Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Best Stones songs that don’t sound like the Stones - Pitchfork
Posted by: keefgotsoul ()
Date: April 22, 2019 19:40

[pitchfork.com]

Interesting list.

Re: Best Stones songs that don’t sound like the Stones - Pitchfork
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 22, 2019 19:56

Those all sound like Stones songs to me, but perhaps that's due to familiarity with them all.
The one song I can think of that doesn't sound like the Stones is Streets of Love which sounds more like a Scorpions or Bon Jovi power ballad from Hell.

Date: April 22, 2019 19:59

Every Stones song that has Jagger's voice on it sounds like the Stones, imo. So this list makes no sense to me.

Posted by: keefgotsoul ()
Date: April 22, 2019 20:03

TheflyingDutchman
Every Stones song that has Jagger's voice on it sounds like the Stones, imo. So this list makes no sense to me.

From one of the first paragraphs in the article:

Any tune with Mick Jagger singing on it will inherently sound like the Stones, but these songs represent the band’s boldest leaps beyond their usual muddy waters.

Posted by: Nellcote1971 ()
Date: April 22, 2019 20:35

Continental Drift?

Date: April 22, 2019 20:41

TheflyingDutchman

Really. Agreed.
I guess "Continental Drift" is a bit off. "My Girl" too. But while "Drift" sounds weird, but good, "Girl" sounds wrong.
I have to say "Have you seen your mother baby" is odd. But it is a crazy song by anyone's standards. It occupies the most special of all places with me, since it was my first Stones song. But it's a corker for sure.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 22, 2019 20:49

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 22, 2019 21:33

Palace Revolution 2000

I have to say "Have you seen your mother baby" is odd. But it is a crazy song by anyone's standards. It occupies the most special of all places with me, since it was my first Stones song. But it's a corker for sure.

The list ignores quite a lot of the 60's experentialism - there are many, many tracks from 1966 to 1967 that doesn't sound at all brownsugar/jumpingjacflash/startmeup or whatever 'primitivism'/'muddywaters'-like. Even such familiar cuts as "Paint It Black", "Let's Spend The Night Together", "Ruby Tuesday" or "She's A Rainbow" are pretty far from that area. Or if you like, "Lady Jane", "As Tears Go By" or "Angie". But they, of course, are not too 'obscure' to make such a list. Anyway, that of them picking up things like "Heaven" and "Too Much Blood" - quite many from the 80's actually - is interesting per se. Some insightful observations there, too. Especially the description of "Winter" is a spot on. That's also been the song I surprise my friends if I want to show them a side of the Stones people don't really are aware of. And they always are impressed.

Anyway, that of a rootsie-friendly band doing a gospel number ("Just Wanna See His Face") isn't that odd or experimential really. I never had thought that the song somehow differs from the over-all vibe and americana style of EXILE. Fits perfectly there. And the sentence: "Now, there’s a real case to be made that they’ve aged far better than canon fodder like “Brown Sugar.”" I disagree strongly. There is nothing wrong with the aging of "Brown Sugar" as far as I am concerned!

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-22 21:38 by Doxa.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 22, 2019 21:37

understand that these songs arent similar to their hits.. but how could they not sound like the Stones if its the Stones..? its absurd.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 22, 2019 22:21

Anything that is without the direct influence of Brian, Mick and Keith together is not The Rolling Stones.

They are the fundamentals and definition of The Rolling Stones and The Rolling Stones sound.

It didn't exist until they played together and it ceased to exist when they no longer played together.

Humourously, the Rice Krispies jingle is authentic Rolling Stones, but Exile isn't. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-22 22:26 by His Majesty.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: April 22, 2019 22:59

TheflyingDutchman

Well, I guess you're spot on correct there. The opening track from "Goddess in the Doorway" sounds like Matchbox Twenty, but that's about it.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: April 22, 2019 23:06

Might As Well Get Juiced.

Date: April 22, 2019 23:41

billwebster
TheflyingDutchman

Well, I guess you're spot on correct there. The opening track from "Goddess in the Doorway" sounds like Matchbox Twenty, but that's about it.

Yeah. There's even a certain sourpuss that called Goddess in the doorway "Dogshit in the Doorway", or something like that. Actually he trashed anything that Jagger did solo.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: April 22, 2019 23:41

I thought the author made an honest effort to compile an interesting list along with his explanations. When GHS came out in Fall 1973 I immediately thought that Winter was a blatant attempt to channel the then-current Van Morrison sound as on Saint Domonic's Listen to the Lion.

HBK

Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: April 22, 2019 23:53

Shattered is not That Stonesy

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: April 23, 2019 01:43

Well, you gotta admit, this is kinda funny:

Playlists were supposed to render the greatest-hits album obsolete, but it seems no one’s told the Rolling Stones. On Friday, the veteran rockers released their 4,832nd compilation, Honk, which comes a mere seven years and one new album after their previous compilation, GRRR!. Honk is essentially a tracklist update disguised as a new best-of collection, supplementing the group’s biggest hits from their post-ABKCO years with the tacked-on bonus tracks from their most recent best-of collections, and a smattering of blues covers from 2016’s Blue & Lonesome.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 23, 2019 01:53

HouseBoyKnows
I thought the author made an honest effort to compile an interesting list along with his explanations. When GHS came out in Fall 1973 I immediately thought that Winter was a blatant attempt to channel the then-current Van Morrison sound as on Saint Domonic's Listen to the Lion.

HBK

Interesting I pulled up Van Morrison ‘Listen to the Lion’ intrigued
but it’s too repetitive and the lyrics are not good, shame, melody and guitar is pretty but cannot touch ‘Winter’ JMO.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 23, 2019 01:55

‘Fingerprint File’ when I first heard it (tape deck oh I’m old)
but I was jarred and mystified
How unusual! I thought. In a good way. Love that tune. Classic now.
P.S. think the list from the article is way off.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 23, 2019 02:44

Nellcote1971
Continental Drift?

that's the number that immediately came to mind when seeing the thread title.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: April 23, 2019 03:38

35love
HouseBoyKnows

HBK

Interesting I pulled up Van Morrison ‘Listen to the Lion’ intrigued
but it’s too repetitive and the lyrics are not good, shame, melody and guitar is pretty but cannot touch ‘Winter’ JMO.

Ha ha yeah that song goes on for 11+ minutes but hopefully you got the idea about the overall vibe. I appreciate you checking it out. Maybe Almost Independence Day from the same album comes closer to Winter. You get the idea but yeah, too long. Those were good vamps and Mick must have been listening . . . . back in the day. I was 20 that year.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 23, 2019 06:56

adtl.

no chuck; it's great.

Date: April 23, 2019 06:57

flash is good too; he missed all of those sessions.

Date: April 23, 2019 06:58

i was borrnnnnn in a crossfiieer huricaaaaannnneeee
yes,
hops likey.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: April 23, 2019 07:20

"Till the Next Goodbye" is not very Stones-like, either lyrically or musically (though the lyrics somewhat fit the mold of the later "Some Girls" album).

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 23, 2019 09:55

Nice list. Melody could have been on it as well.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: April 23, 2019 10:08

I'm thinking Cool, Calm & Collected from Between The Buttons; it sounds more like that music-hall vibe that the Kinks had, or even some of the Small Faces, or Mabel by Procol Harum.

I also think Something Happened to Me Yesterday has a similar Kinks-esque music hall vibe, but refers to something the Kinks would never write about, i.e a drug experience. Again, that too is from Between The Buttons.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 23, 2019 11:41

You're right that Between The Buttons is not very "stones-y". Unfortunately, it's also not very good. However, they could have put some songs from Aftermath on the list too, like "I Am Waiting" for instance.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 23, 2019 12:18

His Majesty
Anything that is without the direct influence of Brian, Mick and Keith together is not The Rolling Stones.

To me the Stones only started really sounding like the Stones from 1968 on. Much before that is still a band in progress trying to find its own signature sound.

Mathijs

Date: April 23, 2019 13:16

Mathijs
His Majesty

To me the Stones only started really sounding like the Stones from 1968 on. Much before that is still a band in progress trying to find its own signature sound.

Mathijs

Well, if you listen to the Paris '67 concert -see thread below- I get the feeling that they pretty much had a Rock solid noice that defined the sound of the rhythm section that they always had on stage, Keith,Charlie and Bill. From 69-73 with a more active second guitar. With Ron I don't know. When Wyman left it all became more sterile. In fact there are many different Stones sounds, from 1963 till date. Theres' something in it for everyone: that's what you get when a band keeps going on for 55+ years. Jagger will always be their Guardian Angel, he never caused trouble that could make the band fall apart. Wihout him the Stones would have been on the Rocks for many decades already.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-23 13:22 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 23, 2019 13:28

Mathijs
His Majesty

Mathijs

You rightly identify something important, but mistakenly dismiss it.

That searching element is an important facet of The Rolling Stones sound.

The personal and musical developments of Brian, Mick and Keith in combination is the signature sound of The Rolling Stones.

"The emotional engine behind the whole thing" as Keith put it in 1977.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1228
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home