more than a few artists will be making a nod to what may have been by covering a song or two.

Irma Thomas doing "Time Is On My Side" is a given. I wouldn't mind seeing Steve Earle play "Honky Tonk Women". Ivan Neville's Dumpstafunk could do a great version of "(Don't Wanna Be Your) Slave". Leon Bridges could pull off "Midnight Rambler". Widespread Panic will probably play a medley of some sort. Perhaps if they get enough covers, some sort of "The Best Of The Rolling Stones At Jazzfest" tribute compilation could be released.

Which performers from this year's festival would you like to see cover a Stones song, and which tunes?

First off, Time Is On My Side is not a Stones song, seeing that Irma covered it before the Stones did, yet alone they didn't write it.

Second of all, Slave is not called (Don't Wanna Be Your) Slave, just as Undercover Of The Night is not Undercover (Of The Night).

I would be surprised if anyone does any Stones songs.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 24, 2019 03:23

Have they announced who's replacing
Fleetwood Mac now that they've also cancelled

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 24, 2019 03:37

Someone should play Miss You and dedicate it to the Stones...

Posted by: usetobesampeg ()
Date: April 24, 2019 05:17

Samantha Fish has been doing "Doo Doo Doo Doo Heartbreaker" so I'm guessing that will be played,

Posted by: 1985jayer ()
Date: April 24, 2019 06:28

I am flying down next Wednesday night and staying for 3 nights in NOLA, I will report back on any Stones related songs. They pushed back the set times so all stages end at same time like normal, Widespread Panic replaced Fleetwood Mac on Acura Stage, long time Jazz Fest band with a big following down there. Wearing stones gear as a tribute also, should be a blast in NOLA.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 24, 2019 09:39

Rockman
Have they announced who's replacing
Fleetwood Mac now that they've also cancelled

Widespread Panic.

I know, not quite in the same league . .

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: April 24, 2019 10:47

Web site has TOM JONES! as top of the bill, was he booked on the same day as the stones?

pretty sure old tom used to include Honkytonk women in his set back in the 80's

Sir Tom gives it the full vegas treatment....this will make you smile and gringegrinning smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: April 24, 2019 11:42

I’m going for the 2nd weekend. To see The Stones that aren’t there...

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 24, 2019 23:16

Widespread Panic have previously done YCAGWYW

Date: April 29, 2019 18:50

I caught Irma Thomas' set yesterday at Jazzfest. She performed "Time Is On My Side", and afterwards wished Mick a full and speedy recovery. She also mentioned that she released her version first. Her band was first-rate with a 4-piece horn section. Loved their renditions of "Ruler Of My Heart", "It's Raining In My Heart" and a Second Line medley that included "Hey Pocky Way" and "Iko-Iko".

A little earlier in the day, I caught Irma and Bonnie Raitt sitting in for a tribute to Dave Bartholomew and Fats Domino, had some Shrimp and Okra Gumbo and checked out some of the Arts & Crafts exhibits before circling back to the Acura Stage for Irma's set.

They had expanded the VIP area in front of the stage from when I attended the Fest in 2017, perhaps to accomadate the Stones? It was still pretty easy to get close to the stage on the far right side if you walked around the racetrack.

Bonnie played a great set. Another tight band. She had sit-ins from Ivan Neville to pair with her own fine keyboardist Jon Cleary, and had Boz Scaggs join her and Cleary for a wonderful, stripped down cover of Allen Toussaint's "What Do You Want The Girl To Do".

The weather was great, just about 80 degrees with mostly sunny skies and an intermittent breeze, keeping the humidity low. The Fairgrounds are quite large, so pleasant weather made the walking easier.

I ducked into the Blues and Gospel tents, catching a particularly rousing group in the Gospel Tent, took in some of the Treme Brass Band's set in the Economy Tent, and got a dozen Oysters on the half shell in the Pavilion Courtyard before heading back to the Acura stage to see Van Morrison.

The crowd was much more packed in for Van's headlining set, but I was still able to get pretty close on the right side. I stayed for versions of "I've Got My Mojo Working" and "Days Like This". Van played saxophone on the latter, which he handled well, but afterwards he seemed a little under the weather.

I decided to head over to the Jazz Tent for the Marsalis Family Reunion, featuring Ellis Marsalis and his sons Wynton, Branford, Delfeayo and Jason, who played an excellent Hard-Bop set. Ellis has been a musical mentor and educator for years in New Orleans, and to emphasize this, they were joined by three of his very young students on trumpet, alto and tenor saxophones, and one young blind girl on jazz vocals who all delivered the goods and got standing ovations. It was a nice way to end a full day of music.

Went to the Howling Wolf club Saturday night to see Big Sam's Funky Nation, Rebirth Brass Band, and a Led Zeppelin tribute set from Bonerama who were joined by a dynamite vocalist named Elise Testone who has a great set of pipes and nailed the Robert Plant parts.

I'm here through Friday and am looking forward to catching a lot more music and savoring the food, culture and spirit of New Orleans, and digging for R&B and Blues records to take back home.

The weather forecast for this Thursday, when the Stones had been scheduled is calling for rain, which at best makes for a muddy Fairgrounds and at worse a cancellation of the festivities, so perhaps it's all for the best things panned out the way they did. Getting Mick back to full health is more important, and there will be no lack of great music at this festival.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: April 29, 2019 20:21

Revivalists did Time is on my Side

[youtu.be]

[www.jambase.com]

Date: April 29, 2019 21:13

I remembered something else Irma Thomas mentioned when she was sending her well wishes to Mick. She said that one other thing they shared besides the song is that they both have since had long careers, and that time has truly been on both of their sides.

Date: April 29, 2019 21:20

Javadave
I remembered something else Irma Thomas mentioned when she was sending her well wishes to Mick. She said that one other thing they shared besides the song is that they both have since had long careers, and that time has truly been on both of their sides.

[www.theadvocate.com]

Date: April 30, 2019 10:49

Thanks for posting that link, Lien, enjoyed reading that.

While Jazzfest is on a hiatus until Thursday, there is still a lot of live music going on around town. I caught Cyrille Neville and Anders Osborne's in-store performances at the Louisiana Music Factory, then made my way to Chickie Wah-Wah for a mostly acoustic jam session hosted by Papa Mali with his guests Alvin Yougblood Hart, Chris Jacobs and electric bassist Bobby Vega. Alvin Youngblood Hart led the group in an excellent cover of the Stones "Child Of The Moon".

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: April 30, 2019 11:21

Maybee some of Keith,s jazz ballads?

Date: May 3, 2019 14:00

Dumpstaphunk played Can't you hear me knockin'

Ivan Neville’s Dumpstaphunk covered the Stones’ “Can’t You Hear Me Knocking” at the Acura Stage in the slot before the Stones were originally scheduled to play. They were joined by Karl Denson, who is the real Rolling Stones’ touring saxophonist.

[youtu.be]

[livemusicblog.com]

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: May 3, 2019 14:47

Karl Denson, Tumbling Dice, April 26 of 2019

[www.facebook.com]

[youtu.be]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-03 14:50 by Christiaan.

Date: May 3, 2019 14:52

Oh my God, I hope this will not be the pace the Stones will play the song after Mick’s recovery!!

Date: May 3, 2019 14:53

Christiaan
Karl Denson, Tumbling Dice, April 26 of 2019

[www.facebook.com]

[youtu.be]

Oh my God, I hope this will not be the pace the Stones will play the song after Mick’s recovery!!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 3, 2019 16:51

ukcal
Web site has TOM JONES! as top of the bill, was he booked on the same day as the stones?

pretty sure old tom used to include Honkytonk women in his set back in the 80's

Sir Tom gives it the full vegas treatment....this will make you smile and gringegrinning smiley

[www.youtube.com]

saw Tom in Vegas (MGM?) in the late 90s. He was pretty damn good actually.

Date: May 3, 2019 17:11

Dumpstaphunk's set was a lot of fun. The CYHMK was a highlight, as were the two songs they had Taz Niederauer sit in on. Ivan has a very tight, and seriously funky band.

I did catch the first two songs of Tom Jones set, which were fine, but split to catch Mavis Staples' set in the Blues Tent, which featured a guest appearance from Trombone Shorty, and was a nice way to cap my 2019 Jazzfest.

To amuse myself, I kept count of how many Stones t-shirts I saw on the Fairgrounds yesterday, finishing with 10.

I fly back to Seattle later today. It's been a good week here with great, rain-free weather, tasty food, and a ridiculous buffet of music. I scored about 300 45's between the Louisiana Music Factory and Euclid Records in the Bywater, which are both pretty ripe with Soul, New Orleans R&B, Blues and other rarities.

I hope the Jazzfest can perpetuate itself for another 50 years. It was Locals Thursday yesterday (Louisiana residents got in for $50 instead of $85), and many of them were in attendance, but not many kids were playing hooky. The crowd has an aging frat-boy vibe, and it will be interesting to see if the Millenial Generation can connect with the Roots Music that is at the core of this festival as the years go by.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-03 17:13 by Javadave.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 3, 2019 17:44

Even thought it wasn’t Rolling Stones Day, several bands worked Stones’ songs into their sets.
Cowboy Mouth, for example, blasted out "Honky Tonk Woman'' to start the day on the Acura Stage.

from Not-Rolling-Stones Day

"CYHMK" DumpstaFunk and Guest Jazz Fest
Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: May 6, 2019 21:13

Nice little tribute.

[www.youtube.com]

Re: "CYHMK" DumpstaFunk and Guest Jazz Fest
Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: May 6, 2019 21:57

good stuff, thanks for posting.

Date: May 6, 2019 22:17

Not bad at all. Young blood.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 6, 2019 22:39

Nice try

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: May 7, 2019 01:16

It was so hot and humid during this set.
I was soaked in sweat.
I think Mick would have melted if they actually played this day.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 7, 2019 02:41

spikenyc
It was so hot and humid during this set.
I was soaked in sweat.
I think Mick would have melted if they actually played this day.

It wasn't hot out - or humid. It was one of the coldest Jazz Fests I've been to in years.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1973
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home