Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Stones play songs far too fast at concerts
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 20, 2019 19:12

I have a lot of albums that I can refer to if I need to hear the 'album version' of the song, before or after the concert.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 22, 2019 04:16

More Hot Rocks
Here's You Got Me Rockin and JJF at a slightly slower tempo from the hurricane relief concert.

[www.youtube.com]

ty for this; i think it worked a very nice groove in the first one;
which is usually a song from them i don't dig...it's cool i like it.
and jjf for me at this tempo was not engaging.
they are in fine form tho.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: April 22, 2019 08:01

Both are too slow. No fire in the music or vocals.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 22, 2019 08:30

hockenheim95
Stoneage
If they play a song too fast or too slow it's because the click track decides that. The tempo doesn't vary on tour liked it used to do before. That was the essence of the "Die Stern" scoop.

completely rubbish. If the Stones would use click tracks you would hear it on the IEM recordings.

Okey, you may be right. I'm not a musician and don't know which technical aids they use. But it's a set tempo that doesn't vary. Sometimes with recorded instruments on a loop.
Like if they played to a metronome. I guess Chuck is the conductor, so to speak. This became more apparent from 1989 an onwards.
Which everyone, with a pair of ears, can hear on the live recordings.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 22, 2019 08:42

AC/DC during the Razor's Edge era played too fast in concert, in my opinion. Don't think it was new drummer Chris Slade's fault, most likely Malcolm and Angus deciding to.

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: April 22, 2019 10:07

Well I like what Mick says at the Fonda Theater about I Got The Blues (i think it’s on the LP). Basically they always play it too fast but they’re going to attempt something slower. Which is not so true (great version anyway).

Date: April 22, 2019 16:52

Where do you get off saying that..... it's not your music, it's their's and however they play it, is correct

.....keep on rolling.....

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: April 22, 2019 18:00

who cares as long as the playing is good and the band shows some emotion and attitude as they delivery the songs.

Date: April 23, 2019 11:15

Stoneage
hockenheim95
Stoneage
If they play a song too fast or too slow it's because the click track decides that. The tempo doesn't vary on tour liked it used to do before. That was the essence of the "Die Stern" scoop.

completely rubbish. If the Stones would use click tracks you would hear it on the IEM recordings.

Okey, you may be right. I'm not a musician and don't know which technical aids they use. But it's a set tempo that doesn't vary. Sometimes with recorded instruments on a loop.
Like if they played to a metronome. I guess Chuck is the conductor, so to speak. This became more apparent from 1989 an onwards.
Which everyone, with a pair of ears, can hear on the live recordings.
I don't think so. Not everyone has to hear it in their IEM. E.g. only Leavell could have a bpm counter. Doesn't even have to be an audible one. I am positive that they are now at least counting it off from a prescribed bpm count. I think it is inconceivable that a production of that kind of scope with computerized lighting and sound cues would go on someone's 1-2-3-4 count. Those vary greatly.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: April 23, 2019 11:19

The entire 1981 US Tour.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 24, 2019 01:03

I'm Free at Hyde Park was a slow dragger but i dug it; it had groove and soul.
it took it's time, and had authority in that, it seems to me.
i usually like things brisk; but when it's soulful i'm very good with a slow drag.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 24, 2019 01:08

If they played it slow we only get 16 songs per concert..........

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 24, 2019 02:51

Cooltoplady
GasLightStreet
Cooltoplady
Is there anything left that people won’t complain about?

Uhhhhhh, hold on, dude! You're complaining about people complaining!!!???

You’re right! Got me there and I’m gonna complain you called me dude.

There isn’t a click track for the band to hear. The tempo is sent in rehearsal. I believe Chuck hears the tempo and calls out the count.

Dude is sex neutral - and I didn't even notice the name, exactly, so, you know, uhhhhh, or something.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: April 24, 2019 04:05

More Hot Rocks
Here's You Got Me Rockin and JJF at a slightly slower tempo from the hurricane relief concert.

[www.youtube.com]

Maybe the best JJJ ever. It wasn't slow it is juts most versions are too fast.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: April 24, 2019 04:52

GasLightStreet
Cooltoplady
GasLightStreet
Cooltoplady
Is there anything left that people won’t complain about?

Uhhhhhh, hold on, dude! You're complaining about people complaining!!!???

You’re right! Got me there and I’m gonna complain you called me dude.

There isn’t a click track for the band to hear. The tempo is sent in rehearsal. I believe Chuck hears the tempo and calls out the count.

Dude is sex neutral - and I didn't even notice the name, exactly, so, you know, uhhhhh, or something.

No problem!

Date: April 24, 2019 04:57

They're not playing to click tracks. Charlie has way too much trouble with that stupid Sympathy loop, even using his headphones.

If that idiotic Chuck Leavell was to be hearing the metronome, he would get lost at the second bar of eache song, since Charlie just doesn't play at a steady tempo. Never did. Never did Jagger, as well.

Just try stomping the beat with your feet and you'll see. You'll be forcing the foot to match the music at every bar, fill, chorus and verse.

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: April 24, 2019 12:31

Topi
The entire 1981 US Tour.

"It's not the side effects of the cocaine, I'm thinking that it must be love..."

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: April 24, 2019 12:34

Sometimes faster is better

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: April 24, 2019 14:21

bunch of goldilockses.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 24, 2019 16:46

Too fast? Not so much these days. They tend to stick closer to the studio versions with few exceptions. Now back in the seventies - 1981-82; yes they often went frantic on stage but I liked that energy. Having become a fan back in those days, now when they do them at the "correct" tempo, I often think they sound too slow even though they're not.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: April 24, 2019 17:40

Great YGMR and JJF!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 24, 2019 19:09

hopkins
ok. you're complaining about people complaining about people complaining.
i couldn't help myself.drinking smiley

wait, so you're ...
ah forget it, would take too long.

Anyway I agree, I love the speed on YaYas!

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: April 24, 2019 20:07

Back in Black Tour too.
Fast and furious.

[youtu.be]

DGA35
AC/DC during the Razor's Edge era played too fast in concert, in my opinion. Don't think it was new drummer Chris Slade's fault, most likely Malcolm and Angus deciding to.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: April 24, 2019 20:24

From my estimation from various boots that I have heard, I think that since the Stones have returned to live performances (since 2012), I think the opposite is true- they have slowed down great rock tunes. Songs like Paint It Black and Jack Flash suck live.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 24, 2019 20:42

Doxa
The tempo is not any issue, but the energy level and condition of the band is. I didn't have any problem when the band was speeding up the songs in, say, 1972 or 1973. They were red and hot back then, so playing in whatever tempo sounded natural. For example, the Brussels version of "Midnight Rambler", with its faster than hell last verses (among other goods), is still to me the greatest recorded live moment of any rock band ever. To an extent that happened also in 1981/82 tour. The speeded/coked-up versions of, say, "Let Me Go" and "She's So Cold", were fascinating to listen to. That of them being better or worse than the original studio versions is irrelevent to me; I have always liked the idea of making live versions different than the studio originals, be that changing the tempo, arrangements or whatever (and even the versions varying from tour to tour). It makes the band living and breathing those songs, the songs developing or changing as the band does. That also makes live albums more interesting to listen to, them having more artistic substance of their own. Still recall what a thrill it was to listen YA-YA'S, LOVE YOU LIVE, STILL LIFE, even GOT LIVE! back in the day and compare the live versions to the originals (or even from one live album to other, such as "Under My Thumb" and "Satisfaction" from GOT LIVE to STILL LIFE, later YA-YA'S versions to add the cake). They were not just documents of their shows, but artistic statements of their own. And, of course, then there were all those bootlegs to enrichen the story...

In 1989 it was novel and interesting the band starting to treat the songs close to originals, but however, as it turned out to be a new normal, I don't find so much joy from listening 'live versions' any longer, the only criterion being that of how well they manage to treat the studio originals. They always sound great in it their own context, wittnessing them live as a part of real concert experience, but out of it, the music alone doesn't get me too excited. That's why I also think that since the 90's, the audio needs footage to make it more enjoyable. The DVDs are today what live albums once were. The turning point was that of Licks Tour: FOUR FLICKS was/is much more important and interesting document of that tour than LIVE LICKS. The band seemingly thinks the same, giving much more thought and care to them (no wonder, since there is more money in DVD/visual format business than in a pure audio live album business). Artistically and commercially thinking, the concept of a live album died a long time ago. RIP.

- Doxa

Amen.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: April 24, 2019 21:17

Gold live era with Mick Taylor...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1434
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home